Galway Forum

Galway - NHL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd like to see Canning at 14 for 5 mins here and there switching with Whelan. We need to keep the goals flowing now they're coming.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 910 - 10/03/2020 16:48:27    2273270

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "I'd like to see Canning at 14 for 5 mins here and there switching with Whelan. We need to keep the goals flowing now they're coming."
I'd be more worried about keeping the goals out..it was the Dublin 3 goals last year that knocked us out.
J.McGrath got 2-01 off P.Killeen the last day and only for the mighty J.Skhell McGrath could have got 3 or 4 goals of him , wise move by SON to take him off after 22mins!
GMAC at no.6 along with P.Mannion and F.Burke in the half backline would be very solid.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 10/03/2020 17:56:33    2273279

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'm critical with him from day one not just today!
He definitely was at fault for the goal v Cork when the Cork lad did a burner on him from the half foward line and there was Cooney jogging back after him dragging the hurl along the ground completely gassed out .
He is like P.Killeen big awkward and physical but absolutely no speed or pace whatsoever!
On a dry sod and fast ball he wouldn't be able for Inter County hurling speed.
He is like a tractor turning and then Jack knifing getting bogged down when a nippy quick forward takes him on."
Shane Cooney has done well since getting the 6 spot. He has done very well considering he had very little time on the team up to this point. He was injured when he left the field and Galway had it back to within two points when he went off in the second half. Less of the nasty comments ..... he is well known for his runs up the field and slotting them over. Give the lad a break.

galwayforthecup (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 10/03/2020 18:14:16    2273280

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Dublin beat us as they deserved to beat us. Our shocking performances against Wexford and especially Carlow was more the reason Galway didn't progress. Galway were the only team to lose once and not progress. Munster had two teams qualify with two losses. For the record Galway were knocked out on points difference. Not by Dublin."
Well said and I agree fully. You also get extra points for some top class pedantry!

We left ourselves in a position where one bad result against Dublin, and totally unexpected result elsewhere saw us bundled out. The equity of a competition where we get bundled out after one loss, while others trudged on after two is worth pointing out.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 10/03/2020 18:36:44    2273282

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Ye, we still haven't found our corner backs, Morrissey has done well but needs to hold his ground and mark the player rather than always trying to win the ball. Its a gamble.

Loftus isn't a natural corner back, but he has some good blocking and hooking skills, and will naturally fill in as sweeper if we have a spare man.

Killeen is probably the best defender but is just a bit too slow especially if he gets dragged out the pitch.

TJ looks a super player for one so young and a definite star of the future I would say.

Anything to be said for putting Tuohy back in there, he seems a lot stronger now, he's not a natural defender."
Fintan Burke is the man for corner back
Strong as an oxx good hurler

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1178 - 10/03/2020 18:54:23    2273285

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Fintan Burke is the man for corner back
Strong as an oxx good hurler"
I think that's the best solution to one of the positions at least, we're well covered at half back now.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 11/03/2020 10:14:20    2273343

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Well said and I agree fully. You also get extra points for some top class pedantry!

We left ourselves in a position where one bad result against Dublin, and totally unexpected result elsewhere saw us bundled out. The equity of a competition where we get bundled out after one loss, while others trudged on after two is worth pointing out."
Agreed. I've heard us get a bit of stick in the national media for 'underachieving' in the last 3 years. We've lost only 2 championship games in those 3 years. Far less than any other team in the country.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 819 - 11/03/2020 10:22:42    2273347

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Agreed. I've heard us get a bit of stick in the national media for 'underachieving' in the last 3 years. We've lost only 2 championship games in those 3 years. Far less than any other team in the country."
Fair point, but it's medals or cups that count at the end of the day, and sadly the view of Galway been chokers or perennial losers is something that we will always struggle to get rid of. I always hoped that we would get another All Ireland out of this side, and yes after 2017 they owe us nothing, but wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Joe in particular, the Burkes or the Mannions with another All Ireland medal in their back pocket.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 11/03/2020 15:21:36    2273405

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Agreed. I've heard us get a bit of stick in the national media for 'underachieving' in the last 3 years. We've lost only 2 championship games in those 3 years. Far less than any other team in the country."
In fairness after 2013 it looked like we'd never get beaten again, I do think this team has underachieved, injuries didn't help but we have so much talent.

