Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To johnjoe21:  "Galway have a very small number of true fans and a much larger number of casual observers masquerading as fans - there'a a big difference between the two. And on the subject of GBFM coverage, Turner is well past his sell by date as a commentator. His constant negativity is nauseating to say the least. Why not give the gig to someone like Tommy Devane who makes for a pleasant change from the norm on the few occasions he is given the opportunity."
What I find hilarious is that Galway Bay FM also think its a good idea to put Ollie Turner on the airwaves every morning of the week. So it's not just Galway football fans who suffer!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 288 - 09/05/2019 09:49:28    2182656

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "We were the only Div 1 team to lie down against Dublin.
The Tyrone second half was shocking given what was on the line, (a national title with Dublin out of the picture v an over rated young Kerry team) "
Ah sure its only the league"
Look at the momentum Mayo have gained from bullying Kerry in the league final from an opportunity we gifted them!!!
Yes we had injuries and yes we found some new talent which is great but can anyone honestly say they have any idea which Galway will show up against Mayo this year (assuming we get to the C Final)
They will arrive in Pearse Stadium with a new self belief to meet an obviously confused Galway team.
The pundits are as confused as we are about this Galway team.
They all say we have the talent and great forwards but they have no idea what our style of play is. Neither do I.
Tyrone changed their style of play in less than 1 year. Why cant we?
A team without weapons and talent has to play defensive football to survive.
That's not Galway any more. We need to dismantle defensive teams and systems not outlast them!!!
Cut loose and have a go. Dublin will probably be a step too far ahead again this year.
Kerry are smart and already aiming to be ready for next year.
They'll have a go at everyone, gain knowledge and experience as they go."
Considering we have beaten Mayo 3 years running in championship and two years running in league i have a fair idea of what Galway will "show up" if we play them. Probably one that will narrowly beat them like they have for the last 5 games.

Blowing Mayo up to be far better than they are based on a game v New York and a league final they somehow almost lost despite battering a poor kerry team, this is England's soccer team before a major tournament stuff.

As for why KW plays the way we play i would think its fairly obvious that in his estimation we don't have the defenders to go man to man. The games against Tipperary in croker and Roscommon in Pearse probably made up his mind on that.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 315 - 09/05/2019 10:40:22    2182673

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "We beat Sligo by about 20 last year would you ever get a grip?"
The the team that just about got over London had 9 different starters from the team that scored 4-24 V Sligo last year.

Galway V Sligo 2018
Ruairí Lavelle;
Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, David Wynne;
Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Seán Kelly (1-02);
Thomas Flynn, Peter Cooke (0-02);
Johnny Heaney (0-02), Shane Walsh (0-05, 0-01 free), Eamonn Brannigan (0-03);
Damien Comer (2-02), Ian Burke (1-02), Barry McHugh (0-03, 0-02 frees).
Galway V London 2019
Ruairí Lavelle;
Eoghan Kerin, Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh, David Wynne;
Gary O'Donnell, John Daly, Liam Silke;
Tom Flynn, Michael Daly;
Antaine Ó Laoi, Padraic Cunningham, Johnny Heaney;
Ian Burke, Shane Walsh, Danny Cummins.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1029 - 09/05/2019 12:27:04    2182705

Link

I'm posting 2 teams, one for Connacht and one for the Dubs if we get a go at them

Team for Connacht
1. Power
2. Kyne
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. Silke
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy or Flynn
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

If McDaid is available he'd be first sub, Cooke, Varley, Cummins, Bradshaw & O'Laoi

Team for the Dubs

1. Power
2. Silke
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. McDaid
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

Subs G. Bradshaw, Tom Flynn, Adrian Varley, P. Cooke, O'Laoi, D. Cummins. If like last year Sean Andy is being run ragged, Silke to no. 3 & S. Kelly to corner back

All dreamy stuff with all the injuries we have, but sin é. As per history, the lack of the art of defending is our Achilles heel.

