Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Eoiny price and Brendan murtagh announced their retirement from inter county hurling this morning.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 29/11/2020 13:24:19    2316456

Link

Good win even it was dead rubber. I was happy with the starting team, giving lads a start that didn't get one all year. However, I was disappointed with the substitutions, Shane Williams should've been left on for longer, he was trying hard and was against 2 Carlow men most times the (poor) ball went in. Maybe putting on Loughlin might coax him to commit, hard to know. I don't agree with bringing on Murtagh, Price & McNicholas when a win wasn't vital. Surely there was 3 other subs that could've come on, has anyone got a list of subs. Is Varley injured, where was Allan Devine, has Shane O'Brien bridges to mend if he stays on?

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 29/11/2020 13:33:14    2316463

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "Good win even it was dead rubber. I was happy with the starting team, giving lads a start that didn't get one all year. However, I was disappointed with the substitutions, Shane Williams should've been left on for longer, he was trying hard and was against 2 Carlow men most times the (poor) ball went in. Maybe putting on Loughlin might coax him to commit, hard to know. I don't agree with bringing on Murtagh, Price & McNicholas when a win wasn't vital. Surely there was 3 other subs that could've come on, has anyone got a list of subs. Is Varley injured, where was Allan Devine, has Shane O'Brien bridges to mend if he stays on?"
I definitely think he has plenty of bridges to mend with players if he is to stay on

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 29/11/2020 14:12:28    2316477

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "Good win even it was dead rubber. I was happy with the starting team, giving lads a start that didn't get one all year. However, I was disappointed with the substitutions, Shane Williams should've been left on for longer, he was trying hard and was against 2 Carlow men most times the (poor) ball went in. Maybe putting on Loughlin might coax him to commit, hard to know. I don't agree with bringing on Murtagh, Price & McNicholas when a win wasn't vital. Surely there was 3 other subs that could've come on, has anyone got a list of subs. Is Varley injured, where was Allan Devine, has Shane O'Brien bridges to mend if he stays on?"
Giving out about bringing on price , murtagh and McNicholas who are 30+ which is fair enough yet your asking where Allan Devine is and he's 32 himself !! And wouldn't be saying he's better than murtagh , price , or McNicholas

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 29/11/2020 14:51:47    2316493

Link

Ahearn, Bermingham, Coll, Regan and Scally - Gillen (goalie sub I presume) were the unused subs yesterday

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 29/11/2020 15:23:49    2316505

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Giving out about bringing on price , murtagh and McNicholas who are 30+ which is fair enough yet your asking where Allan Devine is and he's 32 himself !! And wouldn't be saying he's better than murtagh , price , or McNicholas"
Didn't realise Devine was 32, thought he was lively when brought on against Antrim and Kerry. Was he on the panel yesterday is my question?

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 29/11/2020 15:40:43    2316509

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Excellent display lots of character Cormac and Joey Boyle Aaron Craig, Dara Egerton, Skelly and Conor Shaw all very good. Spirit of team very good bodes well when you consider those missing the Doyles, Niall O Brien, Shane Clavin, Adam Ennis, Varley, Gilligan."
Agree with this, decent performance... Would question how interested Carlow were but was still encouraging

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 132 - 29/11/2020 15:54:44    2316514

Link

In a match we were totally in charge of dont you think those three deserved a few minutes in their last game after years of service to Westmeath.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 837 - 29/11/2020 19:48:25    2316626

Link

In a match we were totally in charge of dont you think those three deserved a few minutes in their last game after years of service to Westmeath.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 837 - 29/11/2020 19:49:30    2316627

Link

Replying To jobber:  "In a match we were totally in charge of dont you think those three deserved a few minutes in their last game after years of service to Westmeath."
That's fair enough,didn't know the 3 of them were retiring when I posted.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 30/11/2020 09:03:56    2316755

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "That's fair enough,didn't know the 3 of them were retiring when I posted."
Is McNicholas retiring as well?

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 30/11/2020 09:55:41    2316773

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Is McNicholas retiring as well?"
Jobber said the three of them so I'm only going on my learned friends comment, I didn't hear McNicholas was retiring apart from that.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 30/11/2020 10:55:24    2316800

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "Jobber said the three of them so I'm only going on my learned friends comment, I didn't hear McNicholas was retiring apart from that."
I dont have the sources our Gayles friend has but I was told the three were hanging up their boots but I could be wrong. Anyway I stand over that the three have been great servants to Westmeath Hurling.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 837 - 30/11/2020 14:09:56    2316936

Link

Maybe Derek is just bowing out quietly like people used to

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 214 - 01/12/2020 07:15:58    2317221

Link

Replying To Dote:  "Maybe Derek is just bowing out quietly like people used to"
Congrats on the McDonough success and best wishes going forward. The success has been coming over the years, the work is being done. Good luck in the efforts to push on from here.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 57 - 01/12/2020 14:01:30    2317311

Link

Minor hurling set to go ahead on 12 December
I hope for the young lads' sakes that some training was being done.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1778 - 02/12/2020 08:08:21    2317558

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Minor hurling set to go ahead on 12 December
I hope for the young lads' sakes that some training was being done."
It's on the 13th of December. From what I know they were doing a lot of good work before the lockdown came in and even during it they were training hard albeit individually or in small groups. They were only back as unit yesterday when the lockdown lifted.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 02/12/2020 10:46:14    2317602

Link