Monaghan Forum

El Clasico 2020 Monaghan Vs Cavan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To germac:  "I have never heard as much yapping about a team going out of the C ship as much in all my life, All this bad mouthing about Banty, Not a word about players missing handy scores ,defending properly ect ,I would also bet if any of you meet Banty or any of the players you would be like lambs, Not as if your serial winners like,"
All right fella. Some good discussions on the Down forum, though you seem more occupied with the Monaghan one. What part of Down you from again????

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 04/11/2020 22:24:10    2305231

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "Just had a lovely dream this morning, that the group that was set up to find the best man to replace Banty were lined up and shot with a ball of their own dung and the county chairman was given 50 lashes in front of the courthouse.. dare to dream"
Grow up kid.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 139 - 05/11/2020 00:21:05    2305244

Link

Replying To germac:  "I have never heard as much yapping about a team going out of the C ship as much in all my life, All this bad mouthing about Banty, Not a word about players missing handy scores ,defending properly ect ,I would also bet if any of you meet Banty or any of the players you would be like lambs, Not as if your serial winners like,"
Fair enough comment , but you probably don't understand not being from this county that the vast majority of any wanted McEneaney back , his cv in management is atrocious, he was handed an already made u17 team and that's about it , the amount of people in this county and I mean going to the grass roots of clubs , the care takers the ticket sellers , everyone that grafts to keep clubs going and all the county board could come up with to show case all the good that's done by clubs throughout the county was this farce of a manager , I certainly won't be a lamb when I meet him or the few that caused this and I'm sure there will be plenty others like me .One thing for sure this is not the players fault .

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 134 - 05/11/2020 07:27:35    2305249

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "Fair enough comment , but you probably don't understand not being from this county that the vast majority of any wanted McEneaney back , his cv in management is atrocious, he was handed an already made u17 team and that's about it , the amount of people in this county and I mean going to the grass roots of clubs , the care takers the ticket sellers , everyone that grafts to keep clubs going and all the county board could come up with to show case all the good that's done by clubs throughout the county was this farce of a manager , I certainly won't be a lamb when I meet him or the few that caused this and I'm sure there will be plenty others like me .One thing for sure this is not the players fault ."
As much as I didn't and still don't agree with the banty appointment and his decision making last week you can't ignore the fact the players were poor too last week from the 2nd half onwards, missing chances, not tracking runners (Cavan goal). They had 35 mins and Mcmanus had chances which weren't converted, that's how it is. Yes there was a strong wind but Cavan too had it and when the game was there to be got at they done that.

2 points from play and they were both from defenders fisting it over. I agree with a lot with what has been said in regard to the management (minus that stupid comment about lashes outside the courthouse) but you can't ignore the fact we didn't play well and didn't execute. players have to take blame here too. I love these players and everything they do for the Monaghan cause but I'm calling it as it is, be very silly to say they weren't at fault too.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 05/11/2020 13:44:15    2305320

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "As much as I didn't and still don't agree with the banty appointment and his decision making last week you can't ignore the fact the players were poor too last week from the 2nd half onwards, missing chances, not tracking runners (Cavan goal). They had 35 mins and Mcmanus had chances which weren't converted, that's how it is. Yes there was a strong wind but Cavan too had it and when the game was there to be got at they done that.

2 points from play and they were both from defenders fisting it over. I agree with a lot with what has been said in regard to the management (minus that stupid comment about lashes outside the courthouse) but you can't ignore the fact we didn't play well and didn't execute. players have to take blame here too. I love these players and everything they do for the Monaghan cause but I'm calling it as it is, be very silly to say they weren't at fault too."
I can't agree with you , they were learned a game plan in training by the management, that's their job , player moral , leadership, mixed messages from the line all contributed to what happened last Saturday, Super bunch of players that were miss leaded ...

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 134 - 05/11/2020 15:01:06    2305342

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "I can't agree with you , they were learned a game plan in training by the management, that's their job , player moral , leadership, mixed messages from the line all contributed to what happened last Saturday, Super bunch of players that were miss leaded ..."
I can't agree with you either, it's simple really the players didn't want it enough. Is it his fault we tried protect a lead for 35 plus mins in the manner we did? Yes. Is it his fault he made the subs he did? Yes. But it isn't his fault Beggan went long down the middle where Galligan was cleaning up, McKiernan grew into the game. Where did O'Connell, McAnespie, Kieran Hughes go?

If they learned a game plan in training then why could they not implement it. Cavan still walked through us and we stood and watched as they kicked from distance and cleaned us out in midfield. I don't see how you can't see that the players can't be somewhat at fault here. Game was crying out for a leader to grab it by the scruff of the neck and see it out be it getting scores or shoring it up. Players didn't want it enough simple as.

