Down Forum

Tyrone SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I would worry about our ability to win our own kick outs. McVeigh's distribution is a big problem for us, a recurring problem over the last 4 years. The game turned yesterday on our midfield changes and Morgan's black card, Tyrone's number 2 goalie wasn't finding his men and this contributed to our come back.

On a positive note, given a midfield platform we know we can get at Tyrone, not only get at them but indeed blow them away. If we can win our share of the kick outs on Saturday and play an attacking game, we have a good chance.

artisan (Down) - Posts: 1756 - 19/05/2014 15:35:28    1590172

Link

I'd definitely start Benny at midfield. He was the best player on display yesterday no question. Our first half display lacked confidence. Benny brings that class and confidence. If he tires in the second half so be it, the other younger players can push on. We leave it too late again this time and Tyrone will be out of sight. When we ran at the Tyrone defence at pace they looked porous. Non of this cautious cagey start craic, lets tear into them!

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 19/05/2014 21:15:45    1590467

Link

We played to much of a cagey first half yesterday, it wasent until the gun was put to our head that james let the shackles off and we destroyed them , that needs to be the tatic from the off come Saturday night

What we seen from Tyrone on Sunday is as good as they get, and we only played for 15 mins

I fancied us before Sunday, but im sure we will finish the job now

germac (Down) - Posts: 308 - 19/05/2014 21:38:53    1590492

Link

germac
County: Down

1590492 We played to much of a cagey first half yesterday, it wasent until the gun was put to our head that james let the shackles off and we destroyed them , that needs to be the tatic from the off come Saturday night

What we seen from Tyrone on Sunday is as good as they get, and we only played for 15 mins

I fancied us before Sunday, but im sure we will finish the job now

Wow, confidence personified. Germac your insight into Tyrone is amazing, you have stated our performance on Sunday was as good as it gets, wow... The fact is we will be much much better, as Sunday we played the worst we've played all year barr the defeat in Kilarney. Down will need to bring their A game to Newry, Tyrone will be much improved.

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 20/05/2014 10:28:38    1590572

Link

To be honest its going to be a completely different game. Tyrone will undoubtedly try at least to be tighter in defence (although not sure it can be fixed in a week) and will play better. However any Tyrone fan that expects Down to be as bad as they were in the first half is also mistaken.

Both teams will go full tilt from the start and I believe whoever wins the midfield battle will win it. I believe Down can do this and therefore believe they will win. I think home advantage will also be beneficial for us.

it will be a tight game and I don't see much more than two or three points in it. Its too tight to call.

AnDun_Abu_60 (Down) - Posts: 9 - 20/05/2014 11:09:28    1590606

Link

iIf there is anyone on here from the county board I would like an answer to this question. The stand at the marshes holds 4,000, each club in Down have been allocated 8 tickets each, which comes to roughly 350 tickets. If I guess Tyrone get half that amount the total is 525 tickets. My father was about 20th in the queue for tickets tonight at the Shamrocks club and was told there was no tickets left for the stand. Logic tells me some were sold in Castlewellan earlier in the day but where have the rest of the tickets gone? Something doesn't add up here. Who gets the other 3,000 or more tickets for the stand and why are they not available to the rank and file GAA members like my father who has been a loyal member for over 50 years?

rcss1 (Down) - Posts: 124 - 20/05/2014 21:53:12    1591078

Link

Had the same problem yesterday in Castlewellan. Sold out at lunch time. It is a joke. Even with a portion going to players families etc and some going to Club down there would be more than enough left for others. something not right here.

AnDun_Abu_60 (Down) - Posts: 9 - 21/05/2014 09:14:09    1591110

Link

I had a friend who has been very in well this last 6 months and has never missed a game. He is not fit to stand at the game so left nothing to chance and was in Castlewellan yesterday morning at 9-30. He was told at that stage there was no seated tickets at all. He then questioned as to why they were advertised on the website and Facebook to which he was told Don't know nothing we can do. He left with no ticket and a sour taste in his mouth about the Down County Board. All the crying we have done about not getting a home game on years and when we do we can't even look Fter our own fans. Yet and all the ones who weren't in Omagh ,Laois ,Galway ,Navan and got soaked in Armagh are in the stand as usual.

