Limerick Forum

Limerick Hurling 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To updwell:  "Would agree re-WOD, very unlucky consideration he got yhe better of Barron twice in the championship. As for Cian MOTM in Munster final, centre forward against Tipp totally upset Tipp and when the need was greatest against Galway he did 4 or 5 things in the last 20 minutes to steer the ship home. Aaron was very good against Tipp, quiet Munster final but very good in All Ireland final while Galway set up with a sweeper with the sole intention of stopping him-that's how highly Shane O'Neill rated his influence on Limerick.
Anyway well done to all 9 All-star and hopefully more to come in 2021."
You know, as we're talking about these great Limerick hurlers (and I've swung enough of the stick and kicked the big ball too, in case they Kerry crowd are listening in), the only Limk player that I'd fear-man for man-is Hayes. I'd have no issue going one on one with Lynch or Morrissey's for example.

Hayes is the only player who I think would blow me away (in my prime, mind you). He's a powerful hurler and athlete.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 148 - 21/02/2021 17:00:43    2332306

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "A dog with a mallet is his proverbial could see Cian Lynch getting an AS, if not in one position then the other. Lynch is a bit like Brian Fenton, even when he's not directly on the ball, two or three opponents are still tied down watching him.

You're right about WOD and Dan, though. Limerick getting 10, same with Dubs in football, was never going to happen. O'Donoghue caught the flack for that.

And I too, would pencil in Dan as one of my first names on that Limerick team sheet.

Congratulations Limerick, and long may it continue. Your team is a joy to watch (and f&&k the begrudgers)."
Well said. Completely agree.
Come On Ye Boys in Green.
Onward and Upward.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 22/02/2021 01:19:27    2332380

Link

Replying To updwell:  "Would agree re-WOD, very unlucky consideration he got yhe better of Barron twice in the championship. As for Cian MOTM in Munster final, centre forward against Tipp totally upset Tipp and when the need was greatest against Galway he did 4 or 5 things in the last 20 minutes to steer the ship home. Aaron was very good against Tipp, quiet Munster final but very good in All Ireland final while Galway set up with a sweeper with the sole intention of stopping him-that's how highly Shane O'Neill rated his influence on Limerick.
Anyway well done to all 9 All-star and hopefully more to come in 2021."
Well said also!

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 22/02/2021 01:20:14    2332381

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "You know, as we're talking about these great Limerick hurlers (and I've swung enough of the stick and kicked the big ball too, in case they Kerry crowd are listening in), the only Limk player that I'd fear-man for man-is Hayes. I'd have no issue going one on one with Lynch or Morrissey's for example.

Hayes is the only player who I think would blow me away (in my prime, mind you). He's a powerful hurler and athlete."
Hayes has cut and thrust than can only be described as a force of nature when he surges to forward. Very grateful and absolutely delighted this young man is on my side.
Long may he continue!

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 22/02/2021 01:24:41    2332382

Link

We'll done to Limerick hurlers who won all stars Saturday night. A special congratulations to Gearoid Hegarty on winning his hurler of the year award richly deserved, and also to Nicky Quaid too a guy who soldiered with Limerick through some very dark days, well done all.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 792 - 22/02/2021 12:49:55    2332427

Link

Two players that I'm particularly pleased for are Nicky Quaid for both his service and excellence and for Diarmuid Byrnes who is a firm favorite of mine and an example for a lot of kids to follow.

I'd also like to compliment the Limerick management and squad for the send off they give to Mark Van Drumpt in Ballina on Saturday which was as much as they could do in the current circumstances and which I know was appreciated by his family. His daughter is a friend of one of my own girls.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 22/02/2021 15:40:46    2332452

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "We'll done to Limerick hurlers who won all stars Saturday night. A special congratulations to Gearoid Hegarty on winning his hurler of the year award richly deserved, and also to Nicky Quaid too a guy who soldiered with Limerick through some very dark days, well done all."
Yes Nicky is one of the unsung hero's of limerick hurling, legend of limerick hurling, the players who wore the Jersey with pride and didn't think they owned the.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 528 - 22/02/2021 22:26:58    2332493

