Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great win in tough conditions. Kildare were filthy! Just before full time you could see a kildare lad on top of Varley boxing the head off him! There must be some rule in GAA where the ref can't award a free to a team with an extra man!
Comer was fouled before his 'goal'. Ian Burke fouled all day long.
Agree about Daly, he was shaping up well till he had to go off.We need to work on our finishing though.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 22/07/2018 16:20:20    2124712

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Great win in tough conditions. Kildare were filthy! Just before full time you could see a kildare lad on top of Varley boxing the head off him! There must be some rule in GAA where the ref can't award a free to a team with an extra man!
Agree about Daly, he was shaping up well till he had to go off.We need to work on our finishing though."
Happens all the time in GAA, after a red, 14 men get soft frees and 15 get nothing.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 404 - 22/07/2018 16:46:46    2124728

Link

We won and I don't care how we did it. Absolutely scorching in kildare very tough to play in

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 22/07/2018 17:00:51    2124737

Link

So Galway are into the semifinals regardless of what happens in Pearse Stadium v Monaghan and even a draw will be good enough to top the group and avoid Dublin in the semifinal. Congrats to the management and team. Again like last week v Kerry, I think that game should have been won much more comfortably and the defence was not as tight as Kevin Walsh would have liked so there is plenty to work on in the next couple of weeks. One game at a time but for now well done on a job well done!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 22/07/2018 18:05:12    2124771

Link

A very good win in what was a tough game at a difficult venue. As has been said, we have lots to work on. One concern is the amount of goal chances we leave behind. This was a theme in the league too. Come semi final time we can't be passing those up.
I was delighted Kevin stuck with Daly after last week. He's a man who needed game time. I hope it's only a minor twinge, as he's a seriously classy footballer when on his game. We need all the options we can get.
I thought Tom Flynn did very well today against a big physical Kildare midfield. He's really developed this year.
We made hard work if it in the end, but it keeps us moving with more improvement to make. There's no fear of these lads getting carried away.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 930 - 22/07/2018 20:04:50    2124836

Link

Well done Kevin Walsh and Galway Squad. No matter what happens now, this will be considered a huge year for this bunch of great lads who decided to play for Galway and Kevin when we were down. Kevin started from scratch with this squad and they have done us proud. So happy for the loyal players who had no excuse when Galway needed them.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 22/07/2018 22:30:41    2124919

Link

A great win
Full back line very good
Duane got a massive interception near the end
Sean Kelly class again and Cathal Sweeney
Flynn's great year continues
Great spread of scorers
Kildare got a man SO for a blatant punch on SA and are agreived, can have no complaint and the corner back should have followed for the elbow on Comer that I saw
Always felt we would win right through
Whole setup is excellent and have maintained excellent discipline all year
Need to go on an beat Monaghan now to dodge the Dubs in the semi

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 22/07/2018 23:12:21    2124932

Link

kildare are a massively physical team and with the tight dimensions fo newbridge it played into their hands....it was a massive result to come out of there with a win
monaghan will bringsomething similar and we need to deal better with the hard running lines on the edge of our defensive arc
also need to set comer up running toward goal...the man is a juggernaut
very happy with how an awful lot of the play is going and hoping daly is not too bad as based on today he brings something something to the party
we missed conroy today and need duggan back asap for fresh legs in the midfield sector
monaghan will bring massive physicality and organisation as well as hostility off it....saturday of rACE week- lets show them what the lion's den looks like

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 22/07/2018 23:19:27    2124936

Link

So who would Galway like to meet in the semi final
The dubs or Tyrone?
Would Galway prefer kerry to have a rattle at Dublin in a semi final rather than Monahan?
As for Galway to reach the semi final is a major step forward,if they get to the final a huge bonus.
The dubs are the standard bearers but look mayo have been so close the last two years they are not unbeatable.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 163 - 23/07/2018 08:04:57    2124961

Link

This avoiding Dubs at all cost in a semi final is a bit pointless, as we will have to beat them anyway to win anything. Why not prepare to meet them in the semi. Rest up and give the lads a well earned rest and tend to their wounds. Monaghan will be fighting for their lives in Salthill it could be a physical gruelling match. We should avoid more injuries and suspensions. I would give the rest of the squad a chance, maybe call in a few new names. Who are we killing ourselves for?? Kerry??

