Westmeath Forum

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agree, cannot see either of the junior 2 finalists contesting junior 1 this year.
But Bun surely will be keen to bounce back.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 31/01/2021 21:46:44    2329919

Link

I just don't buy into the big fuss about the downs, they were far from convincing in the 1/4 final last year only for a last minute penalty against a 13 man Ballycomoyle

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 31/01/2021 22:07:29    2329923

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "I just don't buy into the big fuss about the downs, they were far from convincing in the 1/4 final last year only for a last minute penalty against a 13 man Ballycomoyle"
Their was a issue that arose before that game that day. The downs had previously regraded two players & 2 mins before the throw in they were informed by a ballycoymoyle manager/selector that those two players were not regraded!? talking to a few people after the game it had turned out that the 2 players in question actually were regraded but ballycoymoyle obviously tried to con the downs in some way or another and we're obviously fearful of the downs that they wanted to pull a fast one that two of their stronger players couldn't play & the Downs had to change their starting team 2 mins before the game started so obviously that would've had an affect on their team. Ballycoymoyle got one red card with about 1 minute left & they got the other after the downs were awarded the penalty so it was not like they played the whole game with 13 men.The downs went on to lose out to tubberclair marginally and were actually unfortunate to lose listening to neutrals who were at the game. I presume your one who think Lomans are better than the downs ?

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 31/01/2021 23:27:43    2329937

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "I just don't buy into the big fuss about the downs, they were far from convincing in the 1/4 final last year only for a last minute penalty against a 13 man Ballycomoyle"
As said before also I would much rather play against a Lomans or garrycastle or bun than Ballycoymoyle or finea as both these teams are sole junior teams & are always hard bet as their hungry to win & are also very dogged

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 31/01/2021 23:30:14    2329938

Link

Fair point. Only one poster bigging up The Downs I think. Yes they have Tubberclaire a game but never really looked like winning. I would rate Lomans and Bun to be as equally in contention closely followed by Ballinagore and others.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 01/02/2021 00:25:17    2329941

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "As said before also I would much rather play against a Lomans or garrycastle or bun than Ballycoymoyle or finea as both these teams are sole junior teams & are always hard bet as their hungry to win & are also very dogged"
I would rather play Ballycomoyle than Bun personally

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 893 - 01/02/2021 09:59:21    2329950

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "I would rather play Ballycomoyle than Bun personally"
I feel like if you were playing b'coymoyle & you were beating them they'll keep going and working hard and would make life hard on you.
But If it was bun & you got ahead of them by 3/4 points I think that bun players would start getting frustrated & lose the head as they will feel that they shouldn't be in junior. Just an opinion now

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 01/02/2021 10:10:58    2329954

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Fair point. Only one poster bigging up The Downs I think. Yes they have Tubberclaire a game but never really looked like winning. I would rate Lomans and Bun to be as equally in contention closely followed by Ballinagore and others."
Ballinagore?

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 01/02/2021 10:17:50    2329955

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Their was a issue that arose before that game that day. The downs had previously regraded two players & 2 mins before the throw in they were informed by a ballycoymoyle manager/selector that those two players were not regraded!? talking to a few people after the game it had turned out that the 2 players in question actually were regraded but ballycoymoyle obviously tried to con the downs in some way or another and we're obviously fearful of the downs that they wanted to pull a fast one that two of their stronger players couldn't play & the Downs had to change their starting team 2 mins before the game started so obviously that would've had an affect on their team. Ballycoymoyle got one red card with about 1 minute left & they got the other after the downs were awarded the penalty so it was not like they played the whole game with 13 men.The downs went on to lose out to tubberclair marginally and were actually unfortunate to lose listening to neutrals who were at the game. I presume your one who think Lomans are better than the downs ?"
So the Downs named 2 players to start, Ballycomoyle objected, and that the Downs said "okay we wont play them so" . . .

The Downs would have had Paddy Doherty on the side line with their management, are you telling me the Downs or Paddy Doherty weren't sure which players were eligible to start a Junior semi-final ?

I smell a rat.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 01/02/2021 11:02:48    2329958

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "So the Downs named 2 players to start, Ballycomoyle objected, and that the Downs said "okay we wont play them so" . . .

The Downs would have had Paddy Doherty on the side line with their management, are you telling me the Downs or Paddy Doherty weren't sure which players were eligible to start a Junior semi-final ?

I smell a rat."
I guess you know it all , it's not just as simple as that.
I only heard the story off someone but the scenario they were in was play the two players & find out after they were regraded or play the two players find out after they weren't regraded & then get thrown out because they win the game.
From a neutral perspective I'm wondering how Ballycoymoyle came up with the fact they "weren't" regraded.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 01/02/2021 11:21:14    2329960

Link

Ah lads can you change the topic. We're talking about JFC 2021.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 01/02/2021 12:01:20    2329969

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Well to me it looks like he's only defending his club (i'm guessing he's Lomans) from the same 4-5 individuals making the same spurious allegations about his club, allegations that they simply can't/won't/don't back up. Lomans seem to be the only club that gets slated on this platform, but i guess thats what success will lead to, begrudgery.

