Kildare Forum

Dublin v Kildare Leinster semi final 2013?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I hope to god Kildare win this. It would be great to have a Kildare v Meath/Louth/Wicklow/Wexford final. Just something different like in 2010.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 05/06/2013 17:54:17    1399658

Link

Hope and God are needed in abundance here.There is little chance of this ,i fear.The reaity is that Dublin are stronger ,more skillful, have a huge reserve and kick pass with great accuracy.This is the nearest to a semi for the lillies this year.Then its the qualifiers for more false optimism and justification of the money spent on the Geezer reign.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 05/06/2013 20:12:41    1399807

Link

An exciting match in prospect. I'd suggest there is and will be as much gamesmanship amongst posters as there will be between Gavin and McGeeney before this one throws in!! The Dubs are favourites on form and no one could argue with that. They also have a stronger panel than Killdare. I actually firmly believe this match will be won by the team who wants it most. Thats the unknown here. Dublin have the talent but will Kildare have the stronger desire? Who knows...

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 601 - 06/06/2013 11:46:20    1400066

Link

The Dubs are favourites on form and no one could argue with that. They also have a stronger panel than Killdare. I actually firmly believe this match will be won by the team who wants it most. Thats the unknown here. Dublin have the talent but will Kildare have the stronger desire? Who knows

Dublin will win. Trust me. Kildare are not good enough.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 06/06/2013 12:34:20    1400139

Link

Wayno are we allowed believe we have a chance in this one or is it fairer for us to admit that Dublin will win?

I mean if we start shouting aloud that we think we could win we'd only be labelled as being "still as deluded as ever" by other posters.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3643 - 06/06/2013 14:41:31    1400321

Link

Wayno are we allowed believe we have a chance in this one or is it fairer for us to admit that Dublin will win?
____

Of corse you are allowed to believe. :)

Believe away ... But I genuinely (Call it arrogance if you want I prefer to call it confidence and based on what ive seen this year so far) thin Dublin will win this.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 06/06/2013 15:55:32    1400401

Link

I expect Dublin to win but Kildare are not without hope. Dublin are a better team than Mayo and yet look what happened in last year's semi final.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 06/06/2013 17:06:19    1400502

Link

I expect Dublin to win but Kildare are not without hope. Dublin are a better team than Mayo and yet look what happened in last year's semi final.

_______

Well I actually thought Mayo where better than Dublin last year. The league results and championship 2012 will prove that.

Based on this year Dublin are the better side than Mayo, But then again based on this year Dublin are better than everyone this year.

Im not saying Dublin are gonna hammer Kildare, But Dublin should really beat them. Kildare are limited in my opinion. But Dublin can certainly be hurt

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 06/06/2013 18:34:48    1400616

Link

Yeah, you are right waynoI. Now this Kildare side has the potential to evolve into a more rounded side but right now we have some glaring weaknesses that Dublin look perfectly setup to exploit. I won't be going in without hope, far from it but there's no doubt Dublin are deserved favourites. To win we'll have to play at a level we've never shown before and with a tactical astuteness that management haven't always been renowned for. Keep it tidy and put in the work and maybe it can all come together on the day but it is a big ask. There's no point saying otherwise.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 06/06/2013 19:36:04    1400680

Link

@Doublehop - I wouldnt say we have any glaring weaknesses I think we have a solid team, glaring is a bit strong. We have a strong set of backs that have done well on the best around in recent years, a good midfield with Darryl working hard and daniels pace. The forward line is the only area I would be wary of, i would be worried about Johnny's pace against a top corner back and Brophy is still inexperienced, TOC is still not scoring but if we could get Smith and Johnston firing I think they could be the difference.

Bigwilly (Kildare) - Posts: 136 - 07/06/2013 08:59:30    1400824

Link

I would be far more concerned about the backs and midfield than the forwards. And for me anyways that has been the case for a few years now.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 07/06/2013 09:56:43    1400864

Link

big willy- we have not beaten a big team in years so we must have weaknesses that they exploit. Our forwards are average, Johnny is still the only one who proves on the big day that he can do it consistently. The big teams beat us because they take their chances, ultimately we don't take our chances. Dublin forwards will be ruthless, we'll kick wide. The game will provide a good insight into how our younger players handle the big croker atmosphere, its a massive step up for them but they will learn a lot from it i expect.

