Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To clooney:  "Havent seen Clare Management play much tactics they play a much more conventional game now,

Limerick are overwhelming favourites for this game would have won last years All Ireland but I believe dident manage team as well as they might too loyal to some players against an average enough KK on the day will ahrdly make same mistake 2 years in a row"
Kk were not average on the day. They were excellent. But yes you are right kiely should have made changes earlier. He wont make that mistake again.

I'd imagine Clare will use some tactics to counter a team who are overwhelming favourites as you say. Surely anything less is not doing the panel justice??

This will be anything but easy for limerick. Clare will be prepared and know limericks strengths. The whole country does. Clare to win will need goals and and with a potential FF line of o Donnell cunningham and shanagher , the potential is there.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 22/10/2020 17:32:54    2300304

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "My views of Dan playing full back are informed by the same memories. To be fair, Callinan is an exceptional full forward and I'd expect that Dan is a more experienced operator now than back then. It is a concern and an anomaly that for such a big team that our full back line are not that tall and we have conceded goals from route 1 balls in recent campaigns. Maybe Dan could help sort that issue. I believe he's going to be picked at full back regardless of my concerns and he's had time to prepare so I hope it goes well for him."
Agree height has been an issue with the fullback line. This was clearly shown in the league game against Cork with Casey, Finn and Costello playing. When Cork tried to go through the boys defended at their ease. However once they threw Aidan Walsh on they played more direct and the game turned on its head quickly. It's a simple tactic but very effective. It's been a worry regardless of injuries.

Another poster made a few interesting points regarding Boylan. If he's not a natural corner back then hopefully he can become one. Even if our first 3 weren't injured we don't really have depth in that area. It's a pity he doesn't have county experience in that position but I suspect he might be forced to soon, even providing bench cover at the very least

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 22/10/2020 18:56:37    2300330

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "Kk were not average on the day. They were excellent. But yes you are right kiely should have made changes earlier. He wont make that mistake again.

I'd imagine Clare will use some tactics to counter a team who are overwhelming favourites as you say. Surely anything less is not doing the panel justice??

This will be anything but easy for limerick. Clare will be prepared and know limericks strengths. The whole country does. Clare to win will need goals and and with a potential FF line of o Donnell cunningham and shanagher , the potential is there."
Also expect Clare to bring a Kilkenny ( or even Brian Lohan ) type of intensity from the get -go and it seems like we are already forewarned about this and hopefully prepared accordingly.

Quaid
Finn Dan Costello
Byrnes Hannon O ' Loughlin
Cian WOD
Tom Kyle Gearoid
Gillane Flanagan Graeme

Next 5 ( assuming Richie and Condon still on injured l

Peter, Darragh, Nash , Reidy, Dempsey,

Come On Ye Boys in Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 22/10/2020 21:35:49    2300375

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "I'd be shocked if Boylan starts. a) he's not a natural corner back as you suggest - he's played center back all his life with every age group, NaP play him in the corner because they have Ronan Lynch and Mike Casey in the middle and b) he's never played more than a few minutes here and there for Limerick. If the u20 goes ahead I'd expect him to play 6, dont expect him to get much game time for the senior team in 2020."
I don't buy the argument that because he was underage a centre back, he won't make a county corner back. Most exceptional underage players are in central positions, not in the corners. Richie English is Doon's centre back. He has now earned lots of experience as a senior corner back with Nap and has proven he is quality in that position so to me, he definitely is a prospect there for us.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 23/10/2020 08:07:53    2300414

Link

Is the a chance kiely has one eye on the the tipp game( I know he'd never admit it)and uses his squad like he did against tipp in the round Robin last year we have the strength in depth in all line bar the full back line
Quaid
Finn Dan costello
Nash hannon paddy
Wod dod
Tom Hayes boylen
Mulcahy Flanagan gillane
And then unleash lynch Byrnes hego casey dempsy riedy from the bench and from the start fresh against tipp.

