Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tommy k:  "Sean Andy is doing a fine job at fullback overall but he only came. I had suggested David Finnegan many years ago when the fullback position was a troublesome spot. Galway are 2 midfielders down who could potentially be first choice i.e. Conroy and Duggan so it is logical to suggest alternatives. Flynn (who is running into a bit of form in the last couple of games) and Cooke probably will start against Kildare but who are the back-ups - Darcy, O'Curraoin? Darcy (who I think is a very good player) only came on in the last few minutes of 1 league game and O'Curraoin has been out of competitive football for the last couple of years due to injury etc. so it is not unreasonable to suggest other alternatives albeit I was a bit tongue in cheek re the Daithi Burke suggestion if you couldn't tell that by the wording used!"
I posted the David Finnegan jibe last night but it didnt make it.. Even Hoganstand cant believe some of the stuff you post TommyK.. ludicrous posts

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 19/07/2018 20:02:01    2123852

Link

Not sure who said varely not creative enough for centre forward he is prob one of most comfortable players on the ball and can kick off both feet he ideal centre forward great passes into full forward line made pass v mayo into Burke for Heaney goal great point off left v Ross and 2 off right last day class act in my opinion,, , I still think he and Cooke might not start Walsh likes to have serious fire power to bring on I think daly might even start midfield I might be way out just a thought ,, just think daly would not offer as much coming off bench

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 19/07/2018 20:12:22    2123856

Link

Full Belief in Kevin Walsh to pick the Right players, Drop the right players, Bring in the right players and especially ignore the wrong players. Kevin Walsh has brought football out of the doldrums in Galway. You can be naming names all you like and even suggest picking your Sister. One Boss here, one manager here, and only one person who knows what he is talking about and that is KEVIN WALSH. Like it or Lump it, Boys.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 19/07/2018 21:12:12    2123872

Link

I was of the opinion that this forum is where Galway supporters give there opinion don't think anyone said anything negative about the manger or the teams being chooses just opinions so lighten up ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 19/07/2018 21:54:32    2123877

Link

I have a feeling Tyrone could catch the dubs this weekend and Dublin could finish 2nd in their group ..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 19/07/2018 22:28:25    2123884

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Full Belief in Kevin Walsh to pick the Right players, Drop the right players, Bring in the right players and especially ignore the wrong players. Kevin Walsh has brought football out of the doldrums in Galway. You can be naming names all you like and even suggest picking your Sister. One Boss here, one manager here, and only one person who knows what he is talking about and that is KEVIN WALSH. Like it or Lump it, Boys."
We are obviously within our right to name the team we'd like to see play. We know Kevin picks the team it's not like were texting him with our preferred team so lighten up were all Maroon and white army here.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 19/07/2018 23:43:02    2123904

Link

If Kildare are as tired as people ( myself included) think, then Brannigan should be left off until the last 15-20mins.

He's a confidence player, and could make hay against a jaded defence. May be the kick-start his season needs...

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 20/07/2018 00:59:27    2123916

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "I posted the David Finnegan jibe last night but it didnt make it.. Even Hoganstand cant believe some of the stuff you post TommyK.. ludicrous posts"
We know trolling is your hobby belclare so I was very surprised it wasn't you that rolled out the old "David Finnegan" jibe that you like to throw out every so often when I post here. I believed he was the right player for that position at that time and as other posters rightly pointed out, this is a forum for giving opinions on who should be playing etc and not trolling / running down other posters like yourself and a couple of others like to do here continuously which is not really contributing anything much apart from trying to boost your own ego!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/07/2018 09:49:37    2123948

Link

People complaining about Brannigans shooting clearly didnt watch the league where he was by far and away Galways most accurate forward from play. Accurate vs Sligo also. The entire notion has come from a few wides in bad conditions in the last two games

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 116 - 20/07/2018 11:48:34    2123983

Link

Replying To streaker:  "If Kildare are as tired as people ( myself included) think, then Brannigan should be left off until the last 15-20mins.

He's a confidence player, and could make hay against a jaded defence. May be the kick-start his season needs..."
I know Brannigans shot selection was poor on sunday but don't forget the ground he covered, the link play he was involved in.

Subs very important again . Fresh legs to close the game out. If you look at the goal when Walsh burst up the pitch there's no one inside but Varley, p. Sweeney and GOD have the legs to go with Walsh and give him options. First year that I get a match programme and I'm as interested in who made the bench just as much as I am in the starting 15

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 20/07/2018 12:01:52    2123988

Link

Replying To streaker:  "If Kildare are as tired as people ( myself included) think, then Brannigan should be left off until the last 15-20mins.

