Galway Forum

Corofin V Kilcoo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To johnterry:  "Everyone on here blaming the ref, I'm no fan of his but the amount of closed fist tackles, dissent, sledging, late hits and diving from both teams was embarrassing at times"
Agreed. Ref's performance was flawed, but both teams were geared up for a dirty, psychological game, and duly delivered it. Can't blame the Down lads, they did what they felt they needed to do to win the game against a highly fancied Corofin team. As someone said earlier, I think our lads gave them a little too much respect, and I'm sure despite all the pre-match interviews that stated the contrary; the three-in-a-row must have been weighing heavily on their minds going in. Nerves showed, but in the end, class won out.

And as someone has already said, it can't always be champagne football. It's just a shame that the sport in general is slipping towards this conservative, edgy, and to my mind unentertaining style.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 21/01/2020 15:59:14    2261362

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Everyone on here blaming the ref, I'm no fan of his but the amount of closed fist tackles, dissent, sledging, late hits and diving from both teams was embarrassing at times"
'Blaming' him for what? He was very biased imo, Kilcoo got their frees far more easily for most of the opening 70mins. It was especially bad in the first 35mins imo, which helped Kilcoo establish their foothold in the game. That's all I'd 'blame' him for. I'd forgive mistakes & 'poor' decisions (which are mistakes presumably), but biased refereeing is an unfortunate scourge of the GAA, and by definition there is nothing accidental, erroneous or even 'poor' about biased refereeing.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 21/01/2020 16:41:50    2261370

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "'Blaming' him for what? He was very biased imo, Kilcoo got their frees far more easily for most of the opening 70mins. It was especially bad in the first 35mins imo, which helped Kilcoo establish their foothold in the game. That's all I'd 'blame' him for. I'd forgive mistakes & 'poor' decisions (which are mistakes presumably), but biased refereeing is an unfortunate scourge of the GAA, and by definition there is nothing accidental, erroneous or even 'poor' about biased refereeing."
Blaming him for a poor refereeing performance. You haven't mentioned the players once so I'll refresh your memory.
Darragh Silke, blatant pull down as Kilcoo attacked.(fair enough he got a black but very hard to feel sorry about what occurred afterwards)
Mike Farragher, should have got a straight red.
Dylan Wall, dive in the first half.
Lundy, shoulder I guy in the back as hes running down the tunnel and gripping a player and selectors jersey.
Kilcoo No.5 screaming in Leonard's face when he missed the free.
Dylan Ward, fist into the stomach on Sice.
Kilcoo No. 11, sneaky late hit on Fitzgerald under the Hogan.
Bias from the ref you call it, is he not reacting to the sh*** that's in front of him

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 442 - 21/01/2020 18:12:32    2261389

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Blaming him for a poor refereeing performance. You haven't mentioned the players once so I'll refresh your memory.
Darragh Silke, blatant pull down as Kilcoo attacked.(fair enough he got a black but very hard to feel sorry about what occurred afterwards)
Mike Farragher, should have got a straight red.
Dylan Wall, dive in the first half.
Lundy, shoulder I guy in the back as hes running down the tunnel and gripping a player and selectors jersey.
Kilcoo No.5 screaming in Leonard's face when he missed the free.
Dylan Ward, fist into the stomach on Sice.
Kilcoo No. 11, sneaky late hit on Fitzgerald under the Hogan.
Bias from the ref you call it, is he not reacting to the sh*** that's in front of him"
I agree with what you say but the ref. did not have good day at the office and some of the flare ups were a by-product of the official's mistakes, like playing11 mins extra. The free that tied it up must have been moved in for a reason, not sure what happened. Lundy did not show leadership in the discipline department either, although it looked like he was been chased in the tunnel. GAA must let one team at a time enter the tunnel or use a second tunnel. Hard luck on Kilcoo and congrats to Corofin.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1044 - 21/01/2020 19:48:28    2261416

