Down Forum

USHC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Does seem a strange decision I agree saulgael. Good man Hinphey in helping motivate the players even more for this match with his take on it, didnt get last week but by all accounts the players looked very jaded so maybe some rest will help.
Looking forward to Celtic Park Saturday then Armagh on Sunday for minor final then the replay - An dún for the treble.
Anyone know when the final is going to be played?

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 03/07/2013 13:58:07    1422729

Link

Good luck Sunday lads. Hope we can regain some the momentum we had during the CRC and get to the final and give the Saffrons a real crack.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 05/07/2013 20:58:50    1424786

Link

Clare & Laois are both playing each other this weekend in both hurling and football qualifiers. Quess what they did? They're playing a doubleheader in Ennis. Unbelievable that the Down vs. Derry fixtures were not staged as a doubleheader. Laois and Clare are in different provinces and they worked it out. This is a total shame. I would love to know who made this decision?

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 06/07/2013 15:52:44    1425035

Link

Good luck tomorrow to all. Hopefully you can get the better of Derry this week. Second half last week was not good so need to be careful. Lads are bound to be feeling the strain of so many matches for both club and county in such a short space of time but have no doubt you can do it. You deserve to get to an Ulster final and have a real crack at Antrim. Would be nice to see lots of support on Sunday. Hopefully some of those who were in Croke will make the effort to get to Armagh. Good luck to all.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 06/07/2013 16:25:38    1425071

Link

With the games coming thick and fast it would have been nice for both the hurlers of Down & Derry to play in front of 8-9000 instead of 200 in Armagh. It very frustrating and just makes me very upset. We need to promote the small ball in the north and we're making progress across the province with evidence of Donegal, Armagh all making progress lately. What a great opportunity for the football fraternity to see the 2013 CRC Champions in action as well as our footballer. Poor planning and bad pr for our great games. Who made this terrible descision?

Good luck to the hurlers tomorrow. Currently the footballers are in trouble as they just got a man sent off.

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 06/07/2013 18:42:40    1425202

Link

So the hurlers are the only ones to provide All Ireland glory this year....despite being always treated as second class citizens. So many Down people did not bother to go to Croke in June....they will regret it now! Hard luck to the players today, no doubt they gave their best...but it was no where near good enough. the hurlers WILL do it tomorrow though.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 06/07/2013 19:32:58    1425246

Link

Well done to the hurlers today. Now for one more final push to win Ulster!!

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 07/07/2013 18:14:57    1425910

Link

Congratulations on the win today against Derry, unfortunately that performance won't count versus Antrim. Hopefully we'll raise our game a few more gears and end the 16 year wait for the Liam Harvey. Up Down.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 07/07/2013 18:19:13    1425918

Link

BIG BIG congratulations to the senior hurlers on their win over Derry yesterday. You deserved the win and learned from last week's result. Onwards and upwards now to the Ulster Final where I know you can give Antrim a hard game and win the Ulster final. Conditions yesterday were very tough...the heat on the pitch must have been unbearable so well done to all...... and to the management for making changes to bring on fresh legs near the end. The hurlers have done the county proud this year and MAYBE now they will get the recognition they deserve. Commiserations to the minors who gave their all but could not quite match last year's exploits. Your day will come again. It was good to see a better turn out of supporters yesterday and hopefully this will be repeated when they take on Antrim...whenever. The football is over....the hurlers march on.....support them please. Well done to all involved yesterday.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 08/07/2013 11:14:50    1426332

Link

Congratulations to Paul Braniff making the Hoganstand team of the week. Great job by a great player.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 08/07/2013 14:14:27    1426574

Link

Thank God for the hurlers yesterday (and this season) and another final to go to as I was in Derry on Sat night and it wasnt good.
Not sure if the Ulster Council are being truthful about agreeing to giving the boys a break either - I heard antrim wanted the final the week after next and Down hierachy refused to play until August, that was the crack yesterday anyway.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 08/07/2013 15:50:46    1426753

Link

Thank God for the hurlers yesterday (and this season) and another final to go to as I was in Derry on Sat night and it wasnt good.

Not sure if the Ulster Council are being accurate about agreeing to giving the boys a break either - I heard antrim wanted the final the week after next and Down hierachy refused to play until August, that was the crack yesterday anyway.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 08/07/2013 15:51:51    1426755

Link

Hope they do get a bit of a break.... they deserve it. Though maybe not too long as they wont want to lose momentum. They must be wrecked after all the county and club games and the long league campaign. Hopefully Down did stand up for their rights. Antrim always seem to think they can call the shots....as if an automatic bye into the final is not enough for them. I am sure some of the lads have holiday plans and they deserve to have a break and perhaps even time to take in the enormity of their Christy Ring win. They certainly are the stars of the county down. great credit to them for all they have achieved this year. Hopefully the footballing brigade on the county board will recognise their worth....eventually!!

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 08/07/2013 16:17:57    1426792

Link

Any date set for the final yet? Probably wouldn't have been a bad Idea playing it this weekend as I'm afraid we'll lose some momentum, however I understand that the lads do need a break - but you can't beat playing games. The final will be Down's 9th championship game this year and no other county team in Ireland will come close to that. Great job by the management and players keeping fit and not picking up injuries. Up Down.

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 10/07/2013 13:47:37    1428222

Link

I think we should have pushed for the game this weekend. The lads are probably on a high plus have some momentum form the Derry replay win. Look at Dublin Hurlers - nearly lost to Wexford and now look unstoppable with there win over Galway being there 5th win in a row. Our lads are going for a 9th win in a row - pretty incredible. Wondering what kind of mindset Antrim are having at this stage and how they are approaching the USHF since they haven't had a competitive match since Laois.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 10/07/2013 16:51:43    1428419

Link

Lads would have been a bad idea to play this weekend for one simple reason - holidays. The final was fixtured for July 7th so everyone including Antrim and Derry were working towards that.

Down have apparently 10+ panellists unavailable along with all three of the management thats why its not being considered this weekend but still no date to best of my knowledge

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 11/07/2013 08:51:58    1428629

Link

I would say if it had of suited they would have pushed for it this weekend. It clearly didn't so its the right call.

the_guvner (Down) - Posts: 318 - 11/07/2013 10:51:04    1428715

Link

Any word on the new date for the final? The information needs to be released quick so that players and supports can plan accordingly.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 13/07/2013 12:50:20    1430322

Link

magic gone to la vagas to make his fortune cant see antrim getting beat and then all can get back to their clubs to get ready for silverware part of season

sliothar (Antrim) - Posts: 339 - 13/07/2013 15:11:43    1430412

Link

Sliotar, have you forgotten they have already won silverware this year and don't have to wait to go back to the clubs to do so. They won a big cup called Christy Ring...did no one tell you that!

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 13/07/2013 19:19:18    1430534

Link