Down Forum

National Hurling League 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Swan apology if it sounded condescending that was not my intention at all but a fact is a fact.

The Christy Ring champions deserve better than the support they received in the ards at the last two county matches, matches that some ards people wrote to news papers and other media outlets about when they went to Newry and to be honest I could see where they were coming from to a point, not now.
Initially it was the cost of the ferry and distance to Newry and now its the £9 admission, for gollys sake Newry is 40 odd miles away not the end of the universe and a better surface than we seen the last two matches in Ballycran. You may not be aware but all clubs in Down pay fees and also contribute to the Down draw (huge money spinner for clubs as well)not just the Ards clubs, they all pay league fees as well. Club football matches in Down attract huge gate numbers especially at championship time.
If you have ever went to Down Senior football matches in McKenna cup, league and championship then you will see where most of the finance in our county comes from. These figures determine the funding that comes from Croke Park, check with your source

I stood in the stand on Sunday and there were more Meath fans beside me than Down supporters and the Down ones who were there were young teens, as I looked across the pitch there were a few heads close to the changing rooms and that was it - no more excuses and I did notice both the County Secretary and Chairman there on Sunday, penny for their thoughts

I will be at the final but will you, cahill and portavogie?

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 26/03/2014 10:58:32    1565157

Link

Tim_Burr i was the one posting updates on this forum form McKenna Park on Sunday - don't appreciate the judgment! I'll be in Navan - would've been nice if it was a double header with the footballers.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 26/03/2014 17:10:59    1565425

Link

tim of course I 'll b there wouldny let my team mates doon.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 27/03/2014 13:48:24    1565737

Link

Great to hear that lads and if the swan goes too thats 4 of us. All we need is a few more heads and it will be more than the total in Ballycrans last sunday all heading to Meath. Two trips in two weeks for me to same pitch hopefully we can bag two wins

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 27/03/2014 15:23:33    1565806

Link

So has Monan figured out is starting 15. I noticed Stephen Dineen hasn't played any part in the last two games. Also is Rian Branagan still part of the squad as he hasn't featured recently?

Ben Toner, Kevin McGarry, Ciaran Coulter, Paul Braniff (still might return for Championship) have all retired form last year's CRC winning team. James Coyle, Gareth "Magic" Johnson, Michael Ennis all injured.

The lads above are a huge loss - Coutler was a dynamo in midfield with Hughes and won a lot of dirty ball. Coyle, Magic and Dule are a huge loss being our 3 best forwards, Ennis was a beast along with along with Ben Toner in defense.

With all the injuries/retirements we have done pretty well thus far! Conway has been a revelation in mid field along with Hughes. McCusker is still around adding experience in the forward line. Sheehan has been very consistent and give 110% every game, the young lads are play fairly well. Baillie, Sands, O'Prey, McGrath, Coleman and Brett Nicholson have all done well and can only get better.

We still have a lot of experienced head on the team including Woods, Turley, Donal Hughes, Conlon, Paddy Hughes, Danny Toner, Scott Nicholson along with Finty, Sheehan and McCusker.

Win promotion and have a solid showing in the CRC and it on and upwards for this team. Monan has installed a toughness in these lads and they want to win. They're young and can only get better.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 27/03/2014 15:37:06    1565816

Link

Tim perhaps you should buy an aul holiday home in Meath? We'll be heading down for the Christy Ring date with Meath in Trim the first Saturday of May. That 3 trips in 5 weeks.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 27/03/2014 15:46:10    1565825

Link

Flip forgot about that match where is the year going, maybe get my uncles caravan in Bettystown which isnt a million miles away from Navan and trim thanks for that lads, maybe stay with me if you want, no wemen though just lad talk

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 27/03/2014 16:20:10    1565854

Link

We should look into putting a bus on for the league campagne next season? Have it start in Strangford and have pick ups in Downpatrick, Castlewellan, Hilltown and then Newry. This would be great craic especially if we get promotion - possible road trips to Tralee, Carlow, Mullingar, Owenbeg, Ballycastle and Tullamore could be some craic! I'll even talk to my buddy O'Leary at Ryanair to see if can charter a plane to Ruslip? We could fly out of Bishopscourt?

In all seriousness I would be willing to organize a bus for Trim as start our CRC defense. If there's any interest I'll post my email.

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 27/03/2014 16:44:42    1565882

Link

Great to see that there are people intending to travel over the next few weeks to support the team. Think it is especially important for the games against Wicklow and Meath. Both of them have large, travelling support who are very vocal. remember Wicklow beat Down in the relegation play off two years ago and from what I remember they had big and noisy support. Well done offering to arrange a bus downhurlingman. Hopefully there will be big numbers at both games. Cannot believe how well the team have done with all the injuries and retirements. I imagine if we had been told a number of months ago that so many stalwarts would be missing we would never have believed we could finish the league unbeaten. Gerard Monan has done a great job.... as the County Secretary said in his annual report "Down man of the Year."

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 27/03/2014 19:26:49    1565978

Link

CoDown I think you should mention macaree and flynn too as theres no doubt those boyos have had a huge influence on that team since they came on board last year

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 28/03/2014 10:29:56    1566091

Link

Indeed they have...no disrespect meant to them...the entire management team have done a great job. Simply meant the lead comes from the top. they are all doing great work and hopefully will continue to do so.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 28/03/2014 11:15:56    1566115

Link

Does Paul Flynn now live in the north? Obviously the former all-star isn't travelling up form Waterford City for all the training sessions and matches. The Ballygunner ace has been a great help to our Hurlers, and he's well respected among the players. I meet him after the CRC final and shook his hand, his son had a Down shirt on, perhaps young Flynn could be a future Down Hurler?

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 28/03/2014 12:16:04    1566146

Link

As far as I hear from the players Paul Flynn does travel from Waterford for all the training sessions and matches. Shows great commitment. I am sure he has been a great help to the forwards now operating without Paul Braniff, James Coyle and Magic. Have never spoken to him but he seems to be very affable and get on well with everyone. Certainly hear him shouting from the sidelines at times!!

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 28/03/2014 13:43:30    1566219

Link

Surely CoDown that cant be right about flynn as thats about 400 miles per training session.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 28/03/2014 15:09:56    1566281

Link

Yep Flynn travels up from Ballygunner very regularly.

Hope he speaks for the lesser counties when he's on the new HDC.

Get the Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard finals etc back to a big hurling Sunday before an AI semi-final or quarter final please Paul.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 31/03/2014 14:15:10    1567763

Link

Good points made there Bricktop and I agree with you totally but Im still taken aback that Flynn travels that mileage two or three times per week, thats some commitment to any team

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 31/03/2014 15:25:42    1567868

Link

Wicklow 0-12 0-9 Down H/T

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 05/04/2014 15:39:45    1570676

Link

Tough loss today in Navan. Considering the players missing from last year this young panel have done very well. Lets give the Ring a lash.

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 05/04/2014 17:36:34    1570722

Link

Indeed a tough loss. League is a real laughing stock. Down win all their matches, including beating Wicklow, had a greater points difference but because of the weird rules have to play a team they have already beaten and not get promoted. Could you imagine the reaction of other sports to this?? I fear the GAA have these rules to get more matches and therefore more money! This young team WHO WON THE LEAGUE must be totally demoralised tonight...management too. hard luck to all...good luck for the Ring campaign.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 05/04/2014 21:34:22    1570835

Link

Disappointing end to a good NHL campaign. Just have to try and win it next year.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 947 - 06/04/2014 09:00:31    1570858

Link