Fermanagh Forum

McKenna Cup 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I heard this "young" St. Mary's team had an old Kevin McKernan pulling the strings and kicking points. Early days, good to get a win, on to Pairc Esler.

sidelinecut40 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 07/01/2016 11:20:59    1815045

Link

AnBuachaillGlas talk about spin-doctoring with excuses...then you are an expert! You put Fermanagh's weak performance down to a "Very experimental team...and boys blooded though what a horrible night". Well were these young St Marys students aged 18 to 22 not considered experimental too? Did these young students not endure the same horrible weather last night? From what I hear Fermanagh were lucky even with many of their top men on board to edge a victory.

TurnipHead. (Fermanagh) - Posts:142 - 07/01/2016 09:37:47

"From what I hear" Turniphead tells its own story about you.

Not a great performance by any means but the first game of the year on a cold, wet & windy Garvaghey was never going to serve up a classic. Clear to see fitness wise there is a good bit to go but that will come, some of our lads certainly need a good bit more work than others!
Quigleys introduction added more threat and he put on a show for 20 mins to turn the game. Thought Kane connor worked hard throughout (wrong side of a few ref calls too) and Daniel Teague making his debut in the second half done very well.
Newry on sunday for the Down game, maybe you'll head to that turniphead?

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 267 - 07/01/2016 11:54:39    1815056

Link

Ahhh TurnipHead. you are at it again!! Can you please for once stop writing a pile of rubbish on here and comment with true facts. Its good to see we have some knowledgeable people on here to see past your poor, thought out and in many ways de-grading comments. You are my friend a man of the past. In saying that, I got no response to my previous comment towards you in another thread (The Past), so it is clear in my point of view that you are out of your depth in terms of your knowledge of GAA in our county and all you can do is spout rubbish and degrade others.
To the present, what were we expecting from lastnight.....a team to walk out over a fairly handy St. Marys team who have been training collectively from end of September / start of October? Catch yourself on. Kev McKernan got man of the match, most certainly over the age of 22 and a fine footballer, athlete and was immense lastnight, unlucky to be on the losing team, The result lastnight was turned around with some good football and attitude from the lads, and the experience of sean Quigley brought us through again in the end. It was good to blood in some of the newer lads. It will be interesting to see who can force there way into Petes plans if any.
In the end, its the result that matters even if us the supporters were frozen lastnight, but its a step in the right direction and on to Newry we go.
P.S. Its embarrassing thinking of Lissan when we take in the splendid set-up in Garvaghey. It just takes a good group of men and women to design something like that, something we clearly lacked in the past and in some ways have got no better presently.

Ferm4Sam (Fermanagh) - Posts: 161 - 07/01/2016 15:19:32    1815105

Link

Just to say well done to Fermanagh for coming through last night with a win after enduring terrible weather conditions. Although, the team encountered some difficulties but this was to be expected after an absence of competitive football. Nevertheless, with reformatting the team with more experienced players in the 2nd half helped to close the gap and finally get the all important result. I didn't observe anything outstanding in the new recruits that fielded but I assume it will take time to see if they will make it to the main team for the league and championships. I was very impressed by the Tyrone centre of excellence showcase which unfortunately makes our own Lissan pale into insignificance in comparison. As for this turnip man, I think he should refrain from commenting on the games unless he is personally there to witness them. Reading from the previous posts, I have deduced that this is the same guy that Dom once used as a analysis scribe for a younger county team. I was speaking to one of the Ederney players earlier and he said that he wasn't the players choice to take up a post with them. A final comment I wish to make is in regards to transport and I was wondering if the county board could be more active in organising buses for supporters to travel to the further away game venues?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 07/01/2016 16:18:07    1815134

Link

Two proper tests coming up ... Hope PETE continues to experiment ... We need a bigger spread of scoring forwards if we are to continue this upward curve

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 07/01/2016 19:31:44    1815189