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Yes Nicky is one of the unsung hero's of limerick hurling, legend of limerick hurling, the players who wore the Jersey with pride and didn't think they owned the."
Sadly Jack Quaid's death has taken place, RIP. A great Feohanagh and Limerick stalwart and Father of Tommy RIP and Grandfather of Nicky. He was also a well respected referee. The Quaids have made a huge contribution to hurling.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2707 - 23/02/2021 12:51:36    2332533

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Two players that I'm particularly pleased for are Nicky Quaid for both his service and excellence and for Diarmuid Byrnes who is a firm favorite of mine and an example for a lot of kids to follow.

I'd also like to compliment the Limerick management and squad for the send off they give to Mark Van Drumpt in Ballina on Saturday which was as much as they could do in the current circumstances and which I know was appreciated by his family. His daughter is a friend of one of my own girls."
Well said Dealer Nicky and Diarmuid are 2 of the unsung heroes of the Limerick team. If John Kiely ever needed to change captainancy these are 2 of the leading candidates for that job-they lead by example and on and off the field. When was the last time Nicky was at fault for a goal? I honestly can't remember while Diarmuid was one of Limericks top.5 players in all championship matches this year.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 437 - 23/02/2021 18:16:33    2332557

Link

Totally off the point but is there a new jersey launching soon.

c.c.l.g (Limerick) - Posts: 10 - 24/02/2021 07:37:06    2332592

Link

Are limerick getting a new jersey this year

c.c.l.g (Limerick) - Posts: 10 - 24/02/2021 07:58:00    2332595

Link

yes seemingly new jersey coming out this year they are also launching a commemorative jersey to mark 1921 centenary win

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 225 - 24/02/2021 09:31:42    2332603

Link

Replying To updwell:  "Well said Dealer Nicky and Diarmuid are 2 of the unsung heroes of the Limerick team. If John Kiely ever needed to change captainancy these are 2 of the leading candidates for that job-they lead by example and on and off the field. When was the last time Nicky was at fault for a goal? I honestly can't remember while Diarmuid was one of Limericks top.5 players in all championship matches this year."
If the day comes where the captaincy does go from Hannon, Tom Morrissey would be my call. He has captained the under 21s to an All Ireland. At 22 years of age he elequently announced we're not worried about the past, we're going to make our own history. Richie McCarthy couldn't believe this young fella when he called him out for saying "hopefully we will win instead" of we will win.
His general play is so unselfish. (All Ireland 2020) Yes he has been quieter an odd time on the scoresheet but never stops working for the team. Creates as well as scores. If things aren't in going on song it's Tom that literally puts the hand up to accept responsibility and claim the next ball (e.g V Kilkenny, after Hogan scored the goal, V Galway in semi this year when the team hadn't settled at the start and again at the very end when Galway got close)
Tom Morrissey- A captain in the making

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 222 - 27/02/2021 11:45:15    2332885

Link

Replying To Mads:  "If the day comes where the captaincy does go from Hannon, Tom Morrissey would be my call. He has captained the under 21s to an All Ireland. At 22 years of age he elequently announced we're not worried about the past, we're going to make our own history. Richie McCarthy couldn't believe this young fella when he called him out for saying "hopefully we will win instead" of we will win.
His general play is so unselfish. (All Ireland 2020) Yes he has been quieter an odd time on the scoresheet but never stops working for the team. Creates as well as scores. If things aren't in going on song it's Tom that literally puts the hand up to accept responsibility and claim the next ball (e.g V Kilkenny, after Hogan scored the goal, V Galway in semi this year when the team hadn't settled at the start and again at the very end when Galway got close)
Tom Morrissey- A captain in the making"
Would agree completely with Tom Morrissey.

Will O'Donoghue is another who strikes me as a leader of men and a guy who leads by example. There is a fantastic character throughout the Limerick team. Attitude really is everything and the foundation for success.

Declan Hannon is still a young man and please god he'll be able to continue to lead for the foreseeable future, he's been immense and a captain to be proud of.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 192 - 01/03/2021 11:46:25    2333148

Link