Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh County Senior Football Management

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

YesterdaysMan

That comment just really shows how much you know about your football. Rory Gallagher was asked in an interview recently........when did you know your fermanagh playing career was over? which Rory replied when John o'Neill took over as manager,

So even thought your comment was complete rubbish to start with, so just get it into your head IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

PS. just quit with the John o'Neill crap no1 cares------!

mr_gaa1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 242 - 27/09/2012 13:38:50    1273729

Link

Did any of the Fermanagh County Senior management turn up to club games in recent finals/semi finals? If not, why not?

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 24/10/2012 13:54:30    1287559

Link

yes sham as i seen canavan at the championship finals.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 26/10/2012 10:23:08    1288536

Link

It would be appreciated if the county management could take the time to follow the county champions in their Ulster run as there in our team lies the biggest potentiakl for the county senior team 2013.

Jacob86 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 244 - 29/10/2012 11:23:20    1289519

Link

do you expect the county management to be 24/7? the co board's coffers aint got much dosh!

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 29/10/2012 13:34:55    1289578

Link

Canavan will be starting his new season soon with the McKenna Cup and he needs time off. In any case he is nor obliged to run after one club team as his pick of players covers many clubs.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 29/10/2012 18:05:53    1289721

Link

Hardly likely to be running after a club team that has about 2 players of county level standard!

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 30/10/2012 10:50:06    1289950

Link

I have a few things to get of my chest.
Peter Canavan and his background team have already picked the Fermanagh squad for next year. They have met and have been given strength and conditioning programme to do over the winter. Along with this, ten under 21's have been selected to train with the senior panel as well. I welcome all of this because it should help bring Fermanagh football forward. But...
1. Why have there been no trials this year within Fermanagh? This was one of the main faults from certain players about the previous management.
2. Why has the U-21 management stepped down? Answer, in my opinion, because they were told that they would get no access to the ten U-21's in the senior panel until the start of February. These are the ten best underage prospects in Fermanagh. How could a U-21 management team prepare a team for the championship if they are missing ten of their best players for most of the season? A disgrace as we actually have a very good U-21 team this year. Maybe Peter should just take the whole U-21's this year. It would make a lot more sense

The Brewster Brawl.

Again this is usually something that I would welcome. An innovative idea by the players to raise money and help with their preparation for next season. But again on closer examination questions have to be asked...
Each player has been told they have to raise £500. Now if there is a 30 man panel that is £15000 plus the money they will make on the 3 nights themselves out of ticket sales, the raffle and the bar. It should raise a lot of money
1. What is this money going towards??
2. Who will control what it is spent on??
3. Will it be used to cover management travelling "expenses"?
I would be all for this event but I want clarity on exactly what the money is being used for and who will be controlling the purse strings.

And then finally the managerial record of Peter Canavan. No doubting that is was one of the greatest players to ever play Gaelic. But his managerial record would hardly fill you with confidence. His last club, his home club, Errigal Ciaran won the Tyrone championship this year, the year after he left the manager's job there to take the Fermanagh job. He obviously had a talented group of players. But why could we not inspire them to the heights of a Tyrone Championship. Can he handle the managerial pressure in the red hot heat of Championship football? From his two games last year in the championship, you would have to question his ability.

And finally what about the underage structure in Fermanagh. Why are we failing to produce good underage teams at the county level?
It is fairly obvious that we have a small player pool but that cannot be used as an excuse anymore. Look at the success that St Michael's achieve at in school's football. We have to look at our underage coaching set up. The county board has to invest in good youth coaching that will maximize the limited resources that we have. It is obvious that a lot more work needs to be done with clubs to get better coaches there and within the development squads. Our underage record in the U-18 and U-16 Ulster club competitions is dreadful over the past 15 years. It clearly shows that Fermanagh underage football is light years behind there Ulster counterparts. Our representatives regularly get beat by ten points plus. If this is not addressed Fermanagh football will continue to underachieve. Look at how Tipperary has improved there underage set up. It is a template that Fermanagh must follow.

FermanaghChief (Fermanagh) - Posts: 18 - 01/11/2012 09:09:47    1290923

Link

FermanaghChief well said! It's about time that others stood up and speak their mind too.

I have been more or less a lone voice in highlighting the shortcomings in Fermanagh football and the lack of inspiration from those charged with progressing the game. When the appointment of the new manager was made I question if the appointee was up to the job. Well the answer is in how Fermanagh performed in the championship or should I say not performed? The outcome was disappointing to say the least. In respect of the league promotion, that would have occurred anyway as O'Neill had done the ground work after the dismal failure of O'Rourke's campaign.

I pose the question, should there be an independent group be appointed to take charge of county football that is populated with people who actually played football at a decent level and managers of renowned ability rather than people who glory in power and the limelight?

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 01/11/2012 10:59:36    1290990

Link

Really yesterdays man? This is the same O'Neill who refused to look at players from Coa & B'leck because they were nothing more than "Junior clubs"

Funny enough one of those Coa players was insturmental in getting Fermanagh promoted. O'Neils problem was his bullishness. If he was more accomadating perhaps he would have being more succesful

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 01/11/2012 11:33:56    1291019

Link

FermanaghChief the maguires of fermanagh were once cheifs not any more lad. but since your from that 'maguires' club there is no surprise that we hear again from u about the fermanagh football management. seems as if a raw nerve has been touched with being left on the sidelines again but lets us hope that the younger siblings takes no notice of u his time and is mature enough to continuing supporting canavan. i see yesterdaysman wasn't long getting in on your case and the next will be no doubt macca999 with his opposition to both your arguments.

