Westmeath Forum

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Lomans are the only team I can recall in fielding players In junior & then them players go on to play senior."
In fairness to Lomans, 1 of those players (Jones) had only arrived in their club and he got called up to their seniors after the Ballinagore game, which was only his 2nd or 3rd game with them.

The other was Fionn O'Hara who was one of their under-age stars but ended up with the Leinster rugby academy, he was only able to play ball with Lomans this year because of covid halting rugby, he was called up to replace TJ Cox in the final.

Both of these fella's were totally eligible for the Ballinagore game, Lomans dead right to play them, they were a massive loss to Lomans for the Junior final but a big plus to them in the Senior final.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 27/01/2021 16:19:02    2329176

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "In fairness to Lomans, 1 of those players (Jones) had only arrived in their club and he got called up to their seniors after the Ballinagore game, which was only his 2nd or 3rd game with them.

The other was Fionn O'Hara who was one of their under-age stars but ended up with the Leinster rugby academy, he was only able to play ball with Lomans this year because of covid halting rugby, he was called up to replace TJ Cox in the final.

Both of these fella's were totally eligible for the Ballinagore game, Lomans dead right to play them, they were a massive loss to Lomans for the Junior final but a big plus to them in the Senior final."
Exactly ,we are not talking about them playing illegal players here. Jones i believe was a surprise arrival during the year and as you said if the Leinster Academy was in full training O Hara would not have been available.
Is there a club in the county in the same situation that would have left them on the line. If both had played and were poor in those 2/3 junior games and not called up to the senior there would be no issue.
Lomans were fully entitled to play them and they were fully entitled to play.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 27/01/2021 19:22:22    2329211

Link

Indeed pretty sure any other club would have done the same and no rules broken. There is no issue with young OHara. I think it was the fact that the other chap who had played for London previously (ie intercounty standard) was sprung v Ballinagore so to speak. Senior management were no doubt delighted to get him game time and have a look.
Anyway, we are straying off topic in the absence of any decent news to digest.
I read previously that senior teams have to name 19 now (increased from what ?) and I presume all have to have played senior championship in 2020 ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 27/01/2021 20:50:03    2329229

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Indeed pretty sure any other club would have done the same and no rules broken. There is no issue with young OHara. I think it was the fact that the other chap who had played for London previously (ie intercounty standard) was sprung v Ballinagore so to speak. Senior management were no doubt delighted to get him game time and have a look.
Anyway, we are straying off topic in the absence of any decent news to digest.
I read previously that senior teams have to name 19 now (increased from what ?) and I presume all have to have played senior championship in 2020 ?"
Name 19 ,was 17 last year. Yea id imagine that have to have played in 2020. Unlike the crack years ago when a lad in Australia for the last 5 years was maned every year until eventually guilt set in

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 27/01/2021 21:52:16    2329243

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "Name 19 ,was 17 last year. Yea id imagine that have to have played in 2020. Unlike the crack years ago when a lad in Australia for the last 5 years was maned every year until eventually guilt set in"
Will clubs entering 2nd sides into Junior 2 Football Championship have to do the same Chick ?

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 27/01/2021 22:21:37    2329253

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "Name 19 ,was 17 last year. Yea id imagine that have to have played in 2020. Unlike the crack years ago when a lad in Australia for the last 5 years was maned every year until eventually guilt set in"
lol indeed. Lads not even in the same country or continent used to be named. I think there is a bit more scrutiny going on by the co. board. I think senior clubs with a team in junior 2 only name 17.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 27/01/2021 22:25:37    2329255

Link

Senior clubs entering a third team in the ACFL must name 19+5, or 17 + 7, depending on Championship status.
Senior clubs entering a fourth team in the ACFL must name 19+5 +6, or 17 + 7 +6, depending on Championship status.
Intermediate clubs shall name 12 players.
Intermediate clubs entering a third team in the ACFL shall name 12 + 12.

