Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Cant wait to see Lenord, his line of running and timing of runs is exceptional at club level, always thought he would make a good county player out of all the corofin players with the exception of ian and daithi burke.

Howardhunt1 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 14/10/2020 19:00:09    2297625

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Ohhhh someone called Townee sticking up for a lad from Michaels !

I am SHOCKED"
I have zero connection to Michaels or any other club in the city for that matter

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 14/10/2020 23:02:08    2297674

Link

If Leonard was good enough then he would have been given a crack before now.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 15/10/2020 09:21:30    2297696

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "I think PJ and Co have changed tack based on the once in a lifetime return to the old championship format. They will know that, 1, if they see off Sligo they are in a Connacht final. 2, The winner of that Connacht final is in an All Ireland semi final and just 2 games away from Glory. Remember last year Mayo had to play 8 times to get to an All Ireland Semi. This year they have to beat Leitrim, Roscommon and Galway (bar a huge upset) to be in a AI Semi. Based on this I reckon PJ will be rightly puting all his eggs in the championship basket. Remember the championship in Connacht is just over 2 weeks away, just over 3 weeks for Galway. With this in mind, and knowing Galway are safe in Div 1 he will do all in his power to have as close as possible to a full panel available for 07/11. 9 changes on Sunday from our last outing v Meath, surely those 9 will be very keen to do well. That said, if Mayo put out their best 15, they are the most battle hardend team in Ireland, and our newcomers can expect a baptism of fire."
I think u are spot on. 4 games to win an All Ireland. League position safe.

Very winnable but apart from the Sligo game the other 3 would also be very losable!

Go hard now to get up to championship pace......2 great league games left to test yourself? or try out lads, rest the main men until Connacht Final?? I'd be worried about resting lads. I think it is more important to get them up to Championship pace asap. No second chances this year.

Of course if someone is carrying an injury don't risk them but apart from that I'd be more inclined to go hard see where it takes us.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 15/10/2020 12:06:51    2297759

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "If Leonard was good enough then he would have been given a crack before now."
I never said he was or wasn't good enough, said he deserved his chance. I stand over that, he has played very well in Croke Park on a number of big days with his club in the past couple of years and delivered.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 434 - 15/10/2020 13:26:13    2297774

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "If Leonard was good enough then he would have been given a crack before now."
Will ye give the lad a chance to prove himself first. Fair play to him for making the team

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 15/10/2020 13:33:36    2297778

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I never said he was or wasn't good enough, said he deserved his chance. I stand over that, he has played very well in Croke Park on a number of big days with his club in the past couple of years and delivered."
Kieran McGrath played on a few of those Corofin teams.... Should they bring him in ?

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 15/10/2020 15:09:51    2297794

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I think u are spot on. 4 games to win an All Ireland. League position safe.

Very winnable but apart from the Sligo game the other 3 would also be very losable!

Go hard now to get up to championship pace......2 great league games left to test yourself? or try out lads, rest the main men until Connacht Final?? I'd be worried about resting lads. I think it is more important to get them up to Championship pace asap. No second chances this year.

Of course if someone is carrying an injury don't risk them but apart from that I'd be more inclined to go hard see where it takes us."
Agree but do absolutely everything in ur power to win league also. It would be a pity to get bet in championship with what we think is our strongest team and in doing so trying to mind those strong players and sacrifice league. Go out with strongest available team for every game. When I say strongest team of coarse you rest injured players but don't be of the frame of mind that we rest lads for championship. The more games every player gets the better they should become.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 15/10/2020 15:40:20    2297800

Link

I'd say the way it's looking and lots pressure coining on GAA the championship might not take place ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 15/10/2020 16:30:38    2297816

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Kieran McGrath played on a few of those Corofin teams.... Should they bring him in ?"
Well considering McGrath has already played for Galway and is 35, I think you know the answer there

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 15/10/2020 16:47:51    2297825

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I'd say the way it's looking and lots pressure coining on GAA the championship might not take place ,,"
Level 5 will see it scrapped. A lot of current & former players having their say over the last few days. Massive concerns which is only natural. If crowds stay at home it has a chance but any signs of crowds travelling will see it called off. Dublin for example have to travel to Galway. If the trains are busy and Air B&B sees an increase that will be a major issue.

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 16/10/2020 04:42:48    2297931

Link

I expect Galway to win this well on Sunday. Mayo trying out a lot of new players this year. Oisin mullin, Padraic O'hora, eoghan mcLoughlin, Jordan Flynn, Ryan O'Donoghue, Tommy Conroy, paul towey, mark moran and Darren mchale all only joined the panel this year. 4/5 of them lads will start on Sunday. James Carr, michael Plunkett, Matthew Ruane and Fionn Mcdonagh all joined last year and could all start.
Jason Doherty and James McCormack both our injured. Diarmuid OConnor and Brendan Harrison both injured and won't possibly play.
I think mayo are rebuilding but galway are contenders for all Ireland.