So fair play to you Chick, keep her lit, i can tell you my club have no problems with ye and I actually hope ye win the JFC now :-)"
I'm not Loman's,my club is actually a hurling club. but agree with your viewpoint. Where did i get my information about football so ? ,anyone genuinely involved in the GAA scene in the county knows these things. I have a low tolerance for lads taking rubbish who are only one here not to discuss Westmeath football but to start/spread unfounded rumours. His last post actually proved my point
Regardless thanks for a reply that's GAA focused.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 01/02/2021 14:25:25    2330000

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "I guess you know it all , it's not just as simple as that.
I only heard the story off someone but the scenario they were in was play the two players & find out after they were regraded or play the two players find out after they weren't regraded & then get thrown out because they win the game.
From a neutral perspective I'm wondering how Ballycoymoyle came up with the fact they "weren't" regraded."
I don't know it all and I'm not doubting you because I heard something similar myself last year. However, if this is the case, then the Downs were obviously prepared to take a chance playing 2 players that they weren't sure were fully legitimate (i.e. that were re-graded), and if that's the case then its simply not good enough from the Downs !

Someone needs to provide an explanation as to what really happened because its a fairly serious allegation.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 13:53:25    2330112

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "I don't know it all and I'm not doubting you because I heard something similar myself last year. However, if this is the case, then the Downs were obviously prepared to take a chance playing 2 players that they weren't sure were fully legitimate (i.e. that were re-graded), and if that's the case then its simply not good enough from the Downs !

Someone needs to provide an explanation as to what really happened because its a fairly serious allegation."
I'll try
The downs had been informed that those players were regarded the week of the game.
They then found out as someone mentioned before just before throw in those players were not regraded.
Turned out that someone high up in Westmeath gaa had objected to the regarding of those players & therefore the regrading didn't go through & nobody from the downs was informed of this but somehow someone from Ballycoymoyle was informed !
Now this is just what I've heard but from a fair reliable source. I would feel sorry for the downs personally for being put in this situation because they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they played those players and won they would've been thrown out so they changed their lineup and just about won the game. I understand the two players in question were stronger players than what both teams had & May of made life a bit easier for the downs on the day.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 02/02/2021 14:23:46    2330117

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "I'll try
The downs had been informed that those players were regarded the week of the game.
They then found out as someone mentioned before just before throw in those players were not regraded.
Turned out that someone high up in Westmeath gaa had objected to the regarding of those players & therefore the regrading didn't go through & nobody from the downs was informed of this but somehow someone from Ballycoymoyle was informed !
Now this is just what I've heard but from a fair reliable source. I would feel sorry for the downs personally for being put in this situation because they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they played those players and won they would've been thrown out so they changed their lineup and just about won the game. I understand the two players in question were stronger players than what both teams had & May of made life a bit easier for the downs on the day."
Nice one WH13. Just curious, do you know if the 2 players in question played for the Downs in the next round v Tubbetclair ?

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 16:56:00    2330138

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Nice one WH13. Just curious, do you know if the 2 players in question played for the Downs in the next round v Tubbetclair ?"
At least one of them played the senior quarter final against Garrycastle the next day and the semi v Lomans. They were 2 prominent senior players who just happened not to be available for the first two rounds of the senior so the Downs applied to regrade them to get a bit of game time into them and also help the juniors progress, which is imo a big part of what's wrong with this regrading rule. There was no cccc meeting between the regrading application and the junior match so it didn't get ratified but the Downs tried to be clever and play them anyway, only for Balycomoyle had their homework done and raised the issue and the Downs promptly withdrew the players. Truth be told Balycomoyle did the Downs a favour as the players would have been illegal and that would have opened a whole other can of worms if discovered after the fact.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 02/02/2021 17:48:36    2330146

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Nice one WH13. Just curious, do you know if the 2 players in question played for the Downs in the next round v Tubbetclair ?"
One went on to play center field against tubberclair the other came on in the senior QF the day after the junior QF & started the semi final.I think He started for their seniors in 2019 but went travelling for part of 2020 and returned home before championship so I was told anyways.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 02/02/2021 17:56:51    2330148

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "One went on to play center field against tubberclair the other came on in the senior QF the day after the junior QF & started the semi final.I think He started for their seniors in 2019 but went travelling for part of 2020 and returned home before championship so I was told anyways."
Haha it sounds like Ballycomoyle pulled off one hell of a bluff so, i love it :-)

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 18:35:04    2330155

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Haha it sounds like Ballycomoyle pulled off one hell of a bluff so, i love it :-)"
Yeah haha
I wouldn't like it if it was to happen to my club & id say you would be of it happened ur club to wouldn't ya !?

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 02/02/2021 21:47:10    2330177

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "Yeah haha
I wouldn't like it if it was to happen to my club & id say you would be of it happened ur club to wouldn't ya !?"
The buck stops with the club Secretary, it's his job to confirm whether a player is eligible or not, simple as that, it's either one or the other.

I'd know 1 or 2 lads from the Downs Junior management, all very sound men who know their football, but I'm surprised they weren't 100% certain of the eligibility of 2 of their 'better' players, however I'm even more surprised that it sounds like they were going to take a chance starting them only for Ballycomoyle objecting.

If I was a Downs man and we lost this match over a Ballycomoyle fast-one then I'd be seriously annoyed, but they didn't lose, perhaps they were trying to pull a fast one themselves too, all's well that ends well, there were 2 of them in it that day. I've no more to say on the matter.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 22:46:37    2330193

Link