Players have had to have played last year. So say if a senior team used 23 players last year they have to pick out of those which depends on championship status

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 28/01/2021 00:19:57    2329266

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Will clubs entering 2nd sides into Junior 2 Football Championship have to do the same Chick ?"
It depends on how many league teams you have

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 28/01/2021 00:23:20    2329267

Link

Jones and O' Hara were certainly eligible for Loman's as mentioned earlier. Rules though need to be tidied up so that a Senior player parachuted in mid season is not eligible to play junior or intermediate. All transfers should have to be completed by 31st January, whether inter county or not, if a player transfers after that then he has to sit out that year. Players rarely transfer out of the blue so shouldn't be an issue. Ballinagore rightly felt sore about Jones playing against them and then featuring in the county senior final just a few weeks later. On a related issue why do Loman's court so many players from elsewhere when their underage structures are producing plenty of able players who are cast aside so that lads from other areas get games. Seems a strange policy. Short term benefits but long term repercussions.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 28/01/2021 11:44:13    2329298

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Jones and O' Hara were certainly eligible for Loman's as mentioned earlier. Rules though need to be tidied up so that a Senior player parachuted in mid season is not eligible to play junior or intermediate. All transfers should have to be completed by 31st January, whether inter county or not, if a player transfers after that then he has to sit out that year. Players rarely transfer out of the blue so shouldn't be an issue. Ballinagore rightly felt sore about Jones playing against them and then featuring in the county senior final just a few weeks later. On a related issue why do Loman's court so many players from elsewhere when their underage structures are producing plenty of able players who are cast aside so that lads from other areas get games. Seems a strange policy. Short term benefits but long term repercussions."
I agree with everything you just said !

Lomans have a lot of outsiders playing for them. How would that make a young player coming through feel seeing the likes of jones come on to the starting teams & he only around a few weeks . As you've said there surely has to be a deadline as to when a player can transfer in & actually play in the same year.

Also I wouldn't have a problem with jones coming into Lomans if it was a once of thing for them ,it's just the fact that they have so many players aswell from elsewhere in county & even outside the county & I would Nearly be sure taht all of the players who play with Lomans don't just join on their own accord !

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 28/01/2021 14:07:57    2329351

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "I agree with everything you just said !

Lomans have a lot of outsiders playing for them. How would that make a young player coming through feel seeing the likes of jones come on to the starting teams & he only around a few weeks . As you've said there surely has to be a deadline as to when a player can transfer in & actually play in the same year.

Also I wouldn't have a problem with jones coming into Lomans if it was a once of thing for them ,it's just the fact that they have so many players aswell from elsewhere in county & even outside the county & I would Nearly be sure taht all of the players who play with Lomans don't just join on their own accord !"
Lads its like groundhog day with this conversation. The reasons why Jones and Foy joined Lomans were talked to death two months ago. Its a nonsense discussion ,one lads lives across from the Lomans pitch ,the other has move into the area from abroad with a local former St Lomans Snr Ladies player.
Why did former all ireland winner Darren Magee go to Athlone after all Loman's is closer to Dublin.
Why did Killian Butler go to Shamrocks, all personal choices and /or connections.
Get over the fact they didnt go to your club and stop regurgitating topics from two months ago that were talked to death.
Outside players are attracted to the top teams when moving into a county, same in hurling. Personal Choices ,who would you advise your son to go to if he was moving into Westmeath and asked your advice.
Listen to yourselves "you wouldn't have a problem if it was a once of thing". Personal choices dictate lads ,believe it or not Senior footballers still have their own mind and don't need permission from the gallery.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 28/01/2021 17:46:25    2329422

Link

Not a nonsense argument The Chick but you choose to ignore what everyone else sees and pick what suits you. Explain Billy O' Loughlin transferring from Arles in Laois and more significantly what was his Mullingar address? Interesting that he left at same time as his uncle Luke!!!! Explain the likes of Sean Lancaster playing with Loman's? If he's living in Mullingar then surely he should hurl with Cullion or Plunketts? Otherwise he's in the Ballycomoyle or Finea catchment. The lads from Delvin who transferred couple of years ago, Enda Gaffney and Jason Leavy? They living in Mullingar? Peter Foy and Ryan Jones might be bona fide transfers but they're the exceptions, not the rule. I mentioned in earlier posts that the likes of Sean Kelly, Chris Gilbert and Tristan Graham are left out of crucial championship matches and these are talented, home bred players who wouldn't weaken the Loman's Senior side one bit. Short term thinking that wouldn't encourage any prospective under age player.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 28/01/2021 18:32:28    2329429

