Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To montheman:  "
Replying To Shelbourne1:  "We need fintan kelly and kieran hughes in midfield and stop trying to position hughes in full forward and hitting high hopeful balls. We've tried it so many times (last resort) and it just doesn't work. He's better out the field for shooting/drawing the foul/passing.
What a load of rubbish ! K Hughes is one of best FFs in Ireland. Only reason not played there more often because of injuries in mid field as at present. You've actually said it yourself ...high hopeful balls into him as a last resort ! Play him FF from start to finish.......we actually won the mid field battle against Cavan & where did it get us ...nowhere. Long diagonal ball into K Hughes all day long .......that's the job ...ask Jim McGuinnes !"
I had to laugh at this post when you said jim mcguiness....it actually proved my point. It worked in the 2013 Ulster final..nearly 6 years ago! Hasn't worked since. If we're still debating his best position in the team 6 years later well it shows the lack of progress under MOR."
Not funny ...it's actually sad. Play players in their best positions...simple as ! Severely lacking options in midfield so Malachy feels the need to place K Hughes there. Even when we have first picks fit in MF Malachy continually puts him MF for kickouts etc. Generally messing the guy around and then when the game is all but lost then moves him FF with Hail Mary shots played into him. Hence ridiculous comments like "stop trying to position hughes in full forward and hitting high hopeful balls".
He's our Plan A & our Plan B positioned at FF for an entire game......imagine how much more potent Mansy & O'Hanlon/McCarthy would be !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 09/06/2019 20:38:15    2192378

Link

Replying To TearsIn85:  "Agree with that. Compared to the preceeding snooze fest, the Cavan / armagh game was very enjoyable."
In fairness much of that due to Fermanagh...although Mon not entirely blameless !
Best way to counter blanket is to push up on their kick outs........certainly would make for a more entertaining game ? Other option is to play blanket ourselves....sadly !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 09/06/2019 20:45:05    2192384

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "In fairness much of that due to Fermanagh...although Mon not entirely blameless !
Best way to counter blanket is to push up on their kick outs........certainly would make for a more entertaining game ? Other option is to play blanket ourselves....sadly !"
We were shite

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 798 - 09/06/2019 21:26:55    2192428

Link

It was 2 limited teams playing stone age football.
Was delighted to see Kearns back, it's a huge credit to him that he's back so soon. K Hughes had a great first half, disappeared in the 2nd.
A win is a win, but look at it this way: Fermanagh dropped 3 short into Rory's arms in the 2nd half, missed a penalty, had a man sent off, and for good measure gifted us a goal. We couldn't have wished for better.
Any decent team would have beaten us, and if we get a decent team in the draw tomorrow, that'll be that.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 09/06/2019 21:59:43    2192448

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "In fairness much of that due to Fermanagh...although Mon not entirely blameless !
Best way to counter blanket is to push up on their kick outs........certainly would make for a more entertaining game ? Other option is to play blanket ourselves....sadly !"
At half time between Donegal and Fermanagh it was 5 points to 4 and it wasn't until 64th minute that Donegal started to pull away. The way Fermanagh set up is virtually impossible to play football against.So glad they are gone out of it and hope they get a change of management soon cos the way they have been coached to play is very sad indeed. We should have nearly all our team back the next day and I'm hoping for fairly decent opposition as Monaghan don't do the fancied tag well. Overall happy with the performance as it was a big improvement on Cavan game. Coming into it steady and still hopeful of super 8's. You can be guaranteed we are the worst possible draw for any team on other side.

