Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hopballref:  "Lets be honest - we are half the team without Walsh and Comer.
Anyone know why Mulkerrins wasn't playing yesterday? Sean Andy not up to it.
We need to get injuries sorted fast and get our best 15 out there. Other counties aren't picking up injuries after the long layoff and all other teams had their best 15 out. Why hadn't we? Obviously our lads were doing damn all. Carrying a lot of timber some of them.

My changes would be the below

Gleeson / Lavelle
Campbell / Kelly
Sean Andy / Mulkerrins
Heaney / Heaney
Silke / Silke
Duane / O'Donnell
McDaid / McDaid
Maher / Flynn (if can get fit)
Darcy / Conroy
Brannigan / Brannigan
Comer / Comer
Leonard / Daly
Finnerty / Burke
Burke / Walsh
Conroy / Varley"
I'd agree with that, Definitely No 1, 2, 3 hadn't a clue of what they were at or supposed to be doing....headless chickens springs to mind!
Thought Sean Andy got destroyed by Kieran Donaghy a few years ago v Kerry in All Ireland Quarter Final....I don't think he likes marking those Big Target Men Full Fowards who are great under the High Ball.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 19/10/2020 12:10:56    2299119

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Anyone calling for Lavelle to come back needs their head examined he is not even on the panel.

Also I see some people blaming Conroy for doing punditry on TG4 on Saturday - please book head examination also. He was the one player that actually stood up and was very dangerous inside. A big loss for Galway was when he had to come out the field to try win some ball. If we can keep him inside he'll be a big threat.

I was very excited by Gleeson at the start of the year. Having watched Dunmore v Cortoon he really did not look convincing and started to worry after that. When Flynn came on it gave a more realistic option to Kick long. He won 2/3 marks and broke another ball. It was easy for Mayo to press the Galway offered little around the middle in the first half. If we have target men around the middle, it makes it more difficult to apply such a high press. When teams apply the high press go long to the big men. If they drop off to crowd the middle, it is much easier to go short.

Biggest changes need to be made are in midfield and wing forwards. Leonard is a good footballer but hasn't the pace to track fast attacking wing backs."
So you would have Gleeson, Campbell and Sean Andy in the starting 15 for championship? You are the one that needs your head examined.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 19/10/2020 12:18:12    2299122

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'd agree with that, Definitely No 1, 2, 3 hadn't a clue of what they were at or supposed to be doing....headless chickens springs to mind!
Thought Sean Andy got destroyed by Kieran Donaghy a few years ago v Kerry in All Ireland Quarter Final....I don't think he likes marking those Big Target Men Full Fowards who are great under the High Ball."
Sean Andy never played against Kieran Donaghy in a quarter final.

I dont know how anyone can pinpoint his performance when the team was set up like it was. He shouldn't be immune to criticism but lads saying he's finished or dreaming up incidents that actually didn't happen is way off the mark.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 12:18:29    2299123

Link

My own worst fears about this management team came to pass rather unexpectedly yesterday. It'll take more than a couple of players coming back into this side to overturn what was a 16 point half time deficit. A serious wake up call for everyone involved

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 12:21:25    2299124

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Ok....the day after. emotions are a bit more stable and time for critical analysis.

To my mind we looked slower and not as strong or athletic as Mayo. To compound maters we played poorly with the ball, didn't tackle and lacked hunger. The athletic side of it worries me. How can this be?

