Galway Forum

Improvement Ideas Post Lockdown ?

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve an aspect of Club/County scene in Galway ?

If any practical, positive suggestions come out of this I'm happy to ask our club executive to bring it up at County Board level...maybe others could do the same ?

Maybe there are some more informal ideas out there...that we could share between clubs ?....different ideas to trial on Adult 7s/9s or Juvenile Competitions etc ?... versions of indoor Football ? ... merchandise opportunities/ ideas ?...
Football promotion ideas ? Etc, etc

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 24/01/2021 12:12:37    2328725

Link

Replying To Black+Blue:  "Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve an aspect of Club/County scene in Galway ?

If any practical, positive suggestions come out of this I'm happy to ask our club executive to bring it up at County Board level...maybe others could do the same ?

Maybe there are some more informal ideas out there...that we could share between clubs ?....different ideas to trial on Adult 7s/9s or Juvenile Competitions etc ?... versions of indoor Football ? ... merchandise opportunities/ ideas ?...
Football promotion ideas ? Etc, etc"
Perhaps a refresher course for some referees. Some cowboy decisions going on at a high club level.

MairtinTomSean (Galway) - Posts: 47 - 25/01/2021 10:42:15    2328860

Link

Replying To MairtinTomSean:  "Perhaps a refresher course for some referees. Some cowboy decisions going on at a high club level."
- A few ideas
County board to organise Webinars for clubs around Stats, S & C, Coaching.
Utilise the back room team from both hurling and football senior teams to do talks around Nutrition etc
Improve engagement from the county management teams with the clubs in both codes
County board to engage with club players, ask for feedback, do surveys, etc
Dismantle the galway website and set it up properly and simply. It is horrendous from a UX
There probably is loads going on at County Board/ Senior management level but there is such poor communication out.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 25/01/2021 12:07:46    2328873

Link

Replying To MairtinTomSean:  "Perhaps a refresher course for some referees. Some cowboy decisions going on at a high club level."
Agreed salthill spiddal mix you jumps to mind where was the linesmen input? Continue the great club coverage provided on line even when restrictions lift. Push for more senior club refs- seems to be the same guys officiating club games and even though it'll be argued refs are human and sometimes take a dislike/ like to teams For whatever reasons

Sportsfanatic90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 25/01/2021 12:08:03    2328875

Link

Fair play galwaygoal, some good ideas there...definitely room for improvement in communication, PR, information sharing etc...would get a lot more people onside with County aswell and would be engaging for youngsters too...new website badly needed along with some promotion like free posters etc for all National school kids ...

Regarding referees lads, I know from my own club it's next to impossible to get anyone to volunteer to take the course and who could really blame people....as an association we don't make it particularly attractive to become a ref and certainly don't support or respect them enough.... one of our best referees was struck from the blindside by father of a County player after a championship match last year and there wasn't any attention brought to it...he had to be attended to by medical team but of course no one saw what happened.....would you volunteer to referee yourself ??

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 25/01/2021 12:39:53    2328883

Link

A couple of things.
1. More marketing around County Games and I don't mean big money, maybe free taking at half time and kid wins a Jersey.
2. Engage better with National Schools on County Games, get into the schools and clubs, ensure that kids are going to games.
3. Mini Championships for Underage, Tuam, City, Connemara, get County players involved as refs etc, call them after current players, Shane Walsh Cup etc.
4. Organise either a house draw or car draw before this novelty wears off, buy a ticket and guaranteed winner, loads of new housing estates being built and car dealerships in the county.
5. Fundraise immediately to develop 1 pitch in the county with match lights and capacity to host a National League game, not huge money and could be linked to the above point.
6. Engage better with Galway business people in UK/US with a view to clearing legacy debt, without sorting this out soon we are going nowhere.
7. Organise other events to raise funds more regularly, breakfast mornings on match days, match day trips including accommodation.
8. Engage better with all multinationals based in Galway, we haven't tapped into this at all and many members are employees. Get them to sponsor a player for the year etc.
9. Do more for charity/community before the end of lockdown, PR, meals, support, press about front line staff who play for Galway.
10. The streaming service was excellent, can it be developed further, ads during half time, promote it abroad, messages to family or clubs from supporters at half time.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 470 - 27/01/2021 09:47:33    2329113

