Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Galway4ever:  "I believe he's injured"
Lord he has been injured constantly since he came back from Oz.
Very hard for him to fulfill his potential if he can't get an injury free run.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 15/09/2020 21:41:38    2292352

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "To be fair, McDaid played there against Mayo last year. I presume Silke will slot in CB.

Am very interested to see how Darragh Silke progresses. The extra few months and a season of senior club football under his belt will bring him on no end.

Can't see DB being brought in. You need to commit to the cause and it wouldn't do squad morale any good to have someone come in just because the hurlers are knocked out. I have no issue with late additions being made to the squad but only when it is performance related i.e. someone pushing hard for selection. Not keen when it is an availability issue"
No I think McDaid played in midfield against Mayo. Might have had 6 on his back. You mustn't have been there or watched the game....

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 15/09/2020 22:22:56    2292365

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Lord he has been injured constantly since he came back from Oz.
Very hard for him to fulfill his potential if he can't get an injury free run."
?? I think he played in all FBD games and all NL games bar the Meath one. Am I missing something?

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 15/09/2020 22:28:37    2292367

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "?? I think he played in all FBD games and all NL games bar the Meath one. Am I missing something?"
He did indeed. That's about a 2 month stretch there with no injuries.
Since he came back from Oz, he has been out injured for several long stretches. He missed almost the entire league campaign last year and the start of the championship.
And was injured again after the Mayo game in the championship last year which led to a long layoff.
So overall he has spent more time injured than fit over the past 18 months. Which was essentially the point I was making.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 16/09/2020 09:29:07    2292398

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "McDaid and J Daly are big losses to our halfback line with their pace a vital ingredient to the teams progression this year, the replacements mentioned while competent won't have the same effect"
Huge losses. Back to the Bradshaw/O'Donnell pairing which will hardly get us exited.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 16/09/2020 10:03:08    2292409

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Huge losses. Back to the Bradshaw/O'Donnell pairing which will hardly get us exited."
McDaid's is a hamstring complaint from what I hear? He may well be back shortly. Daly out for the season alright.
I would say Liam Silke will be at number 6.
A disadvantage going into the Mayo game is the fact that our county finals won't be played until 11th October, which is the weekend before that game.
In contrast the Mayo finals are this weekend coming so their players have 4 weeks leading into that game free of club commitments.
This means the likely absence of all of the Corofin players, plus Gary O Donnell (or Sean Kelly, Bradshaw if Moycullen win),
Shane Walsh (assuming K-C beat Killererin which they should) and either Adrian Varley or Conor Gleeson.
Not ideal so close to championship.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 16/09/2020 10:21:38    2292419

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Huge losses. Back to the Bradshaw/O'Donnell pairing which will hardly get us exited."
Oh i think you are wrong . It probably will get us exited. But not excited.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 16/09/2020 11:45:12    2292445

Link

What would be your starting 15?

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 16/09/2020 13:15:29    2292467

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Oh i think you are wrong . It probably will get us exited. But not excited."
Nice

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 16/09/2020 14:40:20    2292489

Link

The senior and intermediate c'ships should have be finished at least a week earlier for consideration of the county teams preparations, a league title (first in nearly 40 years) there for the taking. Now we will be preparing for the conclusion of league with only half our starting team in the training panel

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 16/09/2020 16:03:41    2292522

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "The senior and intermediate c'ships should have be finished at least a week earlier for consideration of the county teams preparations, a league title (first in nearly 40 years) there for the taking. Now we will be preparing for the conclusion of league with only half our starting team in the training panel"
I agree they should have tried to get the finals played sooner. It is complicated in Galway though as we have been having football and hurling on alternate weekends, which isn't a concern for Mayo.
There is no league final this year - not sure if they are giving the trophy to whoever finished top after the round robin?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 16/09/2020 17:06:35    2292535

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I agree they should have tried to get the finals played sooner. It is complicated in Galway though as we have been having football and hurling on alternate weekends, which isn't a concern for Mayo.
There is no league final this year - not sure if they are giving the trophy to whoever finished top after the round robin?"
That's correct there's no league final this year and if Galway win their two remaining games they are champions, and you are also right with Galway being a dual county and the effect that has on the c'ships.......... but under the right circumstances both our teams can win silverware this year

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 16/09/2020 19:57:26    2292563

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "What would be your starting 15?"
Considering the fact I believe it will be a Moycullen and Corofin final. Here is my team for the Mayo game.

