Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Flash27:  "Living close to the border and going to club matches in both counties I think ye both have some good points. As regards clubs I think kiltale would prob be very close to the level of the top 3 in Westmeath but just not quite a there level bit would definitely be ahead of LLg. Its prob after kiltale that things get a bit closer. The next 4 or 5 clubs in Meath would prob be about the gales level ie. Trim Kildalkey Ratoath Killyon and Longwood. Maybe some of these might be closer to Pollard level but in or around that I would say. Its prob after that that the level in Meath might get ahead of Westmeath. So to say most clubs in meath would beat Westmeath is not really right I don't think. Also I think there is plenty of challenge matches between teams on both side as someone said Kiltale regularly do also know Trim, Kildalkey, Killyon definitely do and prob a couple of others."
Evidence speaks for itself
Meath have beaten Westmeath at underage hurling at every level almost for past 4/5 years.
Clubs in Meath get twice as many underage hurling games and their underage squads are run very well. Same cannot be said for our own county
Most senior clubs in Westmeath would not get near the Leinster intermediate club title.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 02/10/2019 16:45:15    2240979

Link

Replying To Flash27:  "Living close to the border and going to club matches in both counties I think ye both have some good points. As regards clubs I think kiltale would prob be very close to the level of the top 3 in Westmeath but just not quite a there level bit would definitely be ahead of LLg. Its prob after kiltale that things get a bit closer. The next 4 or 5 clubs in Meath would prob be about the gales level ie. Trim Kildalkey Ratoath Killyon and Longwood. Maybe some of these might be closer to Pollard level but in or around that I would say. Its prob after that that the level in Meath might get ahead of Westmeath. So to say most clubs in meath would beat Westmeath is not really right I don't think. Also I think there is plenty of challenge matches between teams on both side as someone said Kiltale regularly do also know Trim, Kildalkey, Killyon definitely do and prob a couple of others."
I'd say that's a fair assessment. Crookedwood were soundly beaten by Na Fianna in the Leinster junior junior championship last year despite Crookedwood being Westmeath intermediate champions.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 31 - 02/10/2019 17:31:46    2240993

Link

Gaels beat them teams regularly

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 79 - 02/10/2019 19:47:52    2241016

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Gaels beat them teams regularly"
Don't know where u get your info from Kiltale beat gaels well enough the last time they played they also beat Raharney last year just before semi final now I'm not saying they as good as raharney just saying that's what happened. I'm involved with a different club who wouldn't be at Kiltales level and they beat the Gaels and pollard last year so if you goin to come out with something at least let it be the truth.

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:48:48    2241041

Link

Replying To 35OLT:  "I'd say that's a fair assessment. Crookedwood were soundly beaten by Na Fianna in the Leinster junior junior championship last year despite Crookedwood being Westmeath intermediate champions."
Yes that's true but in fairness Na Fianna are quite a good side and have proved that this year by making the quarter finals in their first year but I agree with you the teams from 6-12 in Meath would be ahead of these in Westmeath but top 3 in Westmeath ahead of those in Meath

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:53:24    2241044

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Evidence speaks for itself
Meath have beaten Westmeath at underage hurling at every level almost for past 4/5 years.
Clubs in Meath get twice as many underage hurling games and their underage squads are run very well. Same cannot be said for our own county
Most senior clubs in Westmeath would not get near the Leinster intermediate club title."
Meath have the edge at the younger age groups from u14 up to minor at the minute but Westmeath still well ahead at u 20 and senior. Was at u20 game in trim last year and Westmeath hammered Meath

Flash27 (Meath) - Posts: 54 - 02/10/2019 20:55:31    2241046

Link

Replying To Flash27:  "Meath have the edge at the younger age groups from u14 up to minor at the minute but Westmeath still well ahead at u 20 and senior. Was at u20 game in trim last year and Westmeath hammered Meath"
Any predictions for senior hurling final?

Any word on the rest of the backroom team for the senior hurlers?

Who would ye like to see added to panel? The wing back for Raharney was very good, light pacey lad. Clonkill corner forward good aswel.

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 09/10/2019 00:17:10    2242231

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Any predictions for senior hurling final?

Any word on the rest of the backroom team for the senior hurlers?

Who would ye like to see added to panel? The wing back for Raharney was very good, light pacey lad. Clonkill corner forward good aswel."
New players for county I would say McCarthy and Rabbite from Pollard,Murphy from Delvin,Cuneen from Brownstown, Kenny,Anthony Price,Loughlin,and Jordi Smith from Clonkill,Kane, Mcdermott and Maxwell Castletown.
As for Sunday it's hard to call Clonkill were very good against Raharney and have to be slight favourites.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 14/10/2019 12:36:03    2243374

Link

Very quiet on here in the run up to the big game. However, a cloud of darkness has descended over Castletown with the passing of Maura Clarke (RIP) overnight. The question now is will the game go ahead? The Clarke family are a big part of Castletown hurling and Westmeath hurling down through the years, a big call to be made by the county board. If it does go ahead I tip CTG, but only if Niall O'Brien is home. But the right thing to do would be a postponement.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 431 - 19/10/2019 14:42:25    2244367

Link

Very sad news. Word is that it's going ahead. I think Niall is flown home from Dubai so that may be a factor in it going ahead?