Some potential explanations

Are we in a heavy training block? Hopefully this is the reason coupled with a poor performance and a Mayo team that had to win

Did players not follow their programs over last 6 months? If this is the reason there is no quick fix. But the management would know this from the various tests they run

Are we just not strong or athletic? I don't believe so because we could compete previously in this regard"
Several of our top names were no better than OK in the club championship, with the exception of Paul Conroy, Rob Finnerty, Sean Kelly, GOD, Daly who were very good. OK/Fair were Shane Walsh (big scores v teams who ended up in relagation battles but poor V Killererin and Cortoon. L Silke was not as good as he has been over the past few years. Duane good early on but not when it really mattered. Burke has also been dissapointing. Apart from Moycullen and St James our club teams lacked energy in their games. The Mayo club games were played at a higher pace and intensity. Also the positions where we were forced to make changes is not doable even for the Dubs. Full Back Mulkerns, Centre Back Daly, Midfield Steed and Flynn, Centre Forward Walsh, FF Comer. Those who were good in the club games were good yesterday as was McDaid. Campbell did ok going in on debut one of the most prolfic scorers of all time. He will improve big time. I have to say i was much more disapointed with the captain and with Eamon Brannigan, they just could not get to the pace of the game. All that said I expect a much better effort and would not rule a win next Sunday.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 19/10/2020 12:23:13    2299126

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'd agree with that, Definitely No 1, 2, 3 hadn't a clue of what they were at or supposed to be doing....headless chickens springs to mind!
Thought Sean Andy got destroyed by Kieran Donaghy a few years ago v Kerry in All Ireland Quarter Final....I don't think he likes marking those Big Target Men Full Fowards who are great under the High Ball."
That was David Walsh from Killanin. Sean Andy was playing U21 that year. He never marked Donaghy.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 874 - 19/10/2020 12:26:28    2299131

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Sean Andy never played against Kieran Donaghy in a quarter final.

I dont know how anyone can pinpoint his performance when the team was set up like it was. He shouldn't be immune to criticism but lads saying he's finished or dreaming up incidents that actually didn't happen is way off the mark."
Ok I stand corrected, there was a time when there was a few Red Heads playing in the backs for Galway and they all looked the same from a Distance!

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 19/10/2020 12:31:58    2299133

Link

I thought Campbell did fairly well. Aside from the obvious issues at 1, 3 and midfield, our wing backs and wing forwards all had really awful games, and that left us under constant pressure.

renoir (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 19/10/2020 12:35:25    2299134

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Who was picking up Oisin Mullen. For the Durkin goal whoever it was didn't track him and if that was a Dublin player under Gavin they would have been taken off after.
John Daly a huge loss, GOD gets slated here but he needs to start and possibly even Bradshaw who I'm not a fan of. Conor Campbell has a huge reputation and ill forgive him yesterday because of his age but he was second to every ball and unbelievably played the full game.
Flynn made a difference and despite what people say needed in the team, pity about steede.
Brannigan, Leonard, Daly, not really anything to day, miles off. no impact in attack. didn't track their men, Daly needs to start doing it in Maroon, big reputation.
Varley made a difference and Conroy was our best player, Burke started well but not a man to track back, like Conroy.
Gleeson, all over the shop, I would have taken him off.

Apologies about the harshness of it but I was fuming with the lack of work rate and the lack of action on the sideline, very hard to fix what we saw yesterday in a few weeks."
JohnTerry, you are a tad harsh alright but your posts tend to be accurate. I would ask you to name your best 15 (assuming comer will be back for Sligo). My view on yesterday.
Gleeson (good shot stopper but shaky going outfield and not helped at all by backs and midfield for kick outs. Don't know what he was doing for last goal)
Conor Campbell. Good prospect but not yet senior standard.
Sean Andy. Very hard to defend one on ones with O Shea but is limited going out field. Kelly & mulkerrins will probably need to replace Campbell and SA
Heaney: like the idea of him in there but think we need an out and out marker and probably need heaney out the field
Halfback line helped by GOD coming on
Need Flynn and him fitter. Darcy wasn't too bad in second half but tried too hard to get through tackles and top teams will turn him over
Think Daly might be too slow in shooting and speed for tracking. Varley reminded us of March form and each ball stuck. Think we need Heaney here.
Ian Burke started well but we need comer or Conroy beside him. Conroy best forward but was moved out. Young Finnerty great at club this year but needs more time and is not target man. Can we try the M-M version? The only fella that tamed him was S Kelly and that says something. Game was well over after 30 minutes but we improved after half time and Killian had relaxed at that stage. Small comforts.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 19/10/2020 12:42:41    2299139

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "So you would have Gleeson, Campbell and Sean Andy in the starting 15 for championship? You are the one that needs your head examined."
Where did I even suggest I'd have them?

