Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thanks for that Stargazer, fair comment.

Goofy this is a forum for people to express their viewson all things related to Carlow GAA, it is not a cheer leading site. I was critical of the team that was picked for sunday's game but as I said in a previous post I am delighted to have been proven wrong. But hang on to your hat for another while as we have nt won anything yet. And yes I will be in Carlow for the London game and lots of other carlow games as well as I have been for the last 20 years. So I'll continue to express my views and I wont make any apologies to you for doing so.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 04/02/2013 12:13:01    1328136

Link

Well done to the team yesterday - good to get a win in first game and hopefully we can build on it with a win over London. Anyone any idea why Kieran nolan got that 2nd yellow card - i thought it was really harsh but the lads really rallied and didnt drop their heads and as Barrowsider said we didnt win these tight matches in previous years. Have to say though that i didnt think the 3 man forward line was working until Brendan Murphy came on. He is such a big player for Carlow - lets hope he can stay injury free! Any word on Daniel St Ledger and his injury?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 04/02/2013 12:26:35    1328146

Link

Goofy,
there's no one not happy with a win! If you're a Carlow football supporter why would you not be happy with the win? Well done to the lads on winning the game and especially down to 14 and losing Daniel St Ledger also. Any word on that injury?
The humble pie comment is a bit off colour though to be honest. It's very difficult to remain positive at times as a Carlow supporter so I think you'd have to forgive misgivings people might have. They'll be there until some consistency is shown over a campaign and you can't complain too much about that. I agree 100% though in terms of not wasting your breath on lads that aren't willing to commit. These lads get better the less they play. Well done to all involved yesterday, drive it on now against London to set up a promotion tilt but you can't concede 16 scores too often and expect to win. Fingers crossed.

Bosco (Carlow) - Posts: 664 - 04/02/2013 12:26:59    1328148

Link

The big question is surely... Where is old burrin-nowins etc. today?

I miss his insightful analysis. Last week he had Joe Canning playing on a 3rd team... No doubt this week it will be that Tipperary are more used to hurling or something.

Anyway, well done to all involved yesterday. It was a huge victory on many levels. It's a pyschological boost which will aid momentum and it makes promotion a realistic target. I guess if we can win the next two home games, we will be in a very strong position. I think we should look to win all games and the only one that looks like a banana skin right now is Limerick away. Offaly will be hard too but our lads can take them on a good day.
It's a tight division for sure but Carlow have what it takes to push on. The bulk of team is young and without staying the obvious they are a year older now and a little more developed and that's worth 10pc.

Ray Walker is a big addition and Derek Hayden has probably found his best position.

However, the backs need to tighten up. As I said before the game that has been our Achilles heel. 0-16 is a lot to concede.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/02/2013 13:45:25    1328252

Link

The big question is surely... Where is old burrin-nowins etc. today?

I miss his insightful analysis. Last week he had Joe Canning playing on a 3rd team... No doubt this week it will be that Tipperary are more used to hurling or something.

Anyway, well done to all involved yesterday. It was a huge victory on many levels. It's a pyschological boost which will aid momentum and it makes promotion a realistic target. I guess if we can win the next two home games, we will be in a very strong position. I think we should look to win all games and the only one that looks like a banana skin right now is Limerick away. Offaly will be hard too but our lads can take them on a good day.
It's a tight division for sure but Carlow have what it takes to push on. The bulk of team is young and without staying the obvious they are a year older now and a little more developed and that's worth 10pc.

Ray Walker is a big addition and Derek Hayden has probably found his best position.

However, the backs need to tighten up. As I said before the game that has been our Achilles heel. 0-16 is a lot to concede.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/02/2013 14:00:09    1328269

Link

Goofy, I see you have 23 posts so welcome on board, in the mean time the prematch diagnosis by negative bloggers that you allude to may not be from true Carlow supporters, the constructive critism came from the genuine Carlow supporters. That said, I would worry about our next game with London as much as I did about our game with Tipp, we don't have a god given right to assume we will win any game irrespective of what new system he is trying, I wouldn't call that being negative, I would say we were being economical with our optimism.
The real positive that came out of that win against Tipp was we beat them in their own back yard, without Brian Murphy and Sean Gannon in the starting fifteen, loosing St. Ledger through injury, and Kevin Nolan being sent off mid way through the second half. I hope St. Ledgers injury is not serious and I wish him a speedy recovery.
The beaten favourites for promotion, as in Tipperary, Clare and Leitrim will come back much stronger from yesterdays defeat, Rainbow's new system has no control over that, so that's another worry, not a negative.
In the mean time I am looking forward to the London game, ------- with caution.

