Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheManWithNoName:  "Honestly sick of the sub par performances this year and every other.sure we got to a semi last year against the old enemy which could not have been more perfect time to do one over on them,but sadly no.we must face facts.we are weak and pathetic,the couple of games this year,my god,disgusting isn't the word

Now I know ye are all saying a true fan doesn't give up on their side when times are tough but with malachy giving up the reins just reeks of him saying to himself "this lot are brutal,I'm outta here"

Even after the failures of the last years I have tried to keep believing that we were on the road to somewhere that things would get better,like the battered wife going back,saying to herself "it will be different this time" but that's just dellusional.its not going to be...

Barring manzies,hughes & hughes.co and el beggan I would scrap the rest of the team.I can see myself being rather uninterested in our upcoming fixtures for quite the foreseeable.we just don't have it and the future looks dark and bleak going forward...."
Absolutely disgusted with your comment . Those players have given their all and have sacrificed family and social life to wear the Monaghan jersey with pride and this is coming from someone who knows at first hand . Days they will perform to the best of their ability and other days they won't but that's life . For you to post a comment like that is totally degrading to all those players who have given their all over the past few years . You don't deserve to be classed as a real supporter if that's all the comment you can offer . Your suggestion not to see yourself being interested in forthcoming fixtures is a good one because Monaghan don't need supporters (if you could call yourself one) like that. A true supporter is one who is there for them through the good times and the bad times

Positivity (Monaghan) - Posts: 1 - 24/06/2019 16:01:52    2200016

Link

Replying To TheManWithNoName:  "Honestly sick of the sub par performances this year and every other.sure we got to a semi last year against the old enemy which could not have been more perfect time to do one over on them,but sadly no.we must face facts.we are weak and pathetic,the couple of games this year,my god,disgusting isn't the word

Now I know ye are all saying a true fan doesn't give up on their side when times are tough but with malachy giving up the reins just reeks of him saying to himself "this lot are brutal,I'm outta here"

Even after the failures of the last years I have tried to keep believing that we were on the road to somewhere that things would get better,like the battered wife going back,saying to herself "it will be different this time" but that's just dellusional.its not going to be...

Barring manzies,hughes & hughes.co and el beggan I would scrap the rest of the team.I can see myself being rather uninterested in our upcoming fixtures for quite the foreseeable.we just don't have it and the future looks dark and bleak going forward...."
Lay off the whiskey man.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 24/06/2019 16:31:44    2200035

Link

So this is your 2nd post of all time. !! so you didn't even post your delight on two Ulster Titles.. I think we have a troll on our hands lads.. duly ignore.!
ok.. we might be in a decline as we rebuild over the next few years but the talent is there in abundance in the county and I'll enjoy our rise to be a top 4 team again... as the saying goes, you can't have the highs without the lows, it must be quite boring to be a Dublin supporter for the past number of years.! (tongue in cheek)... any wonder they don't go in great numbers to their provincial matches...
Ulster titles aside, the two big memories for me since 2007 are:
Beating Donegal in Omagh in rd 4 qualifier in 2007.
Beating Galway in Salthill last year.. that's one evening I'll long remember..! lovely sunny summers evening.. Monaghan supporters out numbering Galway ones 2-1...
question.. how many of the Monaghan team that got to semi final last year played against Kerry in 2007 ? probably only Vinny and Dessie...! we'll bounce back stronger again... I think Super 8's next year is a target... remember, we are still a Div 1 team...!! we are not starting from ground zero...

SouthMonMan (Monaghan) - Posts: 68 - 24/06/2019 16:40:23    2200045

Link

Replying To Positivity:  "Absolutely disgusted with your comment . Those players have given their all and have sacrificed family and social life to wear the Monaghan jersey with pride and this is coming from someone who knows at first hand . Days they will perform to the best of their ability and other days they won't but that's life . For you to post a comment like that is totally degrading to all those players who have given their all over the past few years . You don't deserve to be classed as a real supporter if that's all the comment you can offer . Your suggestion not to see yourself being interested in forthcoming fixtures is a good one because Monaghan don't need supporters (if you could call yourself one) like that. A true supporter is one who is there for them through the good times and the bad times"
Id buy you a pint if I met ya couldn't have put it better myself.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 24/06/2019 16:44:58    2200051

Link

Monaghan have a great team. iv said it before and ill say it again. beggan, wylie, hughes, mccarron, mccarthy and mansie will stroll on to every county team. we also have kearns, ward, o'hanlon, mcanespie, walsh and finty. i could go on...other teams wud bite ur hand off for that kind of talent..