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Not a nonsense argument The Chick but you choose to ignore what everyone else sees and pick what suits you. Explain Billy O' Loughlin transferring from Arles in Laois and more significantly what was his Mullingar address? Interesting that he left at same time as his uncle Luke!!!! Explain the likes of Sean Lancaster playing with Loman's? If he's living in Mullingar then surely he should hurl with Cullion or Plunketts? Otherwise he's in the Ballycomoyle or Finea catchment. The lads from Delvin who transferred couple of years ago, Enda Gaffney and Jason Leavy? They living in Mullingar? Peter Foy and Ryan Jones might be bona fide transfers but they're the exceptions, not the rule. I mentioned in earlier posts that the likes of Sean Kelly, Chris Gilbert and Tristan Graham are left out of crucial championship matches and these are talented, home bred players who wouldn't weaken the Loman's Senior side one bit. Short term thinking that wouldn't encourage any prospective under age player."
And to add, why should Sean Lancaster play for Cullion or Plunkett's if he's living in Mullingar, where's that etched in stone, listen to yourself. Freedom of choice ,ambition. My own club have no players from Kilkenny, if an ex kilkenny all ireland winner was coming to Mullingar and wanted to hurl id imagine he'd be heading to Clonkill or Castletown, wanting to play at the highest level in the county.
This debate took place two months ago, going on about Loman's and insinuating dodgy deals. i m sure i stopped answering you the last time, i've just realised that i'm doing it again

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 28/01/2021 19:25:03    2329446

Link

Ah lads start a new topic if ye want to regurgitate a previously well documentated gripe. Yes they are fond of a transfer but at the end of the day they have 2 outstanding ballers in Heslin and OToole.
Now who's gonna win the JFC again ?
Do we have a list of junior managers ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 28/01/2021 20:36:43    2329456

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "Lads its like groundhog day with this conversation. The reasons why Jones and Foy joined Lomans were talked to death two months ago. Its a nonsense discussion ,one lads lives across from the Lomans pitch ,the other has move into the area from abroad with a local former St Lomans Snr Ladies player.
Why did former all ireland winner Darren Magee go to Athlone after all Loman's is closer to Dublin.
Why did Killian Butler go to Shamrocks, all personal choices and /or connections.
Get over the fact they didnt go to your club and stop regurgitating topics from two months ago that were talked to death.
Outside players are attracted to the top teams when moving into a county, same in hurling. Personal Choices ,who would you advise your son to go to if he was moving into Westmeath and asked your advice.
Listen to yourselves "you wouldn't have a problem if it was a once of thing". Personal choices dictate lads ,believe it or not Senior footballers still have their own mind and don't need permission from the gallery."
Oof hahahahaha

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 28/01/2021 21:13:04    2329460

Link

You can see that the County Board are doing their best to keep all clubs happy, the extra 2 named players will definitely handicap Senior clubs 2nd teams, but on the other hand it should level out the competition a little more. They should be commended for making the Junior 2 Football a competition with full Championship status.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 28/01/2021 21:19:33    2329462

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "And to add, why should Sean Lancaster play for Cullion or Plunkett's if he's living in Mullingar, where's that etched in stone, listen to yourself. Freedom of choice ,ambition. My own club have no players from Kilkenny, if an ex kilkenny all ireland winner was coming to Mullingar and wanted to hurl id imagine he'd be heading to Clonkill or Castletown, wanting to play at the highest level in the county.
This debate took place two months ago, going on about Loman's and insinuating dodgy deals. i m sure i stopped answering you the last time, i've just realised that i'm doing it again"
Something still doesn't sit right with me that the likes of Sean Lancaster can move from Ballycomoyle to st lomans as well as Conor mccrossan to shandonagh from Ballycomoyle, that's a small rural club being robbed of 2 senior standard footballers with no protection from county board

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 28/01/2021 21:19:37    2329463

Link

Stop contradicting yourself Chick, freedom of choice? Ambition? Basically you're saying to play where you want to regardless of address as long as your new club is successful. Pathetic, selfish attitude which goes against the ethos of the Association and luckily vast majority of genuine GAA people don't have that attitude.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 29/01/2021 00:08:06    2329479

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Stop contradicting yourself Chick, freedom of choice? Ambition? Basically you're saying to play where you want to regardless of address as long as your new club is successful. Pathetic, selfish attitude which goes against the ethos of the Association and luckily vast majority of genuine GAA people don't have that attitude."
Really is that what i said, ring young Lancaster and ask him what day when he was 9/10 years old did Lomans arrive at the gate with a shotgun and make him go to Mullingar, you just want to provoke arguements all the time. Personal choices ,not every guy is coerced from his postal address with promises of wads of cash.
Last reply to you ,you just want a reaction and to argue.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 29/01/2021 15:05:24    2329554

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "Really is that what i said, ring young Lancaster and ask him what day when he was 9/10 years old did Lomans arrive at the gate with a shotgun and make him go to Mullingar, you just want to provoke arguements all the time. Personal choices ,not every guy is coerced from his postal address with promises of wads of cash.
Last reply to you ,you just want a reaction and to argue."
Lancaster was poached at 16 by lomans

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 29/01/2021 15:12:54    2329557

Link