Westmeath Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Disappointing effort in the end. Was the second yellow deserved for Jamie Gonoud? Longford managed the ball better than us throughout the game.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 18/03/2018 17:47:26    2085406

Link

Disappointing result but not entirely unexpected. Longford have been excellent throughout league and deserve promotion opportunity. Indiscipline was certainly an issue today, we easily had six or seven cards in second half and apart from being short a man for nearly 30 mins we also conceded frees to go with those cards. Promotion gone now which is a pity.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 18/03/2018 18:42:20    2085450

Link

To be honest lads, I've been reading the boards, concerning your promotion games, with many saying if ye beat fermanagh, ye would get promoted. Personally I couldn't understand this mind set, as I would put Longford westmeath and fermanagh in or around the same standard. To me these games were 50/50. I thought going to the game today, ye might have the edge because of the few players we were missing. Home advantage though makes a difference too, in 50/50 games. Think both defences today were porous, and both teams need to address this going g forward. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 145 - 18/03/2018 18:49:55    2085457

Link

Still to negative , ball not goin in quick enough to the forwards , lads bringing the ball into the tackle and getting stripped of possession!! Press high up the field and play some positive football

athletesfoot (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 18/03/2018 19:42:32    2085492

Link

Unfortunately what we already knew came to a head on Sunday . If John Healin has a bad day then this team dose not have the capacity to win games.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 129 - 19/03/2018 11:22:50    2085725

Link

We were destroyed on kick outs from both ends and management were very slow to react to that. Also, throughout the league the team haven't been clinical at all. Yesterday this came back to haunt them. I don't know why at the start of the second half Connellan didn't go for goal when he it was on. We have massive issues at midfield. We could do with Sharry back but that looks doubtful now. Can't criticise Heslin for missing so many frees yesterday considering how he is performed throughout out the league. A massive disappointment that promotion is gone but be good to beat Offaly to go into the championship on a high. The first game which is likely against Laois is very winnable to get into a Leinster semi final against Kildare.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 919 - 19/03/2018 13:37:37    2085805

Link

longford deserved the win yesterday . we got a great start but when the pressure came on we
were found wanting . physically longford dominated us . and dont forget they were missing mickey quinn and sean mcormack . we have to beat offaly on sunday . i was in o connor park today and if we cannot beat them we are at nothing

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1234 - 19/03/2018 17:31:07    2085903

Link

found it funny here last week lads belittling Longford.
they always, always put it up to Westmeath and seem to have a great spirit about them.

we just don't have enough good footballers to go up another division.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1762 - 19/03/2018 17:48:00    2085913

Link

Interesting match next Sunday. We have nothing to play for while our neighbours will be relegated unless they win.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 19/03/2018 18:18:04    2085927

Link

After plying their trade in D4 last season, Westmeath can be happy that they were able to maintain their D3 status for next season. The jump from D4 to D2 in successive seasons would mean the team struggling in D2 next season.

To have secured their D3 status going into the last match is an accomplishment. No pressure going into last match against Offaly. Can use this match as ideal preparation for championship.

B&G (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 19/03/2018 20:12:14    2085983

Link

Replying To valley84:  "found it funny here last week lads belittling Longford.
they always, always put it up to Westmeath and seem to have a great spirit about them.

we just don't have enough good footballers to go up another division."
I clicked back to the previous page to take a look. Only mentions of Longford by Westmeath posters......

"I wouldn't be writing off Longford, we are both on the same level", "longford will be tough in pearse park", "hopefully we can get something out of that game", "we go to longford in great mood".