It went a bit stale - a fresh outlook can only benefit us i think...banty as assistant manager at best. he'll get lads pumped but doesn't have the necessities required to be top dawg.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 24/06/2019 16:59:21    2200062

Link

TheManWithNoName you obviously do not remember the pre banty days when monaghan basically ploughed along in the lower leagues and lost the first round of Ulster and that was it. Season over. Throw in the odd first round win and that was as good as it got. Then Banty installed a bit of belief in the mid 2000's and Malachy has given us some great days out especially 2013 & 2015 ulsters and then last years super 8's against Kerry and Galway to mention just 4.

I like everyone else have been disappointed with this year. Everything just seemed a bit stale. Was sitting in Clones on Sat before the game not feeling like a win was likely. I was happy enough at half time but then there was nothing left in the second half and we limped out. But I still think the last decade and a half has been great following Monaghan around the country. There have been some poor displays but we've had some really great moments mixing it with the best teams in the country. And although this was a dissappointing end to the malachy era he has still left us in Division 1 and we again will be testing ourselves against the best teams next spring. The highs during his time have definately outweighed the lows of the Longford defeat in 16 and the Fermanagh defeat last year. I wish him well and I don't think he will be out of managment for too long before a high profile club or another county is contacting him.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 327 - 24/06/2019 17:00:05    2200063

Link

That's the spirit!
Have you put your hat in the ring for Monaghan Sports psychologist for the 2020 season?

FinlaysLeftFoot (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 24/06/2019 17:25:53    2200085

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Got Corduff relegated
Got Monaghan Harps relegated
Got Monaghan (county) relegated
Got Meath relegated.

Jumped ship from the minor team after one year.
Left yesterday game with 15 minutes to go..."
You're being a wee bit harsh on Banty.

He left Monaghan in league 1 and went out in round 4 to a very good Kildare team (probably should have made the final that year) after six day turnaround from losing an Ulster final. Practically no teams managed to beat that type of turnaround. It was a bad day in the Ulster final that year but that was still a good Tyrone team.

I would not mind seeing him back under the right conditions. He is a very positive man and ergo a great motivator. He knows some of the younger lads coming through very well. He could be the face of it all but with a very clever back room team is the only way it could work.

If we have real ambition we go for Rochford. There is talent coming through that might be tempting...

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 178 - 24/06/2019 17:45:11    2200099

Link

SO many usernames...so little to say!!! The trademarks are "all too easy" to spot. Enjoy the qualifiers, they are fun in July...

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 710 - 24/06/2019 17:47:58    2200102

Link

Replying To .tribute:  "I don't mean to stick the boot in. It was a great few years fo Monaghan. Just found it strange Monaghan doing better than Cavan for a few years. Not normal"
I'm the most part of 40 years of age.

In that time Monaghan have won 4 ulster titles and appeared in a further 3 finals.

Cavan have won 1 ulster title in that time. 22 years ago now so covering the same period Cavan have been in 5 ulster finals, winning 1. 22 years ago. Its almost 1 title in 50 years at this stage...

So whats the norm? Maybe you have recently woke up having been frozen in 1970? In which case I get the confusion.

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 178 - 24/06/2019 18:12:47    2200119

Link

Replying To SouthMonMan:  "So this is your 2nd post of all time. !! so you didn't even post your delight on two Ulster Titles.. I think we have a troll on our hands lads.. duly ignore.!
ok.. we might be in a decline as we rebuild over the next few years but the talent is there in abundance in the county and I'll enjoy our rise to be a top 4 team again... as the saying goes, you can't have the highs without the lows, it must be quite boring to be a Dublin supporter for the past number of years.! (tongue in cheek)... any wonder they don't go in great numbers to their provincial matches...
Beating Galway in Salthill last year.. that's one evening I'll long remember..! lovely sunny summers evening.. Monaghan supporters out numbering Galway ones 2-1...
question.. how many of the Monaghan team that got to semi final last year played against Kerry in 2007 ? probably only Vinny and Dessie...! we'll bounce back stronger again... I think Super 8's next year is a target... remember, we are still a Div 1 team...!! we are not starting from ground zero..."
Vinny and Dessie both played in the 2007 match V Kerry and Darren Hughes came on as a sub I think.....

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 327 - 24/06/2019 18:19:30    2200125

Link

Replying To .tribute:  "I don't mean to stick the boot in. It was a great few years fo Monaghan. Just found it strange Monaghan doing better than Cavan for a few years. Not normal"
"found it strange Monaghan doing better than Cavan for a few years. Not normal"
What a joke.....check the facts......for practically the past 50 years Monaghan have been more successful than Cavan ....fact !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 24/06/2019 18:19:38    2200126

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "Best thing we can do now is support our County. We have a challenging period ahead - new management, retirements, blooding new players, sponsors moving on, standards dropping and probable resignation to a few years on the periphery without any glamour fixtures and victories. The cycle is inevitable but our County remains the same and we can't choose to celebrate victories like Salthill last year and ignore the less glamorous days ahead. Nobody wants to fall back to the dark days of the 90's when we were the whipping boys of Ulster. The players have always responded to the great support they get so while the team may be in transition - the supporters should not....

