Duggan
Flynn
Kelly
Shane
Daly
Burke
Conroy
Comer"
Great, back to the Conroy at 14 experiment, first pioneered by the erudite Alan Mullholland.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 08/01/2019 09:12:33    2156044

Link

If Frankie Burke is worth a look, I'd be keen on drafting Derek Savage back in. Or possibly Frank Stockwell.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 493 - 08/01/2019 10:11:12    2156051

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "If Frankie Burke is worth a look, I'd be keen on drafting Derek Savage back in. Or possibly Frank Stockwell."
Frank stockwell is dead Charlie..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 08/01/2019 10:36:03    2156057

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Great, back to the Conroy at 14 experiment, first pioneered by the erudite Alan Mullholland."
Conroy at 14 is hardly an experiment. He has ample experience of playing there both at club and county often with plenty of joy. He made his debut at corner forward for a season and has played wing and more regularly centre forward. He wouldn't be in there much of the time in any event as he could withdraw to anchor midfield to leave Comer and Burke in there. Sean Cavanagh made a similar move late in his career.

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 08/01/2019 11:12:58    2156065

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Conroy at 14 is hardly an experiment. He has ample experience of playing there both at club and county often with plenty of joy. He made his debut at corner forward for a season and has played wing and more regularly centre forward. He wouldn't be in there much of the time in any event as he could withdraw to anchor midfield to leave Comer and Burke in there. Sean Cavanagh made a similar move late in his career."
You are correct Trucker, At this stage it would be classified as a failed experiment as opposed to just an experiment. I would have thought we would have learned our lesson with the shoe horning in of Tom Flynn at 10 for a long period of his career.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 08/01/2019 11:26:22    2156066

Link

Nice to see some rational thinking being used in this thread for once. I view all of our midfielders relatively at the same standard and that is not meant to be complimentary. The exception being FOC who was past his peak at 22. Can understand their logic for deploying 3 "natural" midfielders as it is a weak area, more bodies means more chance of winning a break out there. In fairness to Duggan, he did quite well for a lad making his inter county debut at 28 so hopefully he can build on that this year The lack of a natural centre back is worrying though - granted Bradshaw had 1 of his better years for Galway last year, there is no real heir to the throne out there. I did chuckle when i saw Kyne named centre back in some fantasists starting 15. I view a successful year for Galway as maintaining Div1 status, retaining the Nestor cup and reaching a semi Final again. Lot of the deadwood needs the chop though, GOD, FOC, Frankie Burke etc.

Feel free to disagree.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 08/01/2019 12:03:07    2156074

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Nice to see some rational thinking being used in this thread for once. I view all of our midfielders relatively at the same standard and that is not meant to be complimentary. The exception being FOC who was past his peak at 22. Can understand their logic for deploying 3 "natural" midfielders as it is a weak area, more bodies means more chance of winning a break out there. In fairness to Duggan, he did quite well for a lad making his inter county debut at 28 so hopefully he can build on that this year The lack of a natural centre back is worrying though - granted Bradshaw had 1 of his better years for Galway last year, there is no real heir to the throne out there. I did chuckle when i saw Kyne named centre back in some fantasists starting 15. I view a successful year for Galway as maintaining Div1 status, retaining the Nestor cup and reaching a semi Final again. Lot of the deadwood needs the chop though, GOD, FOC, Frankie Burke etc.

Feel free to disagree."
Galways expectation have to be to get to an All Ireland final considering they could have done so last year if they'd avoided the Dubs in the semi.

Winning Connacht would mean meeting the Dubs in the group stages and avoiding them in the semi's.

Looking at what else is out there is nothing for Galway to fear, the aim has to be to make the final and don't see any reason why they can't.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 08/01/2019 13:23:08    2156089

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Championship Team 2019
Lavelle
Silke
Sean Andy
Kerin
Molloy
Kyne
Mc Daid
Duggan
Flynn
Kelly
Shane
Daly
Burke
Conroy
Comer"
Good selection.
Not sure about Kyne centre back. Not saying he shouldn't be given a chance there but just find it hard to see him being good enough.
It is the one position we are struggling to find someone as I think Bradshaw will be found out on hard ground. Heaney could possible be the answer.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 203 - 08/01/2019 14:11:09    2156106

Link

Not too many here going to club games based on the teams being picked. Sure I suppose ye might be at as many as the management.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 493 - 08/01/2019 16:46:19    2156134

Link

Not sure why Duane is being overlooked for centre back. All round good footballer who anchors a defence very well. His pace might go against him but makes up for it with intensity. He hasn't been given a fair shake since coming back from New York. I can comfortably say he's better than Bradshaw anyway. Silke another option there.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 200 - 08/01/2019 18:34:46    2156160

Link

Ruairi Lavelle

Liam Silke
Sean-Andy
Eoghan Kerrins

Cillian McDaid
Johnny Heaney
Kieran Molloy

Peter Cooke
Tom Flynn

Sean Kelly
Michael Daly
Eamon Brannigan

Shane Walsh
Damien Comer
Ian Burke

Here's what I would go with come the championship. I know my half back line in particular will raise eye brows but we were lacking pace and mobility in this area so much in the last few years. Sean Kelly and Brannigan in Kevin's System also drop deep and can offer extra cover and an outlet for transitioning to attack. I think with the rate he has improved in the last few years and with his ball playing abilities Heaney could be an option at 6 even though people will scoff at that. It's our biggest issue in my eyes!

