Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think he might give farragher another chance at corner forward he might leave conroy on bench agsin otherwise I agree totally with team u picked ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 10/03/2020 16:41:09    2273266

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Power
Kelly
Mulkerrin
Heaney
O'Donnell
Daly
McDaid
Steeds
Flynn
Brannigan
Comer
Daly
Conroy
Walsh
Varley"
Good team for sure
Think he will give farragher the nod ahead of Conroy

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 10/03/2020 19:21:26    2273288

Link

Why would Conroy be dropped and Daly retained? Makes no sense. Don't mind giving Farragher game time but have we not seen enough of Daly this league campaign?

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 10/03/2020 19:56:37    2273294

Link

Just think u could not play conroy in half forward line at all Thars why I think Daly be playing , i expect it 2 be a very tight game Kerry' beat both teams by a point Mayo beat Meath Galway beat them by 2 mayo drew with Donegal Galway won by a point Monaghan beat mayo well in fairness and Galway prob a bit fortunate to beat Monaghan by pint so it could go either way on Sunday :

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 10/03/2020 21:11:43    2273305

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Just think u could not play conroy in half forward line at all Thars why I think Daly be playing , i expect it 2 be a very tight game Kerry' beat both teams by a point Mayo beat Meath Galway beat them by 2 mayo drew with Donegal Galway won by a point Monaghan beat mayo well in fairness and Galway prob a bit fortunate to beat Monaghan by pint so it could go either way on Sunday :"
Strange comment considering Conroy has scored 1-06 where as Daly has scored 5 points with a lot less game time. Joyce's biggest mistake as manager was not introducing Conroy in the Kerry game, coincidentally the one game he hasn't played is the one game they haven't won.

Farragher deserves a chance, Daly has got 5 games and only 5 scores, also doesn't offer anything from play. We'll be interesting to see if PJ sticks with him this week.

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 10/03/2020 21:42:28    2273308

Link

Conroy's a game changer off the bench. Great option to have. Think we need to stick with Daly.

Are Burke or Molloy available?

I would play Power. Purely from a game time point of view. I'm a fan of Gleeson but think we need options in goal.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 10/03/2020 22:01:15    2273312

Link

Daly starting again, pressure on him to produce now as there seems to be better options off the bench.

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 116 - 10/03/2020 22:29:43    2273316

Link

Replying To cavan.galway:  "Strange comment considering Conroy has scored 1-06 where as Daly has scored 5 points with a lot less game time. Joyce's biggest mistake as manager was not introducing Conroy in the Kerry game, coincidentally the one game he hasn't played is the one game they haven't won.

Farragher deserves a chance, Daly has got 5 games and only 5 scores, also doesn't offer anything from play. We'll be interesting to see if PJ sticks with him this week."
Just reading your post and you say Daly doesn't offer anything from play ? Well how has he got 5 scores ?
I think a few need to realize that Daly and Conroy are different types of players !
Conroys being great when coming off the bench and that's what all the good teams need is someone to bring on that will impact the match !
Think Joyce is using Conroy perfectly , bringing him on when the game is much more open !
I thought Conroy was lucky against Monaghan to get his scores because it really saved his performance , he slowed up the play a lot and lost a good lot of ball !
M Daly gets awful criticism from people on here , think it's a bit harsh ! Maybe get behind him instead
Do ye not think that if he wasn't performing his role on the pitch that Joyce would of dropped him by now ?? Or do ye know more about football than Joyce ?

Happy with the team he's put out , think it's strong in every part of the pitch !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 10/03/2020 23:42:54    2273323

Link

That's as close to a championship starting 15 you will see.gleesons kickouts will be under pressure from the off mayo need that ball kicked to the middle for a o shea. It could be a great game with mayo fighting for survival, galway to win by a couple of points.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 163 - 11/03/2020 08:05:47    2273333

Link

Ian Burke and Kieran Molloy both played for Corofin at the weekend.
Moving ok.

If they don't get game time soon, I think PJ will have his mind made up.

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 11/03/2020 08:21:52    2273334

Link

On that half forward line Barringan is the one that offers the least, don't understand this talk of Daly, always good for a score.

The jury is still out for me on Barringan as an inter county player. Go to 15 secs on below link for Carrs goal last year, Barringan should have knocked him into the terraces but didn't. He gets back and sees danger but very slow to react to it and when he does his tackling is non existent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf1OtclSCM

As for Gleesons kick outs, all out field players are stagnant the majority of the time. Power would have the same problems if he was between the sticks.

Surprised on Molly given his increased physical conditioning this year hasn't been given a chance same too for Burke.

Howardhunt1 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 11/03/2020 10:33:02    2273349

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Just reading your post and you say Daly doesn't offer anything from play ? Well how has he got 5 scores ?
I think a few need to realize that Daly and Conroy are different types of players !
Conroys being great when coming off the bench and that's what all the good teams need is someone to bring on that will impact the match !
Think Joyce is using Conroy perfectly , bringing him on when the game is much more open !
I thought Conroy was lucky against Monaghan to get his scores because it really saved his performance , he slowed up the play a lot and lost a good lot of ball !
M Daly gets awful criticism from people on here , think it's a bit harsh ! Maybe get behind him instead
Do ye not think that if he wasn't performing his role on the pitch that Joyce would of dropped him by now ?? Or do ye know more about football than Joyce ?

