Fermanagh Forum

Enniskillen Hurling

(Oldest Posts First)

what happened? I've been in exile in Dublin ....im back eager to hurl in the county town and ??????? any one care to comment

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 239 - 27/06/2013 16:04:27    1416936

Link

Hurling in the county is pointless and a drain on finances. We struggle to keep football teams going let alone hurling teams. The county hurlers, while its admirable, that they put the effort in, are never going to compete with the likes of Antrim, Down, Derry let alone the Kilkennys and Waterfords.

Hairytoes (Fermanagh) - Posts: 26 - 27/06/2013 16:46:42    1416975

Link

In case you didnt notice the footballers arent world beaters either
Love the game(s) what ever the success level be that hurling football (forget handball lol)
Are you just in it to win it ? if every county did that youd have 31 very unfulfilled teams every year
look its club hurling..have you been to club football recently div 2 or div 3....its not always pretty but its enjoyable

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 239 - 27/06/2013 16:51:42    1416978

Link

Thats very true the footballers havent been setting the world alight of late, but they still manage to get a loyal following to all games, gained promotion last year to Div 3 and narrowly missed out on a second promotion this year on the last day of this season. The hurlers on the other hand are facing the might of Fingal ! I have been to many games of late, in Div 1 and 2 and while I didnt come across anything that would worry Crossmaglen they still gain good numbers unlike the 2 hurling teams in the county. When I was at school there was no promotion of hurling at all, and I would suspect that there is still a lack of coaching / promotion of hurling. We should, embrace all aspects of our games, but I just feel that it is too little too late in the county with regards hurling, when there are only the two teams, with one far more superior than the other, and both of these teams need to travel all over Armagh just to get league games. Had the county board put in place structures to promote hurling aswell as football in school, there could have been more teams still around today, like Enniskillen and Belleek, and clubs in general would be happy to put some of the little money they have into a hurling team.

Hairytoes (Fermanagh) - Posts: 26 - 28/06/2013 09:45:04    1417330

Link

So you want Fermanagh to be to hurling what Kilkenny is to Football lol ........when I played last we had Donagh Lisbellaw Skea and the Gaels and clubs such as AodhDuadh came to play in the Fermanagh league ......its down NOW yeah ...but not lost
we also had lads who were too good for club teams and only played county .......embrace the level we are at in ALL codes
nuff said ....
BTW Fingal have some bloody good hurlers, ive played in the Dublin leagues and Im not sure how your Dublin geography is but this is not Fingal Ravens ..its all of Fingal which is probably 5 times the population of Fermanagh with 5 times the clubs

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 239 - 28/06/2013 10:12:58    1417358

Link

HAIRYTOES

Your comments are as hairy as your toes.. Last 3 years in a row the hurlers have been ranked higher than the footballers. They have also actually won silverware. Not saying much for the footballers who have more than 2 clubs to choose from. Hurlers are not treated well enough unlike the footballers who get kits , dinner, tracksuits, and some of them even get a wage.. hurlers are lucky to get a fruit salad!!

UPTHEFLEADH (Fermanagh) - Posts: 5 - 01/07/2013 16:58:20    1420789

Link

Enniskillen would be as well ditching football and turn to the hurling instead. Their senior team is gradually getting worse every year despite having the largest available population. At least they'd be the 3rd best hurling team in Fermanagh if they made the switch

DGreene94 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 11 - 01/07/2013 17:51:16    1420871

Link

Gaels had a a great team in the early to mid 90's, they even won a championship beating the law. However when Bro. John moved on, it was the death nail for hurling in the club and county as he was heavily involved in the under age set up. Young McCluskey is trying to revive it so good luck to them.
Hurlers have won a few provincial and all ireland titles at under age over the past few years.
County Hurlers won Ulster and All-Ireland Junior titles in 1994.
Followed by NHL Div 4 Title in 1995. Then the county had, Irvinestown, Edenery, Belleek, Enniskillen, Lisbellaw, Lisbellaw Pobal, Donagh and Linsakea to pick from.
2007 hurlers won NHL Shield in Div 3.
2012 Hurlers won NHL Div 3.

So not bad for the poor relation of the county. It will never progress fully until its taken up at primary school level.

ShowsFair (Fermanagh) - Posts: 292 - 02/07/2013 15:13:56    1421729

Link