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 09/05/2019 13:42:31    2182733

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "I'm posting 2 teams, one for Connacht and one for the Dubs if we get a go at them

Team for Connacht
1. Power
2. Kyne
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. Silke
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy or Flynn
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

If McDaid is available he'd be first sub, Cooke, Varley, Cummins, Bradshaw & O'Laoi

Team for the Dubs

1. Power
2. Silke
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. McDaid
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

Subs G. Bradshaw, Tom Flynn, Adrian Varley, P. Cooke, O'Laoi, D. Cummins. If like last year Sean Andy is being run ragged, Silke to no. 3 & S. Kelly to corner back

All dreamy stuff with all the injuries we have, but sin é. As per history, the lack of the art of defending is our Achilles heel."
Has Barry McHugh not left the panel?

Galwaygaa.ie (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 09/05/2019 14:44:56    2182754

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "I'm posting 2 teams, one for Connacht and one for the Dubs if we get a go at them

Team for Connacht
1. Power
2. Kyne
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. Silke
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy or Flynn
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

Team for the Dubs

1. Power
2. Silke
3. Sean Andy
4. Kerrin
5. McDaid
6. J. Daly
7. Heaney
8. Duggan
9. Conroy
10. Sean Kelly
11. M. Daly
12. Shane Walsh
13. ian Burke
14. Comer
15. B McHugh

All dreamy stuff with all the injuries we have, but sin é. As per history, the lack of the art of defending is our Achilles heel."
Ur dropping Tom Flynn who was Galway's best performer against London?. Conroy will not get back in the team this year will not have built up enough game time 2 warrant a start.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 09/05/2019 14:49:50    2182755

Link

Does anyone know if McDaid is back in full training yet?

And is Comer running yet?

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 09/05/2019 16:25:45    2182776

Link

Conroy has no hope of making it Flynn one of Galway best players last 12 months a sub the mind boggles mchugh not on the panel so he hardly make it I think some posters on here don't actully go 2 matches crazy stuff Michael Daly not good enough John Daly ?? Again only my opinion but Michael Daly not doing it at all way off the mark he might kick one point a game only might . Brannigan will start kelly if fit will be playing

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 09/05/2019 16:54:36    2182783

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Considering we have beaten Mayo 3 years running in championship and two years running in league i have a fair idea of what Galway will "show up" if we play them. Probably one that will narrowly beat them like they have for the last 5 games.

Blowing Mayo up to be far better than they are based on a game v New York and a league final they somehow almost lost despite battering a poor kerry team, this is England's soccer team before a major tournament stuff.

As for why KW plays the way we play i would think its fairly obvious that in his estimation we don't have the defenders to go man to man. The games against Tipperary in croker and Roscommon in Pearse probably made up his mind on that."
Most Galway supporters have no issue at all with how we defend. I think it has been a huge success over the last 2 years.
My issue is how we attack and how we transition from defense to attack.
I fully understand why Kevin defends the way we do but we have no plan going forward.
The game we play works if we're in the lead. Whats the plan if we're 3/4 points down??
We have the weapons to dismantle any team on a fast break and if we did other teams would have to respect our ability to do so thus limiting the number of players they could commit to attack.
Our stable of forwards is the envy of most teams in the country.
Our game, system and style of play should reflect that.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 10/05/2019 08:22:15    2182865

Link

This forum and Galway supporters are baffling at times. Going to London is a no win situation for any team.

Lavelle isn't going to be changed 3 years in and after all the training that the team be's doing etc. The management team obviously feel he is our best choice in goal. His record is actually very good. Every keeper makes mistakes and I think there's only people talking about his position after the goals in Tyrone which I would argue weren't his fault. His kickouts are on the same level as Bernies and he is a far better footpasser and probably a better shot stopper and that is why he is getting the nod. it's not some bizarre vendetta against Corofin as some would have you believe.