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 23/07/2018 08:55:17    2124973

Link

Great win.. 13 different scores. Yhere is some massive work been put in by these lads the whole panel on the training ground. Kerin is some player one of the best corner backs now in the game. Agree beat Monaghan and head for Croker in a great frame of mind.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 23/07/2018 09:11:50    2124982

Link

Great to see Galway produce yet another result. Very surprised that he went with P.Sweeney as Daly's replacement? Don't think he is up to that standard and surely Army, Varley and Cummins should all be ahead of him. Pity we didn't see Danny Cummins get a run but the game didn't suit and he probably isn't sharp just yet

goalk111 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 23/07/2018 09:31:37    2124995

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Great win in tough conditions. Kildare were filthy! Just before full time you could see a kildare lad on top of Varley boxing the head off him! There must be some rule in GAA where the ref can't award a free to a team with an extra man!
Agree about Daly, he was shaping up well till he had to go off.We need to work on our finishing though."
There should be a citing commissioner at every championship game - Varley got an awful doing at the end of the game - if this happened at lets say ~25mins into the game it would be a red card and there would be repercussions in terms of the Kildare player missing future games. But it seems once its done as or when the game is over its all like 'ah sure Game is over lets just forget about it"

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 23/07/2018 09:42:36    2124998

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "A very good win in what was a tough game at a difficult venue. As has been said, we have lots to work on. One concern is the amount of goal chances we leave behind. This was a theme in the league too. Come semi final time we can't be passing those up.
I was delighted Kevin stuck with Daly after last week. He's a man who needed game time. I hope it's only a minor twinge, as he's a seriously classy footballer when on his game. We need all the options we can get.
I thought Tom Flynn did very well today against a big physical Kildare midfield. He's really developed this year.
We made hard work if it in the end, but it keeps us moving with more improvement to make. There's no fear of these lads getting carried away."
Very good post. It was great to see Flynn in the pre-game huddle really dictating terms and layout out what he expected from team-mates. He's really stood up this year.

Also on the gloat chances, its seems Sweeney needs 2 chances to score a goal i.e like the Kerry goal when first chance is saved but rebound comes back to him with keeper on the ground! Galway need to be more clinical in front of goal especially in the semifinal and (hopefully final)....did I just say that?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 23/07/2018 09:45:11    2125000

Link

Replying To goalk111:  "Great to see Galway produce yet another result. Very surprised that he went with P.Sweeney as Daly's replacement? Don't think he is up to that standard and surely Army, Varley and Cummins should all be ahead of him. Pity we didn't see Danny Cummins get a run but the game didn't suit and he probably isn't sharp just yet"
I don't think we'll see Cummins in a senior Galway jersey again to be honest

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 23/07/2018 09:48:01    2125002

Link

Great win by the lads, showing great character, the panel doing unreal, the starters get it to a point and all the subs coming in made an impact.. I'm sure kevin had a dilemma in his head last night / this morning whether to go flat out against Monaghan or not. The semi finals are 8 days after the monaghan game. I say rest up and take on the dubs in the semi final, no point in wasting energy trying to avoid them. the goal is Sam and the dubs are going to be in the way of that. The dubs will be resting players in 2 weeks against roscommon and I think we should do the same and start preparation today for the dubs rather than in a few weeks time. what do ye think. turn it into a positive, we have a few lads with niggles so aiming these lads for the semi in 20 days rather than monaghan in twelve days would see us flying it on semi final day. any one agree?