PS. - Humble pie is not on the menu.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 04/02/2013 15:37:36    1328379

Link

Lads blind faith is no use either though. Fair play to players and management but everytime theres a glimpse of a "rainbow" (eh eh..) people come in here and have a go at posters who arent fulsome with praise and enthusiastic about the cause. Its not about support for sake of it, theres nothing wrong with wanting more. Hopefully we will get it. Smeone said that Tipp, Leitrim and Clare are favourites for promotion. I think Offaly will be first team outta Div 4 this year myself.

bouncingball (Carlow) - Posts: 124 - 04/02/2013 18:17:57    1328526

Link

great win after going down to 14 men & losing st ledger. when we were down by 6 points just before half time i thought there was no way back. fair play to the lads for fighting back & the goal came at the right time. carlow seemed to be fitter than tipp & this proved to be true as we were the ones pushing foward at the end with 14 men. however i think most teams in this division are capable of beating each other so lets not get carried away, i wouldnt be surprised to see tipp get promoted lets just hope we join them. looking foward to having brendan & john murphy fit & there must be a place for lawlor. roll on london.

carlo (Carlow) - Posts: 105 - 04/02/2013 18:36:51    1328545

Link

Penny, if Rainbow was in for 3 years and you were giving out fair enough but before his first game I think is bad form from a supporter of Carlow Gaa, i'm around Carlow for a long time too but I try not to dwell on the past and do anything big or small that will get Carlow progressing positive posts builds confidence between supporters and the team. Just get behind them whatever system, team or style they play, if we pull together as a county and support them through thick and thin we might see the benefits. Its 'a game of inches' and as a small county we need all those inches. The same old giving out got us no where.
Super-Brian played the whole game and we have no Kevin Nolan on out teamit Kieran and yes he was sent off harshly. A previous Carlow team might slip up to London but this team has matured over the years and have a good work ethic on and off the field so I think they will come out on top after a battle. I hope they take it game by game. Dreaming of 4 points...

Goofy (Carlow) - Posts: 25 - 04/02/2013 18:38:51    1328547

Link

just looking at the teams and scores, there half back got three points,was he a free taker or is this a result of leaving ray a spare man in the back line?

soccerfan (Carlow) - Posts: 6 - 04/02/2013 19:44:00    1328614

Link

that was the result of having walker in the backs, the number 5 had a free run of the field, that is my concern about this system

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 04/02/2013 20:21:47    1328642

Link

this weekend should be very interesting, clare vs leitrim is a knockout game, it would be very hard to see the loser of that game been promoted, tipp will have to win in fraher to keep their hopes alive while limerick vs offaly should be very interesting, the winner of that game will fancy themselves to go on and top the group. it's shaping up to be the best div4 in years

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 05/02/2013 13:43:20    1328954

Link

Found this from 21/12/'12

fullbach
County: Carlow

.... enough of your negativity before things even get started. ... you say 17 at one training session. Allow for the large number of college-tied players, several players injured and that number increases significently. All players have indiv fitness programmes so all in all they are putting in 6 days a week. Speaking to some of the players they are very happy the way things are going and are Impressed by rainbows attitude and committment. All things geared towards the 1st league game in feb. Dont be expecting any big performance yet as they are in mid of heavy training and the legs wouldnt be moving too well yet.

It seems fullbach was right in december, and reading todays nationalist the players say the same thing - since they started training everything has been geared towards that 1st game vs Tipp. I thought the fitness levels were superb on Sunday. Tipp were faltering in last 10 mins and we were getting stronger. Some of the long-range points scored were a new feature for Carlow. Victory well-deserved. Hopefully we can push on from here and competition for places from the subs and those out injured can only be a good thing for 2013.

Those who werent even part of Sunday's panel thru injury or otherwise: Gannon, Lambe, Mark Brennan Cashin, Lawler was only a sub and all of these players will now have an uphill battle to reclaim places on the starting 15 - who were all superb on Sunday.

Roll on London game and well done to all involved. Ceatharlach Abu

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 05/02/2013 14:08:56    1328983

Link

How is St. Ledger does anyone know, I hope his injury is not seerious.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 05/02/2013 14:47:17    1329014

Link

^ Having an MRI scan on knee done early next week. Won't know until then.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 05/02/2013 18:25:03    1329213

Link

yeah would like to join in sending good wishes to Daniel, hope he is back soon. Think news isnt as bad as feared .

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 06/02/2013 11:29:21    1329434

Link

Something to read over for you lads.....

