Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "Fair dues to Declan Kyne, he was very good yesterday. He has received lots of criticism on this site. Mayo will put it right up to Dublin and best of luck to them. They had far more seasoned experienced operators on the pitch yesterday, and were due a win over us on the law of averages. Kevin should stay on for another year, the squad has been decimated with injuries all season. With a full hand to choose from, and the addition of Evan Murphy, the future is not as bleak as people think"
Lol, your wasting your time on here, try the comedy club, you will be a big success. PS, before you go there get to specsavers first.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1014 - 07/07/2019 09:57:45    2206808

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Such nonsense." KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down." You've a serious chip on your shoulder. These guys are winners and proven winners at that. They didn't step up is your argument. Those guys are a credit to Galway football. Take your head out of the sand. Ok power made a mistake but the guy has been under unnecessary pressure. There was no movement at all by the backs in relation to his kickouts. Corofin have it down to a tee. Some of our backs didn't give him any options. They are not on the same wavelength. That's to do with the system.

Silke is a class act. He was poor tonight . If we had won tonight would you drop him next week? I doubt it. Burke is a class act and anyone with any knowledge of the game would acknowledge that. Molloy is a brilliant footballer also. Was given 10 minutes. Kicked a brilliant point. Horan immediately reacted by springing Keegan from bench to contain him. That says it all. You obviously missed that.

As for farragher, it was his first Start against an AllStar full back line and you attempt to rubbish the guy. The problem really was alot of the players we had out there tonight were programmed to play a defensive game and suddenly were asked to go all out attack. The corofin lads were more than capable of doing that but the rest were not as they are on not on the same wavelenght. Show a little bit of respect for those lads.

We were beaten by the better team. You should accept that. Stop blaming players. It's deplorable. It's no disgrace losing to that mayo side. They'll beat Kerry next weekend and more than likely top the group with a victory over Donegal in the last game. They won't be far away this year and for me they are the only side with any realistic chance of taking down Dublin.

As for the city/west players, maybe it's time they started to win the odd county title and step up as you say yourself."
We ain't winning any all Ireland this year I'm afraid. You mention silke up agianst an all star full back line but many Gameaybfans I heard were saying it's an aging back line and there to be taken to the cleaners...no doubt also that Ian Burke (held scoreless) is a fine forward but you don't get the space and time in county football that you do in club football...it's a different world.

Anyway ye will likely benefit from a change in management.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10191 - 07/07/2019 10:25:19    2206827

Link

There has been a lot of nonsense in here.
Firstly can people lay off Corofin bashing, Galway played Mayo last night. The only thing I would say in it is there is a gulf between Club and County, guys like Trevor Burke and Alan O'Donovan in the past were serious club players but not the next standard, no shame in it.
I have always felt there is very little between Power and Lavelle and feel no different today. I would actually be looking for another keeper to be honest. Power needs to be fitter and the time he takes to retrieve a ball and set up is too long. Morgan and Cluxton are the best at this but they are fit and athletic.
Kerin, bad year, too much fouling, has not become bad suddenly.
SA O'C, played ok when he came on. Like Kerin tackling seems to have dis improved since Tally went.
Kyne, my motm, tacking and aggression pitch perfect, ran outta steam which is fair enough when out so long.
Silke, one of my favourites, guy needs a rest, too much football played between club, us, county and sigerson, will captain galway.
GOD; great heart and should be on the panel due to his approach and professionalism on and off the pitch.
J Daly, one of the bright spots, I said after the game in Inniskeen, just seems to look at ease at this level.
Sean Kelly, his engine was badly missed this year after last, needs to get 100% fit.
McDaid, this guy is a mystery to me, blowing hard after 15 minutes and getting GOD to track his own runner. Surely he should be fitter after OZ, Is he carrying injuries, if so, get him fit.
Cooke, really stood up yesterday, I would like to see him on the right footed frees.
Heaney, was poor this year but again an engine we need it the middle.
Walsh, well held by Durcan and no protection from officials, tried, missed free before half time was crucial. Percentages not high enough from frees as I have said all along.
M Daly, always hot and cold and may be better as a sub, seems to lack real pace at this level.
Brannigan, came into it well in second half and gave it everything, people calling him anonymous weren't sitting on my side.
Burke, poor no matter what way you dress it up, all year, I was ridiculed on hear for saying he was droppable, was not worthy of starting ahead of O'Laoi.
Farragher, very poor, the one that bounced over his head summed up his night. His antics coming off were in poor taste. Questionable whether he is at this level.