Anyway it's laughable to be talking about our keeper when we consider the talent we possess outfield. Arguably only Dublin are ahead of us when it comes to talent and squad depth so it's unlikely that a goalkeeper will stops us from collecting silverware going forward.

I think the form of our players in the full back line has dropped off considerably. Therefore, I think we need to keep Silke at corner back. John Daly's form allows us this opportunity.
Look, its still only May. And this won't go down well with some but whether we win Connacht or not is immaterial this year. We need to be reaching the All Ireland Semi atleast again. Then we can judge our management and team when we have everyone fit.

Our transition does need to speed up. This is where I feel Bradshaw/O'Donnell are an issue for us when they start. The might be good impact subs but they struggle mobility wise in my view.
McDaid could be the game changer for us. Covers ground and can kick a score and will make space for others. I think Michael Daly will be more effective on the half forward line but we do need to find a partner for Flynn that can cover ground. Probably to late now but I would have liked to have seen Heaney here.

The team I would select when everyone is fit is.

Lavelle
Kerrins Sean-Andy Silke
Heaney Daly Molloy
Flynn
Duggan
McDaid Daly Brannigan/Cooke/Kelly
Burke Comer Walsh

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 159 - 10/05/2019 10:05:23    2182887

Link

Has anyone considered starting Walsh at midfield??
He's the best ball carrier in the country and causes mayhem when he runs from deep at a defense.
He receives the ball in the corner or on the sideline most of the time. His speed, i feel is wasted it these situations.
I'd love to see him on fast breaks down the throat with inside the forwards flying in all directions. Force the defenders to make a decision then we have the forwards to punish mistakes.
Defensive nightmare for any team.
Just a thought.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 10/05/2019 10:50:57    2182897

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "This forum and Galway supporters are baffling at times. Going to London is a no win situation for any team.

Lavelle isn't going to be changed 3 years in and after all the training that the team be's doing etc. The management team obviously feel he is our best choice in goal. His record is actually very good. Every keeper makes mistakes and I think there's only people talking about his position after the goals in Tyrone which I would argue weren't his fault. His kickouts are on the same level as Bernies and he is a far better footpasser and probably a better shot stopper and that is why he is getting the nod. it's not some bizarre vendetta against Corofin as some would have you believe.

Anyway it's laughable to be talking about our keeper when we consider the talent we possess outfield. Arguably only Dublin are ahead of us when it comes to talent and squad depth so it's unlikely that a goalkeeper will stops us from collecting silverware going forward.

I think the form of our players in the full back line has dropped off considerably. Therefore, I think we need to keep Silke at corner back. John Daly's form allows us this opportunity.
Look, its still only May. And this won't go down well with some but whether we win Connacht or not is immaterial this year. We need to be reaching the All Ireland Semi atleast again. Then we can judge our management and team when we have everyone fit.

Our transition does need to speed up. This is where I feel Bradshaw/O'Donnell are an issue for us when they start. The might be good impact subs but they struggle mobility wise in my view.
McDaid could be the game changer for us. Covers ground and can kick a score and will make space for others. I think Michael Daly will be more effective on the half forward line but we do need to find a partner for Flynn that can cover ground. Probably to late now but I would have liked to have seen Heaney here.

The team I would select when everyone is fit is.

Lavelle
Kerrins Sean-Andy Silke
Heaney Daly Molloy
Flynn
Duggan
McDaid Daly Brannigan/Cooke/Kelly
Burke Comer Walsh"
Bradshaw will come back in at six. Gavaghan absolutely bullied John Daly on every attack and kickout last weekend. Taylor, Horan and Cunningham will have seen it. The biggest mobile player each of them have will be assigned that duty from now on. John Daly is a little bit light in conditioning currently, a superb footballer but Aidan O Shea, Michael Murphy, Diarmuid Connolly will be tasked with pushing his limits for another year or two at six.
Power
Silke
Sean Andy
Kerin
Molloy
Bradshaw
Daly/ Heaney
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Michael Daly
Walsh
McDaid/Heaney
Martin Farragher
Comer
Burke