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 07/06/2013 10:00:45    1400868

Link

Every team has weaknesses, I just don't think there are any "glaring" weaknesses. I dont think there will be much in this game to be honest and think whatever team really put it up to Dublin whether that be us or someone else will beat them. I remember a fancied Dublin team playing Kerry a few years back and they just dogged them and had the game won at half time

Bigwilly (Kildare) - Posts: 136 - 07/06/2013 13:01:58    1401103

Link

We can't handle strong runners through the middle. Our only tactic is to concede frees when this happens.
We don't create enough chances when trying to play counter-attacking football and get over-run if we overly-focus on attack.
We constantly win more ball off opposing kick-outs than off our own despite having tried two keepers in the league.
We are too reliant on younger players who shouldn't have to carry the team as much as they currently are.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 07/06/2013 13:47:01    1401160

Link

06/06/2013 11:46:20
Kildare30
County: Kildare

An exciting match in prospect. I'd suggest there is and will be as much gamesmanship amongst posters as there will be between Gavin and McGeeney before this one throws in!! The Dubs are favourites on form and no one could argue with that. They also have a stronger panel than Killdare. I actually firmly believe this match will be won by the team who wants it most. Thats the unknown here. Dublin have the talent but will Kildare have the stronger desire? Who knows...

Thats a good post dude. Ok Dublin look to have the stronger panel, but the desire on the day can do anything for a team good and bad. From a Dublin perspective it will do us no good to have a day like we did against yis in the league. Looking forward to it and may the best team win.

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 07/06/2013 14:20:35    1401194

Link

07/06/2013 13:01:58
Bigwilly

Every team has weaknesses, I just don't think there are any "glaring" weaknesses. I dont think there will be much in this game to be honest and think whatever team really put it up to Dublin whether that be us or someone else will beat them. I remember a fancied Dublin team playing Kerry a few years back and they just dogged them and had the game won at half time

I must point out thats a completely different team from a different era. So you are not compering like with like. The same way when you had Dermot Early in Midifield three years ago yous where a different animal. As for this myth thats building 'teams putting it up to Dublin', well Donegal (who are the benchmark) certainly put up to us in Ballbofey and while we did not beat them we didn't wilt (like Dublin Teams under Piller). So its not a fair assessment. As I have said before if McGeeney can get his tactics right, Kildare will be right in this.

bluedubstar (Dublin) - Posts: 835 - 07/06/2013 14:26:06    1401204

Link

It's a great oppurtunity for the young players to show what they can do in Croke Park. Whatever the outcome I believe we will be a stronger team after it whether it's the final or the qualifiers. We can be realistic and hopeful at the same time!

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 07/06/2013 14:27:03    1401207

Link

I must point out thats a completely different team from a different era. So you are not compering like with like. The same way when you had Dermot Early in Midifield three years ago yous where a different animal. As for this myth thats building 'teams putting it up to Dublin', well Donegal (who are the benchmark) certainly put up to us in Ballbofey and while we did not beat them we didn't wilt (like Dublin Teams under Piller). So its not a fair assessment. As I have said before if McGeeney can get his tactics right, Kildare will be right in this.

_________

Exactly, Dublin no longer wilt. When they are beaten they are beaten by the better team.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 07/06/2013 14:29:52    1401212

Link

murof

It's a great oppurtunity for the young players to show what they can do in Croke Park. Whatever the outcome I believe we will be a stronger team after it whether it's the final or the qualifiers. We can be realistic and hopeful at the same time!

Indeed we can.

We've already performed well in Division One, securing our status for next season, and have won a Leinster title with the under 21's, our season / year certainly won't be defined by the match against Dublin. Everything that's gone before it, and everything that will come after it will only serve to further improve the development of the younger lads and help improve us in the future.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3643 - 07/06/2013 14:54:56    1401243

Link

We've already performed well in Division One, securing our status for next season, and have won a Leinster title with the under 21's, our season / year certainly won't be defined by the match against Dublin. Everything that's gone before it, and everything that will come after it will only serve to further improve the development of the younger lads and help improve us in the future.

______

That's basically it in a nutshell.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 07/06/2013 15:11:04    1401268

Link