As aforementioned terrible attitude from manager who is to blame but if you're to tell me that 15 plus subs who played didn't have 35 plus minutes to see a game out and have a say in the result being 7 up then you need to be more realistic. Both sides are at fault. Super bunch of players but Cavan wanted this one more.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 05/11/2020 16:18:30    2305375

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "Fair enough comment , but you probably don't understand not being from this county that the vast majority of any wanted McEneaney back , his cv in management is atrocious, he was handed an already made u17 team and that's about it , the amount of people in this county and I mean going to the grass roots of clubs , the care takers the ticket sellers , everyone that grafts to keep clubs going and all the county board could come up with to show case all the good that's done by clubs throughout the county was this farce of a manager , I certainly won't be a lamb when I meet him or the few that caused this and I'm sure there will be plenty others like me .One thing for sure this is not the players fault ."
Look , im not getting the boot into Monaghan here , definitely not, I just think some of the comments are a bit , ott, I take all the points you make , but players have to shoulder the blame as well, Were all in this together and all that craic ,
We might be goin mad here come Sunday evening ,who knows, and if were not good enough , i hope our crowd take it on the chin ,and move on quietly

germac (Down) - Posts: 295 - 05/11/2020 19:41:14    2305429

Link

I'm fully of the opinion that all the blame for this one rests with the manager. You can't put the blame on the players when 2 guys who are doing very well are subbed, as are 2 that are doing quite well. That's over a quarter of the team. And one of them was brought back on. If management thought he wasn't playing well why bring him back on? If he was playing well, why take him off?

A game plan that effectively has 6+ Monaghan players not going to be directly involved in the second half is asking for trouble. Half the team is going to be knackered, the other half will go cold and get frustrated. Then compounding it by taking off players who actually played well in the first half and removing all the pace from the attack, against the wind. How was this ever going to work? Cavan are not very good apart from the midfield, they're not some sleeping giant that has to be tip-toed around. Monaghan should have demolished them in the first 10 minutes of the second half. No wonder McManus was missing his shots, he knows it's going to be the same old story for the next few years. If the players had confidence in the sideline before Saturday, probably doubtful, then I'm sure they don't have it now. First the attempt to disparage MOR, then this fiasco.

As for the Cavan goal, if I recall correctly Monaghan were down to 14 at that stage and the defence has been playing way too much ball due to the "tactics". Apart from Kearns too many of the better players were on the bench. Kearns not being fully fit didn't help either but I thought he did OK when he came in considering. He won the two throw-ins he was involved in and got Monaghan on the front foot for both halves of extra-time.

Even the best teams have off days, but the best teams always control the things that they have power over. That means proper management, preparation, no panic, correct subs etc. The frustration here is that Monaghan have for some reason picked a manager that is going to be a hazard and that means Monaghan are likely to be vulnerable no matter who they are playing.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 05/11/2020 22:46:33    2305469

Link

After watching a small bit of the election coverage in the US over the past few days, a striking similarity came to my mind.
Banty is Monaghan GAA's version of Donald Trump.

In 2010 after the clubs voted him out he failed to leave in a dignified manner and called foul of democracy of the clubs, claiming the clubs were going against the wishes of the players.

Its never his fault went things go wrong, stupid players going into the Cavan Web.

In Meath the Majority of the clubs voted to remove him but he held on due the clubs failing to reach the two thirds majority, a bit like Hillary Clinton winning the popular vote in 2016 but losing due to the strange rules (college votes)

2019 The majority of Monaghan supporters thought no way could the county board appoint him as manager, as he was so unpopular and unproved in the biggest job in the county. A bit like the majority of world thinking no way can the US vote in a reality tv star as president of the United States.

Then when he gets the job, you hope he listens to the men behind the scenes but unfortunately he doesn't which ends in dire consequences.
And when the time comes to leave again, he will do everything in his power to hang on.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 06/11/2020 16:50:27    2305634

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "After watching a small bit of the election coverage in the US over the past few days, a striking similarity came to my mind.

In 2010 after the clubs voted him out he failed to leave in a dignified manner and called foul of democracy of the clubs, claiming the clubs were going against the wishes of the players.

Its never his fault went things go wrong, stupid players going into the Cavan Web.

In Meath the Majority of the clubs voted to remove him but he held on due the clubs failing to reach the two thirds majority, a bit like Hillary Clinton winning the popular vote in 2016 but losing due to the strange rules (college votes)

2019 The majority of Monaghan supporters thought no way could the county board appoint him as manager, as he was so unpopular and unproved in the biggest job in the county. A bit like the majority of world thinking no way can the US vote in a reality tv star as president of the United States.

Then when he gets the job, you hope he listens to the men behind the scenes but unfortunately he doesn't which ends in dire consequences.
And when the time comes to leave again, he will do everything in his power to hang on."
Accurate.

