Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To farneyman1:  "Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland have walked away from the panel.
Peter O'Hanlon is called into panel and training"
Why have David and Shane Garland left?

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 176 - 03/05/2019 12:06:05    2181621

Link

Cavan would need to improve drastically to beat Monaghan in two weeks. There last two meetings, Monaghan have been much the better team, score line flattered Cavan in 2017, league this year was easy for Monaghan.
If Monaghan play anywhere near there best, they'll win. Cavan have regressed hugely since 2013 and 15, to many players have left there team while Monaghan have hung in there. Cavan should have beaten Monaghan in both those game.

222 (UK) - Posts: 518 - 03/05/2019 12:55:58    2181639

Link

Replying To 222:  "Cavan would need to improve drastically to beat Monaghan in two weeks. There last two meetings, Monaghan have been much the better team, score line flattered Cavan in 2017, league this year was easy for Monaghan.
If Monaghan play anywhere near there best, they'll win. Cavan have regressed hugely since 2013 and 15, to many players have left there team while Monaghan have hung in there. Cavan should have beaten Monaghan in both those game."
Cavan have regressed hugely since 2013 and 15, to many players have left there team while Monaghan have hung in there. Cavan should have beaten Monaghan in both those game."

Nonsense....Monaghan deserved their wins in 2013 & 2015........'should have' usually refers to a team not taking their scoring chances......lack of scoring ability or just downright bottle maybe ! That's why better teams beat lesser teams......by converting their chances into scores. Whenever Monaghan are beaten I would never use that excuse.

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 03/05/2019 13:42:30    2181658

Link

Im struggling to remember 2015 but i do remember we were extremely lucky in 13...they probably deserved a free at the end so they were unlucky but ya need to take your luck in sport...we'll take everything we can get this year and no doubt ill be yapping when/if it doesnt go our way too lol

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 03/05/2019 15:48:59    2181699

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "Im struggling to remember 2015 but i do remember we were extremely lucky in 13...they probably deserved a free at the end so they were unlucky but ya need to take your luck in sport...we'll take everything we can get this year and no doubt ill be yapping when/if it doesnt go our way too lol"
That's right, the night Rory Beggan tucked it under his arm and ran for the touchline!

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 466 - 03/05/2019 16:25:10    2181706

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "That's right, the night Rory Beggan tucked it under his arm and ran for the touchline!"
In 15 Cavan went 4 up midway through second half then we brought on the cavalry from the bench to turn it around. Strangely enough the years we won our ulsters Cavan were hardest opponent in the province. But then local derbies are hard affairs real war of attrition stuff. My worry going in here is we have been found out badly in ulster recently when favourites team just can't get going unless staring defeat in face in these games and it could just be Cavans turn to do a down or fermanagh. Another worry is we didn't have a great summer in 16 when we put in a similar league to the one just gone team was knackered.

Good to hear big o Hanlon on panel if true.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 03/05/2019 17:54:43    2181716

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "That's right, the night Rory Beggan tucked it under his arm and ran for the touchline!"
Beggan definitely fouled the ball alright, but to be fair that balanced up a terrible first half decision when Christopher McGuinness had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 03/05/2019 19:22:39    2181729

Link

Madge, same night that TV clearly showed Chris McGuinness shot was clearly over the Cavan goal line...not only that but also showed the Cavan defender clearly picking the ball of the ground before clearing.

So will take our legitimate goal & give you a late consolation point !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 03/05/2019 19:33:30    2181730

Link

Replying To supermon:  "Beggan definitely fouled the ball alright, but to be fair that balanced up a terrible first half decision when Christopher McGuinness had a perfectly good goal disallowed."
Given that it is 6 years ago at this stage I should probably let it go!
Jaysis it is very quiet on both sides for this year's encounter. Monaghan lads are sounding worried about it which I presume is driven by injuries to big players. Funny enough it might be no harm from your point if view because otherwise you would be hot favourites and we all know what happens happens in those cases....
Cavan supporters are hoping MG is brewing up a master plan but I just don't think we have the forwards to pull it off. Hopefully we can put some high ball pressure on Monaghan FB line- Wylie for all his status can be got at in my opinion.

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 466 - 03/05/2019 19:37:48    2181731

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "Given that it is 6 years ago at this stage I should probably let it go!
Jaysis it is very quiet on both sides for this year's encounter. Monaghan lads are sounding worried about it which I presume is driven by injuries to big players. Funny enough it might be no harm from your point if view because otherwise you would be hot favourites and we all know what happens happens in those cases....
Cavan supporters are hoping MG is brewing up a master plan but I just don't think we have the forwards to pull it off. Hopefully we can put some high ball pressure on Monaghan FB line- Wylie for all his status can be got at in my opinion."
The same Wylie was the best full back in the country last year & should have been an All Star.....I would have had him in instead of Karl O'Connell if you wanted to deny us an extra award !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 04/05/2019 02:18:03    2181771

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "Given that it is 6 years ago at this stage I should probably let it go!
Cavan supporters are hoping MG is brewing up a master plan but I just don't think we have the forwards to pull it off. Hopefully we can put some high ball pressure on Monaghan FB line- Wylie for all his status can be got at in my opinion."
Ye don't have the players for a master-plan to work in my opinion.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 05/05/2019 05:22:58    2181901

Link

role on breffni. cant wait although very nervous. brilliant news that kearns and hughes have played a bit for the clubs. be great to see both named on the bench. the fight for places will be though .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 172 - 05/05/2019 18:22:50    2181989

Link

Replying To farneyman1: "Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland have walked away from the panel.

