Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A league campaign to forget after narrowly avoiding relegation..all roads lead to Breffni Park in May

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 39 - 25/03/2019 23:23:04    2175454

Link

Have been pretty pessimistic about the team throughout the league think the central areas have gone backwards since last year notwithstanding we have been missing some key players. That said the championship will be soon upon us and the team will need to knuckle down now in preparations. The target has to be to get back to an Ulster final and beat Tyrone in Clones on way to super 8s.Anything less than that is failure. Its Ulster or bust for malachy and the players. The super 8s will look after themselves if we get there.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 29/03/2019 12:18:52    2176193

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Have been pretty pessimistic about the team throughout the league think the central areas have gone backwards since last year notwithstanding we have been missing some key players. That said the championship will be soon upon us and the team will need to knuckle down now in preparations. The target has to be to get back to an Ulster final and beat Tyrone in Clones on way to super 8s.Anything less than that is failure. Its Ulster or bust for malachy and the players. The super 8s will look after themselves if we get there."
Think ulster is between donegal,Tyrone and us.

Top eight in Ireland

1. Dublin
2 Kerry
3 mayo
4 Tyrone
5galway
6 Monaghan
7 Donegal
8.Meath

You could argue Monaghan at 5,7 or 8.

Would have expectations of super 8 qualification. Could win ulster but hard to know as ulster is a dog fight.

Just not good enough for sam

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 491 - 02/04/2019 21:23:22    2177377

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Think ulster is between donegal,Tyrone and us.

Top eight in Ireland

1. Dublin
2 Kerry
3 mayo
4 Tyrone
5galway
6 Monaghan
7 Donegal
8.Meath

You could argue Monaghan at 5,7 or 8.

Would have expectations of super 8 qualification. Could win ulster but hard to know as ulster is a dog fight.

Just not good enough for sam"
I think we're comfortably in top 5...we didn't become a bad team overnight. time to dust off the cobwebs...we need full panel and, in an ideal world, malachy to quit but we might get something with him...we've already lost out on 50% of the trophies available to us - i don't wanna miss out on the other 50% too.

Clubs to keep an eye on now.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 05/04/2019 15:20:57    2177823

Link

Looking forward to the game against Cavan, I hope we get a few good weeks training under our belts and game time with the Clubs. Realistically I think there is 13 spots on the team which we know for a fact who is going to start which is a worrying things. Probably a spot in midfield and one in the half forward line is where we are looking to fill the gaps, with a lot of players putting up their hands.

Also is there any update on Kelly's red card or an appeal ?
Any word on Kieran Hughes?

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 186 - 07/04/2019 12:34:36    2177961

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Looking forward to the game against Cavan, I hope we get a few good weeks training under our belts and game time with the Clubs. Realistically I think there is 13 spots on the team which we know for a fact who is going to start which is a worrying things. Probably a spot in midfield and one in the half forward line is where we are looking to fill the gaps, with a lot of players putting up their hands.

Also is there any update on Kelly's red card or an appeal ?
Any word on Kieran Hughes?"
''is there any update on Kelly's red card or an appeal ? Any word on Kieran Hughes?" Correct....those are the 2 all important questions !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 07/04/2019 16:44:00    2177970

Link

Hope DH ok

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 780 - 07/04/2019 19:36:15    2177979

Link

Darren in trouble with that ankle after today

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 07/04/2019 19:59:42    2177982

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Darren in trouble with that ankle after today"
Yeah rumour has it he could be facing 3 years out injured with it but then I was chatting to another lad and he said he was facing 3 days out so you know urself!! #yawn

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 265 - 07/04/2019 20:41:10    2177988

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "Yeah rumour has it he could be facing 3 years out injured with it but then I was chatting to another lad and he said he was facing 3 days out so you know urself!! #yawn"
Great to see such a level of compassion for one of our best servants for a number of years. What matter how many days he might be out for, he'll be out of action for whatever amount it is. Which for a self employed man is no small matter.
But I'm sure that Darren will greatly appreciate your #yawn support and concern the next time he has to take a big hit
If you had to watch and or listen to him in pain you might have a bit more common decency than to make little of a man's injuries

