Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Really:  "I was disappointed Galway, having put in good early league performances didn't target a league title. IMO it should have been a priority. Make no mistake, if top teams like Dublin or Kerry get a sniff of ultimate league success, they will go flat out to win it.
I don't know what contract Conroy had with TG4 for u-20 match yesterday, and granted he played well today, but still it displayed a lack of commitment for today's game. Could he have been excused?
Watching the game unfold, Graham Souness' analagy constantly came to mind - "Find the Dope!" only that Galway were being constantly exposed.

Make no mistake, this is a good Mayo team in the making - plenty of speed and power, and no little scoring power. From a S&C perspective, Galway are well off the standard required. However, they can consider themselves lucky they got an early wake-up call."
Lack of commitment? A man who has been playing with Galway since 2007, galways motm today for what its worth. What a ridiculous comment sir

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 18/10/2020 20:13:33    2298903

Link

From watching the other games on TV over the Weekend......Roscommon and Donegal are flying likewise Mayo, even Tyrone and Armagh are going well, but it looks like Galway with 2 Weeks left before Championship need to get a new Goalkeeper and Full Back!
Luckily it's only a Division 4 team (Sligo) in the Semi Final!
P.S ......Roscommon will suffocate Mayo in the other Semi Final, they won't let the Mayo Corner Backs dance their way through the opponents defence.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 18/10/2020 20:28:38    2298912

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Good interview from Joyce after the match

100% honest and no sugarcoating it which you have to respect." Lads who hadnt even broken a sweat at half time". I'd hate to be those lads at training the next night. Even in our worst days when PJs best days were behind him he gave it everything in the maroon and his trophy cabinet was full. No one should deem themselves worthy to put on that jersey under his management and not give it everything ( I'd feel the same about KW too, 2 of our greatest ever)"
I sooner see management doing a poor interview but better preparation and performance from his team. People might think that's a bit harsh but I'm open to correcting, is this not the heaviest defeat we suffered from Mayo on our home patch.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 18/10/2020 20:31:24    2298915

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "As pointed out by another poster, the stage of preps for the championship (sort of training being done) etc. needs to be taken into account, so only the lads in the panel know the true context of what happened today. These days are always a risk when two teams operating at different stages meet. I think things will have levelled up by the time Galway meet the Rossies or ourselves.

How many of today's Galway defence would be regarded as first choice?"
Sean kelly is first choice full back.. john Daly first choice centre back.. Sean Mulkerrin carrying a knock..
All three definitely starters..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 18/10/2020 20:33:25    2298918

Link

Replying To nohandpass:  "Time for Power to get a run, you need to be winning your own kickout at this level to have any chance"
Annual Bernie Power shouts. Its like people dont remember the Tipp game the Mayo game etc.

Not the answer.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 325 - 18/10/2020 20:49:45    2298927

Link

Replying To Toman:  "I sooner see management doing a poor interview but better preparation and performance from his team. People might think that's a bit harsh but I'm open to correcting, is this not the heaviest defeat we suffered from Mayo on our home patch."
I'd prefer a a better performance over a good interview too but I prefer the honesty rather than making excuses for how bad we played

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 18/10/2020 21:11:39    2298941

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "All these lads have other jobs. If we played on saturday many wouldve been working on Friday some doing physical labour.

None of these lads should be expected to turn down paid work. Ridiculous to question Conroys commitment for taking a job. They have bills to pay like the rest of us"
Not blaming him personally - management's job is to manage as a collective. And imo if a team is serious about performing to the highest standard, then preparation has to be perfect. That's what top teams do! Again, only my opinion.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 18/10/2020 21:12:48    2298942

Link

Replying To katser:  "From watching the other games on TV over the Weekend......Roscommon and Donegal are flying likewise Mayo, even Tyrone and Armagh are going well, but it looks like Galway with 2 Weeks left before Championship need to get a new Goalkeeper and Full Back!
Luckily it's only a Division 4 team (Sligo) in the Semi Final!
P.S ......Roscommon will suffocate Mayo in the other Semi Final, they won't let the Mayo Corner Backs dance their way through the opponents defence."
Gleason has played very well for Galway in the league pre covit, today he had a nightmare, his kick outs were poor and definitely at fault for last Goal. He needs to analyse this match and learn. I would not drop him on one bad game. Sean Andy was the victim of a master class from O Shea . He should have been taken of and someone else put on O Shea. Sean Andy still has a lot to offer Galway but no hiding it today was a bad day for him. One other person who is at fault is the house hold who put up on social media Jimmy training session. This was an unwelcome distraction for the team all week.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 18/10/2020 21:14:34    2298945

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Gleason has played very well for Galway in the league pre covit, today he had a nightmare, his kick outs were poor and definitely at fault for last Goal. He needs to analyse this match and learn. I would not drop him on one bad game. Sean Andy was the victim of a master class from O Shea . He should have been taken of and someone else put on O Shea. Sean Andy still has a lot to offer Galway but no hiding it today was a bad day for him. One other person who is at fault is the house hold who put up on social media Jimmy training session. This was an unwelcome distraction for the team all week."
Gleeson was terrible today and kick outs back earlier in the year were also very questionable

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 18/10/2020 21:20:54    2298954

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Annual Bernie Power shouts. Its like people dont remember the Tipp game the Mayo game etc.

