Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To shaggylegend:  "I actually do, the DRA will consist of legal experts and will look at the incident in greater details than the ordinary gaels which make up the Hearings commitee.

The hearings committee see things as black and white, the DRA not so..."
That's actually the one thing the DRA does is look at things in black and white. The only thing he'll get off on is procedure and it's hard to see a flaw in it? Is there any word Monaghan have even pursued it?

TheGreatRambo (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 21/06/2019 18:48:30    2198385

Link

Think we will finally start to come to boil this evening and I think we will win by 7-8 points in end. If Armagh play the way they have through league and championship so far our lads will get to play football and will show why there's life in the old dog yet. HON THE FARNEY

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 22/06/2019 07:18:54    2198483

Link

No word of a squad yet... I suppose I hafta admire malachy; with this tactic he almost wins half of his games!!

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 22/06/2019 09:34:57    2198505

Link

Alot of people seem to be writing us off and talking up the young Armagh team. Sure our form is poor, but we haven't turned into a crap team all of a sudden, and man for man we're absolutely the better team imo. We just have to go out and perform, and show it. Hopefully there's a kick in the team tonight.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 22/06/2019 10:52:03    2198519

Link

A lot of fans pundits etc predicting an Armagh win. In fairness on the basis of the form of both teams that is a reasonable enough prediction to make. Monaghan will need to perform to win this one as Armagh surely won't be generous as fermanagh were in chances not taken. Hard to argue with the form guide and think Armagh will put our summer to bed tonight by about 3 to 4 points. Obviously hope am wrong and best of luck to team and mgmt who owe nothing to us but certainly owe it to themselves to show their true qualities.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 22/06/2019 12:08:56    2198534

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "A lot of fans pundits etc predicting an Armagh win. In fairness on the basis of the form of both teams that is a reasonable enough prediction to make. Monaghan will need to perform to win this one as Armagh surely won't be generous as fermanagh were in chances not taken. Hard to argue with the form guide and think Armagh will put our summer to bed tonight by about 3 to 4 points. Obviously hope am wrong and best of luck to team and mgmt who owe nothing to us but certainly owe it to themselves to show their true qualities."
It goes both ways though - Armagh won't be as forgiving as Fermanagh with the chances they don't take, but I can't see them being as negative or miserly in defence either.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 22/06/2019 13:08:07    2198556

Link

This evening could be the end of an era. If it is, I hope for the teams sake they at least go down fighting, and put up a performance.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 22/06/2019 13:30:50    2198562

Link

This is MO'R 7th year to lead us through the championship.He has taken us to croke park every year bar one..Lets get behind him and the squad tonight.They need a vocal and passionate support more than ever.C,mon monaghan

thehut (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 22/06/2019 17:02:56    2198612

Link

Following from abroad on Twitter suggests we have scored in the opening 18 minutes of the second half and are 8 point down.

I recall us being in a similar situation v Down in a league quarter at HQ over 20 years ago.
Two quick goals turned it around.

Boys - we need that now and more.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 286 - 22/06/2019 20:30:05    2198676

Link

End of the road. A lot of that Monaghan has played their football.

Benjy1000 (Cavan) - Posts: 78 - 22/06/2019 20:31:06    2198677

Link

Ah jaysus. I meant a goal in the Armagh net, not ours.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 286 - 22/06/2019 20:33:13    2198679

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "A lot of fans pundits etc predicting an Armagh win. In fairness on the basis of the form of both teams that is a reasonable enough prediction to make. Monaghan will need to perform to win this one as Armagh surely won't be generous as fermanagh were in chances not taken. Hard to argue with the form guide and think Armagh will put our summer to bed tonight by about 3 to 4 points. Obviously hope am wrong and best of luck to team and mgmt who owe nothing to us but certainly owe it to themselves to show their true qualities."
You called it right unfortunately. Very poor season overall. I suppose it was too much to hope they'd pick it up again. Very poor selection policy this year too. Big fall from being in a position to qualify for the All Ireland to this exit. Teams need to be refreshed and Monaghan managment took a chance on not doing that this year and have been slow to do it in the past. Not just Malachy either.

