Galway Forum

Galway U21 Hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To onlyhurling:  "does anyone know why the Minors are not also in Leinster and how does the format for that Championship work?"
Something to do with the Leaving Cert, time and travel, I think.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 853 - 21/06/2018 15:56:38    2113594

Link

I could be wrong, but I think there was widespread oppostion in Leinster to our Minors also joining the party. Galway have been the dominant team at Minor level over the last 20 years, winning eight All Irelands since 1999 and losing five which is some record, so there has always been a fear that they would dominate underage hurling, particularly in Leinster.

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 22/06/2018 09:12:11    2113695

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Definitely, and given how talented this bunch of lads seem to be, it should help the senior ranks hugely in the next couple of years. Definitely need to fill out the panel a bit. Thought Fintan Burke and Kevin Cooney were outstanding. Is Fintan a brother of David, Eanna etc.?"
I think Fintan is a cousin, what a prospect he is.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 182 - 22/06/2018 11:25:59    2113718

Link

Leinster champions! Well done lads. By all accounts the hurling game of the year so far, with all the drama one could hope for. And 53 scores! You can keep your World Cup!!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 05/07/2018 00:27:47    2118707

Link

Forgot the most important part:
Gaillimh Abú!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 05/07/2018 00:28:52    2118708

Link

Can't believe there's no posts on last night's incredible drama, what a game, and hats of to our U-21s for pulling this game out of the fire right at the death in extra time. Referee was dreadful, and did his best to ruin a classic, but thankfully the lads came through, with Fintan Burke outstanding. Hopefully now our seniors will show the same heart and guts on Sunday, and we can be celebrating another Leinster Final win.

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 05/07/2018 09:18:41    2118736

Link

I'm sure plenty of people have heard about the Wexford game yesterday. An interesting game that's for sure. Some man Bleahene for coming back onto the pitch and getting us that late winner. Not his best day but he's young yet and could be a big player in future. Hats off to the lads, thought they were brilliant in the face of an awful refereeing performance, probably the worst I've ever seen in all honesty. Some good performances all over the park. Fintan Burke exceptional again I thought, and Tom Monaghan certainly showed the cut of a lad with senior experience. What a goal he got in the first half. Kevin Broderick-esque. Kevin Cooney looks to have bags of ability as well, he got himself a cracking goal, as did Niland. There is so much talent there and it'll be interesting to see how they can push on. Loftus and Monaghan nearly look ready made to step up next year and get more minutes at midfield for the seniors.

Also find it funny how Jack Canning is the so-called star of the team, doing all the media and that, but in reality he's probably not good enough to start just yet. Goes to show the strength of the team overall. He'll have his day at this level yet, if not later in this campaign. He always poses a threat and seems hell bent on goals. A nice trait to have!

The ref was poor for both sides, but Galway in particular. Adding the guts of 2 mins extra on top of the 4 mins added time was just scandalous. Not quite sure what Bannon got sent off for either? Certainly a lot less than some of the stuff Wexford lads got away with. There were so many late tackles on our lads after the ball had been struck and only think he pulled for it once. There was also the umpire who flagged Murphy for stepping outside the square on his puck out when he clearly didn't. I really could go on and on because it felt like every play involved some scandalous refereeing decision. There was one time Grealish jostled the Wexford fella out over the line and the linesman gave a sideline to Wexford and the Wexford lad still had the ball in his hand! Either a Galway line ball or a free against Grealish...physically impossible to be a Wexford line ball! The decision to add an extra 2 mins or so after the added on time more or less summed it all up, and at that point I thought we had no chance to come back if I'm honest.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Cork will be hard beat for the All-Ireland title with lads like Coleman, Fitzgibbon and Kingston in with them, but I know our lads are more than good enough especially with 2 minor titles in the mix in this squad.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 05/07/2018 09:42:20    2118741

Link

Yeh ref looked out of his depth which is exactly the same as semifinal ref v KK
Both have been terrible
Even though last night he awarded Wexford a penalty in first half before reversing the decision in the confusion
It was a penalty as Galway corner back threw his hurl at the attacker on edge of square
Overall most decisions went against us and timekeeping was a farce
A sweet win in the circumstances against a good Wexford side for whom OConnor and Casey were brilliant

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 05/07/2018 11:06:12    2118766

Link

Surely the GAA are looking at the performances of their refs and if they are that man John O'Brien (from Tipp originally!) should never be allowed to ref another match again.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2399 - 05/07/2018 20:14:40    2118926

Link

some serious talemt on that team
what a game that was
wexford have some fine players too like rory o connor
fahy for galway looks really exciting seems to have come on a lot
and young cooney has lot of his dads skills too coming nicely too

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1217 - 08/07/2018 12:43:09    2119574

Link

Galway hurlers will be ok when they get a different Coaching and a different manager. JEFF LYNSKEY of the Minors should have the lot of them. I never saw such a brand of hurling played in all my life like Galway did in the first half. Bad enough GAA Football passing Backwards and going nowhere, but Hurlers?? For Pete's sake, what were they at?? Galway way better than that, but needs a proper Coach and Manager. Tipp Laughing at us.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1643 - 09/08/2018 23:09:30    2131392

Link

Looks like we have all of a sudden gone backwards with this group of All Ireland Minor winners. Beaten by a team we beat 3 yrs ago and they now missing 2 of their outstanding minors. Poor on the line in terms of on field coaching with players deciding to take matters in their own hands when they could see where the problem positions were. Very poor shot execution, poor long range frees and "no change".

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 10/08/2018 09:51:19    2131450

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "Looks like we have all of a sudden gone backwards with this group of All Ireland Minor winners. Beaten by a team we beat 3 yrs ago and they now missing 2 of their outstanding minors. Poor on the line in terms of on field coaching with players deciding to take matters in their own hands when they could see where the problem positions were. Very poor shot execution, poor long range frees and "no change"."
I though we were too slow to make changes. We had a reluctance to hit any ball in long, first ball drops in and we get a goal but it was nearly too late. Full forward was disappointed coming off but he was starved of any service, though Canning did improve matters a bit. Other forwards got plenty of service and racked up the wides. Tipp were clinical in the first half as our forwards hit a succession of wides some from very poor positions.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 403 - 10/08/2018 14:28:22    2131548

Link