Paul Doherty
Adrian Faherty
Brian O'Donoghue

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 488 - 09/04/2020 01:28:12    2275582

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Paul Doherty
Adrian Faherty
Brian O'Donoghue"
I forgot about those until you mentioned them. Wouldn't have them a head of Martin Mac. His kick outs has him a head imo. But to be fair they were all playing in lesser quality Galway teams so were never going to look as good.

I remember Doherty as being pretty decent and BO'D as being a good shot stopper but not sure about his kick out. Have no memory of Faherty.

I think I've tried to wipe a period of Galway football from my brain!!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1236 - 09/04/2020 10:45:06    2275593

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I forgot about those until you mentioned them. Wouldn't have them a head of Martin Mac. His kick outs has him a head imo. But to be fair they were all playing in lesser quality Galway teams so were never going to look as good.

I remember Doherty as being pretty decent and BO'D as being a good shot stopper but not sure about his kick out. Have no memory of Faherty.

I think I've tried to wipe a period of Galway football from my brain!!"
How about the man with the medal from Killererin?

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 09/04/2020 15:17:33    2275616

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Paul Clancy was a better 6 than John Divilly, and Shane Walsh and Damian Comer haven't come remotely close to matching his level of productivity or achievement as a forward."
Ok, so you're clearly takin the mick here. Clancy a better 6 than Divilly? Right.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 09/04/2020 18:14:48    2275628

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "How about the man with the medal from Killererin?"
Good player, great guy. Wouldn't be as good a goalkeeper as the three named. Probably better than Martin Mac.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 488 - 10/04/2020 00:02:09    2275668

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "I was always found it strange how quickly Divilly disappeared from the scene in the years after 98. In saying that however, at least he's making a significant impact as a coach."
Him and Michael Donnellan were basically at the end intercounty wise at about 26 or 27.

Really when you think that team in 98 was choc full of 21 year olds (with the likes of KW, Ja, Sean Og Mannion and Finnegan) and Declan Meehan, Joe Bergin, Finian Hanley, Michael Meehan and Sean Armstrong were about to hit the scene in the coming years, really 2 All Irelands and it all over by 2004/5 was almost underachieving as ridiculous as that sounds for a team that won 2 all irelands and made another. Really only PJ of those 21 year olds went on to have an indian summer of an intercounty career playing unbelievable stuff till he was 35. Savo, Michael D, Divilly, and then Army, Michael Meehan, Bergin, Cormac Bane, and plenty others all had injury ravaged careers probably because they played crazy amounts of football at very young ages across many teams.

What could have been eh?

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 10/04/2020 13:32:15    2275699

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Him and Michael Donnellan were basically at the end intercounty wise at about 26 or 27.

Really when you think that team in 98 was choc full of 21 year olds (with the likes of KW, Ja, Sean Og Mannion and Finnegan) and Declan Meehan, Joe Bergin, Finian Hanley, Michael Meehan and Sean Armstrong were about to hit the scene in the coming years, really 2 All Irelands and it all over by 2004/5 was almost underachieving as ridiculous as that sounds for a team that won 2 all irelands and made another. Really only PJ of those 21 year olds went on to have an indian summer of an intercounty career playing unbelievable stuff till he was 35. Savo, Michael D, Divilly, and then Army, Michael Meehan, Bergin, Cormac Bane, and plenty others all had injury ravaged careers probably because they played crazy amounts of football at very young ages across many teams.

What could have been eh?"
Back in those days I don't think there was as much emphasis on recovery to put it mildly!

Also there seemed to be a pride taken in running the county lads into the ground by college/ club managers.

I don't think there was too many taking a holistic approach to training ie. You did running sessions already with county don't do them with us. I think opposite was often the case.

Donnellans groin injury was a classic overtraining injur. Awful pity because even at 60% he was some player

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1236 - 11/04/2020 12:00:45    2275760

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Back in those days I don't think there was as much emphasis on recovery to put it mildly!

Also there seemed to be a pride taken in running the county lads into the ground by college/ club managers.

I don't think there was too many taking a holistic approach to training ie. You did running sessions already with county don't do them with us. I think opposite was often the case.

Donnellans groin injury was a classic overtraining injur. Awful pity because even at 60% he was some player"
The "special treatment" he got from the Kerry lads in 2000 didn't help much either...

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 11/04/2020 19:19:54    2275778

Link

On another note who would you regard as the worst group of players to have worn the jersey from 98-Present? Nothing personal, just based on ability!

Midge (Galway) - Posts: 13 - 30/04/2020 22:35:50    2277159

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Yes those 4. Sean Kelly, John Daly, McDaid, Flynn(based on past 2 years form), Brannigan, M Daly, Ian Burke if they fulfil their potential by the end of their careers have that level of quality but whether they deliver in next few years or not is the question for me"
My Lord,

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 17/07/2020 09:36:33    2284286

Link

Replying To Midge:  "On another note who would you regard as the worst group of players to have worn the jersey from 98-Present? Nothing personal, just based on ability!"
That reminds me of a old story told down here. From about the 1950s to the mid nineties a former Limerick hurler used run a hackney service and was engaged to transport county players from all over the county to training. In his later years, whenever he would collect a young player for the first time he would welcome and regale them about all the great stars he had carried, like the Quaids, Dermot Kelly Tom McGarry, the Hartigans, the Herberts, the Cregans, The Foleys etc- all basically fine county players of his time. When the young lad was suitably puffed up that he was following in the path of 'great ones' his newly found mentor would bring him back down to earth by appraising him of the fat that ' I also carried some of the most useless 'hoors that ever put a jersey on their back'

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 152 - 17/07/2020 10:12:05    2284294

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Him and Michael Donnellan were basically at the end intercounty wise at about 26 or 27.

What could have been eh?"
What you are saying, and it could be applied to a lot of these players, was illustrated in a remark passed by a current affairs person on radio prior to the 2017 All Hurler Under 21 Final. When Cian Lynch's name was mentioned this observer said 'sure he can't be still playing under 21, he seems to have been around for ever'. It was a passing indication of the amount of games very young lads play at the moment and the amount of over exposure they get.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 152 - 17/07/2020 10:22:17    2284297

Link