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 09/06/2019 22:21:05    2192467

Link

Replying To FarneyLenny:  "At half time between Donegal and Fermanagh it was 5 points to 4 and it wasn't until 64th minute that Donegal started to pull away. The way Fermanagh set up is virtually impossible to play football against.So glad they are gone out of it and hope they get a change of management soon cos the way they have been coached to play is very sad indeed. We should have nearly all our team back the next day and I'm hoping for fairly decent opposition as Monaghan don't do the fancied tag well. Overall happy with the performance as it was a big improvement on Cavan game. Coming into it steady and still hopeful of super 8's. You can be guaranteed we are the worst possible draw for any team on other side."
I'd disagree with you that it's virtually impossible to play against, yes Fermanagh play extremely negative football, but I lost count of the amount of times Monaghan had ball in hand around the D and could've took their scores, yes it's a game of percentages and players are more reluctant in modern football but with the exception of Kieran Hughes nobody was willing to have a go for long periods.
That's what could've easily cost Monaghan today

And regarding being the worst possible draw for someone, half the teams on the other side of the draw will be chomping at the bit to draw Monaghan in the morning and get a crack at them based on today's performance.

an_cearrbhach (Cavan) - Posts: 12 - 09/06/2019 23:27:07    2192523

Link

Carbon copy of last years game.............and almost the same finish.Soul destroying football.....How any Monaghan football person can take any positives out of watching that rubbish is behond me..............

Feel sorry for the players, who look worn out, a break will do no harm now..............Managements failure to blood new players is now coming home to roost.............This outfit is gonna set us back 10 years,all their good work in 2013,14,15 is tarnished......

Monaghan football will still be hear when Malachy O'Rourke is gone.............What state will it be in is the Question.

Mayo or Tyrone away in the morning will put us out of our misery..............and actually might safe us from further damage.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 09/06/2019 23:27:57    2192524

Link

Replying To FarneyLenny:  "At half time between Donegal and Fermanagh it was 5 points to 4 and it wasn't until 64th minute that Donegal started to pull away. The way Fermanagh set up is virtually impossible to play football against.So glad they are gone out of it and hope they get a change of management soon cos the way they have been coached to play is very sad indeed. We should have nearly all our team back the next day and I'm hoping for fairly decent opposition as Monaghan don't do the fancied tag well. Overall happy with the performance as it was a big improvement on Cavan game. Coming into it steady and still hopeful of super 8's. You can be guaranteed we are the worst possible draw for any team on other side."
I certainly admire your optimism !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 09/06/2019 23:33:28    2192525

Link

Having seen both yourselves and Armagh twice this year, I'd say Armagh will win this one, you lads look bereft of ideas, a new voice in the dressing room is probably needed.

Cavan_Shambles (Cavan) - Posts: 376 - 10/06/2019 09:26:12    2192596

Link

And so its another ulster derby. Armagh in Clones. I would have prefered someone from a different province (incl Mayo). But at least they will come to play ball. They looked very good yesterday in fairness to them and had they taken any of the goal chances they could be preparing for an ulster final in a fortnight. This will be a tough game for Monaghan but its probably the game they need.
Great to see Niall Kearns play a full game and fitness is improving every week. And Jack coming on was a plus also. Kieran Hughes showing good form too and was the match winner yesterday along with beggan for the pen save.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 327 - 10/06/2019 09:27:25    2192597

Link

And so it's Armagh... at home I expect a win.

Lightroom (Monaghan) - Posts: 17 - 10/06/2019 09:32:50    2192601

Link

It's a tough draw but there were tougher. In a way the team is as well off finding their true worth than dishing out hammering to div 4 teams. If we can't beat Armagh who are decent but not a top 8 team we have no business playing in the latter stages of the summer. Really need to improve defensively not sure who else to bring in to shore up the centre. Badly missing darren hughes and his defensive qualities. Armagh at least won't be as defensive as fermanagh so could be more open game. Have never seen a team being more defensive than fermanagh in first half yesterday. If they'd played a bit more football probably beaten us.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 10/06/2019 09:50:51    2192620

Link

Seems hard to escape the clutches of the Ulster championship but surely with Fermanagh behind them and Niall Kearns back in the team they should now be looking forward now to taking any team on.
Hopefully the win will give Monaghan a bit of a lift and the couple of weeks break will allow them to come into the next game with more drive. The early goal against Fermanagh could have been a killer though and it's these things that show that there is still something not right in the team. On paper should be better than Armagh but as usual it's there for whoever wants it the most.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 10/06/2019 09:53:48    2192625

Link

Based on form - Armagh should be favourites...
Based on reputation - Monaghan will be!!
Reputation is a dangerous thing in football. Monaghan really need to start living up to theirs!!