The only poster who said Westmeath would win ("handy enough") was a Longford poster.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 268 - 19/03/2018 20:44:07    2086014

Link

Andy, you're wasting your time trying to make an intelligent point to that lad. He's only interested in the negative stuff. Most posters on here contribute to the debate, he certainly doesn't.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 19/03/2018 22:50:23    2086061

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Andy, you're wasting your time trying to make an intelligent point to that lad. He's only interested in the negative stuff. Most posters on here contribute to the debate, he certainly doesn't."
After winning promotion from Division 4 last year surely winning ten points(if we beat Offaly)would be a very good achievement.Nobody underestimated Longford they are a decent team probably better able to comptete in Diviosion 2 than we are just now.We need to find half a dozen guys to add to the panel to make a real effort in 2019.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 811 - 20/03/2018 18:43:55    2086357

Link

Replying To jobber:  "After winning promotion from Division 4 last year surely winning ten points(if we beat Offaly)would be a very good achievement.Nobody underestimated Longford they are a decent team probably better able to comptete in Diviosion 2 than we are just now.We need to find half a dozen guys to add to the panel to make a real effort in 2019."
Fair comment though with nothing to play for I would imagine a lot of the squad players will be getting a run on Sunday. It would be a lift for Leinster football if Longford complete the job and get promoted.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 23/03/2018 07:57:16    2087162

Link

Replying To wonit1time:  "Fair comment though with nothing to play for I would imagine a lot of the squad players will be getting a run on Sunday. It would be a lift for Leinster football if Longford complete the job and get promoted."
Noting to play for? It's offaly vs Westmeath as a supporter its the most important game of the year regardless of how poor Offaly are. The panel players we have could be given a few minutes if we are up at the end of the game.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 23/03/2018 14:13:41    2087256

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "Noting to play for? It's offaly vs Westmeath as a supporter its the most important game of the year regardless of how poor Offaly are. The panel players we have could be given a few minutes if we are up at the end of the game."
Yeah it's important we win but even more important we show something for championship.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 811 - 24/03/2018 00:15:02    2087344

Link

Replying To wonit1time:  "Fair comment though with nothing to play for I would imagine a lot of the squad players will be getting a run on Sunday. It would be a lift for Leinster football if Longford complete the job and get promoted."
Nothing to play for? Offaly will be going all out to avoid relegation. If Offaly win and Sligo lose to Derry then Offaly are safe. Its our last competitive game for 9 weeks so its important to get a performance here.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 24/03/2018 13:33:28    2087412

Link

Shambolick way to end the league , I don't care if there was nothing to play for , or that we rested a few players..

athletesfoot (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 25/03/2018 18:33:16    2087821

Link

i am absolutely gobsmacked at our performance today . its as if we had a divine right to beat offaly . totally
inept in all areas of the field . what the hell were management at . you always field your best team no matter what . this rubbish of nothing to play for rings hollow . i,m surer chops and his cronies will be on saying im mad but ive seen it all before . the amount of diving and complaining our players did was a disgrace . well done to offaly at least they showed pride in their jersey . performing like this will see us have a short summer . not one player came out of there with any dignity with the notable exeption of our player of the league luke loughlin , what a goal from the free . good luck county team i wont be watching yee again this year

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1234 - 25/03/2018 20:49:49    2087942

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i am absolutely gobsmacked at our performance today . its as if we had a divine right to beat offaly . totally
inept in all areas of the field . what the hell were management at . you always field your best team no matter what . this rubbish of nothing to play for rings hollow . i,m surer chops and his cronies will be on saying im mad but ive seen it all before . the amount of diving and complaining our players did was a disgrace . well done to offaly at least they showed pride in their jersey . performing like this will see us have a short summer . not one player came out of there with any dignity with the notable exeption of our player of the league luke loughlin , what a goal from the free . good luck county team i wont be watching yee again this year"
Mick, i gave up on them a while back. I can understand some of the younger brigade on here living in hope that some miracle has happened and that over the winter we all of a sudden became a good team, but, alas, reality has dawned. League tables dont lie. We are a mid table Div 3 team and nothing more. Book the holidays lads, a short summer awaits.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 483 - 26/03/2018 10:44:26    2088169

Link