Kelly always going to replace Campbell and Mulkerrins for SOC - i figured that was a given. And I also flagged how poor Gleesons recent form has been - but the point I am making is it doesn't matter who you put in goal if you can't vary kickouts and are always going short you will get caught. Particularly against Mayo who so often pressed up well on Cluxton's kickouts.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 19/10/2020 12:46:12    2299140

Link

Sean andy wasnt even part of the squad when donaghy was playing for kerry

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 19/10/2020 12:47:17    2299143

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Sean Andy never played against Kieran Donaghy in a quarter final.

I dont know how anyone can pinpoint his performance when the team was set up like it was. He shouldn't be immune to criticism but lads saying he's finished or dreaming up incidents that actually didn't happen is way off the mark."
He had a very poor game but O Shea was firing on all cylinders and he needed help and he got absolutely none.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 19/10/2020 12:49:11    2299146

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Who was picking up Oisin Mullen. For the Durkin goal whoever it was didn't track him and if that was a Dublin player under Gavin they would have been taken off after.
John Daly a huge loss, GOD gets slated here but he needs to start and possibly even Bradshaw who I'm not a fan of. Conor Campbell has a huge reputation and ill forgive him yesterday because of his age but he was second to every ball and unbelievably played the full game.
Flynn made a difference and despite what people say needed in the team, pity about steede.
Brannigan, Leonard, Daly, not really anything to day, miles off. no impact in attack. didn't track their men, Daly needs to start doing it in Maroon, big reputation.
Varley made a difference and Conroy was our best player, Burke started well but not a man to track back, like Conroy.
Gleeson, all over the shop, I would have taken him off.

Apologies about the harshness of it but I was fuming with the lack of work rate and the lack of action on the sideline, very hard to fix what we saw yesterday in a few weeks."
JohnTerry, you are a tad harsh alright but your posts tend to be accurate. I would ask you to name your best 15 (assuming comer will be back for Sligo). My view on yesterday.
Gleeson (good shot stopper but shaky going outfield and not helped at all by backs and midfield for kick outs. Don't know what he was doing for last goal)
Sean Andy. Very hard to defend one on ones with O Shea but is limited going out field. Kelly & mulkerrins will probably need to replace Campbell and SA
Heaney: like the idea of him in there but think we need an out and out marker and probably need heaney out the field
Need Flynn and him fitter. Darcy wasn't too bad in second half but tried too hard to get through tackles and top teams will turn him over
Think Daly might be too slow in shooting and speed for tracking. Varley reminded us of March form and each ball stuck. Think we need Heaney here.
Ian Burke started well but we need comer or Conroy beside him. Conroy best forward but was moved out. Young Finnerty great at club this year but needs more time and is not target man. Can we try the M-M version? The only fella that tamed him was S Kelly and that says something. Game was well over after 30 minutes but we improved after half time and Killian had relaxed at that stage. Small comforts.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 19/10/2020 12:59:34    2299156

Link

Lads, to be fair to our full back the amount of ball that Mayo had out the field I think anyone in the country would struggle on AOS.

I think our (main) issues were further out.

Our forwards yesterday (ignoring Comer) Burke, Finnerty, Brannigan, Daly, Leonard applied next to no pressure on the man coming out. Finnerty did well on the ball. Conroy tried to tackle hard but the rest of the forwards never seemed to engage the defender physically. Lots of shadowing but Mayo seemed to escape very easily. Granted some of those mentioned are not the most physical but a lot of this is an attitude rather than a capability. Varley made a difference in this regard.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 19/10/2020 13:03:14    2299158

Link

I actually thought the Forwards scored some lovely points 0-17 isn't bad, but the goals were a killer and all 3 goals were avoidable and poor defensive errors.
If you don't have a good solid foundation 1,2,3,4 then your in trouble!
Have a look at the goal Daly no.3 got for Roscommon now that's a proper Full Back or McGee Donegal.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 19/10/2020 13:05:39    2299160

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "When is the last time Liam Silke played well for Galway?"
Charlie you are spot on as per usual.