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 42 - 03/05/2019 12:06:05 2

Not enough game time.....................lucky there wasnt more walking away!!

Peter O'Hanlon isnt on the panel,Kevin got a call up instead...........seems we dont need big men around the middle of the field this summer.....FFS.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 06/05/2019 22:41:28    2182196

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Replying To farneyman1: "Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland have walked away from the panel.

Peter O'Hanlon isnt on the panel,Kevin got a call up instead...........seems we dont need big men around the middle of the field this summer.....FFS."
That's disappointing all round. We don't have the biggest pick in the country and players with that talent are essential in the squad. Donaghmoyne have started the league well. Garland had a good game v Harps. Stephen Finnegan played v well also. Has he left the county set up too?

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 176 - 07/05/2019 13:44:40    2182284

Link

Replying To Gator:  "That's disappointing all round. We don't have the biggest pick in the country and players with that talent are essential in the squad. Donaghmoyne have started the league well. Garland had a good game v Harps. Stephen Finnegan played v well also. Has he left the county set up too?"
Agreed we don't have the biggest pick but malachy likes to focus on his trusted 20 or so players which have largely remained the same over last few years. Any talk of him calling up lads he has shown no interest in over the same period was pretty fanciful talk. He will stick with tried and trusted for summer ahead and gamble on the Hughes Kearns etc being right when the big tests come round. Not saying right strategy just what will happen. Might work against Cavan but think will get found out against Armagh or Down.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 08/05/2019 10:06:50    2182424

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Replying To farneyman1: "Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland have walked away from the panel.

Peter O'Hanlon isnt on the panel,Kevin got a call up instead...........seems we dont need big men around the middle of the field this summer.....FFS."
What is Kevin O'Hanlon like?
Never seen him play so what position is he? would he make an impact?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 08/05/2019 10:25:12    2182425

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Agreed we don't have the biggest pick but malachy likes to focus on his trusted 20 or so players which have largely remained the same over last few years. Any talk of him calling up lads he has shown no interest in over the same period was pretty fanciful talk. He will stick with tried and trusted for summer ahead and gamble on the Hughes Kearns etc being right when the big tests come round. Not saying right strategy just what will happen. Might work against Cavan but think will get found out against Armagh or Down."
If we get found out against Armagh / Down ... it's defo not the right strategy. There seems to be a general lack of confidence in management after the league. You can only hope they know where they are at and play the best 15 from the start of each game, leave the conservative stuff behind them. Tyrone have made a significant change to their game plan and are suddenly looking like a team that can trouble Dublin. More of the same from Monaghan ... ie. using only 18 players in the heat of summer in the games that count..... and we'll struggle for sure. In reference to your original comment..... if we don't make an Ulster Final this year ....after the Down & Fermanagh semis that have just gone ..... this Management's tenure will be looked on as a missed opportunity. 2 Ulster titles aside.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 08/05/2019 12:41:00    2182456

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "If we get found out against Armagh / Down ... it's defo not the right strategy. There seems to be a general lack of confidence in management after the league. You can only hope they know where they are at and play the best 15 from the start of each game, leave the conservative stuff behind them. Tyrone have made a significant change to their game plan and are suddenly looking like a team that can trouble Dublin. More of the same from Monaghan ... ie. using only 18 players in the heat of summer in the games that count..... and we'll struggle for sure. In reference to your original comment..... if we don't make an Ulster Final this year ....after the Down & Fermanagh semis that have just gone ..... this Management's tenure will be looked on as a missed opportunity. 2 Ulster titles aside."
No your right there whatever about winning ulster which has to be the aim every year particularly with the draw the way it is not getting to the final would be the end of the road for half the team and the management. We had a great summer last year no doubt but the super 8s opened up a bit with Kerry being poor and mayo not there and it did gloss over the absolute disaster we had against fermanagh where we left an Ulster title behind. The team will meet the same kind of opponent ravenous underdogs shortly in either Cavan or Armagh/Down and we will see then what is there. Put it this way how do you think Tyrone or Donegal would fare on this side of the draw. There would be no messing about with defensive style keeping it tight till final ten mins and they'd get to the final handily enough. This has to be our standard. If its not we have no business mixing with the big boys later in the summer.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 08/05/2019 13:24:15    2182471

Link

I think Cavan should pull out altogether and also the winners of Armagh /Down and just give yous a free ride to the Ulster final - no point in us " ravenous underdogs" getting in the way of progress. Monaghan are too good to be mixing it with the likes of us. After all yous have more All -Irelands than any of the other three - oh wait !

tenyearplan (Cavan) - Posts: 129 - 08/05/2019 20:00:20    2182588

Link

Replying To tenyearplan:  "I think Cavan should pull out altogether and also the winners of Armagh /Down and just give yous a free ride to the Ulster final - no point in us " ravenous underdogs" getting in the way of progress. Monaghan are too good to be mixing it with the likes of us. After all yous have more All -Irelands than any of the other three - oh wait !"
Cavan could well beat Monaghan in 2 weeks. You have possibly the best midfielder in Ulster,when fit, against ... no true midfield ... which will be a huge factor if Cavan play it right. In fact Monaghan could well lose to Down / Armagh also, based on the last few years.

Point being made I think is that we are coming off an All Ireland semi while Cavan have underachieved at senior level since 97 .... despite all those U-21 titles. Plus your forwards in the league a few months ago where poor, to say the least. So Mon obviously favourites .... but only just.

With just one Ulster title in exactly 50 years ...... I'd be banging that All Ireland drum too ... fairly hard

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 09/05/2019 10:51:38    2182677

Link