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 10/05/2019 10:55:56    2182900

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "Has anyone considered starting Walsh at midfield??
He's the best ball carrier in the country and causes mayhem when he runs from deep at a defense.
He receives the ball in the corner or on the sideline most of the time. His speed, i feel is wasted it these situations.
I'd love to see him on fast breaks down the throat with inside the forwards flying in all directions. Force the defenders to make a decision then we have the forwards to punish mistakes.
Just a thought."
No, that is the problem soloing running kills quick transition. High quality kick passing is the key. You want Walsh coming onto quick ball.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 10/05/2019 11:00:11    2182902

Link

See a lot about Bradshaw and O'Donnell on here but it's up to young lads to make sure they force there way onto team. Heaney was very poor against London, both Daly's especially Michael needs to step it up big time how many chances can he get? I'd pick Brannigan over Daly if he was fully fit. Hope Molloy gets some game time against Sligo.
Any update on injured players? Any back for Sligo game?

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 101 - 10/05/2019 11:40:20    2182914

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "Has anyone considered starting Walsh at midfield??
Just a thought."
He played midfield against London.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 507 - 10/05/2019 12:32:10    2182921

Link

I said it 2 years ago Walsh should be midfield and I still think he should be his pace skill passing no one would contain him there and a lot harder for opponents to man mark him put silke corner back he one best in country in That position put club footballer of year molloy wing back and at least give us a chance of playing good football 2 be honest I think Kevin Walsh is gone stubborn in regards molloy only one looser i think ( Galway football ))

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 10/05/2019 17:26:28    2182981

Link

Lavelle
Kyne
SA
Silke
Molloy
Bradshaw
Heaney
Duggan
Flynn
Brannigan
Walshe
Kelly
Burke
Comer
Danny

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 217 - 10/05/2019 22:22:46    2183025

Link

1. Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.Heaney
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Walsh
11.Daly
12.Leonard
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.O'Laoi/Farragher

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 10/05/2019 22:57:01    2183030

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Wrong on your many assumptions here Corofin boy."
I'm not corofin but I appreciate the brilliance of a side that has won 3 all ireland club titles in 5 years with an aggregate winning margin of 37 points. That doesnt seem to be the case with you. On the one hand you say that Power is an excellent keeper but on the other hand you dumb down his achievements by saying that their success had nothing to do with him. Anyone who watched his displays this year for his club would argue strongly against that particular assertion of yours.

You favour Lavelle over Power. Thats your opinion and thats fair enough. I disagree. I just think he's the better keeper between the sticks and his kickouts are better. Thats all. It's only my opinion so you need to understand that.

The forum is only about opinions. Lavelle like all the players are a credit to Galway football for their commitment to the cause. He was brilliant in last year's league final and in other games also. That doesn't mean he owns the jersey. My point is that I think some of these corofin lads should get a chance and game time. Imo if we are to win an ireland, I think we'll need at least 5 of them on the pitch to do so. That might upset you but its about galway not about what particular side of the county you play your football.

You seem to have a certain hang up about north galway which is clear from your posts. You think I'm from corofin and I'm not. I can only assume that the reason you think that is because I have repeatedly sung their praises on this forum. So what if I have. Most genuine GAA followers in the country admire their brilliance also.

I'm not from corofin and I couldn't give a damn where you are from or what club you support. Get behind all the lads and give all of them a fair chance. If we don't, we won't succeed.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 11/05/2019 01:07:55    2183045

Link

The likes of McDaid, Molloy, Wall, Leonard and Farragher should be on the team IMO and if Kevin Walsh refuses to pick them when all are fit and willing to play, then he shouldn't be manager as many of the current team are not good enough to win an AI or even reach an AI Final.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 11/05/2019 14:51:39    2183100

Link