Kevin Walsh, panicked with change of style and keeper. We have not conceded goals against mayo for 4 years for a reason.
Stritch, tackling has disimproved as has defensive shape.
D Sheridan, goalkeeping coaching is questionable, kickout strategy and sharpness, fitness, rotation, all over the shop.

Others.
Kieran Molloy, nice cameo but no room when keegan came on , highlights the difference between club and county.
Comer, not match fit.
Flynn, not match fit.
Varley, garbage time.
O'Laoi, cant for the life of me see what he did to warrant being dropped, think he has scored in every game he has played and should be on penalties..

We also lacked leaders out there, Conroy big time and to a lesser extent Bradshaw(sub)

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 07/07/2019 10:26:49    2206829

Link

Sunday 24 March 2019
Tyrone 3-15
Galway 1-14
This is the day the damage was done. They have been on the slippery road since. 7 up at halftime and beaten by 7. It was a prequel to what we would see versus Roscommon also poor in London and dreadful in Sligo. You can blame the players if you want but the manager sets the team up. If you look back there is a huge number of players that have played and in that is the answer. Kevin Walsh doesn't know the best 20 never mind the starting 15.
If they closed out the game in Omagh. Galway would have been in the league final and Mayo finished 5th. He gave Horan a cause and motivation for his players. What he has done with regards to the goalkeeping sitiation is terrible he put them in untenable positions. This craic of naming players at 11pm on a Friday night and then dropping them via a PA system the next evening is a disgrace. For a man who was an outstanding midfielder Galway are shocking in this sector he couldn't even coach that bit. I've watched the match back and the analysis by SKY is first class. A case of missed opportunities even on a night of a poor performance they lost by three. It pains me to say it but Eamon O'Hara was probably right about him.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/07/2019 10:53:25    2206848

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Sunday 24 March 2019
Tyrone 3-15
Galway 1-14
This is the day the damage was done. They have been on the slippery road since. 7 up at halftime and beaten by 7. It was a prequel to what we would see versus Roscommon also poor in London and dreadful in Sligo. You can blame the players if you want but the manager sets the team up. If you look back there is a huge number of players that have played and in that is the answer. Kevin Walsh doesn't know the best 20 never mind the starting 15.
If they closed out the game in Omagh. Galway would have been in the league final and Mayo finished 5th. He gave Horan a cause and motivation for his players. What he has done with regards to the goalkeeping sitiation is terrible he put them in untenable positions. This craic of naming players at 11pm on a Friday night and then dropping them via a PA system the next evening is a disgrace. For a man who was an outstanding midfielder Galway are shocking in this sector he couldn't even coach that bit. I've watched the match back and the analysis by SKY is first class. A case of missed opportunities even on a night of a poor performance they lost by three. It pains me to say it but Eamon O'Hara was probably right about him."
I'll be honest I left Omagh that day perplexed and I still cant really figure out what changed at half time.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 07/07/2019 11:07:49    2206863

Link

Tyrone 3-15
Galway 1-14
If they closed out the game in Omagh. Galway would have been in the league final and Mayo finished 5th. He gave Horan a cause and motivation for his players. What he has done with regards to the goalkeeping sitiation is terrible he put them in untenable positions. This craic of naming players at 11pm on a Friday night and then dropping them via a PA system the next evening is a disgrace. For a man who was an outstanding midfielder Galway are shocking in this sector he couldn't even coach that bit. I've watched the match back and the analysis by SKY is first class. A case of missed opportunities even on a night of a poor performance they lost by three. It pains me to say it but Eamon O'Hara was probably right about him."
Galway shocking in midfield ? A midfielder scoring 4 pts from play v O Se ?? Duggan O Currain, Conroy, Flynn all injured.. seriously ?

tribesfan (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 07/07/2019 11:19:34    2206870