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 10/06/2019 10:07:29    2192640

Link

Strange feelings after that game,
We've all seen better games but it was always going to be like that v Fermanagh, as FarneyLenny said it took Donegal 64 minutes to pull away, I think a lot of people be happy to see Fermanagh out myself included as they play a toxic game.

As I said strange feelings, Boyle and McAnespie were there usual consistent selves, Kearns, Rory and Hughes stood up and had great games, Was glad to see more runs and placement being made with Rory's kickouts like last season which he has in his locker and a huge asset although we are also quite open at the back and like Armagh v Cavan if Fermanagh had players to take their chances it could of been summer over for us.

Armagh will be tough opposition, they've had 2 hard games in Clones now so nothing will be new to them, they put up big scores and have some key players that will need watching so match ups will be key here. I feel we play better against better teams so hopefully with the game being in Clones will be a boost, delighted to get a home qualifier.

Credit where credit is due, I felt the management made the right subs yesterday.

Looking forward to the 22nd.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 10/06/2019 10:16:25    2192648

Link

Could have been better, could have been worse. I'm just annoyed it's another Ulster side, it'd be good to get more of a novelty team for a change.

We've not been at the races lately and I know everyone is fed up with it, but we haven't just turned ***** all of a sudden. Hopefully with a couple of dogged games under our belt now, and the like of Kearns and K Hughes getting more game time, we should improve further now.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 10/06/2019 10:18:50    2192650

Link

Happy with getting Armagh and the win is there for us. Armagh were out on their feet yesterday and are after playing 4 really tough games in a row. Young Burns spent night in A&E on a drip due to dehydration and exhaustion and that just shows effort Armagh have expended. When I got home from both games yesterday I watched the Cavan Armagh game back. Armagh do not know how to defend. The amount of space they leave for runners is unreal.on the flip side they have 3 really good forwards but these 3 were the only ones to score for them yesterday. We need to tighten up at back and if we do this Armagh will leave us enough space to put up a score. 7 of monaghans points yesterday came from distance which was good to see. Is there any more improvement in Armagh, I don't think so. Have Monaghan improvement in them, yes loads.

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 10/06/2019 10:57:47    2192698

Link

Why was d Whylie not started yesterday ? Injured ??

mickduffy2009 (Monaghan) - Posts: 181 - 10/06/2019 11:13:08    2192720

Link

Thank God we got over yesterday. What a shambles of a team fermanagh are. I don't mind defensive football but the play acting and feigning injuries was a joke from start to finish. Yesterday was a good day for football to have that share out of the championship.
The lads played well and looked like they had the passion and desire back. Just look at the desire beggan had and even Mc carthys expression after the goal.
Armagh next and what a brilliant draw that is. We get the chance to go out and show that we can score and man mark some of the best forwards in the country. With Darren Hughes back the next day and Walshe back and Jack getting another 2 weeks and free getting more fitness we will be well primed for a serious game against Armagh. Armagh defence is like a melted bowl of butter and we should have the forwards to power through them.
Just a thought on Mc ginn. I thought yesterday was the perfect time to put him on when we didn't have a right footed free taker on the field and when we had an extra man. We just needed a man to score points on the overlap and a few men who came on put the ball short and wide. It's strange because yesterday was not the day where speed was needed

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 193 - 10/06/2019 12:06:27    2192771

Link

Yesterday was a good win vrs a stubborn, terrible, negative team. (did you see the five forwards standing on the 45 at the second half throw in ready to race to the other half? - they then won the throw in and were at a loss of what to do with it. it was so sad to watch)

However, anything but a win yesterday would've been unacceptable. There's been ample opportunity to study Fermanagh and they are essentially a one trick pony.

Similarly, there will be no excuse vrs armagh. There has been plenty of coverage of them during the Ulster champioship and they've shown their hand. A good side but limited - i cant see much new ideas being brought to the table that they didn't bring already... We're coming back to full strength, we're in clones and probably better individual players...

BTW it's mad that meath and especially cork are only one win away from super 8s and we are three...meath i can accept but not cork. That's BS.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 10/06/2019 12:12:17    2192780

Link