There wasn't much evidence of this type of football at all this year:
https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1025806047448113152

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 22/06/2019 21:04:05    2198690

Link

That's that anyway. Alot of people called it, we haven't been at the races pretty much all year.

Some lads will call it a day, and it's time for a change and a freshen up. Malachy has already announced his resignation, so at least that's clear and done, and the county board have a good while to look for a suitable replacement.

Thanks for the memories Malachy. He's a man who brought many great days to this county and he owes us absolutely nothing.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 22/06/2019 21:10:12    2198695

Link

Let us move on and start developing the constant stream of footballers that the county is producing, these are golden days for Monaghan in my eyes Malachy left more behind than "great memories"
Onwards and upwards I say

MONMAD (Monaghan) - Posts: 13 - 22/06/2019 22:04:52    2198736

Link

Firstly I want to pay tribute to Malachy and say thanks. When he took over we looked washed up the remaining players of the Banty era looked destined never to win an Ulster were in Div 3 and had barely won a game of significance in two years under Eamonn McE. He brought us two Ulster titles successive promotions regular div 1 football an all Ireland semi final and last 8 football every year bar one. For a county starved of any success for nearly 30 years it was some going. He had the benefit of a once in a generation forward incredibly hard versatile defenders/midfielders but he put shape to the team and made them v hard to beat or play against. A lot of lads who played under previous managers improved hugely under him. They arguably underachieved through as they were good enough to win more Ulsters certainly but all in all a hugely successful reign with some of the best days out I can remember as a Monaghan fan and huge pride in the jersey and the journey.

Tonight was coming all year a lot of us called it. It had been a weird year and only those closest to the camp will really know why the wheels came off so quick after the run to the last four last year. As a fan watching on the team looked spent running on empty at times playing in patches but never for a full game. Not sure if was injuries or training didn't go well or just mentally the team weren't at this year and the dreaded same voice syndrome had kicked in. The build up to the Cavan game was very negative and downbeat and there was never really any confidence the team could do anything this summer. The loss of form of some of our key defenders and leaders of the team was very damaging as we were wide open in matches to fairly handy goals and the team just didn't the legs or oomp in them to counter this. We have been left behind this year by younger fitter teams playing fast attacking football while we laboured away being a poor imitation of our 2018 selves. On a positive note through I think there is still some great quality in the squad lads will retire but we can rebuild and recharge. Hopefully now the county board get in the right man to do this. The new man will be keen through to convince some lads not to walk away it might be very hard to replace the massive experience some lads have.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 22/06/2019 22:31:40    2198750

Link

Recruit from within. Would like to see Eoin lennon remaining along with some of the 00s crew like Damien Freeman. Next appointment is a very important one!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 22/06/2019 23:50:35    2198780

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Recruit from within. Would like to see Eoin lennon remaining along with some of the 00s crew like Damien Freeman. Next appointment is a very important one!"
Just avoid another Eamon McEnaney ..........at all costs ! Banty myybe needed to bring back our pride !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 23/06/2019 00:39:22    2198793

Link

Thanks Malachy for 7 great years. A class act on and off the field!

RightFull (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 23/06/2019 03:16:34    2198809

Link

Best of luck to Malachy. Banty the only man for the job.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 23/06/2019 03:49:46    2198811

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Just avoid another Eamon McEnaney ..........at all costs ! Banty myybe needed to bring back our pride !"
Banty ? I for one wouldn't go near a county game if that happens , nothing from the current management please ,, new thinking needed here , firstly we will see what the county board is made of now , can they think outside the box ?? Testing times for them .. the less school teachers the better .. There is still a good core team here and hopefully the full potential of what is in the county is used . Bring in the few rebel players , bring in a management team with guts who knows what it is to earn their crust the hard way, a team with fire in their belly , a manager that can bring in the youth and rotate them , has the balls to drop players that aren't good enough , that doesn't create a golden circle , there is one man capable of this in the county who is silently plugging away with the under 17's .. Nothing named in the above posts would have any impact whatsoever, all we would get is a name everyone knew

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 23/06/2019 07:43:55    2198819

Link