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 23/07/2018 10:57:43    2125047

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "This avoiding Dubs at all cost in a semi final is a bit pointless, as we will have to beat them anyway to win anything. Why not prepare to meet them in the semi. Rest up and give the lads a well earned rest and tend to their wounds. Monaghan will be fighting for their lives in Salthill it could be a physical gruelling match. We should avoid more injuries and suspensions. I would give the rest of the squad a chance, maybe call in a few new names. Who are we killing ourselves for?? Kerry??"
Sammy I agree with you completely!

I'm fairly sure we must have one or two players close to a suspension due to accumliation of black and yellow cards. We definately have at least 5 players carrying small niggly injuries. Considering this game against Monaghan is a shot to nothing more or less we need to rest all of these players and have a fully fit & suspension free team for the semi finals.
Can I pose a direct question? Considering we'll have to beat Dublin to win an all Ireland, would it be easier to beat them in a semi final or a final. Now don't forget a football final this year could have us going for the double! It would be primetime for Dublin media to heap unvelieveable pressure on this Galway Football setup.

Also as you point out Sammy, if we were to lose to Monaghan, Kerry would be out of the Championship, not a bad thing as we all know the longer they stay in the competition the tougher they'll be to beat and so a much less hyped Semi final against a Dublin team that isn't hitting 5 gear as of yet this season seems like the best option for a few reasons!

I'd like us to rest 8-10 players. Call on the remaining fit panel members to give them a full match. The likes of D'Arcy etc would benefit greatly in a full blooded championship match. Maybe a few more of the u20s or even a few of the juniors like Enda Tierney considering we're short of options in midfield and sure whatever happens happens against Monaghan. Gaillimh Abu

webbsborough (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 23/07/2018 11:16:48    2125069

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "Great win by the lads, showing great character, the panel doing unreal, the starters get it to a point and all the subs coming in made an impact.. I'm sure kevin had a dilemma in his head last night / this morning whether to go flat out against Monaghan or not. The semi finals are 8 days after the monaghan game. I say rest up and take on the dubs in the semi final, no point in wasting energy trying to avoid them. the goal is Sam and the dubs are going to be in the way of that. The dubs will be resting players in 2 weeks against roscommon and I think we should do the same and start preparation today for the dubs rather than in a few weeks time. what do ye think. turn it into a positive, we have a few lads with niggles so aiming these lads for the semi in 20 days rather than monaghan in twelve days would see us flying it on semi final day. any one agree?"
Monaghan will be so up for it - especially having let Kerry off the hook, mind boggling stuff really!! However, I'm sure they'll be more than happy with a draw in Pearse stadium... No way will either team will progress past semis if it's a full blooded contest... Time for logistics and practicalities to take precedence..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 23/07/2018 11:21:36    2125077

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "I don't think we'll see Cummins in a senior Galway jersey again to be honest"
Would totally disagree with that. He came on against Sligo & was on the bench yesterday.
Remember he is not long back from an operation that ruled him out for the entire league campaign.
He is only 28.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 23/07/2018 11:30:25    2125085

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Would totally disagree with that. He came on against Sligo & was on the bench yesterday.
Remember he is not long back from an operation that ruled him out for the entire league campaign.
He is only 28."
Totally agree. I think that Galway forward line is overrated, in terms of scoring threat. Kelly & Brannigan are 'water carriers' as opposed to scorers, and you can't knock water carriers in modern day gaelic football. Ian Burke is gone 100% provider, and is brilliant at it, but it means he isn't scoring a lot. Daly is needed in that mix, because he can score points more prolifically than most of the others. That leaves Walsh & Comer, who are having good seasons, but can be hit & miss in the finishing stakes too. Dropping McHugh creates a problem on the frees too, because as 2 footed as Walsh is, he's vulnerable on the frees imo, especially with more difficult frees. I wouldn't put him in the Maurice Fitzgerald league, as a 2 footed ground ball striker.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2387 - 23/07/2018 12:08:12    2125116

Link