Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Fergal horgan tipp man to ref final, Liam Cahill tipp man managing Waterford... GAA haven't thought this one through. Has anyone else reservations about this especially with the pic doing the rounds where both lads are pictured side by side hurling together years ago!!"
Fergal Horgan & Liam Cahill played on the same team for Tipp (theres a picture of the programme doing the rounds on twitter - not sure what year), Horgan in goals & Cahill centre forward. Horgan also roomed with Michael Bevans in WIT. Serious conflict of interest.

biro (Limerick) - Posts: 10 - 10/12/2020 13:12:49    2321026

Link

Replying To biro:  "Fergal Horgan & Liam Cahill played on the same team for Tipp (theres a picture of the programme doing the rounds on twitter - not sure what year), Horgan in goals & Cahill centre forward. Horgan also roomed with Michael Bevans in WIT. Serious conflict of interest."
I don't believe that the ref will want to be the difference between any side winning or losing. My guess is that he's going to let them at it and the strongest will win. It is a pressure that Horgan could do without but no ref is going to say no to an All Ireland final and he deserves it based on year to date.

It also puts the comments made by Liam Sheedy is context. He owes Johnny Murphy a sincere apology for those remarks. The reality is that if Johnny wanted to help Limerick, he's have NOT sent off Cathal Barrett.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 10/12/2020 14:42:19    2321058

Link

Bottom line we can't be depending on a referee to win an all Ireland final.
Referee's make mistakes and the odd poor decision they are human, ie the 65 we should have had v KK last year, would we have went on to win it? Possibly but was that the reason we lost ? No.
If they come out of the blocks straight away and play like we know they can no referee will matter.
Can't wait just hope the rain holds off for a cracker of a game.
Looking forward to seeing the minors and twenties out this weekend too, Tg4 bless you.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 10/12/2020 21:10:00    2321190

Link

Let's not mention Horgan and all of the silliness about bias etc. Sheedy's comments were a nonsense a few weeks ago and let's not go to that level. Horgan will do his best.

I'm quietly confident for Sunday. I think pound for pound we are a bit better than Waterford. They have some great players but collectively we are stronger. I think we'll get a good performance from the lads and it'll be enough to get them over the line. It also helped that Waterford finished so strongly against Kilkenny as it dampened expectations for Limerick a little and that's no bad thing. Since the All Ireland series in 2018, Limerick have only really failed during the first 20 minutes in the loss to Kilkenny last year. They have faced and won every other challenge that has come their way and I trust them to find a way to win Liam for a second time on Sunday!

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 10/12/2020 22:33:59    2321229

Link

Replying To biro:  "Fergal Horgan & Liam Cahill played on the same team for Tipp (theres a picture of the programme doing the rounds on twitter - not sure what year), Horgan in goals & Cahill centre forward. Horgan also roomed with Michael Bevans in WIT. Serious conflict of interest."
Horgan didn't help Waterford very much in the semi-final - at times, it looked like the opposite!

football first (None) - Posts: 1211 - 11/12/2020 11:08:59    2321299

Link

Replying To football first:  "Horgan didn't help Waterford very much in the semi-final - at times, it looked like the opposite!"
The team and management need to totally ignore the hype and the favourites tag and go at it hammer and tongs from the get go. Only a totally committed performance on the field and shrewd allocation of our bench off it will win this one. Waterford have performed very well in the last two matches and many of their players have Minor amd U21 All Irelands. This definitely game and people ignore the 2/5 nonsense.
If Gullane is not 100% fit he should not be played. Best to all three Limerick teams over the weekend

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 11/12/2020 15:19:21    2321373

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "The team and management need to totally ignore the hype and the favourites tag and go at it hammer and tongs from the get go. Only a totally committed performance on the field and shrewd allocation of our bench off it will win this one. Waterford have performed very well in the last two matches and many of their players have Minor amd U21 All Irelands. This definitely game and people ignore the 2/5 nonsense.
If Gullane is not 100% fit he should not be played. Best to all three Limerick teams over the weekend"
Above should have said this is definitely a 50/50 game and people should ignore the2/5 nonsense Best of luck to all three Limerick teams at the weekend.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 11/12/2020 16:30:59    2321387

Link

I'd agree oldtourman,odds are ridiculous..best of luck to the 3 hurling teams and our minor footballers aswell..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 11/12/2020 16:56:30    2321391

Link

Same team as the semi final. Maybe Kiely feels it's time to have a more settled team. Was always going to be hard on whichever corner forward lost out but we need a top quality sub like Peter Casey to come in. Flanagan didn't start in the Munster final and I think his physicality and running up front will give Waterford something to think about. Darragh O Donovan didn't have a great accuracy shooting the last day but he got on a rake of ball. I think having a game under the belt after disruption with injuries will stand to him.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 11/12/2020 21:46:56    2321473

Link

Best of luck to the Limerick seniors on Sunday. I'll admit I'm nervous as I am excited for this final, as Waterford have improved a good bit since the Munster final and they seem to be able to score goals easier than Limerick. I was very impressed with the Waterford half forward line in the 2nd half against Kilkenny with the high ball they won and their speed to get away from their men.

I think Waterford will put Austin Gleeson centre forward to try and upset Declan Hannon's loose sweeping game. Sean Finn has a big job trying to mark and curtail Dessie Hutchinson. Cian Lynch can't let Tadhg de Burca lord it like he did in the 2nd half against Kilkenny. John Kiely should put the challenge to Aaron Gillane if he has the ambition of being 1 of the country's top forwards, this is the stage to go out and prove it.