NP76 (Down) - Posts: 66 - 21/05/2014 11:30:21    1591180

Link

Season Ticket sorts out the regular supporters from the bandwagon

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 21/05/2014 11:55:13    1591196

Link

Burnsey......So anyone who hasn't got a season ticket is a "bandwagon" supporter? Catch yourself on. My father has followed Down all over the country since the 1960's. He's been a club member since then too and is at nearly all our club matches, including under-age games. Behind him in the queue last night was a former Down great and All-Ireland winner in 1968, who is currently a fund raiser for Club Down. He didn't get a stand ticket last night either and left in disgust. I don't want to drag the man in question into an argument by naming him, but anyone who was in the Shamrocks club looking tickets last night would have been aware of his presence. The Down County Board and Ulster Council need to show the supporters where these tickets have gone. In the Irish News today there is a competition to win 5 pairs of tickets for this game yet loyal lifetime supporters can't even get their hands on stand tickets within 10 mins of the ticket office opening. My father is in his 70's and will have to stand at this match when the seats will be filled by whom exactly?

rcss1 (Down) - Posts: 124 - 21/05/2014 13:42:24    1591324

Link

Folks - this is an Ulster fixture and not a Down fixture and i'm sure that Ulster set the rules for ticket distribution. The blame should not be laid at the feet of the Down administration. Each club, i 'm told gets 8 tickets and when those returns are received in to Down administration by probably tonight, then and only then will the queue take place for the remaining allocation. I'd suggest there will be a good few people who will not want the seated area and prefer to stand. More than likely there will be enough seats to go around the rest of us. Most who want a seat will get a seat. You could have got as many standing tickets last night and yesterday as you wanted. Be patient - we have been patient and waited a while for a match in Newry so i'm sure we can wait another day or so.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 21/05/2014 16:04:32    1591445

Link

Ticket games are a nightmare for clubs, Co boards , players , I realised way back in the early 90s when I seen those sitting in Croke , that when it comes ticket time

Its every man for himself

germac (Down) - Posts: 308 - 21/05/2014 20:48:25    1591615

Link

Ticket allocation explanation is on Down website. Sad that Down only have 1,000 stand tickets out of 4,000 for this match and the Ulster Council decide where the rest goes. We want the ground full of real Down supporters and less of the "prawn sandwich" brigade. Anduna.....you might think most people want to stand but what about our senior citizens? Personally speaking I'm ok with standing, in fact I swapped a Hogan Stand ticket for a Hill ticket in '91. That's because I was young and well able to stand for that length of time. As for being patient and waiting for more stand tickets to be released.....how many times do you want people to go to Newry or Castlewellan looking for them. My Da went to Newry and left with terrace tickets. He went there in the first place because stand tickets were advertised for sale. When they are advertised for sale on the Down website and you are 20th in the queue, you expect to get one. There is a distinct lack of communication in the process.

rcss1 (Down) - Posts: 124 - 22/05/2014 08:58:06    1591702

Link

"We want the ground full of real Down supporters and less of the "prawn sandwich" brigade. "

Rccs1, i refer you to my earlier post

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 22/05/2014 16:02:16    1591954

Link

Excited about the game tomorrow but overseas. Anyone know if its being televised or have a link?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

maroonandwhite (UK) - Posts: 63 - 23/05/2014 15:55:40    1592461

Link

Radio coverage only as far as I know. Don't believe Destination Newry can web broadcast Championship, and rte / bbc will only be doing highlights

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 23/05/2014 16:39:02    1592494

Link

Can't see James starting the same team, whatever the press release says. Despite what a few of the Tyrone posters on here might say publicly, deep down they know they are vulnerable. They have undoubted talent coming through the ranks, but they are a year or two of maturing yet. No doubt should they loose on Saturday night we will have the same eejits on here calling for Harte to resign as in 2008.

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 23/05/2014 17:40:57    1592531

Link

Good luck Mournemen i hope ye do the business tomorrow.

cuederocket (Dublin) - Posts: 5084 - 23/05/2014 21:07:27    1592614

Link