Link

2016 BOI Dr McKenna Cup Group B
Pos. Team P W L D F A Pts
1 Donegal 1 1 0 0 14 11 2
2 Fermanagh 1 1 0 0 16 14 2
3 St Mary's 1 0 1 0 14 16 0
4 Down 1 0 1 0 11 14 0

Next McKenna Cup fixtures
Sunday 10th January: Round 2
Section B Down V Fermanagh at Newry
Wednesday 13th January: Round 3
Section B Fermanagh V Donegal at Brewster Park or Garvaghey

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 07/01/2016 21:36:41    1815228

Link

the fermanagh manager isn't really taking this mckenna cup thing to seriously but is using it as a platform for testing out new players and seeing how existing playing are coming along. that's the idea of most of the teams taking part so any early criticism is unnecessary and unwarranted.
i want to ask the cillnaile poster who this st joes player he was speaking to ?

dose. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 22 - 08/01/2016 16:56:17    1815358

Link

McKenna Cup Round 2
Derry 4-6 Tyrone 1-16, Owenbeg - FT
Donegal 0-8 St Marys 2-6, Letterkenny - FT
Down 0-8 Fermanagh 0-14, Pairc Esler - FT
Monaghan 2-9 Armagh 0-16, Clones - FT

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 10/01/2016 15:46:07    1815591

Link

I read that there was a good result at Newry but putting it in context, Down also lost in the first round as well. Without Quigley the story may have been different for the Fermanagh team. The starting team was detailed as Snow,Kelly, M.Jones, Teague, Flaherty, McMahon, Breen, C.Jones, D.McCusker,Mulrone, McGovern, P. McCusker, Hanna, Quigley and Corrigan. I read that McGrath fielded a few bench or new guys including as Teague, two McManuses and some Gullen guy all got a run out towards the end to keep them happy.

Very hard to judge teams in the first competition of the year as there is no real importance attached to the Mckenna cup. I see good teams like Monaghan losing to the student teachers and Donegal lost too. The Only tight game seems to be between Tyrone and Derry but there again that was to be expected considering the rival history between them.

A final note, it's great the macca999, the tandem man has exited this Fermanagh forum and is probably backing his old favourite Monaghan!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 10/01/2016 19:09:48    1815648

Link

Yesterdays man a few things.

1.) The result may have been different without Quigley but Quigley was there so it's an irrelevant point. If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle.
2.) 20% of the starting team were fresh on to this years panel. A number of other playing today wouldn't have been considered automatic choices last year, Breen, Fla, Jones etc. The majority of the bench were players that were not on the panel last year eg Hyde, Connors etc.
3.) Monaghan did not lose to 'Student Teachers'. I believe they lost to UUJ. The favourites for this years sigerson cup, a cup where the teams are made up of intercounty stars.

The only point I will agree with you on is that this competition is not all that important but hey it's always good to get a winning mentality.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 10/01/2016 20:27:22    1815669

Link

Well said Got Milk....some posters on here just to get their own agenda across with no interest in purposeful discussion or opinions....same people would slate team and management if lost games in this "meaningless" competition. Nobody here is going to get carried away with two wins in a Mc Kenna cup,we know Division 2 is going to be a serious test in few weeks. Still nice to blood new players and hopefully some show they are capable of pushing onto the starting 15.

Any word when Eddie Courtney will be fit to give another attacking option?

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 902 - 10/01/2016 21:26:48    1815689

Link

Great display today by the men in green!! I have great admiration for Corrigan who I think we will see great things from him this year. Scores came from a very accurate Sean Quigley (7), Tomas Corrigan (3), Barry Mulrone (1), Declan McCusker (1), Ryan Hanna (1) and Daniel Teague (1). Hopefully, on Wednesday night they will get another win when they meet Donegal who got surprisingly beaten by St Mary's young teaching students.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 10/01/2016 21:56:37    1815694

Link

Congratulations to Tomas Corrigan on being picked for HS team of the week...a star in the making! It was remiss of macca999 not to acknowledge Corrigan and Quigley's great contribution yestersday in his comment.

