Fermanagh Forum

National Football League Division 2 - 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To abitawit:  "Well that was our worst 35min performance in quite a while..

The glaring reason for such a poor second half was down to not been able to retain possession from our kickout, people will say we missed donnelly which is true but not the reason for th total inability to win any possession from our kickouts.
1.Wingbacks mccusker and rehill wer on the 21 for evrry kickout..but the ball was never goin short with the pressing of galway so those 2 would hav been as effective standing behind the goal.
2.A benift of drawing the wingbacks out of midfield is that it gives space for the midfielders to run into which aiden breen and cullen did everytime..breen inparticular made some good runs but snow needs a mins reflection for everykick when hes underpressure..im not just saying this basef on yesterdays performance but his kickouts are to slow and lack pace.
3.with breen and cullen making the runs into space conroy and fin done a good job of holding there ground in the middle where snow would eventually hang the ball for them..I know they are 2 great feilders but even if they didnt catch th mark they were creating 3 on 1 situations.

And yes the referee had some awful calls..

And most importantly..fermanagh never win playin right to left in the second half!!!!"
Go and stand at the other side of the ground, problem solved!

benched (Tyrone) - Posts: 498 - 13/02/2017 14:07:18    1956149

Link

We coped very well without a midfield target man for 30 mins but we couldn't survive for last 30 ... we still can't score goals and that's a real worry ... I hated to see us cheering off team at half time ... like it was job done .... anyway this league has only begun ... promotion is still on the cards as we are as good as anything in this division as no one is running away with the Div2 title ... jones jones mcmanus Corrigan all to come back ... we really missed a big man or two for last 30 was surprised to see Hyde stay on bench

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 13/02/2017 22:09:44    1956435

Link

Sunday, February 26, 2017
Round 3 - Páirc Uí Rinn @ 13:00
Cork v Fermanagh
Referee: Anthony Nolan

Will the same Fermanagh team start against Cork? i.e. Chris Snow; Patrick Rehill, Che Cullen, Cian McManus; Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Barry Mulrone; Eoin Donnelly, Lee Cullen; Aidan Breen, Cathal Beacom, Paul McCusker; Eddie Courtney, Sean Quigley, Tomas Corrigan. Is Ryan Jones ready to start for this Cork game as mid field has been weak and Eoin Donnelly needs a more experienced partner to maximise performance. Also, what can be done with the backline as I thought the backs were too easily penetrated in the Galway game?

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 21/02/2017 10:11:23    1959027

Link

Think this will be hard fought against a middleweight Cork outfit but can't see 2 points coming home, hopefully I'm wrong.

weemanmc (Fermanagh) - Posts: 102 - 21/02/2017 10:46:01    1959052

Link

Cork were able to get a draw in Galway but were beaten by Kildare by 6 points in Newbridge which suggests that they are an improving team. They certainly have slipped a lot since 2010 when they won the All Ireland but they will be very hard to beat down there.

eamonkeown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 22/02/2017 14:49:33    1959576

Link

If Fermanagh take points from this away game then I hold out hope for them in terms of a possible promotion but it may be wishful thinking. They would need to manage the game better than they done in the tribesmen meeting. Anyway does anyone know if there is a GAA supporters bus going to Cork? If so let me know asap?

Wired2theMoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 22/02/2017 21:54:30    1959714

Link

Replying To eamonkeown:  "Cork were able to get a draw in Galway but were beaten by Kildare by 6 points in Newbridge which suggests that they are an improving team. They certainly have slipped a lot since 2010 when they won the All Ireland but they will be very hard to beat down there."
If you go from a draw to getting beat how is that improvement?

weemanmc (Fermanagh) - Posts: 102 - 23/02/2017 15:37:05    1959915

Link

Wouldn't be surprised if Fermanagh turn cork over .... We have made every match on th road a tight affair since Derry match .. Lost to Armagh in last second drew with Galway beat down .. Seems the road suits us

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 23/02/2017 16:52:31    1959953

Link

It's half time and it's Cork 1-7 Fermanagh 0-4. Scores for Fermanagh all from play from Corrigan (1pt), Quigley (2pts), Courtney (1pt). Believe it or not the tandem man is in front of me!

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 395 - 26/02/2017 13:49:20    1960931

Link

Full time Cork 1-14 Fermanagh 0-9. Fermanagh players to score included Sean Quigley (4pts), Tomas Corrigan (2pts), Eddie Courtney (1pts), Ryan Jones (1pt), Aidan Breen (1pt) . Too many yellow cards for us. Quigley was Fermanagh's best player. I think promotion is no longer a possibility as we take on current league toppers, Kildare next Sunday. From my listening position, I got a good insight into what macca (the tandem man) thinks of the Fermanagh manager and some of the team members and it wasn't too complimentary!

