Carlow Forum

New Chairman

(Oldest Posts First)

Will the new incoming elected officers at the Carlow county convention, one of them being a new Chairman, have any positives to offer to Carlow gaa.?
My own view is change is good.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 11/12/2015 20:25:33    1812709

Link

I d like to wish them well too. I thought michael meaney did a good job as chairman. I had a few battles with him but found him willing to listen and supportive of our schools games/system. I liked the Facebook message from rhe carlow gaa page. It reminds us that we can be part of change if we want or stand to the side and give out. Most clubs find it v difficult to fill committee positions, have to have egms etc. Same often goes for getting mentors for teams. I see it in both of my own clubs. So if people dont get involved with their clubs there has to be a knock on in filling county board positions. Nearly all clubs are crying out for volunteers to run them. It nearly is akin to a business now with the money involved let alone what happens on the pitch.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2624 - 12/12/2015 15:24:08    1812751

Link

I thought the forum was good, there was a huge amount of work put into it and the little pamphlet produced was very focused. I understand that 12 or 14 of the recommendations have already been implemented with a few ongoing and maybe two or three not practical when they actually tried to implement them. The board never get any credit though no matter what they do.
The article on their website was good, it had a few negative commentators on Facebook, well known knockers though.

Seany00 (Carlow) - Posts: 27 - 13/12/2015 21:09:01    1812864

Link

Best wishes to Sean Campion and Cormac O'Toole in their new positions of Chairman and Treasurer. Both have big boots to fill with Mick Byrne having spent hours and hours at the job and engendering a loyalty seldom seen from the stewards who do a thankless job each week in Netwatch Cullen Park. It will be a big task to even come near Mick's commitment .
Sean Campion also has big shoes to fill as Michael Meaney did a superb job in accessing monies badly needed to offset the expenses incurred in Fenagh especially and most recently with the floodlights in Netwatch Culen Park.

Very few put their names forward for the jobs and lets be honest they are almost full time jobs. It will also be interesting to see how successful they are in getting the clubs to back their initiatives. Best f luck to both of the new men.

Thanks also to Mick Byrne and Michael Meaney for putting in enormous hours and keeping the show on the road so well.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1510 - 13/12/2015 21:27:09    1812865

Link

Of course I meant to wish the new committee all the best, that's what this thread is about
Yeah I think Sean Campion will be good, change is good, new ideas etc.

Seany00 (Carlow) - Posts: 27 - 14/12/2015 15:59:35    1812922

Link

Congrats to our new Chairman Sean Campion and to the full officer board and hope we will have some change going forward for the good of Carlow GAA in 2016

moojo100 (Carlow) - Posts: 4 - 16/12/2015 21:15:35    1813224

Link

I would like to wish all posters here on the Carlow forum a happy healthy and safe Christmas.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 19/12/2015 15:06:50    1813590

Link

Same to you and yours.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2624 - 19/12/2015 18:06:00    1813604

Link

Best of luck to the new set-up. Hopefully bring a new sense of purpose to the admin of games here.

To go back slightly (I haven't had time to comment), I thought that statement was an embarrassment to carlow GAA. If it was the private comment on social media, fair enough. But to have that released through the official Carlow website was incredibly unprofessional. The language used, the tone, and the outright attack on match-going supporters. Whomever wrote it (the irony of an anonymous statement attacking anonymous forum posters isn't lost here), would do well to remember the old phrase "you catch more flies with honey...".

Sgt.Pepper (Carlow) - Posts: 78 - 20/12/2015 20:43:27    1813711

Link

I think most people would have a v good idea who wrote it. Its not a big pool of people who have access to it. I dont think it was a county board measage but maybe an individual's one. I could be wrong.
I do agree that more people can affect change if they want. At the same time, I dunno do I want to be a part of modern gaa! I m a man in complete turmoil about it! I m actually saddened to see where its gone as an organization. I think we are strangling it, turning off more lads than ever. And you know what? I can't really blame them. Bah humbug I know! I enjoyed my junior last year. A lot of games, a little training, and a life.
Back to the message thing. Well people will be critical once money is involved. If you are a regular match goer, a club member, a ticket buyer etc well you are spending 500-600 per year on the gaa. Excluding the traveling expenses etc. So people who are supportive will tend at times to question things. Its one weeks wage a year after all. I cant see the point in saying it trying to get back at a few anonymous comments on a forum.etc. most of which were harmless. Maybe an over reaction.

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2624 - 21/12/2015 20:23:38    1813833

Link

The top 1/3 of the counties (the elite) train professionally, play professionally, and are looked after professionally, as a result they can approach each year with confidence, they have a reasonable chance of national honours, of winning a provincial title, of getting an all star award, they get regular tv and radio exposure, regular media interviews etc, no shortage of top sponsorships along with fringe benefits.

The next 1/3 of counties, have little or no chance of national honours they may threaten but that's as far as it goes, they can put in a realistic challenge for provincial honours and divisional promotion in the nfl full stop, they may get the odd all star, and the odd nomination, a bit of tv and some radio exposure.

The final 1/3 realistically have no chance of national honours, very, very little chance of provincial honours, so the only honour left for counties in div.4 is getting promoted to div.3 and theres no chance at all of an all star or an nomination for that exercise, no tv exposure, no national radio exposure, albeit local radio only, and certainly no fringe benefits.

So you can see it's very easily to become disheartened and lose interest, to steal a line from the above post, I don't know if I want to be part of a modern gaa either, I too am in turmoil about it, and yes, saddened too to see where it's gone as an organization.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 07/01/2016 11:44:21    1815053

Link