Also best of luck to the other Limerick teams playing this weekend hopefully it will be a great weekend all round for us.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 12/12/2020 07:49:02    2321511

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Best of luck to the Limerick seniors on Sunday. I'll admit I'm nervous as I am excited for this final, as Waterford have improved a good bit since the Munster final and they seem to be able to score goals easier than Limerick. I was very impressed with the Waterford half forward line in the 2nd half against Kilkenny with the high ball they won and their speed to get away from their men.

I think Waterford will put Austin Gleeson centre forward to try and upset Declan Hannon's loose sweeping game. Sean Finn has a big job trying to mark and curtail Dessie Hutchinson. Cian Lynch can't let Tadhg de Burca lord it like he did in the 2nd half against Kilkenny. John Kiely should put the challenge to Aaron Gillane if he has the ambition of being 1 of the country's top forwards, this is the stage to go out and prove it.

Also best of luck to the other Limerick teams playing this weekend hopefully it will be a great weekend all round for us."
Agree entirely with all of that. It was probably no harm that Waterford left the cat out the bag the last day. Hopefully that was their biggest performance of the year. We did not start well against Galway even though everyone felt it won't happen in another semi final. Vital that we come out with serious intensity from the off & put Waterford on the backfoot early on. If we don't they won't have any doubts and will get some serious confidence. While we did not win in 2019 we had some of our best performances ever. We just didn't have consistency. Against Clare & Tipp in Munster final. The boys tore at them from the start and didn't let up. They couldn't settle into the game. I would love that tomorrow.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 12/12/2020 09:28:24    2321522

Link

Best of luck to everyone involved. This is a massive opportunity for Limerick to build on 2018 and to evolve into a dominant side. My hope is that we can attack the Waterford full back line and get goals. Our half back line as always needs to hold their positions and provide us with the launch pad. Puck outs are crucial both ways and I'm sure that Limerick will have studied Waterford effectively.

I'm very, very nervous about this game but my head says that Limerick will win well. I believe that Waterford are getting built up in the media because Limerick didn't blow them out of the Munster final and because of the come back against KK. However we saw Dublin do the exact same thing to KK in this championship. I think that KK have diminished significantly and that line of form is debatable. I'm expecting Limerick to turn up today and give a dominant performance. But we play the games for a reason and things can go wrong on any given Sunday. I just wish this match was over and I'd take a 1 point win without hesitation right now.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 13/12/2020 12:21:56    2321837

Link

Well done Limerick I'm absolutely buzzing.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 13/12/2020 17:32:19    2321976

Link

I'm so happy tonight..I'd have been happy seeing the one,but 2 is dream stuff..ye are a credit to all involved and have shortened the winter for all of us..thanks to all of ye..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 13/12/2020 17:53:19    2322001

Link

Three now in my life time so far, so proud its been such a privilege to have watched these lads from minor up to being all Ireland champions. Best limerick squad I've ever seen and very importantly they will inspire the players of the future.
Ps congrats to the minor squad yesterday on a great win and well done to the 20s on a tough battle pushing it to extra time although coming up short in the end. Ye will be back.

Time to enjoy being champions now Luimneach Abu.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 13/12/2020 18:28:22    2322032

Link

In heaven. Super performance by a brilliant team. So well deserved. Saved the best until last. Even to hear that the great Kilkenny team didn't win every game in a season is something else

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 13/12/2020 18:36:51    2322036

Link

I remember being so despondent after we lost to Kilkenny in 2017, had played Clare before that in munster and lost both games.
Championship over.

2 games I felt we should have won. But in typical Limerick fashion let them slip away...

I was so negative at the start of 2018 i was actually afraid we were going to slide down the ladder and end up like Offaly. My God was I wrong..

One of earliest memories I have as a child was seeing limerick lose to Galway in the 1980 final. Like a lot of people on here the misery of supporting limerick through the barren years meant that I had become cynical about ever seeing us win an all Ireland.
I genuinely felt that I would never be fortunate enough to see us lift the Liam Mccarthy cup.

Now, we've done it twice in 3 years... There are no words to describe how happy I feel. How privileged to see a Limerick team dominate and win like the team of the 30s.
Thank you so much John Kiely and everyone involved in Limerick hurling.
These are great days.. Luimneach Abu!!

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 13/12/2020 19:41:38    2322073

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Limerick I'm absolutely buzzing."
Well done to a grand side. We older supporters that have followed the Green and White for years thought we would never see the day

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 13/12/2020 20:00:00    2322083

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well done to a grand side. We older supporters that have followed the Green and White for years thought we would never see the day"
We've met each other Oldtourman at league games when there was barely a thousand there and you had a 2 or 3 hour drive to get there. There will be a lot of fair weather fans for a few years to come I suspect but no one could ever level that accusation at you. Sincere congratulations to you and people like you who have always been there. These are great days let's hope there's a few more to come. Up the treaty. Looking forward to seeing you as soon as possible in Gaelic Grounds. God bless and happy Xmas

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 13/12/2020 21:00:20    2322135

Link

After all the years its wonderful to win two in three years,they won this one in some style today,played almost to their full potential and did it on AI final day.Three now won in my lifetime too,it makes up for a lot of tough days in my lifetime supporting the green and white.Looking forward to being able to attend games again and witness those guys in the green and white running out onto the pitch,even the worst days it always excited me.Limerick Abu.
This Waterford team are an excellent team but came up against a LImerick team at the peak of their powers today.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 14/12/2020 00:06:09    2322181

Link