Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To valley84:  "It's hardly fair when one club doesn't send in a list of players and then plays a few lads who should be on the list and then list is then changed to suit the club in question?"
Your 100% right it was the wood that your on about only had 10 named instead 12 as a senior club ya name 12 list was only changed and of October pure joke.

refaball (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 18/11/2019 13:17:39    2250142

Link

Replying To refaball:  "Your 100% right it was the wood that your on about only had 10 named instead 12 as a senior club ya name 12 list was only changed and of October pure joke."
Oh that's a different story, how did the wood get it passed through the planning report though? And yes in my earlier post I was talking about bending the rules rather than breaking them; naming players who have emigrated and players who have retired. The naming of players probably needs to be done on a club by club basis and not a blanket of naming 12 or 10 or whatever, clubs are supposed too furnish a list of all players who played championship (senior or intermediate) in the previous year, but this is not happening either, I would then ask them have they any players graduating from underage to adult that are eligible to play, and then make a decision on how many they should name, I think you would have better Junior championships...if the championships were played during the summer too of course.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 18/11/2019 18:47:54    2250220

Link

i see where Saint Mullins are in a leinster senior final...carlows second senior club in a provincial final appearance in 5 years. its great for Carlow but i just cant help feeling disappointed. no Westmeath Club has got to at least 1 final in the last 10 years now where they have looked capable of doing so..Afterall i would definitely think Westmeath Senior is as good if not better than the carlow senior. there were big opportunities there since 2009...Tullamore beating Clonkill by a point in 2009...Raharney loosing to all ireland favourites oulart the ballagh a year later by a point, Castletown loosing narrowly to MLR in 2013 who got to the all ireland later and Raharney again loosing to Kilcormac in 2014 i think v narrowly....Has the opportunity gone now to get to a leinster final..it looks like it could be...i hope not though....the leinster club senior looked open enough for about 10 years there but its looking like it could be dominated by Kilkenny or Dublin clubs (a new force) once again.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 514 - 19/11/2019 13:38:55    2250325

Link

Replying To preddan:  "i see where Saint Mullins are in a leinster senior final...carlows second senior club in a provincial final appearance in 5 years. its great for Carlow but i just cant help feeling disappointed. no Westmeath Club has got to at least 1 final in the last 10 years now where they have looked capable of doing so..Afterall i would definitely think Westmeath Senior is as good if not better than the carlow senior. there were big opportunities there since 2009...Tullamore beating Clonkill by a point in 2009...Raharney loosing to all ireland favourites oulart the ballagh a year later by a point, Castletown loosing narrowly to MLR in 2013 who got to the all ireland later and Raharney again loosing to Kilcormac in 2014 i think v narrowly....Has the opportunity gone now to get to a leinster final..it looks like it could be...i hope not though....the leinster club senior looked open enough for about 10 years there but its looking like it could be dominated by Kilkenny or Dublin clubs (a new force) once again."
Our senior championship does not prepare clubs for Leinster.
I think like many in the county you have an inflated sense of Westmeath hurling.
Carlow hurling has gone ahead of us both at county level and club level.

They have amalgamated a good few adult clubs in the county to become more competitive and their proximity to Kilkenny and Wexford helps

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 19/11/2019 17:40:03    2250362

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Our senior championship does not prepare clubs for Leinster.
I think like many in the county you have an inflated sense of Westmeath hurling.
Carlow hurling has gone ahead of us both at county level and club level.

They have amalgamated a good few adult clubs in the county to become more competitive and their proximity to Kilkenny and Wexford helps"
There's 4 senior hurling clubs in Carlow.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 19/11/2019 19:31:18    2250387

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "There's 4 senior hurling clubs in Carlow."
Why haven't all the senior b clubs in westmeath been put into intermediate so?
That is effectively what they are

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 21/11/2019 22:17:19    2250784

Link

On to 2020 lads.

Carlow in first round of Walsh Cup. Missing the St Mullins lads. Opportunity to get off to a flier

Any word on new additions to panel? It's all very hush hush

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 22/11/2019 11:45:45    2250839

Link

See the Junior B championship semi this evening and final Sunday. Bit of a shambles in the finish up , Bridgets didn't field for last two games and were thrown out so everyone lost the points from them. Every club have to name 12 but the Wood only named 10,this was noticed before they played Turin and Turin were told by CB to go ahead and play it ,"you will get the points anyway because the Wood have played illegal players as they broke the rules by not naming 12 and will probably be put out of the competition"
It seems that game ended in a draw but on the Website at that stage Turin were awarded the win on the Table on the website, so all was upfront at that stage .

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 92 - 22/11/2019 17:59:13    2250914

Link

Cullion had a big win over Plunketts last night in dreadful conditions on the astro in Lomans. Cullion have momentum and lots of first team players so should account for the 'Wood tomorrow.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 724 - 23/11/2019 12:16:50    2250984

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "See the Junior B championship semi this evening and final Sunday. Bit of a shambles in the finish up , Bridgets didn't field for last two games and were thrown out so everyone lost the points from them. Every club have to name 12 but the Wood only named 10,this was noticed before they played Turin and Turin were told by CB to go ahead and play it ,"you will get the points anyway because the Wood have played illegal players as they broke the rules by not naming 12 and will probably be put out of the competition"
It seems that game ended in a draw but on the Website at that stage Turin were awarded the win on the Table on the website, so all was upfront at that stage ."
Who told them that? Usually you cannot get the CB to reply to an email, never mind take a phone call.
Rule always is play the game, then object