AlriteBoyRelax (Limerick) - Posts: 93 - 23/10/2020 11:12:16    2300444

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I don't buy the argument that because he was underage a centre back, he won't make a county corner back. Most exceptional underage players are in central positions, not in the corners. Richie English is Doon's centre back. He has now earned lots of experience as a senior corner back with Nap and has proven he is quality in that position so to me, he definitely is a prospect there for us."
Read my post again, I never said he wont make a county corner back, I said I'd be shocked if he started Sunday or got much game time this year. He may well be a good corner back for Limerick in years to come but he's had very little exposure at league / Munster league level at corner back, I think others in the squad are above him in the pecking order for the full back line this year.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 23/10/2020 11:41:56    2300455

Link

Replying To AlriteBoyRelax:  "Is the a chance kiely has one eye on the the tipp game( I know he'd never admit it)and uses his squad like he did against tipp in the round Robin last year we have the strength in depth in all line bar the full back line
Quaid
Finn Dan costello
Nash hannon paddy
Wod dod
Tom Hayes boylen
Mulcahy Flanagan gillane
And then unleash lynch Byrnes hego casey dempsy riedy from the bench and from the start fresh against tipp."
One eye on Tipp? Not a hope any Limerick manager would ever write off Clare in a knockout fixture

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1113 - 23/10/2020 11:42:31    2300456

Link

quaid
finn
dan
nash
byrnes
hannon
wod
darragh
cian
tom
hayes
hego
peter
gillane
Mulcahy

cappajoe (Limerick) - Posts: 33 - 23/10/2020 11:45:19    2300457

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "One eye on Tipp? Not a hope any Limerick manager would ever write off Clare in a knockout fixture"
I never said write off clare that team or any variation of it would be good enough to beat anybody. Also its not knockout John kiely himself said they would gladly take a second chance if needed

AlriteBoyRelax (Limerick) - Posts: 93 - 23/10/2020 12:08:06    2300463

Link

Never. ever underestimate Clare in championship. They play even better when the odds are against them.
Remember Ennis in 2018 and 1993, Thurles in 1995. They were regarded underdogs in these games, yet literally blew us away. Look what they did to Cork in Cusack last year.
Only a whisker away from beating Galway in 2018, which actually exposed a few Galway weaknesses for us to exploit in the final.

hamstring (Limerick) - Posts: 314 - 23/10/2020 14:08:44    2300517

Link

This will be a battle royal on Sunday,make no mistake about it.Clare have great form from their league performances coming into this game....I know it was months ago but same for Limerick.Clare unbeaten in their group which included KK. Limerick haven't a great record in winning in Semple Stadium if my memory serves me.Am really looking fwd to it...it will be hammer and thongs all the way and nothing in it in the end.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 23/10/2020 14:51:41    2300539

Link

Not a hope of kiely looking beyond Clare on Saturday night..Clare I'm sure would love to get one over this limerick team,especially after the hiding last year..Clare look like naming a very strong forward 6 and go after limerick..how they cope with our forwards will be very interesting..what we do know is Browne will follow gillane and discipline will be vital..I'm expecting a really tough physical game and hope limerick pull through by maybe 3 or 4 points..I just hope the weather won't play a major part in deciding the result..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 23/10/2020 17:45:22    2300585

Link

Dan Morrissey named full back and Barry Nash named corner back it will be a challenge for Barry Nash to stay that bit tighter to his man but if any of the Clare full forward line roams out the field Nash will follow them. Byrnes needs a good game while he has a fantastic strike of a ball he has to get more accurate with his shooting. I think main battle of the game will be Cian Lynch vs Tony Kelly, Kelly in my opinion is the heartbeat and the main link between backs and forwards on the Clare team if you curb his influence you go a long way in beating them.

I think we have a good bench named too Jerome Boylan and Ronan Connolly will probably cover the full back line with Condon and Costello injured. Adrian Breen will hopefully take over the super sub role from Shane Dowling.

I'll finish by wishing players and management team the best of luck, wish we could be there.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 23/10/2020 21:56:35    2300633

Link

Limerick (Munster SHC v Clare): Nickie Quaid; Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Paddy O'Loughlin; Cian Lynch, Will O'Donoghue; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Graeme Mulcahy, Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey.

Subs: Barry Hennessy, Conor Boylan, Jerome Boylan, Adrian Breen, Ronan Connolly, Seamus Flanagan, Robbie Hanley, Darragh O'Donovan, Brian O'Grady, David Reidy, Pat Ryan

No English on the bench,am nervous,who are the defensive options on the bench lads?

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 23/10/2020 23:23:32    2300651

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "Limerick (Munster SHC v Clare): Nickie Quaid; Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Paddy O'Loughlin; Cian Lynch, Will O'Donoghue; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Graeme Mulcahy, Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey.

