Westmeath Forum

Coláiste Mhuire Leinster Juvenile A champions

(Oldest Posts First)

Massive achievement yesterday for the Mullingar school, first since early 90's I think. Has to be a good sign for football in the area and a positive for the county overall.
Very poor coverage of the game online as far as I can see, at least Midlands Radio 3 were tweeting about it but nothing from the school, Westmeath GAA or Leinster GAA but that's a subject worthy of a separate discussion. I am sure the local papers will have it next week. I understand one of the Roscommon Murtaghs is teaching there and is involved with the team.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 713 - 17/12/2015 13:43:58    1813329

Link

A fine win for sure. No surprise to see them achieving, with the clubs in and around Mullingar having such strong underage setups now. Didn't see any of their games, but am familiar with many of their players and there are some fine prospects there.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 271 - 17/12/2015 14:26:56    1813341

Link

Unreal Result. Was down there as a parent and the team played superb. Disappointing thing was that apart from a few parents there was much support. Although it was nice to see the minor manager there even though he must be fairly ambitious that he gonna be kept on for a few years if he thinks he will be waiting for these guys. The team showed great composure and skill and the county has a lot to look forward too if we can keep these young lads interested in Football. We should have a very strong under 16 team this year at county level and wonder was the 16s manager there but in fairness he could have been because I don't think its Ian Bradley anymore think he gone in with Leahy at Minor.
Very proud of these young men and I think more should be made of this victory.

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 17/12/2015 15:10:50    1813351

Link

Fair play to Leahy for being there. Bradley is with him for the minors but is also running an U17 development squad which is a new departure. I understand a Tumelty chap from Tang is doing the U16's who has been involved previously. I think juvenile is U14 and a half so I'd imagine alot of those lads will be U15 in 2016. Don't know the exact break up but I assume The Downs, Shamrocks and Lomans are well represented along with Delvin, Multy, Shandonagh, Milltown, Ballynacargy ? Would there be some Kinnegad and Killucan lads too ? You'd hope there would be good spread for the county's sake. If anyone knows ye might post it here.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 713 - 17/12/2015 19:50:43    1813397

Link

yes is under 14 1/2 great achivement, would not know all players but seems to be a strong u 14 group. not only very skillful but big lads as well, which helps at this age level.hopefully we can keep them together and they can progress well as a team to junior and senior in the schools competition, hopefully will not loss any to other sports.

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 18/12/2015 09:03:48    1813409

Link

Good few clubs represented alright. Think The Downs have the most. Two midfielders, from Shamrocks and Lomans, are fine footballers. Shandonagh, Multy, Killucan, Millmore Gaels, maybe more, all represented. Good to see.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 272 - 18/12/2015 13:45:01    1813473

Link