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "There has been a lot of nonsense in here.
Firstly can people lay off Corofin bashing, Galway played Mayo last night. The only thing I would say in it is there is a gulf between Club and County, guys like Trevor Burke and Alan O'Donovan in the past were serious club players but not the next standard, no shame in it.
I have always felt there is very little between Power and Lavelle and feel no different today. I would actually be looking for another keeper to be honest. Power needs to be fitter and the time he takes to retrieve a ball and set up is too long. Morgan and Cluxton are the best at this but they are fit and athletic.
SA O'C, played ok when he came on. Like Kerin tackling seems to have dis improved since Tally went.
Kyne, my motm, tacking and aggression pitch perfect, ran outta steam which is fair enough when out so long.
Silke, one of my favourites, guy needs a rest, too much football played between club, us, county and sigerson, will captain galway.
GOD; great heart and should be on the panel due to his approach and professionalism on and off the pitch.
J Daly, one of the bright spots, I said after the game in Inniskeen, just seems to look at ease at this level.
Sean Kelly, his engine was badly missed this year after last, needs to get 100% fit.
McDaid, this guy is a mystery to me, blowing hard after 15 minutes and getting GOD to track his own runner. Surely he should be fitter after OZ, Is he carrying injuries, if so, get him fit.
Cooke, really stood up yesterday, I would like to see him on the right footed frees.
Walsh, well held by Durcan and no protection from officials, tried, missed free before half time was crucial. Percentages not high enough from frees as I have said all along.
M Daly, always hot and cold and may be better as a sub, seems to lack real pace at this level.
Brannigan, came into it well in second half and gave it everything, people calling him anonymous weren't sitting on my side.
Burke, poor no matter what way you dress it up, all year, I was ridiculed on hear for saying he was droppable, was not worthy of starting ahead of O'Laoi.
Farragher, very poor, the one that bounced over his head summed up his night. His antics coming off were in poor taste. Questionable whether he is at this level.

Kevin Walsh, panicked with change of style and keeper. We have not conceded goals against mayo for 4 years for a reason.
D Sheridan, goalkeeping coaching is questionable, kickout strategy and sharpness, fitness, rotation, all over the shop.

Others.
Kieran Molloy, nice cameo but no room when keegan came on , highlights the difference between club and county.
Comer, not match fit.
Flynn, not match fit.
Varley, garbage time.
O'Laoi, cant for the life of me see what he did to warrant being dropped, think he has scored in every game he has played and should be on penalties..

We also lacked leaders out there, Conroy big time and to a lesser extent Bradshaw(sub)"
Hard to argue with much of that. The reason KW has been defensive is he knows the backs are not good enough to mind the house as was shown in the last 2 games, indeed it was shown against London also. However I think it was crazy not starting the best full back we have for a game like this. Those who are knocking SAC must propose an alternative. I have not seen a better option in any club game, same goes for Power. Silke is generally very solid but i agree that he is burned out between College Club and county. However he has now missed his last 2 penalties in big games, both were poor efforts. Fair play to Mayo and JH for having their homework well done they were the better team by quite a bit more than 3 points and were able to score and move the ball forward much easier than us. While it is fair to say the supply to our FF line is not great they have all been very poor and basically unable to score and are a bit overrated. Anyway its New York next for us, while I think Mayo will overcome Kerry on route to a semi.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 07/07/2019 11:39:08    2206881

Link

Others.
Comer, not match fit.
Flynn, not match fit.
Varley, garbage time.

We also lacked leaders out there, Conroy big time and to a lesser extent Bradshaw(sub)"
Best post I have seen here for a long time. Spot on and agree with nearly all of what you say. However the Corofin bashing has to stop (despite Ian Burke being poor all year even for Corofin) as it is very difficult to adapt to new styles of play and players with Galway e.g. for the likes of Farragher when you are so used to a completely different style of play with Corofin. I don't condone what Farragher did coming off the pitch however.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 07/07/2019 11:51:13    2206893

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Declan Kyne was horse power especially in the first 50 minutes
Turn over after turn over against the head when the game was slipping
No bullsh*t, no arseboxing. Just getting on with it
A leader
If he played the Connacht final we would be in the super 8's
His legs were gone for the last 15
John Daly excellent also
And Cooke"
Couldnt agree more.
Kyne was a man and a leader out there last night.
Hats off to him!!!