Subs: Barry Hennessy, Conor Boylan, Jerome Boylan, Adrian Breen, Ronan Connolly, Seamus Flanagan, Robbie Hanley, Darragh O'Donovan, Brian O'Grady, David Reidy, Pat Ryan

No English on the bench,am nervous,who are the defensive options on the bench lads?"
Looks like Boylan and Connolly

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 23/10/2020 23:35:23    2300653

Link

Well we have the line up. A lot of posters are right with the prediction of Barry Nash as corner back.
Not going to pretend I saw the first team coming.
Personally if Nash was in Kiely's head for the corner position I thought he'd put Finn full back and another corner back who has experience in that position at least at club level like Costello who actually had played the full league. While Dan and Nash are proven hurlers, they don't have a pile of experience in the full back line. To put the two lads starting together is a real leap of faith which I hope will be rewarded. Dan definitely gives a height advantage back there, hopefully it works out.
O'Loughlin has shown brilliant form with UCC in particular so I think the half backline is still decent.
Midfield up we are our usual selves. Hope dempsey's knock doesn't rule him out of too many more games he's a real goal scoring threat. I think I'd prefer Flanagan starting than being on the bench. Hard to look past Mulcahy and Casey's form in the club's but if either of those two came on after Flanagan putting in a decent shift I think we would have serious impact off the bench.
Our bench at the moment is looking a bit green experience wise.
Does anyone know if Costello is injured? Just surprised he didn't even make the bench especially when he had so many league games under his belt.
In fairness to Kiely and kinnerk they have to pick who's going well in training.
Can't wait for Sunday. Best of luck to all.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 23/10/2020 23:52:00    2300657

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "Limerick (Munster SHC v Clare): Nickie Quaid; Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Paddy O'Loughlin; Cian Lynch, Will O'Donoghue; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Graeme Mulcahy, Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey.

No English on the bench,am nervous,who are the defensive options on the bench lads?"
Is Costello injured or just not make the squad? Jerome and o grady covers the full back and o dovonan or o donoghue can play in hb line with some rejigging if necessary. I'd be more worry if it was Tipp but thats definitely a strong 15 with good attaching options from bench so I'm confident for tomorrow.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 24/10/2020 04:47:43    2300670

Link

Is Dempsey also injured?

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 24/10/2020 04:49:34    2300671

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Is Dempsey also injured?"
On the leader it said he was ruled out due to a knock

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 24/10/2020 08:46:49    2300676

Link

Very strong team. My first impression is kiely has picked the team on experience and to counter the potential aerial threat of shanagher and Cunningham . The 6 backs are all physically imposing men and above 6 foot. Kiely might have felt it a stretch to play finn out of his position coupled with two starters in inter county championship terms in the full back line in nash and Costello. Costello might even be injured seeing as he is not in 26.

Dan morrissey is a much more experienced, rounded hurler than he was when TJ tried him FB a few years ago. His physical presence will be needed sunday in the FB line with mike out and further on in the championship. Limericks strength in depth is shown here that we have lost 2 star defenders in Casey and English but can bring back dan and nash and still slot POL in wing back. It's an imposing back line imo.

Midfield will be fine. WOD is playing so well it was a question of who partners him rather than who partners lynch. Mulcahy and Casey's incredible club form has been rewarded with both in team. DOD was someone I thought might be used as a 3rd midfielder but not sunday.

With condon Dempsey and presumably costello carrying knocks the bench looks a bit light esp in the backs in experience terms. That said DOD Flanagan Hanley Boylan Ryan can all add that physicality and scoring ability in last 20 mins if needed.

Tactically it will be interesting. I do still think Clare will go long to test that fb line aerially and limerick have picked 3 men in the FB line who are all comfortable under the high ball. Hannon will drop in front of Dan with WOD occupying that space left. The HF line will be very mobile all day Sunday covering the ground from hb line up to support the front 2 of mul and gillane with Casey around the 40.

This will require intense work rate but that's the hallmark of limerick since 17. Limerick will be forced to shoot from distance at times but with the HB line in place they can all score. POL brings another scoring threat from HB line that Dan Morrissey wouldn't normally.

Limerick will work the ball through the lines as theyve done in last few years. That off the shoulder runner will be key esp the HF line and midfield to support what will be an outnumbered forward unit of mul and gillane. Mul will run himself into the ground and the likes of Flanagan and even ryan to come on to add that freshness.

Cant wait for Sunday.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 24/10/2020 10:26:56    2300683

Link