I think we'll be competitive again this year.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 11/03/2020 16:30:43    2273424

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "Fair point, but it's medals or cups that count at the end of the day, and sadly the view of Galway been chokers or perennial losers is something that we will always struggle to get rid of. I always hoped that we would get another All Ireland out of this side, and yes after 2017 they owe us nothing, but wouldn't it be great to see the likes of Joe in particular, the Burkes or the Mannions with another All Ireland medal in their back pocket."
That's true, but it's an incredibly competitive era at the moment. There are 6 or 7 teams capable of beating each other on a given day. Even those perceived as being ahead of the rest, like Limerick can be caught at any stage.
We're one of those teams with a chance. I'd love to see this group get another medal. The ship definitely hasn't sailed on that.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 819 - 11/03/2020 17:40:42    2273443

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "That's true, but it's an incredibly competitive era at the moment. There are 6 or 7 teams capable of beating each other on a given day. Even those perceived as being ahead of the rest, like Limerick can be caught at any stage.
We're one of those teams with a chance. I'd love to see this group get another medal. The ship definitely hasn't sailed on that."
It is relatively wide open now but when we won in 2017 it looked like we were never going to get beaten. We were well at the top of the pile.

1 AI would be a poor return for this squad.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 13/03/2020 12:06:29    2273679

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "It is relatively wide open now but when we won in 2017 it looked like we were never going to get beaten. We were well at the top of the pile.

1 AI would be a poor return for this squad."
No we weren't......well at the top of the pile!

We only scraped over Tipp by 1pt at the 2017 semi stage, a team that won the 2016 & 2019 championships. How does that equate to 'well at the top of the pile'?

Even Tipp aren't 'well at the top of the pile', and they've won 2 of the last 4, which is twice as many as 1 of the last 4, obviously enough.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 13/03/2020 19:43:44    2273734

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "No we weren't......well at the top of the pile!

We only scraped over Tipp by 1pt at the 2017 semi stage, a team that won the 2016 & 2019 championships. How does that equate to 'well at the top of the pile'?

Even Tipp aren't 'well at the top of the pile', and they've won 2 of the last 4, which is twice as many as 1 of the last 4, obviously enough."
What happens between ourselves and Tipp has a life of its own, we went into that match strong favourites in case you forgot.

And only lost to them by a point in 2016, 2019 has no relevance to this discussion except we'd fallen a long way off our best.

Go back to any of the commentary after 2017, I accept you have to take some of it with a grain of salt as winners get hyped big time.

After 2017 did you think that was it, one AI and we go back in our box for another 29 years.

That team had everything, physicality, skill, aggression.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 14/03/2020 08:44:06    2273775

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "What happens between ourselves and Tipp has a life of its own, we went into that match strong favourites in case you forgot.

And only lost to them by a point in 2016, 2019 has no relevance to this discussion except we'd fallen a long way off our best.

Go back to any of the commentary after 2017, I accept you have to take some of it with a grain of salt as winners get hyped big time.

After 2017 did you think that was it, one AI and we go back in our box for another 29 years.

That team had everything, physicality, skill, aggression."
If you're accepting that positive 2017 'commentary' has to be 'taken with a grain of salt' , how do you conclude that we were 'well on top of the pile', after only having 1pt to spare over Tipp in the 2017 semi, a Tipp squad that just so happens to have twice as many all-irelands as Galway in just the past 4 seasons?

It'll be the autumn of 2046 before anybody will be able to conclude that we've been 'back in our box' for another 29 years, so even if I have thought about it, we've 27 more 'goes' at it, before we'll get that question definitively answered.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 14/03/2020 16:39:36    2273813

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "If you're accepting that positive 2017 'commentary' has to be 'taken with a grain of salt' , how do you conclude that we were 'well on top of the pile', after only having 1pt to spare over Tipp in the 2017 semi, a Tipp squad that just so happens to have twice as many all-irelands as Galway in just the past 4 seasons?

It'll be the autumn of 2046 before anybody will be able to conclude that we've been 'back in our box' for another 29 years, so even if I have thought about it, we've 27 more 'goes' at it, before we'll get that question definitively answered."
Most Sports hype winners, the GAA do it even more than most. Go back and look at some youtube

We beat everyone relatively easy in 2017 barring Tipp, as I said, our games with them take a life of their own just like a couple of weeks ago, not many would have given us a chance against them but we hammered them.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 18/03/2020 15:17:14    2274039

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Most Sports hype winners, the GAA do it even more than most. Go back and look at some youtube

We beat everyone relatively easy in 2017 barring Tipp, as I said, our games with them take a life of their own just like a couple of weeks ago, not many would have given us a chance against them but we hammered them."
In all fairness Waterford gave ye plenty of it in '17, and knocked out Cork and Kilkenny also, also and were in it till the closing stages

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 20/03/2020 20:26:00    2274190

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "In all fairness Waterford gave ye plenty of it in '17, and knocked out Cork and Kilkenny also, also and were in it till the closing stages"
That is not to say of course that Galway did not win the League., Leinster and AICs which definitely made them the team of '17.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 21/03/2020 10:34:36    2274220

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "In all fairness Waterford gave ye plenty of it in '17, and knocked out Cork and Kilkenny also, also and were in it till the closing stages"
We did our usual and kept them in it by gifting them goals.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 23/03/2020 10:15:46    2274346

Link