Mfs (Mayo) - Posts: 221 - 16/10/2020 11:12:05    2297981

Link

Replying To Mfs:  "I expect Galway to win this well on Sunday. Mayo trying out a lot of new players this year. Oisin mullin, Padraic O'hora, eoghan mcLoughlin, Jordan Flynn, Ryan O'Donoghue, Tommy Conroy, paul towey, mark moran and Darren mchale all only joined the panel this year. 4/5 of them lads will start on Sunday. James Carr, michael Plunkett, Matthew Ruane and Fionn Mcdonagh all joined last year and could all start.
Jason Doherty and James McCormack both our injured. Diarmuid OConnor and Brendan Harrison both injured and won't possibly play.
I think mayo are rebuilding but galway are contenders for all Ireland."
Steady on now, we don't start talking about being all Ireland's contenders prematurely like our neighbours

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 16/10/2020 12:49:14    2298020

Link

Replying To Mfs:  "I expect Galway to win this well on Sunday. Mayo trying out a lot of new players this year. Oisin mullin, Padraic O'hora, eoghan mcLoughlin, Jordan Flynn, Ryan O'Donoghue, Tommy Conroy, paul towey, mark moran and Darren mchale all only joined the panel this year. 4/5 of them lads will start on Sunday. James Carr, michael Plunkett, Matthew Ruane and Fionn Mcdonagh all joined last year and could all start.
I think mayo are rebuilding but galway are contenders for all Ireland."
Ummmm have you seen the Galway team that was named?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 16/10/2020 13:20:29    2298033

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Steady on now, we don't start talking about being all Ireland's contenders prematurely like our neighbours"
There's a lot of talent in the Galway panel right now, although that hasn't been the root of your problems going back over time... plenty of good footballers, just behind in terms of organisation, preps and tactics. All that seems to be coming right under PJ, so no reason Galway shouldn't start to believe.

It'll be interesting seeing the Mayo team... apart from some info on injuries no one outside the panel really knows what the approach is going to be. Depends on how much value is placed on Div 1 survival compared with the prospects of a real go at the championship (one last hurrah for some of the thirty-somethings?). Unless some of the younger players step up and start looking to take over the leadership of the team on the field, then we'll likely have a very short campaign in the championship.... that's if there's any championship at all.

Hopefully we'll still get the game on Sunday... the mood in the media seems to be moving in favour of the plug being pulled.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2192 - 16/10/2020 13:27:32    2298040

Link

U would have 2 think that mayo should probably beat Galway by 4-5 points Sunday Galway probably missing 6 players that will start championship if championship goes ahead which I doubt it will ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 16/10/2020 13:34:31    2298046

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "There's a lot of talent in the Galway panel right now, although that hasn't been the root of your problems going back over time... plenty of good footballers, just behind in terms of organisation, preps and tactics. All that seems to be coming right under PJ, so no reason Galway shouldn't start to believe.

It'll be interesting seeing the Mayo team... apart from some info on injuries no one outside the panel really knows what the approach is going to be. Depends on how much value is placed on Div 1 survival compared with the prospects of a real go at the championship (one last hurrah for some of the thirty-somethings?). Unless some of the younger players step up and start looking to take over the leadership of the team on the field, then we'll likely have a very short campaign in the championship.... that's if there's any championship at all.

Hopefully we'll still get the game on Sunday... the mood in the media seems to be moving in favour of the plug being pulled."
It certainly seems as if the mood is switching towards cancelling the season.
We will have no choice if level 5 comes to pass which seems more likely by the day.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 16/10/2020 13:53:58    2298057

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "There's a lot of talent in the Galway panel right now, although that hasn't been the root of your problems going back over time... plenty of good footballers, just behind in terms of organisation, preps and tactics. All that seems to be coming right under PJ, so no reason Galway shouldn't start to believe.

Hopefully we'll still get the game on Sunday... the mood in the media seems to be moving in favour of the plug being pulled."
If championship goes ahead (which I doubt) its Mayo's year. No crowd to drive players daft and end up been red carded. Ya the more I think of it Mayo for Sam.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 16/10/2020 15:17:17    2298097

Link

Agreed wouldn't begrudge them either

mickruane (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 16/10/2020 15:52:18    2298113

Link

Replying To Toman:  "If championship goes ahead (which I doubt) its Mayo's year. No crowd to drive players daft and end up been red carded. Ya the more I think of it Mayo for Sam."
Good one Toman!

Just listening to Newstalk and they're really ratcheting up the pressure to have the games stopped. The one thing about the media, they pick an agenda and don't care too much about the rights or wrongs, just about causing an effect. If holding the games is going to do more harm than good, fair enough, but let that be decided by sane scientific analysis, not by media driven hysteria and haters of all things GAA!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2192 - 16/10/2020 16:26:51    2298128

Link