Stories of migrants being held in torrid conditions create another link possibly?

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 4380 - 06/11/2020 20:35:34    2305686

Link

Peter Canavan with ricey mc menamin, or mc colmcille with the mc entees, either be great replacements for the job

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 06/11/2020 21:36:15    2305700

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "Accurate.

Stories of migrants being held in torrid conditions create another link possibly?"
Don't know how you got that one in fella :)

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 06/11/2020 22:12:06    2305710

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Peter Canavan with ricey mc menamin, or mc colmcille with the mc entees, either be great replacements for the job"
Canavan has an even worse record than Banty. He was also the second man in charge in Scotstown in 2019 I believe. The only year they didn't win the championship!

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 90 - 06/11/2020 23:16:39    2305720

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "After watching a small bit of the election coverage in the US over the past few days, a striking similarity came to my mind.

And when the time comes to leave again, he will do everything in his power to hang on."
Was going to post something similar but its worse than trump as at least he is being voted out. Banty is going nowhere. I posted here last year that during the o rourke years of relative success people assumed county board were doing a great job ambitious etc but that the banty appointment which still makes no sense showed them up for how small time they were and how they just got lucky with o rourke. I dont know what is going on with the County board that they were impressed by banty and his bluster but it strikes me he has some sort of hold over them whether that is the sponsorship deal or whatever have no idea but for monaghan supporters its v worrying. The embarrassing spectacle we saw last weekend is only the start if banty stays on.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1515 - 07/11/2020 07:11:12    2305737

Link

So Kerry gone, Tyrone gone and who's to say one of Mayo or Dublin won't slip up next. Some team is going to benefit from this and with Monaghan being on the handy side of the draw in Ulster it could well have been them. Doors open for teams every year but you have to be able to take advantage of them. First thing is don't beat yourself, but thanks to the inept tatics we're going to watch someone else take advantage. Same old story.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 08/11/2020 18:30:46    2306211

Link

At least the #BantyOut brigade will be silenced now for a while anyway or at least until possibly our next defeat. He is in Cloghan tonight at training with the lads preparing for the McKenna Cup campaign. Good to see the county board are backing him and his team after all the backlash from 'supporters' on social media

farneyfan123 (Monaghan) - Posts: 4 - 10/11/2020 20:14:54    2307344

Link

Replying To farneyfan123:  "At least the #BantyOut brigade will be silenced now for a while anyway or at least until possibly our next defeat. He is in Cloghan tonight at training with the lads preparing for the McKenna Cup campaign. Good to see the county board are backing him and his team after all the backlash from 'supporters' on social media"
Phew that's a relief, was worried they might not be ready for the challenge. Wouldn't do to let any of those colleges get a head start on us.

Are we to take it that one must back McEneaney to be considered real Monaghan supporters, just like there are those that say if one voted Trump they are real Americans.

Did you or anyone else bother to look at the players we used for the last 8 competitive games, league and championship, and, all the new talent that was actually given game time? Have a look at the players actually used before spouting the usual BS about young players been given a chance and
developing a new team. It was MOR's team used and flogged to death. Merry Christmas

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 831 - 11/11/2020 10:52:47    2307476

Link

Replying To farneyfan123:  "At least the #BantyOut brigade will be silenced now for a while anyway or at least until possibly our next defeat. He is in Cloghan tonight at training with the lads preparing for the McKenna Cup campaign. Good to see the county board are backing him and his team after all the backlash from 'supporters' on social media"
"Preparing for a McKenna Cup campaign". That made me laugh. This is what Banty's going to do next year. Make a burst early in the season to try and win games to deflect from the mess of the Cavan game. Exhaust his aging squad again. Cling onto Div One status despite Donegal and Tyrone both winning Ulster championships from Div 2 in recent years. And fail again next summer. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Also there wasn't a big #Bantyout campaign but most realise the utter futility of that happening. He's going to be in charge for the foreseeable future and extinguish the dying embers of this once in a lifetime generation of players. Why? Because he is not, and has never been, capable of managing at this level.
In fairness to him he has fooled a lot of people in this country. Only ones who know the truth are us, Meath and Wexford.
Terry Hyland just committed to Leitrim for 2021. I'd have him ahead of Banty, and they are in Div 4 next year.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 11/11/2020 13:36:50    2307585

Link

Am suprised a managerial great like Banty has committed again so soon and is not keeping his options open with jobs like the tyrone Post soon to become available. God help us we are struck with him. Poster above is right id have Terry Hyland above him least he knows his limitations and doesn't consider himself a tactical genius like our Banty.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1515 - 12/11/2020 08:41:53    2307854

Link

Banty for Tyrone. Please.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 399 - 12/11/2020 13:27:13    2307963

Link