Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

what players have left the panel

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1288 - 11/01/2021 11:39:23    2326963

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "what players have left the panel"
I've heard that luke loughlin Is swaying more towards picking the hurlers over the footballers. Don't know how true this is but I'd well believe it & would understand why he would pick the hurlers.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 11/01/2021 15:54:51    2327004

Link

Why would he pick the hurlers over the footballers?

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 162 - 11/01/2021 22:47:42    2327056

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Why would he pick the hurlers over the footballers?"
Looking at it realistically, the hurlers had a poor year this year compared to the previous two years. They have more chance in winning the joe mcdonagh cup then the footballers have of winning anything & at the end of the day as a player you want to win something

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 12/01/2021 10:13:47    2327073

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Why would he pick the hurlers over the footballers?"
Honestly, I'm grateful players would chose either. There is very little in it for them, and for the vast majority it is much more enjoyable to just play club.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 276 - 12/01/2021 12:54:33    2327103

Link

Replying To Andy_Capp:  "Honestly, I'm grateful players would chose either. There is very little in it for them, and for the vast majority it is much more enjoyable to just play club."
I would agree with you. But for someone like luke there would be severe pressure put on him by both football & hurling managers obviously because they know of his quality and want him on their team.
As you said the majority of players in both setups would probably say they would prefer to play for their club

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 12/01/2021 14:10:35    2327121

Link

Realistically he's a far better footballer than hurler. As a footballer he has lots of potential, hurling wise unless he concentrates solely on the small ball he's going to struggle at inter county level.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 162 - 12/01/2021 14:22:27    2327125

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Realistically he's a far better footballer than hurler. As a footballer he has lots of potential, hurling wise unless he concentrates solely on the small ball he's going to struggle at inter county level."
Yeah I agree he's a far better footballer than hurler , but after giving 4/5+ years to the footballers and winning nothing you can't blame him for wanting a change of scenery can ya ? He might struggle at top inter county level if they were to win the joe mcdonagh but at joe mcdonagh cup level he would be well cut out for it & if he was to train with them for the year & concentrates on county hurling He wouldn't look out of place.
He played with the hurlers after the footballers exit last year and I couldn't imagine he would of done that unless he was actually interested in playing with the hurlers... the county hurlers play their (best) team and play an attacking game. The football mgmt team pick players like David Lynch etc.. to play a defensive style game so why would you be interested when your only playing 3 actual forwards especially when your playing against teams of a similar quality, it would be hard to enjoy it as a forward when your being double marked due to the way your team setS up .

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 12/01/2021 16:46:44    2327154

Link