HS football team of the week
11 January 2016
As teams continue their preparations for the start of the Football Leagues, here's the players that impressed us over the weekend...
1. Matthew McNeice (Armagh)
2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)
3. Seanie McDermott (Roscommon)
4. Colm P Smyth (Longford)
5. Padraig O'Connor (Kerry)
6. Niall Murray (Cavan)
7. Alan Kyne (Galway)
8. Richie Donnelly (Tyrone)
9. Graham Reilly (Meath)
10. David Tubridy (Clare)
11. Mark Ronaldson (Mayo)
12. Tiernan Rossiter (Wexford)
13. Ronan Kennedy (Maynooth)
14. Jim McEnaney (Louth)
15. Tomas Corrigan (Fermanagh)

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 11/01/2016 18:27:45    1815901

Link

Anyone have a team sheet for tonight?

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 13/01/2016 16:06:51    1816365

Link

From personal view I think Sunday was a very big success. For the following reasons:
1) We were missing at least 8 players from last years team against the dubs i.e Treacy, Cass, Marty, Clucker, Donnelly, O'Callaghan, Jones and R Corrigan all of who were majors for us last year.
2) Impact of new players. McGovern from Kinawley and Hanna from Coa had very good games for their Fermnagh debut and hopefully we will see them again tonight.
3) Good showings from Aidan Breen and Damian Kelly who will hopefully push on this year and strengthen the team - strange seeing him in the middle but it worked out for Pete and the management
4) A great desire was shown from players to drive on from last year particularly Mulrone who I thought was excellent

Fermanaghboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 47 - 13/01/2016 16:39:42    1816386

Link

Fermanagh: C Snow, M Jones, P McGovern, A Breen, J McMahon, D Kelly, E Donnelly, C Jones, B Mulrone, C Flaherty, P McCusker, R Hanna, S Quigley, T Corrigan. HT Fermanagh 0-5 Donegal 0-5. Scores by Donnelly (1) Flaherty (1) Quigley (1, 1f) D McCusker (1)

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 13/01/2016 20:43:20    1816446

Link

FT Fermanagh 0-12 Donegal 0-8. 2nd half scores by Donnelly (1)Cadden (2) Quigley (3f) McMahon (1). Man of the match is Barry Mulrone.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 13/01/2016 21:34:46    1816460

Link

A tough draw for Fermanagh but they will give the holders Tyrone 'a run for their money' at St Tiernach's Park in Clones
Dr McKenna Cup Semi Finals:
Tyrone v Fermanagh at Clones, Ref: R Barry (Down), 2pm
Cavan v Derry at Armagh, Ref: N McKenna (Monaghan), 2pm

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 14/01/2016 12:44:26    1816573

Link

I know its January and I know it's McKenna cup but last night we were slick in attack, calm collected and efficient in defence and Mulrone and Donnelly in Middle third were awesome.
Sure there were mistakes and some great ideas didn't come off but I left Brewster park last night feeling very excited about the season ahead.

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 14/01/2016 13:01:14    1816578

Link

I wouldn't get too carried away with how Fermanagh has done so far in this non serious competition.

Last night there were many mistakes and too many ways which was worrying if Fermanagh is to go anywhere this season. Again we needed the accuracy of Quigley to steady the ship. Obviously Donegal is no where near their normal performance and the same with the Down team and of course Fermanagh just edged a late win against a few uni students.

The real test of Fermanagh's ability will tested when they meet Tyrone and I wouldn't hold your breath as the outcome is more or less a foregone conclusion. However, it may be no bad thing that Fermanagh gets beaten as it will put any recent easy successes into perspective. and help them to realise that the forthcoming league will be no easy venture.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 14/01/2016 13:41:30    1816597

Link