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 07/07/2019 12:20:23    2206912

Link

Seated on the North terrace - 10 yards from where Mayo were doing their warm ups, it was already evident the gulf in professional approach.

Mayo extracted full benefit from the period; initial contact assimilation, followed by mini possession/ tackling exercises.

Down at the city end, players were casually stroking the ball over/under the bar.

Andy Moran at this stage, realises that his game time will be minimal. Nevertheless, I noticed before the start, he took it upon himself to work with the more inexperienced players; Fionn McDonagh/Carr.

It was not by luck that Mayo tore out of the blocks and, left Galway looking around at each other for inspiration.

So, it is Leadership and maturity that win out the day. Contrast the confidence/professionalism of placed kicking Cillian O'Connor v Walsh. To me, it's like comparing Woods v McIllroy in Augusta.

These Galway players are no longer kids. Whether or not they can develop into quality IC players is not by any means guaranteed..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 370 - 07/07/2019 12:28:33    2206916

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Such nonsense." KW picked 4 of them tonight and they let him down." You've a serious chip on your shoulder. These guys are winners and proven winners at that. They didn't step up is your argument. Those guys are a credit to Galway football. Take your head out of the sand. Ok power made a mistake but the guy has been under unnecessary pressure. There was no movement at all by the backs in relation to his kickouts. Corofin have it down to a tee. Some of our backs didn't give him any options. They are not on the same wavelength. That's to do with the system.

Silke is a class act. He was poor tonight . If we had won tonight would you drop him next week? I doubt it. Burke is a class act and anyone with any knowledge of the game would acknowledge that. Molloy is a brilliant footballer also. Was given 10 minutes. Kicked a brilliant point. Horan immediately reacted by springing Keegan from bench to contain him. That says it all. You obviously missed that.

As for farragher, it was his first Start against an AllStar full back line and you attempt to rubbish the guy. The problem really was alot of the players we had out there tonight were programmed to play a defensive game and suddenly were asked to go all out attack. The corofin lads were more than capable of doing that but the rest were not as they are on not on the same wavelenght. Show a little bit of respect for those lads.

We were beaten by the better team. You should accept that. Stop blaming players. It's deplorable. It's no disgrace losing to that mayo side. They'll beat Kerry next weekend and more than likely top the group with a victory over Donegal in the last game. They won't be far away this year and for me they are the only side with any realistic chance of taking down Dublin.

As for the city/west players, maybe it's time they started to win the odd county title and step up as you say yourself."
They arent proven winners at county level. The loss rests with the entire team and not the corofin lads anyone suggested otherwise is wrong

But you suggested before that farragher for some reason was so good he sjouldnt be expected to perform at training like the mere mortals from other clubs , he should just be selected on the starting 15 and he'd deliver. Well he didn't deliver and apparently is so unaware of how poorly he was playing he felt he should argue with the manager

And I'm sure you'll reply with how great corofin are. They are I agree, they are class and a joy to watch but that doesnt mean the players can make the step up. Galway have played corofin in challenge games over the past few years. Galway have always won

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/07/2019 12:46:06    2206933

Link

Others.
Comer, not match fit.
Flynn, not match fit.
Varley, garbage time.

I agree with a lot of what you say and I'm going to say something people may not like but i think tally is sorely missed. We set up defensively but the players really owned it and bought into it. We didn't like it but the team seemed to be happy with it. Now we set up defensively and the players seem to get confused and dont know who is marking what space and if opposition runs at them they are cut open

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/07/2019 12:54:54    2206939

Link

Tyrone 3-15
Galway 1-14
I get people are annoyed at the changes to the starting 15 so late in the day, I don't see the point. But the team knows the actual starting 15 from a few days prior to match day and I think if a usual starter is not going to make the 15 he gets the heads up before its announced to the rest of the team. They don't get dropped via the PA system, the only reason someone would get dropped on the day is due to injury

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/07/2019 13:00:12    2206944

Link

We really missed a fit comer this year, would lads like comer be advised by the managment not to be playing charity games or does it happen regularly that they play charity games. not giving out bout the lad just wondering what the protocol is with these sitiuations. Hope to see him fit again soon.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 07/07/2019 13:44:48    2206976