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "A couple of things.
1. More marketing around County Games and I don't mean big money, maybe free taking at half time and kid wins a Jersey.
2. Engage better with National Schools on County Games, get into the schools and clubs, ensure that kids are going to games.
3. Mini Championships for Underage, Tuam, City, Connemara, get County players involved as refs etc, call them after current players, Shane Walsh Cup etc.
4. Organise either a house draw or car draw before this novelty wears off, buy a ticket and guaranteed winner, loads of new housing estates being built and car dealerships in the county.
5. Fundraise immediately to develop 1 pitch in the county with match lights and capacity to host a National League game, not huge money and could be linked to the above point.
6. Engage better with Galway business people in UK/US with a view to clearing legacy debt, without sorting this out soon we are going nowhere.
7. Organise other events to raise funds more regularly, breakfast mornings on match days, match day trips including accommodation.
8. Engage better with all multinationals based in Galway, we haven't tapped into this at all and many members are employees. Get them to sponsor a player for the year etc.
9. Do more for charity/community before the end of lockdown, PR, meals, support, press about front line staff who play for Galway.
10. The streaming service was excellent, can it be developed further, ads during half time, promote it abroad, messages to family or clubs from supporters at half time."
Fair play johnterry some good points in there....

maybe we could all work towards drawing up a list of 10 or more positive suggestions that as many as possible here could pass on to club executive members ( and in turn club delegates to bring to County Board meetings ? ) If a few different clubs brought the same ideas forward they might get a bit of traction ?

Some could be very inexpensive and easy to implement and some will obviously be longer term.

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 27/01/2021 14:55:24    2329168

Link

10. The streaming service was excellent, can it be developed further, ads during half time, promote it abroad, messages to family or clubs from supporters at half time."
Some really good points there JohnT. I would add in more use of the Irish language. Especially with the success nationwide of TG4. This station has done more for Gaelic games over the last 20 years imho. And is doing a good job now with Connacht rugby. Time for Gaillimh to start using TG4 to their advantage. Ceapaim go bhfuil sé am an TnaG a bhaint an CLG amach.
I would also ask for better signage for GAA stadia especially Pearse stadium. It is a nice stadium, built in the 1950's. And should be better sign posted by the City council. Also a short history of the stadium should be on a plaque near the entrance.
Also name one of the stands after a Galway GAA victory, say the 2017 stand, after the hurlers win.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2011 - 16/02/2021 11:20:44    2331530

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Some really good points there JohnT. I would add in more use of the Irish language. Especially with the success nationwide of TG4. This station has done more for Gaelic games over the last 20 years imho. And is doing a good job now with Connacht rugby. Time for Gaillimh to start using TG4 to their advantage. Ceapaim go bhfuil sé am an TnaG a bhaint an CLG amach.
I would also ask for better signage for GAA stadia especially Pearse stadium. It is a nice stadium, built in the 1950's. And should be better sign posted by the City council. Also a short history of the stadium should be on a plaque near the entrance.
Also name one of the stands after a Galway GAA victory, say the 2017 stand, after the hurlers win."
You must be joking? Naming a stand after the hurlers win in 2017? And most of the players still playing. Lord above I hope you're messing. Fair enough the plaque but to call a stand after such a recent victory would be laughable.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 16/02/2021 21:56:36    2331622

Link

Replying To GalwaysFinest:  "You must be joking? Naming a stand after the hurlers win in 2017? And most of the players still playing. Lord above I hope you're messing. Fair enough the plaque but to call a stand after such a recent victory would be laughable."
My logic is it might encourage them to win it again.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2011 - 17/02/2021 10:12:49    2331662

Link

Good points.
Our youth engagement could be pushed massively with the primary and secondary schools, and juvenile club level. When the kids want to go to Galway matches, parents, guardians, family and friends might too.
Galway Senior teams to do the odd visit for training sessions and family meet and greet at some of our club grounds. Select 5 clubs out of a hat. Along those lines. Not hard to organise and gets more buy in.
Tapping into the multinationals in Galway, particularly the cash-rich MedTech companies, needs to be done much more effectively and I think some of those companies should, in turn, engage more with support for our county teams. Time they stepped up, imo.
One more idea, some of our star players I see around from time to time spend a bit too much time fixing their fringes and flowing locks - I'd issue Con O'Callaghan haircuts for all and a bit less of the posing ;-)

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 20/02/2021 23:30:38    2332224

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Some really good points there JohnT. I would add in more use of the Irish language. Especially with the success nationwide of TG4. This station has done more for Gaelic games over the last 20 years imho. And is doing a good job now with Connacht rugby. Time for Gaillimh to start using TG4 to their advantage. Ceapaim go bhfuil sé am an TnaG a bhaint an CLG amach.
Also name one of the stands after a Galway GAA victory, say the 2017 stand, after the hurlers win."
As bad as it sounds I think that the games would have a better chance of growing in popularity with our youth if they were all broadcast in English. Very few kids speak Irish today, especially in areas where the gaa isn't strong, so they're simply less likely to tune in if they don't understand the commentary.