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 395 - 26/02/2017 14:43:40    1960957

Link

Fermanagh couldnt get a grip in the first half and were never able to score a number of points on the trot in the 2nd half to mount a challenge

In the first half..Barry mulrone at corner back, lee cullen who had been doin a solid job with eoin donnelly at midfield to wing back and ryan hyde who has never played a min of leauge football at midfield...was that too many unnecessary changes?..

On the second half fermanagh needed to try n get 3points on the trot and make cork nervous, clearly tht didnt happen...
With about nealy 15mins left to go in the galway game their was 2points in it and fermanagh were forcing goal opportunities..again today fermanagh were forcing goal chances when they just needed to keep goin for points.

Tuff game next week but with derry and clare at hime and meath away we should have a good enuff team to stay in div 2.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 26/02/2017 15:02:36    1960966

Link

Oh oh Fermanagh again struggling in the relegation zone like last year. Kildare is expected to win in the next meeting and I think Derry is on a high after winning against Kildare today. Not looking good when it's reported the macca is sounding so critical of the manager and players!!

Allianz Football League Roinn 2 updatw

Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Galway 3 2 1 0 52 38 5
2 Kildare 3 2 0 1 63 48 4
3 Cork 3 1 1 1 42 40 3
4 Clare 3 1 1 1 42 44 3
5 Derry 3 1 1 1 41 55 3
6 Meath 3 1 0 2 54 51 2
7 Fermanagh 3 1 0 2 38 43 2
8 Down 3 1 0 2 37 50 2

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 26/02/2017 18:31:25    1961134

Link

Despite some claims I wasnt at the game yesterday but going by various reports the result was fair for the performance and only for some good Thomas Treacy saves it could have been worse. Cork away was always going to be a tough game,fact they hadnt won yet meant there were going to be 100% focussed.

The defeat along with other results really leaves the division finely poised,with Derry facing Down next weekend and Fermanagh away to a Kildare team reeling from a controverisal last gasp defeat,its going to be a battle for any points in remaining games
Positives were that Ryan Jones and Mickey Jones back in the team,plus Sean Quigley is getting sharper by the week,least Cian McManus will come in for next game too. The physicality has been highlighted in last two games as both Galway and Cork have bossed the midfield sector when Fermanagh forced to kick long,Kildare are a strong outfit too,so vital that Fermanagh do better on the breaks and kickouts are sharp

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 27/02/2017 18:04:07    1961751

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Despite some claims I wasnt at the game yesterday but going by various reports the result was fair for the performance and only for some good Thomas Treacy saves it could have been worse. Cork away was always going to be a tough game,fact they hadnt won yet meant there were going to be 100% focussed.

The defeat along with other results really leaves the division finely poised,with Derry facing Down next weekend and Fermanagh away to a Kildare team reeling from a controverisal last gasp defeat,its going to be a battle for any points in remaining games
Positives were that Ryan Jones and Mickey Jones back in the team,plus Sean Quigley is getting sharper by the week,least Cian McManus will come in for next game too. The physicality has been highlighted in last two games as both Galway and Cork have bossed the midfield sector when Fermanagh forced to kick long,Kildare are a strong outfit too,so vital that Fermanagh do better on the breaks and kickouts are sharp"
All I will say is that you must have a double! Anyhow, I would question your assessment "The defeat along with other results really leaves the division finely poised,with Derry facing Down next weekend and Fermanagh away to a Kildare team reeling from a controversial last gasp defeat,its going to be a battle for any points in remaining games" as very like you, your 'double' who voiced similar thoughts on Sunday don't have much faith in the Fermanagh team. I would differ in that, Fermanagh has had only 3 games so far and lost to the two top toughest teams in the league therefore it is a bit premature to be writing their obituary yet. Fermanagh could easily win all their remaining games and earn sufficient points to stay safe in division two for another season. As for your reference to the Derrygonnelly players supposedly great input, I can tell you that I was there and that was not the case. Good to see you acknowledging Sean Quigley's brilliant effort on Sunday which means you have come a long way in terms of accepting the Quigleys' traditionally good inputs. The biggest mistake Fermanagh made was dropping Seamus Quigley who was worth more than the rest of the team put together. The lad needed encouragement rather than rejection by those who had not the skill sets to deal with such issues. Finally, if by your prediction Fermanagh fails, then it's time for a change at the top!