Link

Thinking the players find out about the team at the same time as Joe Public do via PA system has to take the cake for posts on this board

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 07/07/2019 13:59:32    2206984

Link

Fresh start needed in that Galway camp !
It was hugely evident that the players were playing in a system that was not enjoyable to play in and were not allowed to express themselves !
Football is meant to be enjoyable to play even for county players and I think that's something that's missing - no enjoyment in the way they're set up to play !
Yesterday was just terrible to watch !
Whatever about a defensive system that didn't work , where was the attacking system to actually score,
Did Kevin Walsh have one of these ?
We stood acres off our man each time horrid to watch and when we got the ball we didn't know what to do with it going forward !
John Daly seemed the only person capable of driving forward with the ball from the backline !
Anyone that says Mcdaid had a good game must of been watching a different game , went on silly runs and got turned over and looked unfit and out of steam early in the game !
Shane Walsh went missing again??
Anyone can see that We have forwards with huge potential , if we actually used them in a system that allowed them to attack ! Look at the Armagh forwards how they link up !
Only bright sparks from yesterday were John Daly and cooke
We have a young enough team Saoc, Mcdaid , 2 Daly's , Walsh , O Laoi , Molloy , cooke etc who all have a big part to play in the future of Galway football
With the right manager and style I have no doubt Galway can play with good brand of football that wins matches !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 07/07/2019 14:10:42    2206986

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Thinking the players find out about the team at the same time as Joe Public do via PA system has to take the cake for posts on this board"
Ha Ha.
"Could the owner of 12 G 3914 please move his vehicle as its causing an obstruction. Could Bernard Power please ensure he has his baseball cap as he's starting"

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 07/07/2019 14:11:19    2206987

Link

Replying To jj19:  "We really missed a fit comer this year, would lads like comer be advised by the managment not to be playing charity games or does it happen regularly that they play charity games. not giving out bout the lad just wondering what the protocol is with these sitiuations. Hope to see him fit again soon."
He played a game on st Stephen's day. If he felt like bunjee jumping on that day then off with him. It was Christmas.and he was having a well deserved break. Accidents happen

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/07/2019 14:31:43    2206998

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I get people are annoyed at the changes to the starting 15 so late in the day, I don't see the point. But the team knows the actual starting 15 from a few days prior to match day and I think if a usual starter is not going to make the 15 he gets the heads up before its announced to the rest of the team. They don't get dropped via the PA system, the only reason someone would get dropped on the day is due to injury"
Bit of craic on Stephen's Day with his buddies, I say it was just a freak injury.

I don't think the public were given the full extent of the injury either to be fair.

He'll be raring to go next year

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 261 - 07/07/2019 14:33:47    2207000

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Fresh start needed in that Galway camp !
It was hugely evident that the players were playing in a system that was not enjoyable to play in and were not allowed to express themselves !
Football is meant to be enjoyable to play even for county players and I think that's something that's missing - no enjoyment in the way they're set up to play !
Yesterday was just terrible to watch !
Whatever about a defensive system that didn't work , where was the attacking system to actually score,
Did Kevin Walsh have one of these ?
We stood acres off our man each time horrid to watch and when we got the ball we didn't know what to do with it going forward !
John Daly seemed the only person capable of driving forward with the ball from the backline !
Anyone that says Mcdaid had a good game must of been watching a different game , went on silly runs and got turned over and looked unfit and out of steam early in the game !
Shane Walsh went missing again??
Anyone can see that We have forwards with huge potential , if we actually used them in a system that allowed them to attack ! Look at the Armagh forwards how they link up !
Only bright sparks from yesterday were John Daly and cooke
We have a young enough team Saoc, Mcdaid , 2 Daly's , Walsh , O Laoi , Molloy , cooke etc who all have a big part to play in the future of Galway football
With the right manager and style I have no doubt Galway can play with good brand of football that wins matches !"
Galway forwards got the opportunity to attack plenty of times and they failed repeatedly. It was a midfielder who stepped up to the plate in the first half. Let's not pretend the forwards got zero chance at attacking

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/07/2019 14:34:10    2207001

Link