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 43 - 07/04/2019 22:10:55    2177997

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Great to see such a level of compassion for one of our best servants for a number of years. What matter how many days he might be out for, he'll be out of action for whatever amount it is. Which for a self employed man is no small matter.
But I'm sure that Darren will greatly appreciate your #yawn support and concern the next time he has to take a big hit
If you had to watch and or listen to him in pain you might have a bit more common decency than to make little of a man's injuries"
Well said . Brilliant servant to monaghan he is .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 172 - 07/04/2019 22:19:19    2177998

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Darren in trouble with that ankle after today"
From where I was standing, I thought it looked to be a knee injury rather than his ankle. In any case he seemed to be in a lot of pain. Hope it's not as bad as it looked and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 98 - 07/04/2019 22:31:36    2177999

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Well said . Brilliant servant to monaghan he is ."
Darren had a great league...all we can do is wait n see...jesus midfield is in trouble now..i guess mal will play carl and neilo in there vrs cavan??

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 08/04/2019 09:20:56    2178010

Link

Darren Hughes injury would be a devastating blow, arguably our most important player and in a position that we lack depth to say the least.

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 39 - 08/04/2019 09:38:01    2178011

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Great to see such a level of compassion for one of our best servants for a number of years. What matter how many days he might be out for, he'll be out of action for whatever amount it is. Which for a self employed man is no small matter.
If you had to watch and or listen to him in pain you might have a bit more common decency than to make little of a man's injuries"
the point I was trying to make was that instead of enjoying the build up to el classio in may which im counting down the days to, all we will be listening to is rumours and crap about the injury from ill informed sources hence the yawn bit.
Darren Hughes is a warrior and well go down as 1 of Monaghan greatest ever players I wasn't trying to belittle him and please god he will be ok for Cavan because outside McManus and began he is our most important player

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 265 - 08/04/2019 09:41:52    2178012

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "the point I was trying to make was that instead of enjoying the build up to el classio in may which im counting down the days to, all we will be listening to is rumours and crap about the injury from ill informed sources hence the yawn bit.
Darren Hughes is a warrior and well go down as 1 of Monaghan greatest ever players I wasn't trying to belittle him and please god he will be ok for Cavan because outside McManus and began he is our most important player"
Agreed a lot of people put up to know everything here and put out false information just like the fintan kelly injury who many said was out for the whole year..

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 39 - 08/04/2019 11:28:50    2178024

Link

Best wishes to Darren Hughes on reported injury. Strangely enough two years ago around same time he got an knee injury so been unlucky. He has played some amount of ball in last year mainly because he is such a vital presence for club and county and has been for well over a decade. Midfield options pretty threadbare now.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 08/04/2019 17:52:44    2178081

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "the point I was trying to make was that instead of enjoying the build up to el classio in may which im counting down the days to, all we will be listening to is rumours and crap about the injury from ill informed sources hence the yawn bit.
Darren Hughes is a warrior and well go down as 1 of Monaghan greatest ever players I wasn't trying to belittle him and please god he will be ok for Cavan because outside McManus and began he is our most important player"
I wish Darren all the best but to say he is one of the greatest is plain silly.

Would he make Monaghan's best fifteen this last 20 years let alone the all time great Monaghan selection

Would love to see him back early

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 491 - 08/04/2019 20:56:27    2178104

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "I wish Darren all the best but to say he is one of the greatest is plain silly.

Would he make Monaghan's best fifteen this last 20 years let alone the all time great Monaghan selection

Would love to see him back early"
He would walk onto it any Monaghan 15..
Let me guess you would have your own club man dick clerkin on ahead of him on Monaghans best 15 over the last 20 years.. I think I know who 99.99% of people would pick......

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 265 - 08/04/2019 21:50:22    2178114

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "Yeah rumour has it he could be facing 3 years out injured with it but then I was chatting to another lad and he said he was facing 3 days out so you know urself!! #yawn"
Spot on. You will have know-alls like ginelli giving a different update each day. Hopefully Darren will be ok but it looked bad. Without Darren,Breffni becomes a much tougher assignment.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 98 - 08/04/2019 22:26:31    2178121

Link