Link

Joe Brolly reckons that Corofin could easily play in Div 2 or even Div 1 of the county football league! He says that Corofin play as a team and dont rely on individuals, they have a method of playing and are all tuned in. That is why its not easy for their players to play with Galway particularly the shambles that Galway has been in recent years.Hopefully under new management Galway will be better. However we already see that one individual on the team is being given superstar status and this is not a good sign.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 21/01/2020 19:56:35    2261418

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Joe Brolly reckons that Corofin could easily play in Div 2 or even Div 1 of the county football league! He says that Corofin play as a team and dont rely on individuals, they have a method of playing and are all tuned in. That is why its not easy for their players to play with Galway particularly the shambles that Galway has been in recent years.Hopefully under new management Galway will be better. However we already see that one individual on the team is being given superstar status and this is not a good sign."
He has probably based that on the fact that Corofin are supposed to have beaten Clare last year in a challenge game prior to the Dr Crokes game and the next week Clare beat Cork in the national league. Now nobody knows what team Clare had out or if the game took place at all and we since know Cork got relegated to division three and had a very poor league. Corofin may give a county team a good run but too survive for seven league games is stretching it. Gary Sice last year gave an interview and when asked explained the difference between club and county is gigantic and you couldn't compare either.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 21/01/2020 20:12:24    2261424

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Joe Brolly reckons that Corofin could easily play in Div 2 or even Div 1 of the county football league! He says that Corofin play as a team and dont rely on individuals, they have a method of playing and are all tuned in. That is why its not easy for their players to play with Galway particularly the shambles that Galway has been in recent years.Hopefully under new management Galway will be better. However we already see that one individual on the team is being given superstar status and this is not a good sign."
The shambles that Galway have been in the last few years.....LOL Crafty.....you are the best crack of all.... your back out from under your rock that you have been under since September 2001...welcome back
I hope you will not be as fast to put the boot into PJ lad!!!!

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 21/01/2020 20:48:51    2261433

Link

As Joe Brolly told Tommy Tiernan the other night, he doesn't necessarily believe every viewpoint that he espouses, or spouts about. Rather, he prefers to make commentary that will provoke reaction & further commentary, regardless of whether he believes it to be the case or not.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 21/01/2020 20:58:12    2261437

Link

Everyone knows by now Joe Brolly will jump on bandwagon when he sees something going well. He would be the same if hopefully Galway go well. He only spouts his headious nonsense to get a reaction and get someone talking about him. It is obviously working.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 21/01/2020 21:09:38    2261439

Link

Replying To EDH:  "He has probably based that on the fact that Corofin are supposed to have beaten Clare last year in a challenge game prior to the Dr Crokes game and the next week Clare beat Cork in the national league. Now nobody knows what team Clare had out or if the game took place at all and we since know Cork got relegated to division three and had a very poor league. Corofin may give a county team a good run but too survive for seven league games is stretching it. Gary Sice last year gave an interview and when asked explained the difference between club and county is gigantic and you couldn't compare either."
Brolly is an All Ireland winner so he should know a bit about it. He may be looking for a bit of reaction but what he says about the team being important rather than the individual is very true. Brolly never said anything about Clare or any of that stuff. He is basing his opinion on what he has seen of Corofin.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 21/01/2020 21:11:48    2261440

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The shambles that Galway have been in the last few years.....LOL Crafty.....you are the best crack of all.... your back out from under your rock that you have been under since September 2001...welcome back
I hope you will not be as fast to put the boot into PJ lad!!!!"
The jury is out on PJ at present. We will see how he does. He was without doubt one of the all time greats as a player but management is a different ball game. I hope he succeeds but if he deserves it he will not be immune from criticism lad.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 21/01/2020 21:20:32    2261445

Link

Replying To crafty:  "The jury is out on PJ at present. We will see how he does. He was without doubt one of the all time greats as a player but management is a different ball game. I hope he succeeds but if he deserves it he will not be immune from criticism lad."
Your the man