Not the answer."
I would take him over Gleeson though all day.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 18/10/2020 21:32:50    2298961

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Gleason has played very well for Galway in the league pre covit, today he had a nightmare, his kick outs were poor and definitely at fault for last Goal. He needs to analyse this match and learn. I would not drop him on one bad game. Sean Andy was the victim of a master class from O Shea . He should have been taken of and someone else put on O Shea. Sean Andy still has a lot to offer Galway but no hiding it today was a bad day for him. One other person who is at fault is the house hold who put up on social media Jimmy training session. This was an unwelcome distraction for the team all week."
Don't want to kick a man when he's down but anyone who has watched Gleeson play over a period of time will not have been overly surprised with what happened today.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 18/10/2020 21:36:46    2298963

Link

Need to keep a cool head on this defeat. First big set back for Joyce and his management team. They need to learn fast from this. Even though in his interview he said he wouldn't throw the players under the bus, I don't think he took a whole pile of responsibility either. While honesty is good for us supporters, its important to get the message out to the players that you'll support them in public. Alex Fergusson was brilliant at this.
Nothing went right today for them and that's before considering missing players like Walsh, Steede, Kelly, Mulkerrins. Comer going off big loss. Huge options for kick outs not available as a result. Galway not doin enough work on short kick out options, goalie lost the plot a bit when longer option not working.
Don't buy talk of S&C being the problem, that's the easy option after defeat. Some players lacked out and out pace that played today, that wont change much with a changed S&C programme. They probably wont be there for c'ship.
Key thing now is to get key players back, build up everyone else's confidence. Everyone will be intent on making amends for today's defeat, which is a league game after all. Keep the faith.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 18/10/2020 21:39:45    2298964

Link

Where's mulkerrins gone? Is he still on the panel?

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 18/10/2020 22:30:31    2298973

Link

Poor performance from 1-15 today in my opinion ! Don't think any of the lads could hold there hand up and say I played well ! But I say they know that themselves ! What the players don't need is there so called " fans " on there back after one bad performance ! A lot of key board fans around here !
First bad performance under PJ and it was the the first competitive game in over 6 months , yeah they got it wrong today And were off the pace but missing players etc didn't help !
Get behind the team and stop the moaning !!
Thought one thing did stand out was the loss of John Daly in the backline , missed him big time awful open down the centre today ! He brings a calming presence ! Missed his organisation skills , confidence on the ball And his drive going forward !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 19/10/2020 00:24:55    2298992

Link

A National League trophy on the line, a chance to relegate the arch enemy & a chance to build momentum prior to the upcoming C'ship game, failed in all three, so highly unlikely that Galway were keeping their cards close to their chest.
Players obviously unaware of the new rule changes, which beggars belief at this level.
All the underage dominance by Galway, yet Mayo had 5 new players today who were highly impressive.
Every county has had the same break, every county knew the dates of rearranged games & had time to plan their preparations, yet Galway looked way off the pace & the difference in conditioning & fitness was noticeable. Kick out strategy is a problem, very hard to fix in a matter of a few weeks.
Some lads don't seem to be pulling with each other, seems to be a lot of individuals doing their own thing.
Mayo always produce footballers & focus on skillful players at underage, Galway GAA went down the road of athletes over skill & while it might work at underage, at senior InterCounty level it doesn't work. The skill level of Mayo today was impressive, way ahead of Galway. Mark Moran off both feet pinging pin point passes to O Shea.
James Horan acknowledged that they worked with the clubs during club C'ship & picked fellas with form from their club C'ship. Nobody who shone in the Galway club C'ship given a game or even making the squad. In fact the complete opposite, lads who played very poorly in Galway club C'ship or who played very little due to repetitive injury given game time. Mark Moran proved how form makes a difference.
Jimmy Mc Guinness has his work cut out, shocking defensive display, lot of lads living off reputations from minor & U21, but haven't produced for a number of years, despite loads of chances.
Only redemption now is to give the Dubs a hiding in Pearse Stadium next Sunday. p

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1049 - 19/10/2020 00:38:38    2298993

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Where's mulkerrins gone? Is he still on the panel?"
Just to refresh your memory the defeat by Mayo I 2012 in salthill was the worst 2 red cards and Andy Moran came back at the end of game coming back from knee surgery and scored a goal and got astanding ovation from the Mayo supporters. Who by the way outnumbered the Galway supporters 2 to 1 in salthill

fishpond (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 19/10/2020 04:59:22    2299003

Link

what's the story with Ian Burke? Hard see what he bring to the Galway team in last few years. Personally i always taught it was a joke he got an All Star before Comer and Walsh the year he got one and felt he got the nod due to his club performances. That said it was his best year with the county.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 565 - 19/10/2020 08:41:51    2299015

Link

Replying To TwoYellowCards:  "With all due respect, don't come onto the forum and make a comment like that, either come and and say it or keep it to yourself. There is no pont in half mentioning it"
Let management figure it out. They and the rest of the players know who's not prepping off the field and who is. Also, with all due respect to you, I'm entitled to comment as I see fit. If I don't want to name names, that's my prerogative.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 293 - 19/10/2020 08:51:31    2299016

Link

Goose is cooked if Comer is out. Better off blooding a few youngsters with an eye to next year. Galway U20 Keeper looked fairly promising barring an error early in the first half.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 273 - 19/10/2020 09:20:05    2299022

Link

Gleeson had a stinker but he was doing ok up to now. They will persist with him at this stage as putting another goalie in to face the dubs with championship literally around the corner will be a big ask for anyone imo. Sean Andy is so finished its not even funny. When was the last time he played a decent game ? He used to look average under KW when the played a packed defence but after a while that dwindled. Conroy looks unfit and Ian Burke for all the talk about how class he is was very poor. Jason Leonard clearly not at this level and that was evident, a very good club player but that is it. They better pray Shane Walsh comes back firing on all cylinders otherwise it will be a short season.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 19/10/2020 09:22:10    2299023

Link