Silke is insanely overrated.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 19/10/2020 13:06:42    2299163

Link

Replying To BleedingMaroon:  "JohnTerry, you are a tad harsh alright but your posts tend to be accurate. I would ask you to name your best 15 (assuming comer will be back for Sligo). My view on yesterday.
Ian Burke started well but we need comer or Conroy beside him. Conroy best forward but was moved out. Young Finnerty great at club this year but needs more time and is not target man. Can we try the M-M version? The only fella that tamed him was S Kelly and that says something. Game was well over after 30 minutes but we improved after half time and Killian had relaxed at that stage. Small comforts."
I'll give you my team after the Dublin game, hopefully we will get a reaction. My definites would be,

Sean Kelly
Tom Flynn
Shane Walsh
Damien Comer
Paul Conroy
Johnny Heaney

Worth looking at and I know some aren't on the panel. I would right off the Dublin game and have a look at some of the panel/on the fringes.

-James Keane
-Eoin Finnerty
-Liam Costello(he surely would have been up for it v Mayo)
-Liam Boyle
-Paul Varley(great year)
-Kieran Molloy
-Maitias Barrett

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 434 - 19/10/2020 13:07:12    2299164

Link

Disappointing to hear all the criticism of players & Management coming from Galway supporters. Back in jan/feb PJ & co and players could do no wrong, the same management and players are still there, a few regulars missing on Sunday but when Galway beat Tyrone by 18 points earlier in the year no one in Tyrone lost the plot, and blamed players and Mikey Hart.
Sometimes displays/results like this happen, and anyone involved in football knows it and probably experienced it.
Are or were Galway an 18 point better team than Tyrone ? NO. Are Mayo a 15 point better team than Galway ? again NO.
If they were to play again next week that match could go either way, it was just one of those things. Remember, for a team that nothing went right for they still scored 17 points.

1951andwaiting (Galway) - Posts: 48 - 19/10/2020 13:16:49    2299168

Link

Like someone pointed out conroy was going very well inside and then he's brought out to the 40 for the start of the 2nd half which was silly. Certainly need a big man inside as likes of comer and burke are too small. Daly/Brannigan could both be dropped for Dublin game.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 19/10/2020 13:36:05    2299174

Link

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "Disappointing to hear all the criticism of players & Management coming from Galway supporters. Back in jan/feb PJ & co and players could do no wrong, the same management and players are still there, a few regulars missing on Sunday but when Galway beat Tyrone by 18 points earlier in the year no one in Tyrone lost the plot, and blamed players and Mikey Hart.
Sometimes displays/results like this happen, and anyone involved in football knows it and probably experienced it.
Are or were Galway an 18 point better team than Tyrone ? NO. Are Mayo a 15 point better team than Galway ? again NO.
If they were to play again next week that match could go either way, it was just one of those things. Remember, for a team that nothing went right for they still scored 17 points."
How is it disappointing to hear criticism after a very poor display? It's completely normal. It'd be incredibly patronising not to be critical.
The management and players themselves will be even more critical of yesterday's performance.
Yesterday's result happened due to very poor effort, a lack of work-rate and intensity in the tackle which was miles off Mayo's.
These elements as someone else mentioned above, after often more in the mindset than the body. They're an absolute must for any team wanting to compete.
The forwards did look lively on the ball at times, but let's not forget that the majority of those 17 points were scored when the game was long over as a contest.
Results like yesterday aren't "just one of those things". They happen as a result of many things.
We need a massive improvement in effort the next day.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 874 - 19/10/2020 13:38:17    2299176

Link