Galway9801 (Galway) - Posts: 278 - 24/02/2021 07:33:58    2332591

Link

Replying To Galway9801:  "As bad as it sounds I think that the games would have a better chance of growing in popularity with our youth if they were all broadcast in English. Very few kids speak Irish today, especially in areas where the gaa isn't strong, so they're simply less likely to tune in if they don't understand the commentary."
That maybe true to a degree, but the Gaeilscoileanna movement is strong. And TG4 have some excellent series like Laochra gaeil.
Galway needs the Irish language. And so does the GAA.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2011 - 24/02/2021 09:52:41    2332607

Link

Great discussion

From a commercial point of view

Would a ref mike make sense. Probably need a lead in, communication course for referees etc but I would say it would sell really well and also improve referring. Referees would have to up their game communicating respectfully to players and players may have to reciprocate! I have no idea what the costs are and what level of sales would be needed to break even but it is certainly worth looking at.

Match day experience could be improved. At games in US (i'm guessing most of u have seen it) people walk around with food trays selling. At Connacht rugby I've seen a guy with a back pack selling beer, always loads of food vans at Connacht games. Not saying all of these should be introduced but we should look at this area. I don't think this costs money, just a bit of organizing and it may increase attendances (when we are allowed back).

Could Pearse Stadium be used for Corporate meetings? Could it be set up as a Galway Gaa Museum as part of the package and incorporated into one of the tourist routes around the city.

I am by no means saying that all the above should be introduced/done but I would like to think that someone is looking at these type of opportunities and if they are and it is decided they won't work that's fair enough. I'm sure there are loads of other things that can be looked at.

With the lack of pitch action now is a good time to be planning/strategizing/re-organizing

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1311 - 25/02/2021 10:56:37    2332715

Link

Move note league games to jenny Park, if the attendance warrants it.
Even though I'm a city man I way prefer athenry venue, and it makes for a better atmosphere if the crowd is packed in together, then lost in a load of empty seats as can be the case in Pearse stadium.

Obviously this is a post vaccination scenario.

Galway9801 (Galway) - Posts: 278 - 28/02/2021 09:55:02    2333043

Link

Replying To Galway9801:  "Move note league games to jenny Park, if the attendance warrants it.
Even though I'm a city man I way prefer athenry venue, and it makes for a better atmosphere if the crowd is packed in together, then lost in a load of empty seats as can be the case in Pearse stadium.

Obviously this is a post vaccination scenario."
True 9801... I just wish County Board would decide on a "home venue " and stick with it for 2-3 years at least.... that would help with trying to create more atmosphere and maybe give the teams a small bit of an advantage ?...they could get used to the particular pitch itself aswell.... not sure what advantage our lads get in Salthill as the wind makes conditions so unpredictable and changeable from game to game...

Wonder is there any chance of getting floodlights at any pitch sometime soon ?... the option of a game under lights would add great atmosphere and magic and it's possibly something that a huge amount of supporters have never experienced with the County teams ?...
I heard of an Intermediate club that have Inter County standard floodlights so surely we should be able to get them sorted at a pitch for the County teams !

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 28/02/2021 11:06:42    2333049

Link

Full time games promotion officers are essential to underage development if we've any ambitions and strategy to pull Sam and Liam back to Galway in the coming years. We might have 2? Look at what Wexford announced yesterday, fair play to them " Wexford GAA are planning to employ at least 15 full-time games promotion officers (GPOs) as part of their €5m five-year strategic plan (2021-25) launched today.

Modelled on the Dublin strategy which started 15 years ago, the county board are looking to assist 75% of their clubs with the GPO scheme. Wexford currently have 10 GDOs and are looking to employ 12 by the end of this year"

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 03/03/2021 23:01:28    2333472

Link