Happy with the team he's put out , think it's strong in every part of the pitch !"
No one said they're the same type of player!? 
How has he got 5 scores? Well " Conroy was lucky against Monaghan to get his scores because it really saved his performance " Maybe some of that luck rubbed off on M Daly when he got these scores in games?
Not everything has to be criticism ,there's no need to be so sensitive, the fact is he hasnt been good enough so far in this years league or in his Galway career as of yet, also only got 1 point against Mayo in last years qualifier game. You don't need to have two all irelands in your back pocket to see that. PJ continues to play him and that's great but it's time for him to step up now or he should make way for the likes of Varley, Burke, O Laoi, Farragher to name but a few.
Here's hoping Daly gets man of the match this weekend, wins an all star & all Ireland this year as well!

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 11/03/2020 10:33:08    2273351

Link

A strong team in my eyes with the injured Silke the only big name not starting. Heaney and Finnerty have been doing only just enough and will both need big games if we are to get over Mayo. Many seem to feel Michael Daly has not been doing much and he has not scored a lot for the amount of game time he has got. However, His movement and that of Brannigan has created space required for the current game plan and he is a very important cog in the wheel. I hope they get a win which puts us in the final.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 11/03/2020 10:48:15    2273352

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Conroy's a game changer off the bench. Great option to have. Think we need to stick with Daly.

Are Burke or Molloy available?

I would play Power. Purely from a game time point of view. I'm a fan of Gleeson but think we need options in goal."
Yeah I'm surprised Power hasn't been given a game to try him out. Maybe that will come against the Dubs.
Hopefully Molloy and Burke will be back involved soon also.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 11/03/2020 11:11:04    2273356

Link

It makes sense to have panelist's who are not yet making the match day squad play for their clubs, I felt that under Kevin anyone on the extended panel where not able to play club games and it didn't help their cause, playing games regularly for club and / or county will only bring lads on, there is always a risk of injury but you could get injured at training. I think Joyce is growing a good positive attitude towards club games and the importance of regular matches

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 11/03/2020 11:42:46    2273358

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Just reading your post and you say Daly doesn't offer anything from play ? Well how has he got 5 scores ?

Happy with the team he's put out , think it's strong in every part of the pitch !"
Daly is getting criticism and to be fair he is not shooting the lights out. But he has huge potential and I think his work rate is really improving.

I think Joyce is trying out a few different players and giving them plenty of game time. I don't necessarily think he is playing what he considers his strongest 15 in any game.

Regarding Conroy, he is a game changing type player. Different to what we have in the forwards already. I think he offers us something either for the last 20 minutes or earlier if we are struggling. If he starts we do not have anyone of similar impact to come on. Very important to have strong finishers.

I thought he might play Power to give him game time. But can see why he is persisting with Gleeson. If he can resolve the kick out issue he is a seriously good keeper. When does the back pass rule come into affect? That will further limit (not eliminate) short kick outs.Teams will be able to full press more knowing that the keeper is not an option for the first receiver.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 11/03/2020 11:54:03    2273360

Link

Replying To Howardhunt1:  "On that half forward line Barringan is the one that offers the least, don't understand this talk of Daly, always good for a score.

The jury is still out for me on Barringan as an inter county player. Go to 15 secs on below link for Carrs goal last year, Barringan should have knocked him into the terraces but didn't. He gets back and sees danger but very slow to react to it and when he does his tackling is non existent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf1OtclSCM

As for Gleesons kick outs, all out field players are stagnant the majority of the time. Power would have the same problems if he was between the sticks.

Surprised on Molly given his increased physical conditioning this year hasn't been given a chance same too for Burke."
Since the penalty miss against Dublin Brannigan seemed to fall off a cliff. Injuries didn't help. 2019 was a shocker for him. Credit to the lad he's come back to where he was for nearly all of 2018 and before. Which was exceptional. His pace and work rate can never be underestimated. When Galway get turned over he's nearly the first to put the head down and start chasing back. His shooting boots that deserted him are now back and he's regularly scoring freely. On current form he's a certainty for me in the half forward line.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 512 - 11/03/2020 15:16:47    2273404

Link

I think the issue with Michael Daly is some people think he isn't reaching his full potential which is to be the best footballer in Ireland or at least one of them. His languid almost effortless style gives my observers the impression that he sometimes isn't trying or doesn't care

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 11/03/2020 15:22:20    2273406

Link

If this game goes ahead they need to stop people coming onto the field afterwards. We have a choice on whether to go to the game or not, the players dont have a choice when hundreds of us are running at them trying to get photos or shake their hands. And fairplay to them they always have great time for fans but safety first

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 11/03/2020 23:19:36    2273494

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "If this game goes ahead they need to stop people coming onto the field afterwards. We have a choice on whether to go to the game or not, the players dont have a choice when hundreds of us are running at them trying to get photos or shake their hands. And fairplay to them they always have great time for fans but safety first"
makes sense

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 12/03/2020 10:30:09    2273518

Link