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 01/11/2012 12:10:24    1291058

Link

I don't care what club Fermanagh Chief is from he makes some very valid points and these need to be answered but probably won't and in a year or two we'll be back in the same position as we were a year or two ago. Fermanagh Co. Board are looking for a short term solution to a long term problem. Only investment seems to be in senior football and now they seem to be raising money to spend on themselves!! I look at the gaels lack of investment in youth when seniors had success and it now has us in Div 2 but thankfully the club has seen the way forward and are putting in a great effort at underage now

gaeelforce15 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 24 - 01/11/2012 21:18:50    1291436

Link

Fermanagh football is going no where without change, and that change can only be brought about by thinking outside the box. Those in charge are too stuck in their ways to deal with Fermanagh's future within the GAA. A possible solution is to embrace the problems Fermanagh face with the recruitment of sufficent talent to make a credible senior county team. I suggest take a lef out of the soccer stup here and run with a Fermanagh & Western for the NFL as a trial and if it works extend it to the championship. I believe Tyrone has too many clubs and hence a large recruitment resource for county football. The benefit for club football woukld be immence and far superior to what we currently have in Fermanagh. I see clubs up and down the country faced with reduced members as emigration take hold and in say in two decades time the impact will be severely felt. Less children...less schools...less clubs...so clubs and counties with have to combine anyway in order to have a future. Let Fermanagh start my proposed setup of the Fermanagh & Western setup in conjunction with Tyrone county board and see what happens.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 761 - 02/11/2012 14:31:28    1291672

Link

Fermanagh chief,you make some decent points particularly those regarding where all finances of the fundraising are going and the state of Fermanaghs underage structure,at least when you make a point or voice an opinion you justify and explain it,I wish another poster would follow your example and provide some evidence for his ridiculous statements,fair play. However you do contradict yourself when you welcome "ten under 21's have been selected to train with the senior panel and later say"its a disgrace that under 21 management where going to prepare without these ten players"

I believe our underage set-up needs to be improved,especially in terms of strength and skill preparation,as we are behind other counties,be gresat if Canavan took the reins but very unlikely,who within the county would be best appointment for the under 21s? Corrigan be ideal but wouldnt take it. Even at minor level our county teams havnt had many psotivie results,surely the county board must see this and realise that investment is key in youth if our county is to enhance its reputation

Fermanagh chief,is there any new faces on this panle that is doing the strength and conditioning programme???(which is long overdue)

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 05/11/2012 19:01:31    1293081

Link

I agree with the previous poster. A couple of decent points are made especially those regarding fundraising finances and where they end up.

The Fermanagh Chief does point about Fermanaghs underage structure as he highlighs a point and then goes on to justify your views. Nevertheless, he does cause confusion he states that 10 under 21s have been selected to train with the senior panle and goes on to say it's a disgrace that U21 management ignoring these named ten players in the U21 training preparation.

The countys' underage set-up, I believe, requires improvement particularly in terms of skill & strength training as we fall short of many counties. In fact it would by gresat if Canavan took responsibility for this however it is highly unlikely. The question is who else within the county would be capbable and best to take under such a role for the U21s?

GalloonBaffoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 05/11/2012 21:32:43    1293193

Link

I hear that only one team has entered the under21 league this year. As there are no other teams they have been asked to go forwad to repersent Fermanagh in Ulster. If this is so what a disgrace for all the clubs in Fermanagh. Its no wounder that the fermanagh senior team is so far behind the rest of the counties in Ulster. But6 on the other side of the coin who wants to train and play football at this time of the year? For a small county all football should have been finished long ago. We play mid week fixtures to help get the football over a reasonable time of the year but clearly its not working. We talk about player burn out yet most club players will only get about eight weeks off football before they start training for 2013.

gola (Fermanagh) - Posts: 305 - 06/11/2012 10:24:40    1293260

Link

I now see why Enniskillen teacher keeps pointing out that macca999 is a multi-user poster. He is now FermanaghChief and he hasn't got enough or the correct respose to his message he comesx on using his main username 'macca999' to generate further debate on his previous posting. Nothing happens for two hours and he comes on as the GalloonBaffoon to agree with what he has said.

Why does he do this? Any other theories

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 06/11/2012 13:30:03    1293353

Link

I actually didnt believe in this multi poster person but this latest trio of posts are a dead give away.

No idea why someone would be bothered with this go down the pub and have a conversation with the barman instead of on here!

Love_Leckers (Fermanagh) - Posts: 342 - 06/11/2012 13:45:34    1293369

Link

Yep sham, macca is well cut out this time. Best he gets on that tandem of his and takes his phantom friends with him and head back to Kerry or some other loser's bus. However, I must admit he has a genuine point to make but because he is always so negative towards the co board that no one takes him serious.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 06/11/2012 14:08:48    1293393

Link

Irvinestown MK,Loveleckers, and abc123,god forbid posters on this page might actually have similiar opinions on issues regarding Fermanagh football....I wonder why myself, Fermanagh Chief and Galloon Baffoon might rise the same points???eh because they are accurate concerns and ideas which genuine supporters are raising and I am certin that other supporters would agree with point outlined...so does that mean they are all coming from a multi-poster too???no Fermanagh Chief and Galloon Baffoon are nothing to do with me as 1,be pointless having discussions with myself(can do that after some poitin on a frday eve) and 2.I wouldnt have the time..

Anyway back to what we should be focussing on here,Fermanagh GAA,i see Malachy Cullen has been appointed under 21 manager,would do people think on this?

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 06/11/2012 15:43:22    1293479

Link