Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Dheen:  "Offaly should have been down to 14 in the first half yet we were reduced to 13. Shambolic refereeing."
I know the tackle your thinking of for them to be down to 14. Ref was right I thought there was no malicious intent in the tackle just mistimed and deserved a yellow is all.
If it was the Westmeath man who put in the tackle you'd be saying it was only a yellow card offence.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 20/12/2020 14:14:20    2324569

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Exactly how can ya blame the referee for losing by 13 points. Maloneys red card was well deserved swung out at the Offaly player after the ball was gone so their can't be complaints with the Ref over that one.
Westmeath only had one red card Offaly got one at the same time as maloney and the Offaly man hadn't done much to deserve one. The red card came at the end of the game so wouldn't of made any difference.

Westmeath were bet Fair and square today by the better team & credit is due to the Westmeath players for a good year compared to man years had Gone by."
Sorry they did have 2 reds wouldn't of made any difference anyways , lack of discipline from the players.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 20/12/2020 14:52:58    2324589

Link

Anyways, decent year given the circumstances. A couple of players capable of going on to the senior team within the next couple of years. Very impressed with Sean Leech, Mark Cunningham and Eamonn Cunneen in the 3 games in particular. We have a good minor team next year as well.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 138 - 21/12/2020 10:48:30    2325006

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Anyways, decent year given the circumstances. A couple of players capable of going on to the senior team within the next couple of years. Very impressed with Sean Leech, Mark Cunningham and Eamonn Cunneen in the 3 games in particular. We have a good minor team next year as well."
Agreed. If you could get more hurling into McCormack I think he would have huge potential.
Turin will be happy to have Leech on board next year. He will give them a huge boost.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 135 - 21/12/2020 11:50:07    2325030

Link

Looks like our neighbours in Offaly are getting their act togethe. They are very much a tier 2-3 county in both codes at adult level after unprecedented success in the 80s and 90s. They have both minor teams in provincial finals for the first time since 1989 and while they may be underdogs in both finals it's a great achievement. They are the standard we should be aiming to reach with similar populations and trying to serve both codes. Their minors were very impressive yesterday, Lochlann Quinn especially.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 152 - 21/12/2020 14:57:32    2325094

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Looks like our neighbours in Offaly are getting their act togethe. They are very much a tier 2-3 county in both codes at adult level after unprecedented success in the 80s and 90s. They have both minor teams in provincial finals for the first time since 1989 and while they may be underdogs in both finals it's a great achievement. They are the standard we should be aiming to reach with similar populations and trying to serve both codes. Their minors were very impressive yesterday, Lochlann Quinn especially."
They have a full time S&C coach for the last 5 years, slowly training and upskilling all their coaches and doing good work in changing the culture in the county
They have a good training centre too.

Its great to see intermediate clubs providing numerous players to a county minor team

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 21/12/2020 15:10:56    2325097

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Looks like our neighbours in Offaly are getting their act togethe. They are very much a tier 2-3 county in both codes at adult level after unprecedented success in the 80s and 90s. They have both minor teams in provincial finals for the first time since 1989 and while they may be underdogs in both finals it's a great achievement. They are the standard we should be aiming to reach with similar populations and trying to serve both codes. Their minors were very impressive yesterday, Lochlann Quinn especially."
For example in football a 13/14/15 we were beating Offaly easily at this age. Huge work and support has gone into that group over the last 3yrs and they rep the rewards now. The management team are with them all the way up and scoured the county for players ,attending games and scouting ,having them in the Faithful fields for S&C and Nutrition talks etc .Difference down there is right men put in place as a management team and they were supported. Our hurling management deserve huge credit for what they did in 3 months ,a quote from a prominent Offaly Gael last night "together 3 years and no stone was left unturned to improve them, management attended games all over the county "
I'm not going to write anymore because its worn out at this stage ,we are only ticking boxes here in Westmeath

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 21/12/2020 15:29:14    2325107

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "For example in football a 13/14/15 we were beating Offaly easily at this age. Huge work and support has gone into that group over the last 3yrs and they rep the rewards now. The management team are with them all the way up and scoured the county for players ,attending games and scouting ,having them in the Faithful fields for S&C and Nutrition talks etc .Difference down there is right men put in place as a management team and they were supported. Our hurling management deserve huge credit for what they did in 3 months ,a quote from a prominent Offaly Gael last night "together 3 years and no stone was left unturned to improve them, management attended games all over the county "
I'm not going to write anymore because its worn out at this stage ,we are only ticking boxes here in Westmeath"
What the management did in 3 months with the minors has to be applauded. The same management should be over the minors for this coming year, with extra months of training and preparation and a talented group of players , they could do even better.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 138 - 22/12/2020 10:10:23    2325331

Link

Any early news about the panel ahead of the league? I know collective training has seized for the time being

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 138 - 11/01/2021 15:09:11    2326996

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Any early news about the panel ahead of the league? I know collective training has seized for the time being"
Lots of rumours but nothing definite. Its a very difficult time for everyone especially inter County players.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 860 - 12/01/2021 19:54:43    2327169

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Lots of rumours but nothing definite. Its a very difficult time for everyone especially inter County players."
Anything interesting? Hopefully the league can commence at the end of February like planned but I wouldn't hold my breath. It could be pushed back to give teams a chance to train and prepare.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 138 - 14/01/2021 14:44:15    2327402

Link