I'm looking forward to the new era… we might even get another trip to Waterford!!!"
Hear Hear !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 24/06/2019 18:21:14    2200128

Link

Hopefully you will stay away & take your misery elsewhere !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 24/06/2019 18:30:00    2200133

Link

Hopefully you will stay away & take your misery elsewhere !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 24/06/2019 18:30:00    2200134

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "
Replying To SouthMonMan:  "So this is your 2nd post of all time. !! so you didn't even post your delight on two Ulster Titles.. I think we have a troll on our hands lads.. duly ignore.!
question.. how many of the Monaghan team that got to semi final last year played against Kerry in 2007 ? probably only Vinny and Dessie...! we'll bounce back stronger again... I think Super 8's next year is a target... remember, we are still a Div 1 team...!! we are not starting from ground zero..."
Vinny and Dessie both played in the 2007 match V Kerry and Darren Hughes came on as a sub I think....."
Yeah Hughes came on McManus was an unused substitute think he was a half back then. Dessie marked gooch Vinnie played edge of the square. Still worst feeling ever had leaving a match. Banty could not have come closer to getting us into an all ireland semi final 11 years before malachy and 3 years after div 4 football. A lot of people on here forget that. That said that was of a particular time and Banty was tailor made for that group of players and don't think bringing him back now would work. Game has moved on a lot.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 24/06/2019 19:33:30    2200182

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "SO many usernames...so little to say!!! The trademarks are "all too easy" to spot. Enjoy the qualifiers, they are fun in July..."
My thoughts exactly Eddie. The obsession is quite astounding!

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 798 - 24/06/2019 19:49:33    2200198

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "
Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "[quote=SouthMonMan:  "So this is your 2nd post of all time. !! so you didn't even post your delight on two Ulster Titles.. I think we have a troll on our hands lads.. duly ignore.!
Vinny and Dessie both played in the 2007 match V Kerry and Darren Hughes came on as a sub I think....."
Yeah Hughes came on McManus was an unused substitute think he was a half back then. Dessie marked gooch Vinnie played edge of the square. Still worst feeling ever had leaving a match. Banty could not have come closer to getting us into an all ireland semi final 11 years before malachy and 3 years after div 4 football. A lot of people on here forget that. That said that was of a particular time and Banty was tailor made for that group of players and don't think bringing him back now would work. Game has moved on a lot."]that was of a particular time and Banty was tailor made for that group of players and don't think bringing him back now would work. Game has moved on a lot.
In fairness Banty did extremely well with our Minors last year so that negates your 'game has moved on' argument. Believe he will do well with under 20s this year...will just have to see.
With his motivational skills and a good tactician alongside .....he is a viable option...certainly deserving of respect !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 24/06/2019 21:34:11    2200301

Link

Do your fellow county men & women a favour & do not attend any more matches. We don't need the likes of you.

BorderlineBlue (Monaghan) - Posts: 6 - 25/06/2019 01:48:15    2200395

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "
Replying To seanie08:  "[quote=Tim_NicebutDim:  "[quote=SouthMonMan:  "So this is your 2nd post of all time. !! so you didn't even post your delight on two Ulster Titles.. I think we have a troll on our hands lads.. duly ignore.!
Yeah Hughes came on McManus was an unused substitute think he was a half back then. Dessie marked gooch Vinnie played edge of the square. Still worst feeling ever had leaving a match. Banty could not have come closer to getting us into an all ireland semi final 11 years before malachy and 3 years after div 4 football. A lot of people on here forget that. That said that was of a particular time and Banty was tailor made for that group of players and don't think bringing him back now would work. Game has moved on a lot."]that was of a particular time and Banty was tailor made for that group of players and don't think bringing him back now would work. Game has moved on a lot.
In fairness Banty did extremely well with our Minors last year so that negates your 'game has moved on' argument. Believe he will do well with under 20s this year...will just have to see.
With his motivational skills and a good tactician alongside .....he is a viable option...certainly deserving of respect !"]Last year's minor team was exceptional and expected to be there or there abouts when it came to winning honours. He obviously thought this year's team wouldn't be so he jumped ship to the under 20's who have a very talented bunch of players.
Banty was always a great man to put up and argument that he brought Monaghan from Division 4 to Division 1, in his first year he won the Division 2 Title, so again he built a narrative to boost his credentials..

He ran away from Wexford after a year, the majority of the Meath County board voted to remove him, only for the two thirds majority rule keeping him in place.

McEntee,Rochford and McGuinness should be the only people in contention for the job.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 25/06/2019 09:21:15    2200432

Link