Barrowsider

09/01/2013
it was a poor showing on sunday,our midfield was wiped out several players seem to be completely unfit can't see that improving much between now and the tipp game

Barrowsider

4/02/2013
that was a nice win yesterday, we moved the ball very well at times, got some nice scores and probably should have won by more, i would say our fitness looks a lot better than this time last year

pennypincher

11/09/2012
Barrowsider dont know where you got the idea that current selectors are doing a good job. In my opinion they need to go asap.

supersub15
13/01/2013

The prediction I make is, not alone will we fail to get out of div.4, but if we win anymore than one game out of seven it will be nothing short of miraculous, and it pains me to say that, I'll hang in there for our game against Tipp. and then have a final look.
PS. We claim to be a football county if that's the case, then when are we going to show signs of improvement

pennypincher
15/01/2013

Players who have already shown that they are not up to interco. still being persisted with, players being played out of position, forwards with no pace, One plan only: lump it up and try to win frees. Its far to easy to defend against when you have pacy backs like we saw last week. I hope like you that Anthony can turn it around if and when e gets his full squad fit, but thats all it is hope.

carlowforsam (Carlow) - Posts: 50 - 06/02/2013 12:11:08    1329453

Link

To be fair, Pennypincher and Barrowsider attend a lot of games. So, I can understand their frustration.
Everyone in Carlow who cares passionately about football has been waiting a long time for the breakthrough that we have been waiting for a long time. Players have gotten disillusioned in the past, so of course supporters who spend their hard-earned money travelling around Ireland following the team can get down in the dumps too.
In my honest opinion, we turned a corner when we beat Louth and last year the team seemed to be plain unlucky in a lot of the league games. Maybe Dempsey had gone stale as they seemed to underperform in the last two championship games.
Now, under Rainbow we have turned a genuine corner. The lads did what they needed to do for years, get a good start in the League and take out a top team. Lets hope they can push on now and get promoted. That would be more than turning a corner, that would be turning a really tight chicane at full speed.
Ps. Where is that saddo and Laois court jester Old Burrin this week?

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/02/2013 12:49:34    1329471

Link

To be fair, Pennypincher and Barrowsider attend a lot of games. So, I can understand their frustration.
Everyone in Carlow who cares passionately about football has been waiting a long time for the breakthrough that we have been waiting for a long time. Players have gotten disillusioned in the past, so of course supporters who spend their hard-earned money travelling around Ireland following the team can get down in the dumps too.
In my honest opinion, we turned a corner when we beat Louth and last year the team seemed to be plain unlucky in a lot of the league games. Maybe Dempsey had gone stale as they seemed to underperform in the last two championship games.
Now, under Rainbow we have turned a genuine corner. The lads did what they needed to do for years, get a good start in the League and take out a top team. Lets hope they can push on now and get promoted. That would be more than turning a corner, that would be turning a really tight chicane at full speed.
Ps. Where is that saddo and Laois court jester Old Burrin this week?

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 06/02/2013 12:49:59    1329472

Link

Carlow for Sam - just to keep some balance!

Barrowsider

im not sure supersub, it's like last year, we have to win those tight games, im hoping we will have learned from the mistakes made in them games, if we select the team like last year we are going to finish 2nd from bottom, the first game away to tipp will be crucial, win that and the path to promotion looks very good. lose and it narrows lose heavily and you can write it off until 2014
Barrowsider

to be honest supersub, if we don't play positive football we won't get out of the division, we were far to negative under dempsey, murphy will be back in march so that means he just misses two games, if rainbow can sort out our problem positions we have a good chance of getting promoted, we have a few problem positions like center back and midfield that needed to be sorted

pennypincher

Have to first of all say I was totally wrong in my assessment of this team. But im delighted that they have proven me wrong. Lets hope we can keep focused now and drive on for the rest of the year. Believe R. Walker was brilliant but we know his enormous potential anyway.I wasnt at game so dont know the details except that we were 5 points down at one stage of first half so great comeback and well done to all.

I think its unfair to start picking out posters comments that were obviously said after witnessing the O'Byrne Cup games last month. If you had been at them yourself you could only have feared the worst for the upcoming league. We have won one game (which we have done before and more in the league) and still ended up nowhere so its wise not to get ahead of ourselves we have a long way to go yet. But if we continue to play as we did for the last 40 mins or so like we did in Tipp then we are in with a shout.

As it has be said before this is a discussion forum about Carlow GAA and as long as people keep it about that and dont get personal they are entitiled to their opinion. You will have to forgive us long suffering Carlow Supporters who for years have followed and willed Carlow to do well - its going to take more than one win v Tipp to convince us. Roll on London!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 06/02/2013 12:54:02    1329477

Link