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 21/01/2020 22:56:16    2261462

Link

Brolly reckons corofin could play in div 2 or even div1 league. Ok they could win 1 maybe 2 games and the odd draw. By that token Tuam Stars and Kilcoo could play in div 2. Both drew with corofin. In fact Tuam should have bet corofin the first day when they on two occasions got frees in front of goal. On both occasions corofin started a bit of handbag with Tuam. (So anyone who thinks corofin are Angel's should rethink)Tuam reacted and hop ball. So read ur statement again before posting and see how foolish it looks. Joe Brolly will love u though LOL. That said no one can take away from corofin achievements. Three club AI in a row is fantastic.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 22/01/2020 08:45:08    2261485

Link

Congrats to Corofin on their historic 3 in a row. They won it in the end, nothing else matters. The greatest Club Football team of all time. Enjoy the celebrations.. well deserved!

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 22/01/2020 09:06:17    2261488

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Agreed. Ref's performance was flawed, but both teams were geared up for a dirty, psychological game, and duly delivered it. Can't blame the Down lads, they did what they felt they needed to do to win the game against a highly fancied Corofin team. As someone said earlier, I think our lads gave them a little too much respect, and I'm sure despite all the pre-match interviews that stated the contrary; the three-in-a-row must have been weighing heavily on their minds going in. Nerves showed, but in the end, class won out.

And as someone has already said, it can't always be champagne football. It's just a shame that the sport in general is slipping towards this conservative, edgy, and to my mind unentertaining style."
There was some fairly bad diving in the 2015 game with Slaughtneil as well, it's not really a recent thing. I'd love to know if anyone has tried to stamp it out or if its just something that is accepted as part of the game now.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2485 - 22/01/2020 12:30:14    2261533

Link

Replying To Soma:  "There was some fairly bad diving in the 2015 game with Slaughtneil as well, it's not really a recent thing. I'd love to know if anyone has tried to stamp it out or if its just something that is accepted as part of the game now."
Cynical enough stuff from Kilcoo also which you omit to mention. Scroll up for some examples of it.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 786 - 22/01/2020 23:12:37    2261688

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Cynical enough stuff from Kilcoo also which you omit to mention. Scroll up for some examples of it."
In my opinion both sides should be embarrassed about some of the stuff that went on Sunday. I can't think of anything worse than diving to get an opponent sent off on a day he has probably dreamed of most of his life.
I thought both Ballyhale and Borrisoleigh could be hugely proud of what they done Sunday, but I just don't understand how you could be proud of any team that have players who dive to get opponents sent off. If it happened once it could be forgiven but if its going on for years then I think it reflects very badly. A red mist can come down and a player may strike out and instantly regret it, but to dive and roll about and feign injury is a different thing entirely. I'd love to know if clubmates care or if it's just accepted?

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2485 - 23/01/2020 19:00:57    2261833

Link

Replying To Soma:  "In my opinion both sides should be embarrassed about some of the stuff that went on Sunday. I can't think of anything worse than diving to get an opponent sent off on a day he has probably dreamed of most of his life.
I thought both Ballyhale and Borrisoleigh could be hugely proud of what they done Sunday, but I just don't understand how you could be proud of any team that have players who dive to get opponents sent off. If it happened once it could be forgiven but if its going on for years then I think it reflects very badly. A red mist can come down and a player may strike out and instantly regret it, but to dive and roll about and feign injury is a different thing entirely. I'd love to know if clubmates care or if it's just accepted?"
Yes I do agree there was a lot of false dives that went on for both sides. To add to that what happened in tunnel was a disgrace. Its not acceptable to have players trying to push their opponents against the wall from behind. Also it's not acceptable to have a clown jumping from stand into tunnel to get involved in fracas. The tunnel should have several studerts who can liaise with referee about this type of behaviour.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 24/01/2020 09:55:23    2261891

Link