St Pauls

Quarters
The Downs
St Lomans
Bunbrosna
Ballinagore

The 2 senior teams To meet in the final with The Downs to win it

Shamrocks to go down in relegation play off to Josephs"
This is wrong with the new set up, all junior clubs are in the the top group in junior

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 132 - 06/02/2021 14:23:05    2330429

Link

Think it's senior second teams group 1 and junior teams group 2, doesn't really matter which is which really in terms of the knockout, it'll be senior v junior in all of the quarters

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 06/02/2021 15:13:12    2330435

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Think it's senior second teams group 1 and junior teams group 2, doesn't really matter which is which really in terms of the knockout, it'll be senior v junior in all of the quarters"
It does matter as there will be 4 junior clubs going through and 2 senior

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 132 - 06/02/2021 15:25:23    2330438

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "It does matter as there will be 4 junior clubs going through and 2 senior"
4 teams come through group 1 and 4 teams come through from group 2!! With 4 quarter finals
So it doesn't matter

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 06/02/2021 15:40:58    2330439

Link

Junior Football 2021 Section A(confirmed )
Killucan or coralstown/Kinnegad ,The Downs
,Athlone
St Lomans Mulingar ,Garrycastle,
Mullingar Shamrocks
Junior Football 2021 Section B
Ballycomoyle
St Pauls
Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall St Josephs
Ballinagore
Bunbrosna
Teams 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Section A qualify for quarter final.
• Teams 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Section B qualify for quarter final.
• Quarter Finals
A. Section A Team 1 v Section B Team 4.
B. Section A Team 2 v Section B Team 3.
C. Section A Team 3 v Section B Team 2.
D. Section A Team 4 v Section B Team 1.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 06/02/2021 15:48:54    2330442

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "Junior Football 2021 Section A(confirmed )
Killucan or coralstown/Kinnegad ,The Downs
,Athlone
St Lomans Mulingar ,Garrycastle,
Mullingar Shamrocks
Junior Football 2021 Section B
Ballycomoyle
St Pauls
Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall St Josephs
Ballinagore
Bunbrosna
Teams 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Section A qualify for quarter final.
• Teams 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Section B qualify for quarter final.
• Quarter Finals
A. Section A Team 1 v Section B Team 4.
B. Section A Team 2 v Section B Team 3.
C. Section A Team 3 v Section B Team 2.
D. Section A Team 4 v Section B Team 1."
Group A
Downs
Lomans
Garrycastle
Athlone

Group B
Bun
CFCW
Ballinagore
Pauls

1/4 finals
Downs vs Paul's- downs
Lomans vs ballinagore- ballinagore
Gcastle vs cfcw- cfcw
Athlone vs Bun- Bun

Semi
Downs vs cfcw- cfcw
Bgore vs bun- Bun

Cfcw winner

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 06/02/2021 17:00:53    2330450

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Group A
Downs
Lomans
Garrycastle
Athlone

Group B
Bun
CFCW
Ballinagore
Pauls

1/4 finals
Downs vs Paul's- downs
Lomans vs ballinagore- ballinagore
Gcastle vs cfcw- cfcw
Athlone vs Bun- Bun

Semi
Downs vs cfcw- cfcw
Bgore vs bun- Bun

Cfcw winner"
C/F/C/W had a terrible year last year they were in a relagation scrap last year ! I think they are well off winning it. If they were to come up against the downs Lomans garrycastle or bun I don't see them getting much joy at all.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 06/02/2021 18:13:32    2330460

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "C/F/C/W had a terrible year last year they were in a relagation scrap last year ! I think they are well off winning it. If they were to come up against the downs Lomans garrycastle or bun I don't see them getting much joy at all."
You are correct on that. Cfcw came bottom of a group with bgore and gcastle. Unsure of how the game v bgore went but I was told gcastle never got out of third gear v cfcw. Gcastle then went down v tclair in q final who were by far the best team in junior championship last year and deservedly won it out. Gcastle could have a bigger say in junior this year if last years team stays the same

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 06/02/2021 19:24:11    2330465

Link

Cfcws year is largely dependent on who's over them and who's involved, can't ignore their record in the championship when they fully apply themselves for the entire year and there has been nothing but good reports from their effort so far this year, a very inconsistent side but when they're good, they're hard matched in this junior championship

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 06/02/2021 19:33:19    2330466

Link

Replying To Iarmhi04:  "You are correct on that. Cfcw came bottom of a group with bgore and gcastle. Unsure of how the game v bgore went but I was told gcastle never got out of third gear v cfcw. Gcastle then went down v tclair in q final who were by far the best team in junior championship last year and deservedly won it out. Gcastle could have a bigger say in junior this year if last years team stays the same"
The junior team group is very mixed in terms of quality. Bunbrosna and Ballinagore are good standard experienced teams and will fill the top two spots. After that the other 4 teams are more closely matched but not as good. CFCW a decent but inconsistent team and experienced Paul's should have enough to get out of the group. Ballycomoyle and Josephs are gamey and dogged but lack any real quality or depth.
The senior second teams are laden with talent due to the sheer numbers available to them at the moment with the covid situation. It's hard to see past the eventual winner coming from the senior group and not totally inconceivable to see a clean sweep for them in the quarter finals although I don't think it'll actually happen. Should be interesting.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 06/02/2021 20:07:53    2330470

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Cfcws year is largely dependent on who's over them and who's involved, can't ignore their record in the championship when they fully apply themselves for the entire year and there has been nothing but good reports from their effort so far this year, a very inconsistent side but when they're good, they're hard matched in this junior championship"
I wouldn't say hard matched in terms of quality but in hard working & their desire to win well then yes when there at it & working together as a team there very hard to break down. Finea are an ageing side and rely on players like Kevin Brazil & these players aren't as hard marked as they once were
Lockdown Could go on for another while and my worry for these boys is that they'd lose interest in training when there's no games etc..

The Leagues are planned to return obviously before championship when Inter county gets running And finea are in division 5 ... for example the downs(same with Lomans ) second team which is largely junior players are in division 3 and always challenge for promotion to div 2. So their is a clear quality difference between The two in this respect.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 06/02/2021 20:41:25    2330472

Link

Its been a good few years since a senior club won this grade but i expect that will change this year. One of Lomans, Downs or Garrycastle to win it i think.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 07/02/2021 21:04:36    2330577

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Unlucky? How? They were well beaten in every game bar Kilbeggan and their age profile suggests getting back to intermediate would be a step too far."
Well to be fair they were unlucky. If it wasn't for Covid they wouldn't have went down, and that's a fact!

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 10/02/2021 13:12:46    2330914

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "Well to be fair they were unlucky. If it wasn't for Covid they wouldn't have went down, and that's a fact!"
Obviously as they would've been in the top group last year & that would've been the only way they would've stayed up they still would've lost every game like they did anyways. There no where near good enough for the IFC & id bet money on them not winning the junior this year. As someone already said with an ageing profile & players that lack in quality & not much underage numbers They'll struggle to ever get back up

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 10/02/2021 17:37:19    2330943

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Obviously as they would've been in the top group last year & that would've been the only way they would've stayed up they still would've lost every game like they did anyways. There no where near good enough for the IFC & id bet money on them not winning the junior this year. As someone already said with an ageing profile & players that lack in quality & not much underage numbers They'll struggle to ever get back up"
I would argue that's a little harsh considering the year before they got to a quarter final winning all but one of their group games. They were in the top group on merit. Agree that the ageing team will be a problem and relegation can be a big hit on a club that hasn't been junior in a long time. However I do think they will give a good crack at the championship.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 10/02/2021 23:34:58    2330980

Link