Thoughts with the Clarke family

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 20/10/2019 10:43:44    2244505

Link

Great final yesterday. Clonkill edged a hugely physical game and deserved to win. The referee let it flow, ignoring a lot of heavy hits. A great spectacle for any neutral.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 21/10/2019 11:51:46    2244736

Link

I wonder will they be able to convince Luke Loughlin to play county hurling next year. He would be a great addition.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 135 - 21/10/2019 14:32:20    2244786

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "Great final yesterday. Clonkill edged a hugely physical game and deserved to win. The referee let it flow, ignoring a lot of heavy hits. A great spectacle for any neutral."
Fine game. Good to see it flow. Massive physicality. Clonkill worthy champions, beating Raharney and Castletown is doing it the hard way

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 21/10/2019 14:32:42    2244787

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Fine game. Good to see it flow. Massive physicality. Clonkill worthy champions, beating Raharney and Castletown is doing it the hard way"
Congratulations to them but you know the SHC format is flawed when a team can lose their first three matches and still win the championship.

Concerned_Supp (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 21/10/2019 14:47:00    2244792

Link

A team like Delvin, Castlepollard or Lough lene gaels need to make a breakthrough again...the whole championship in Westmeath is gone a bit stale. Three clubs fighting it out year after year for a many a year now. They are great clubs but the whole thing would get a boost if a new team got to a final again. I suppose though a lot of counties in the same boat now with 2 or 3 the same teams all the time.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 514 - 25/10/2019 14:59:01    2245745

Link

Pollard, Plunketts & Gaels have made finals in recent years but the top 3 are all way ahead of the rest. Different format for next year which will give the Senior B clubs a chance for silverware but there's no one outside the top 3 going to win the Senior A for a long time. Credit to Clonkill last Sunday, they timed their championship run to perfection.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 25/10/2019 15:12:35    2245746

Link

Clonkill will never get a better chance to do first three in a row in a long time. Possibly since St. Brigids fifty years ago. They were easily ten points better team last Sunday and that was without Alan McGrath, Anthony Price and Eoin Price. Andrew Mitchell has solved goalkeeper problem, Brendan Murtagh is better than ever, Castletown couldn't compete physically and that won't change in next few years, Raharney have great talent at 16, 17 and 18 but obviously a while before they're senior material, John Shaw, Brian Smith and others surely finished at senior level, Niall Flanagan only played intermediate this year, Conor Jordan has injury problems, thevGaels best players are also ageing, hard to see past Clonkill.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 25/10/2019 17:28:56    2245780

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Clonkill will never get a better chance to do first three in a row in a long time. Possibly since St. Brigids fifty years ago. They were easily ten points better team last Sunday and that was without Alan McGrath, Anthony Price and Eoin Price. Andrew Mitchell has solved goalkeeper problem, Brendan Murtagh is better than ever, Castletown couldn't compete physically and that won't change in next few years, Raharney have great talent at 16, 17 and 18 but obviously a while before they're senior material, John Shaw, Brian Smith and others surely finished at senior level, Niall Flanagan only played intermediate this year, Conor Jordan has injury problems, thevGaels best players are also ageing, hard to see past Clonkill."
That is true, but it only takes a retirement or two or a few younger lads to emigrate and suddenly things change.

Raharney seem to have the talent and despite what some say around here they have a big pick pulling out of Kinnegad. It helps that the Rochfortbridge school teams are basically Ragarney club teams so they are very used to playing together

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 25/10/2019 20:24:36    2245813

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Clonkill will never get a better chance to do first three in a row in a long time. Possibly since St. Brigids fifty years ago. They were easily ten points better team last Sunday and that was without Alan McGrath, Anthony Price and Eoin Price. Andrew Mitchell has solved goalkeeper problem, Brendan Murtagh is better than ever, Castletown couldn't compete physically and that won't change in next few years, Raharney have great talent at 16, 17 and 18 but obviously a while before they're senior material, John Shaw, Brian Smith and others surely finished at senior level, Niall Flanagan only played intermediate this year, Conor Jordan has injury problems, thevGaels best players are also ageing, hard to see past Clonkill."
The Gaels were the last team to achieve three in a row,. It wint be easy for clonkill next year. Their big names are running out of road. Would be nice to see them get over the kine thoiugh.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 26/10/2019 01:52:09    2245867

Link

Raharney have to be the team. They just need to get it right. So many county starters.

Castletown will be good again. They have a nice side.

Clonkill have a few older lads but they look like the real leaders.

Hard to see anyone challenging that 3 again

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 133 - 27/10/2019 14:45:49    2246111

Link