It's no surprise the Wood got away with that. Been going on for years

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 23/11/2019 21:58:36    2251042

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Cullion had a big win over Plunketts last night in dreadful conditions on the astro in Lomans. Cullion have momentum and lots of first team players so should account for the 'Wood tomorrow."
So we've already said that the wood have cheated there way to the final by not naming enough players, but now they have changed there list, the question is did any of there named players play junior this year. But apparently cullion have "lots of first team players" on what is supposed to be there 3rd team (they have a junior A team too), did these players improve dramatically since cullion submitted there list and make the 1st team while they weren't on it last year.Obviously if a player was underage last year he can't be named (e.g.Jack Gillen) or if a player transfers in (e.g Stones the big full forward) he can't be named. So have both clubs cheated their way to the final? Anyways I expect Cullion to win handy, they were training up until the leinster semi-final so fitness and match fitness should stand to them.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 24/11/2019 11:40:48    2251086

Link

The Wood should be thrown out of the competition so. Fairly cheeky attempt by them in naming 10 players. How the CB never even spotted this in the first place I don't know but it shouldn't have taken until Turin objected for this to be highlighted. Cullion will probably be stronger and in better nick having had a run in the Leinster c'ship. I'd fancy them to repeat last years result and have enough for the Wood. If you take McGovern and O'Meara out of the Wood team they become average very quickly. The rest of the team wouldn't get near a proper Senior team. The same could be said about other Senior B teams though.

Just on past posts about the name of the C'Ships. Its a bit pathetic calling the new competition Senior B. The actual c'ships should be named for what they are:

Current = Actual
Senior = Senior.
Senior B = Intermediate.
Intermediate = Junior.
Junior A = Possibly should be called Senior B as it is pretty much just the Senior clubs second team.
Junior B = Its exactly as it should be, well if players were named properly. Competition for 2nd teams from IHC/JHC.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 86 - 24/11/2019 11:55:07    2251088

Link

What's pathetic about naming competition Senior B. Offaly and other counties do it and it's no big deal. Slow news day when this is topical

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 24/11/2019 20:06:24    2251170

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "So we've already said that the wood have cheated there way to the final by not naming enough players, but now they have changed there list, the question is did any of there named players play junior this year. But apparently cullion have "lots of first team players" on what is supposed to be there 3rd team (they have a junior A team too), did these players improve dramatically since cullion submitted there list and make the 1st team while they weren't on it last year.Obviously if a player was underage last year he can't be named (e.g.Jack Gillen) or if a player transfers in (e.g Stones the big full forward) he can't be named. So have both clubs cheated their way to the final? Anyways I expect Cullion to win handy, they were training up until the leinster semi-final so fitness and match fitness should stand to them."
The Wood won

Ironically they were presented with the cup by their own clubman.
Great to have that influence there

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 24/11/2019 20:40:18    2251177

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "What's pathetic about naming competition Senior B. Offaly and other counties do it and it's no big deal. Slow news day when this is topical"
there's a few clubs in senior b who think the world will stop revolving if they are in an Intermediate championship.
when in fact the only silverware they've won in 20 years is an intermediate title

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 25/11/2019 10:01:52    2251253

Link

Replying To valley84:  "there's a few clubs in senior b who think the world will stop revolving if they are in an Intermediate championship.
when in fact the only silverware they've won in 20 years is an intermediate title"
You must of being an unreal hurler trainer manager chairman you even know how to sort out the fixtures if we have more like you involved with underage structures and county teams we would have some amount of all Irelands .Some man .

refaball (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 25/11/2019 22:08:54    2251436

Link

Replying To refaball:  "You must of being an unreal hurler trainer manager chairman you even know how to sort out the fixtures if we have more like you involved with underage structures and county teams we would have some amount of all Irelands .Some man ."
In faireness to valley84 while he may be contrary at the best of times, he has his ear to ground. More often than not he has positive ideas for improving Westmeath GAA. I can see where his frustration comes from and it is reflected in the tone of his posts.

@Bellewest. The only reason the 2nd c'ship is called Senior B and not intermediate was to ensure the changes could get through. As valley84 said some of those clubs are particularly precious about being a "Senior" club. And you can imagine current intermediate clubs being told they are now in the 3rd tier (or Junior) c'ship would be similarly put out.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 86 - 26/11/2019 13:02:40    2251535

Link

Most Laughable post of the year thinking that that valley lad has anything positive to say. Constantly cutting at county board, management, clubs, offers zero solutions. Maybe he has two user names!!!

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 26/11/2019 15:02:55    2251561

Link

Our CB close down any debate or criticism at meetings about competitions or finances and they have no consultative process for change within the county at any level. How can a club or person hope to change anything?
Just look at how the coaching and games setup has been run for years. No value for money and no plan.
How can someone get involved when it's the same few swapping jobs every few years?

And yes, I've so much time on my hands that I've 5 accounts here.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 26/11/2019 20:21:41    2251647

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Our CB close down any debate or criticism at meetings about competitions or finances and they have no consultative process for change within the county at any level. How can a club or person hope to change anything?
Just look at how the coaching and games setup has been run for years. No value for money and no plan.
How can someone get involved when it's the same few swapping jobs every few years?

And yes, I've so much time on my hands that I've 5 accounts here."
Your like a broken record go do something about it instead of moaning the whole time and putting everything down most people do these jobs out of their free time and for nothing.But their is a lot of issues and people in county board only in their for themselves so y dont you go in and run for a job and change it.Go to your club and get involved .

refaball (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 27/11/2019 02:37:35    2251715

Link