1. Connor Gleeson ( Still no.1, battle between himself and Power for championship)
2. Eoghan Kerins ( Not sure if he is fit or not)
3. Sean Mulkerrin (Still a better option than Sean Andy)
4. Johnny Heaney ( Up for debate, been poor for his club this year)
5. Cillian McDaid ( Not sure what fitness is like)
6. Gary O'Donnell
7. Eamonn Brannigan ( Can' think of another option off top of my head)
8. Paul Conroy ( Moving in and out of HF line)
9. Tom Flynn
10. Cein D'Arcy ( Very much up for debate)
11. Damien Comer ( Not sure if he has engine for 70mins for 11 in championship)
12. Michael Daly
13. Rob Finnerty
14. Shane Walsh
15. Adrian Varley

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 17/09/2020 13:54:38    2292690

Link

Replying To Galway4ever:  "The senior and intermediate c'ships should have be finished at least a week earlier for consideration of the county teams preparations, a league title (first in nearly 40 years) there for the taking. Now we will be preparing for the conclusion of league with only half our starting team in the training panel"
I totally disagree with this comment. Galway GAA would be nothing without its clubs and in fairness to the county board they gave due respect to the club competitions by not rushing them off. This may cause a short term pain, but there will be a long term gain.

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 17/09/2020 15:47:45    2292723

Link

Liam silke and Sean Kelly definitely be starting for Galway I think Paul conroy won't start midfield again only my opinion heard Gary Sice back in Galway panel not sure if it true can't see. Eoghan Kerrin starting at all

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 17/09/2020 16:50:31    2292739

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Liam silke and Sean Kelly definitely be starting for Galway I think Paul conroy won't start midfield again only my opinion heard Gary Sice back in Galway panel not sure if it true can't see. Eoghan Kerrin starting at all"
Very strange if Sice is back in? Will the finalists of the senior county final be missing from mayo game? Think that's the point he was making with that team. Don't see conroy in midfield either but he should definitely be starting somewhere going by current form, kerin wasn't starting pre covid but you never know how lads are training these days. if we beat maypo it puts us in a nice position

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 17/09/2020 17:22:50    2292748

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "No I think McDaid played in midfield against Mayo. Might have had 6 on his back. You mustn't have been there or watched the game...."
U could well be right about his position. I'm trying to erase that day from my memory.

Not sure why u feel the need to have a dig. For the record I was there not that it is relevant

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 17/09/2020 23:22:02    2292803

Link

I have a feeling Sean Kelly will be at full back.
He has been playing their for club and county this year. Thought he was good last week against James',
completely nullified Eoin Concannon.
Don't rule out Liam Costello either lads, great form this year and perfectly suited to county football, great work rate and pace.

I am worried about the form of our defenders in the club championship, thought Silke, Bradshaw, O'Donnell, Heaney were all only OK last few weeks.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 18/09/2020 08:31:04    2292821

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I have a feeling Sean Kelly will be at full back.
He has been playing their for club and county this year. Thought he was good last week against James',
completely nullified Eoin Concannon.
Don't rule out Liam Costello either lads, great form this year and perfectly suited to county football, great work rate and pace.

I am worried about the form of our defenders in the club championship, thought Silke, Bradshaw, O'Donnell, Heaney were all only OK last few weeks."
Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh had an excellent championship for Niamh Anna. Looked to be fitter than he has been in recent years. Granded I only seen 2 matchs but he stood out for me on a poor team.

gaalway (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 18/09/2020 11:32:45    2292856

Link

Replying To gaalway:  "Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh had an excellent championship for Niamh Anna. Looked to be fitter than he has been in recent years. Granded I only seen 2 matchs but he stood out for me on a poor team."
Good to hear. Still a big future for this guy. On McDaid is he definitely out? That was not the impression I had. Does anyone know if he played in Monivea's championship games. On John Daly initially I thought that was a short term injury and saw him in Tuam as a spectator at the Tyrone league game. Obviously something happened since that made his injury more long term.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1730 - 18/09/2020 13:06:09    2292895

Link