He's a confidence player, and could make hay against a jaded defence. May be the kick-start his season needs..."
In fairness his form has been good all year only his shooting has been off in recent matches. Has to start for his runs alone and box to box mindset.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1749 - 20/07/2018 13:38:40    2124018

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "I have a feeling Tyrone could catch the dubs this weekend and Dublin could finish 2nd in their group .."
Very true. I expect Tyrone to really put it up to them. It's very possible that Tyrone could win which would leave them on 4 and Dublin on 2 points. If roscommon ship another hammering to donegal then it would make the last series of games in that group very interesting.

Donegal would fancy beating Tyrone in ballybofey which would leave them both on 4 points. You could then be left with a situation where Dublin would have to hammer roscommon in Croker to make it to semi final. The group would then come down to scoring averages. Would be very interesting if mcstay abandoned his man to man strategy and parked the bus for that game.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 20/07/2018 21:32:07    2124151

Link

Shane Walsh has been a shining light this year in the championship. Tom Flynn has been reinvented since being taken off against Mayo. Bradshaw has become a serious leader. Eoghan Kerins is the best corner back in the country at the moment. in saying that I am worried (Not as worried as i was a week ago), the supporting cast needs to step up massively over the next 3 weeks especially given the absence of Duggan and the unfortunate Injury to Conroy.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 275 - 20/07/2018 22:33:41    2124171

Link

What is situation with Duggan? I'd he definitely out of all super 8's? Amy chance he'd be back for semi final if we are fortunate enough to be there?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 20/07/2018 23:58:08    2124190

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "What is situation with Duggan? I'd he definitely out of all super 8's? Amy chance he'd be back for semi final if we are fortunate enough to be there?"
The original prognosis was that he'd definitely miss the Super 8s, but had a chance to make the All Ireland semi if we got there.
There is some talk now that he could potentially make an appearance in the Monaghan game, but we'll have to wait and see.
It's all down to how fast the injury heals over the next couple of weeks.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 930 - 21/07/2018 09:31:46    2124211

Link

Kildare away will be a tough ask but for the first time in a very long time there's reason to go into a huge championship game with expectation of a result rather than hope.

Best of luck to the lads and management. Here's hoping will be toasting to another unreal Tom Flynn performance.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 21/07/2018 10:17:09    2124216

Link

Really lucky to have found a Proper Full Back this year. All backs playing well and great at counter-attacking like Kyne scoring a Vital Point against Kerry. Sean Kelly magnificent against Kerry and I think he will be even more effective against Kildare. Comer's strength also to show more against Kildare. Feeling Confident if we stop Goals we will grind them down.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 21/07/2018 23:00:05    2124449

Link

If Shane Walsh preforms later he surely will be up there for footballer of the year. All stars are a real possibility for Kerin Sean andy
Flynn Kelly
Walsh burke and comer if they have a good year.

I also think Heaney is our most underrated player. He constantly get into goal scoring oppertunities and never gets found. He did against mayo this year and donegal last year but twice against Kerry he would have been in . Brannigan two hit 2 bad wides against Kerry and didn't really want to shoot for the rest of the game. Cooke aswell doesn't kick for points with confidence. Another Allianz league would do him the world of good. Cluxtons kickouts are overhyped also. If Galway fully push up and disrupt their kickout I'm probably being biased but I think they could beat them. Massive respect for Kildare but I believe they don't have anyone who can stop Walsh or Burke or Comer. Comer was carrying a knock against Kerry. About time he got another goal in a big game. Galway 1-17
Kildare 0-13

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 22/07/2018 00:06:01    2124497

Link

about to leave for nowhere (my lift is late!)
anyway i think today will be a big day for comer....has been quiet since the league really apart from sligo game so i expect an eruption today against a tired kildare defence
expect an onslaught early on aided by the home venue but Galway to take control by half time and push on in the second half

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 22/07/2018 10:35:34    2124577

Link

Halftime now ..so far what do ye think?
Pity mike daly had to go off he started the gane really well and you could see he was up for it , his hamstring was at him all week i heard !
Everyone else for Galway been poor enough other than daly , kerin , burke , comer , walsh , cooke !
Is our defenisive system working or is it just really open out there ?

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 22/07/2018 14:37:00    2124668

Link