Galway Forum

Galway V Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tommy k:  "Kerin was very poor last year along with Sean Andy which led to many critical scores being leaked. As a Galway supporter, I would much rather see Kelly, Mulkerrins and Heaney in the fullback line than Kerin, Sean Andy and Wynne."
I get the feeling pj instils the belief that its their position to lose and none of those 3 are giving him any reason to change it, I don't know where silke will slot in, for Mcdaid? Molloy won't get on so it's a great problem for management.
Darcy had midfield but he gave them a reason to change it against Tyrone and the big athenry man took that opportunity and so I doubt we will see darcy much more

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 25/02/2020 16:27:36    2270121

Link

Replying To mise87:  "I get the feeling pj instils the belief that its their position to lose and none of those 3 are giving him any reason to change it, I don't know where silke will slot in, for Mcdaid? Molloy won't get on so it's a great problem for management.
Darcy had midfield but he gave them a reason to change it against Tyrone and the big athenry man took that opportunity and so I doubt we will see darcy much more"
D'Arcy hasn't performed in any of the games so far this year so can have few complaints if he doesn't get picked next time out. he is lucky that we have little depth in that position currently with the injuries to Duggan & O Curraoin and the unavailability of Cooke.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 757 - 25/02/2020 16:48:11    2270124

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "D'Arcy hasn't performed in any of the games so far this year so can have few complaints if he doesn't get picked next time out. he is lucky that we have little depth in that position currently with the injuries to Duggan & O Curraoin and the unavailability of Cooke."
How is o curraoin?

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1180 - 25/02/2020 18:01:45    2270147

Link

Replying To 3inarowsham:  "All M Daly is doing for galway is runing up and down the field."
Mike Daly gets an awful hard doing on this, maybe it's cause of the name ! Most wing forwards in Ireland " run up and down the field " as you put it ! He put in a good block in the first half when he game was tight !
I agree he hasn't been on top form but he still is putting in performances !
I think a lot of people on here are just watching highlights of games and commenting !
Have to watch the full game to get the full story !
He links up play well between the half forward and full forward line and always kicks a score or 2 !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 25/02/2020 21:02:29    2270184

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "How is o curraoin?"
Ligament damage unfortunately, he's coming up on 30 now and has had such bad luck with injuries, just feel he needs to be selfish now and focus in on his recovery and aim for a return in 2021, Duggan has had to make this call and take an extended break.
He could push himself back for a quick return but he'll listen to the experts around him but I doubt we'll see him this year for county

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 25/02/2020 21:14:20    2270190

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Ligament damage unfortunately, he's coming up on 30 now and has had such bad luck with injuries, just feel he needs to be selfish now and focus in on his recovery and aim for a return in 2021, Duggan has had to make this call and take an extended break.
He could push himself back for a quick return but he'll listen to the experts around him but I doubt we'll see him this year for county"
Thanks I obviously hate to see any lad injured but FOC in particular. Hes given so many years to the maroon jersey and always seems to pick up injuries just as hes making a return from a previous injury

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1180 - 25/02/2020 22:18:31    2270204

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Ligament damage unfortunately, he's coming up on 30 now and has had such bad luck with injuries, just feel he needs to be selfish now and focus in on his recovery and aim for a return in 2021, Duggan has had to make this call and take an extended break.
He could push himself back for a quick return but he'll listen to the experts around him but I doubt we'll see him this year for county"
Hope the injury heals quickly - he has been very unfortunate with injuries.
Not to be pedantic - but he is still only 27 years old.
Hard to believe as it feels like he has been around a long time

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 757 - 26/02/2020 07:04:33    2270229

Link

Its probably time to start moving comments onto the Galway v Meath thread , but a couple of final observations that I have from this one.
Firstly most posters are balanced about where we are i.e. that we are in a good place , playing lovely football, a joy to watch but also that we have lots of work to do and there will be days that don't go as well as last Sunday.
Secondly it is a bit frightening how people heap praise on some players and knock others. I suppose that is the nature of sports commentary and we tend to like to put players into black or white boxes. But the answers are much more grey.
Having analysed the full game Tyrone game during the week , I saw positives in all players , but also negative in all players.
And this is good in a team game.
For example Shane Walsh, who was undoubtedly our best player, was responsible for at least 5 bad enough turnovers.
McDaid and O'Donnell who were also very very good made a few bad errors.
I have no problem with people overlooking these errors ( I'm sure the players themselves and management will continue to work on them) but then when some other players make similar errors it seems to justify people knocking them.
Looking at again I do feel for Cein Darcy . He made some good contributions while on the pitch. I know it was the right call to introduce Flynn, but I would not dismiss Darcy on the back of the 25-30 minutes on Sunday.
Liam Silke too was not as anonymous as people are indicating
As for Michael Daly , we could have renamed this thread with the amount of posts.
On analysis of the Tyrone game , I do agree that he was not as good as the Donegal game, but he was solid . For sure he made a few mistakes but he made a lot of positive contributions. People have commented on the 2 points but just as important was some of the defensive work. When the game was 6 points to 3 he got a vital half block that saw a certain point drop into Gleeson and it resulted in Galway point . 7 to 3 , instead of 6 to 4. There were other examples of good defensive work by him, and this would not be his core strength so he is obviously working at his game, as are all our players. They all deserve huge credit and support. Well done lads.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 126 - 26/02/2020 09:15:59    2270241

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Its probably time to start moving comments onto the Galway v Meath thread , but a couple of final observations that I have from this one.
Firstly most posters are balanced about where we are i.e. that we are in a good place , playing lovely football, a joy to watch but also that we have lots of work to do and there will be days that don't go as well as last Sunday.
Secondly it is a bit frightening how people heap praise on some players and knock others. I suppose that is the nature of sports commentary and we tend to like to put players into black or white boxes. But the answers are much more grey.
Having analysed the full game Tyrone game during the week , I saw positives in all players , but also negative in all players.
And this is good in a team game.
For example Shane Walsh, who was undoubtedly our best player, was responsible for at least 5 bad enough turnovers.
McDaid and O'Donnell who were also very very good made a few bad errors.
I have no problem with people overlooking these errors ( I'm sure the players themselves and management will continue to work on them) but then when some other players make similar errors it seems to justify people knocking them.
Looking at again I do feel for Cein Darcy . He made some good contributions while on the pitch. I know it was the right call to introduce Flynn, but I would not dismiss Darcy on the back of the 25-30 minutes on Sunday.
Liam Silke too was not as anonymous as people are indicating
As for Michael Daly , we could have renamed this thread with the amount of posts.
On analysis of the Tyrone game , I do agree that he was not as good as the Donegal game, but he was solid . For sure he made a few mistakes but he made a lot of positive contributions. People have commented on the 2 points but just as important was some of the defensive work. When the game was 6 points to 3 he got a vital half block that saw a certain point drop into Gleeson and it resulted in Galway point . 7 to 3 , instead of 6 to 4. There were other examples of good defensive work by him, and this would not be his core strength so he is obviously working at his game, as are all our players. They all deserve huge credit and support. Well done lads."
Very good and balanced post there anotheralias. Yes no player played perfectly and there is no such thing as black and white when it comes to how someone played (a bit like life itself). The important thing is that they are all trying really hard (mistakes included) and seem to be motivated by the way PJ wants them to play.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2343 - 26/02/2020 11:22:36    2270274

Link