With this line up we would have a serious impact off the bench that would cover all lines in my eyes. Conroy, Duggan, O'Currain and Darcy in Midfield alone. Our Full back line and Full Forward line are as good as any in the country and Lavelle has established himself as one of the top 5 or 6 keepers aswell.

So much to be positive about. I do think we should use this weekends FBD game to blood upto 5 new players in a tuff encounter versus Mayo!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 159 - 08/01/2019 18:38:47    2156161

Link

Great to see Conroy back I hate to lose a lad to injury. I think FOC if he can keep injury free can get to the same level as Flynn last year.

The teams aim has to be to compete with Dublin otherwise whats the point. Massive strides were made last year and I think many of the lads wouldn't be happy with their performance in the semi final. KW has consistently added new players that make an impact every year and I'm hoping for similar this year. 1st task stay in Div 1. Fbd is for game time for players nice to get wins but results are quickly forgotten

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1177 - 08/01/2019 19:17:12    2156165

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "You are correct Trucker, At this stage it would be classified as a failed experiment as opposed to just an experiment. I would have thought we would have learned our lesson with the shoe horning in of Tom Flynn at 10 for a long period of his career."
Can't agree with your view on this. Conroy is an outstanding intelligent footballer well capable of playing at 8,9,11 or 14. He has done well in all of those positions for both club and county over the years. He was named 11 for a lot of games last year but dropped back into midfield and deeper as part of the system. Daly deserves a shot at 11 this year and Flynn and Duggan(or some of our other options) could do the hard running in midfield.. Conroy could drop back to midfield from 14 when needed and would be a danger drifting into 14 particularly to take the attention from Comer when he moves in. To judge him when he played there fairly breifly under Mullholland is very harsh as the quality of player and system in those times is no where near today's team. I can't see how a lad who has a long history of successfully playing both as a scoring forward and a midfielder can be classified by you as a failed experiment. Flynn positioning is not relevant to this point as he is completely different type of player. Agree he is not a wing forward although when picked there his role was to screen the defence rather than play as a traditional wing forward. With the options we have now it's unlikely he will see much more time at wing forward

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 320 - 08/01/2019 20:21:52    2156172

Link

I woukd like see Adrian varley given more game time I think he very smart footballer I would play him centre forward he great passer and good scorer , as regards Paul conroy good to hear he on way back but 2 be honest think he more squad player now not a starter for me again only my opinion ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 08/01/2019 21:34:51    2156189

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Not too many here going to club games based on the teams being picked. Sure I suppose ye might be at as many as the management."
Why what outstanding club players are we missing?

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 203 - 08/01/2019 22:12:29    2156192

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Why what outstanding club players are we missing?"
None but that won't stop some idiots having a cheap shot

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 93 - 08/01/2019 23:07:55    2156199

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I woukd like see Adrian varley given more game time I think he very smart footballer I would play him centre forward he great passer and good scorer , as regards Paul conroy good to hear he on way back but 2 be honest think he more squad player now not a starter for me again only my opinion ,"
Fair comment. I think Conroy fully fit is a starter but we can agree to disagree. See people can disagree on the starting team or can be unhappy about players who didn't get the call without insulting the other lads on the panel. Absolutely no need for it

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1177 - 08/01/2019 23:56:50    2156202

Link

My championship team would be

Power
Silke, Sean Andy, kerins
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Flynn, Duggan
Daly, Walsh, Mcdaid
Conroy, Comer, Burke

It might be a little unfair on lavelle but power's kickouts swing it in his favour for me. I've picked a brand new half back line but these 3 are the best half backs in the county by a country mile. John Daly in particular will be too good to ignore. Molloy and Wall ooze class. Midfield is competitive area but I think Flynn and Duggan are our best option. Daly and walsh are certain starters. Mcdaid is a real gem. A naturally talented footballer with a serious engine. A classy finisher also and very versatile. Capable of playing anywhere so he will have to get the start. its hard to see brannigan getting a start with mcdaid or indeed Kelly available. If Conroy is back fit then you could start him at 15 and let him drift out around midfield. Heaney had a great league last year but had a quiet championship. A good option to come of the bench bit if he can find his form again , he'll push hard to start. Overall I think my 15 good enough to cause serious problems to any team in the country including Dublin provided of course they are let of the leash by management. All will depend on the tactics and system of play adopted. If we park the bus, we can forget it. Trust the players and let them express themselves and we won't be far away

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 09/01/2019 00:17:10    2156205

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Can't agree with your view on this. Conroy is an outstanding intelligent footballer well capable of playing at 8,9,11 or 14. He has done well in all of those positions for both club and county over the years. He was named 11 for a lot of games last year but dropped back into midfield and deeper as part of the system. Daly deserves a shot at 11 this year and Flynn and Duggan(or some of our other options) could do the hard running in midfield.. Conroy could drop back to midfield from 14 when needed and would be a danger drifting into 14 particularly to take the attention from Comer when he moves in. To judge him when he played there fairly breifly under Mullholland is very harsh as the quality of player and system in those times is no where near today's team. I can't see how a lad who has a long history of successfully playing both as a scoring forward and a midfielder can be classified by you as a failed experiment. Flynn positioning is not relevant to this point as he is completely different type of player. Agree he is not a wing forward although when picked there his role was to screen the defence rather than play as a traditional wing forward. With the options we have now it's unlikely he will see much more time at wing forward"
Whats the difference between 8 & 9 ?

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 09/01/2019 09:05:06    2156211

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Whats the difference between 8 & 9 ?"

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1259 - 09/01/2019 10:29:08    2156221

Link