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 395 - 28/02/2017 16:17:17    1962174

Link

Sunday, March 05, 201713:00
NFL Div 2 Round 4 -
Kildare v Fermanagh
At Newbridge with throw-in at 1pm
Referee: Padraig O Sullivan

Let's hope we have more supporters this weekend other than the Derrygonnelly gang. I hope things go better for Fermanagh as management made a helms of it against Cork especially changing players too often when it wasn't necessary leaving the team not as co-ordinated or as functional as it could have been. A win would be some comfort but losing will leave Fermanagh very vulnerable to relegation. .

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 04/03/2017 19:27:58    1963573

Link

It's half time here in Newbridge and it's Kildare 3-06 Fermanagh 0-09. Games positives - Fermanagh making a slight recovery; Barry Mulrone playing well. Negative - Terrible goalkeeping. Starting Fermanagh team: Christopher Snow, Mickey Jones, Che Cullen, James McMahon, Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Lee Cullen, Eoin Donnelly, Tomas Corrigan, Paul McCusker, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen, Barry Mulrone, Sean Quigley and Eddie Courtney.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 05/03/2017 13:45:33    1963802

Link

I was gunna post this earlier in the week...a few years ago under mcgrath fermanagh lost several league games through ther concession of goals at that time fermanagh had a full forward line of seamie sean and tomas..the awful deffensive record was addressed by bringin in an outfield player to the full forward line...which leads me on to my next point......why is the management insisting on playin corrigan courtney and quigley? Thats such an obvious mistake.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 05/03/2017 13:56:31    1963806

Link

I was gunna post this earlier in the week...a few years ago under mcgrath fermanagh lost several league games through ther concession of goals at that time fermanagh had a full forward line of seamie sean and tomas..the awful deffensive record was addressed by bringin in an outfield player to the full forward line...which leads me on to my next point......why is the management insisting on playin corrigan courtney and quigley? Thats such an obvious mistake.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 05/03/2017 13:56:39    1963807

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "It's half time here in Newbridge and it's Kildare 3-06 Fermanagh 0-09. Games positives - Fermanagh making a slight recovery; Barry Mulrone playing well. Negative - Terrible goalkeeping. Starting Fermanagh team: Christopher Snow, Mickey Jones, Che Cullen, James McMahon, Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Lee Cullen, Eoin Donnelly, Tomas Corrigan, Paul McCusker, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen, Barry Mulrone, Sean Quigley and Eddie Courtney."
It's all over Kildare 4-14 Fermanagh 0-14. It was a disastrous performance for Fermanagh considering that Kildare took it easy in the the later part of the 2nd half. Our back line was too weak and were too passively penetrated with big questions to be asked about Declan McCusker and Ryan McCluskey. At midfield Fermanagh couldn't command dominance. I think ageing goalkeeper, Snow's tenure is coming to an end. I also think that McGrath tenure is also up for discussion as his game plans have failed miserably in the last three successive games. I leave here like the other Fermanagh supporters extremely disappointed!

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1320 - 05/03/2017 14:48:35    1963815

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "
Replying To erneboy:  "It's half time here in Newbridge and it's Kildare 3-06 Fermanagh 0-09. Games positives - Fermanagh making a slight recovery; Barry Mulrone playing well. Negative - Terrible goalkeeping. Starting Fermanagh team: Christopher Snow, Mickey Jones, Che Cullen, James McMahon, Declan McCusker, Ryan McCluskey, Lee Cullen, Eoin Donnelly, Tomas Corrigan, Paul McCusker, Ryan Jones, Aidan Breen, Barry Mulrone, Sean Quigley and Eddie Courtney."
It's all over Kildare 4-14 Fermanagh 0-14. It was a disastrous performance for Fermanagh considering that Kildare took it easy in the the later part of the 2nd half. Our back line was too weak and were too passively penetrated with big questions to be asked about Declan McCusker and Ryan McCluskey. At midfield Fermanagh couldn't command dominance. I think ageing goalkeeper, Snow's tenure is coming to an end. I also think that McGrath tenure is also up for discussion as his game plans have failed miserably in the last three successive games. I leave here like the other Fermanagh supporters extremely disappointed!"
Fermanagh defenders were isolated..fermanagh have been very naive in how they have approached th last three games..not quite sure wat role mcluskey has been playin...I know courtney is a promising player but he needs to b dropped for a player whos gunna come out and shore up midfield and defence...absolutely no attacking advantage to have them 3 on the field and defensively its more or less 3 players out of the game....tht was clear after the galway and cork game, didnt expect mcgrath to go with the same approach today.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 05/03/2017 15:35:09    1963827

Link