Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "Ffs they have Roscommon we have Sligo..
They haven't won Connacht in 5 years..
Roscommon bet them and us last year..
That's a massive game for them.. you could see that were flying it and are weeks ahead.. more worried is that we were absolutely clueless on the sideline"
But sure we will be playing either them or Roscommon the following week in the final.
It's not like we have an extra months prep time.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 18/10/2020 18:03:28    2298830

Link

could anybody name the galway team for next day v the dubs .

3inarowsham (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 18/10/2020 18:05:08    2298831

Link

This was a shocking performance today and we shouldn't sugar coat or underestimate the damage it could do on the short or long run. Nobody (players or management) came off the field today satisfied with their personal performances and with Dublin on the horizon it could get a lot worse which would be a disaster for a teams confidence on the run in to the c'ship.
All the old failings were on display today, goalkeeper, kick out strategy, midfield, tackling etc and Joyce has his work cut out to resurrect his battered troops.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 18/10/2020 18:06:16    2298834

Link

Replying To galwaylad89:  "Elaborate?"
I wouldn't like to, to be honest. These are young lads and amateurs but the approach of a couple of them doesn't merit getting a jersey.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 293 - 18/10/2020 18:16:14    2298839

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Didn't see that coming, thought we might sneak it, but was expecting a lot more intensity from Galway. I honestly don't think either side will dwell too long on today's result. Mayo could still get relegated on 7 points if we finish level with Monaghan or Donegal, but we still have a chance if other results go our way. Galway will need to reorganize for the Dubs. Galway will definitely make the Connacht final and with players back will be a different animal for Mayo or the Rossies."
IMO it will be difficult for Galway to regroup after this shambles. Agree Shane will make a difference but our difficulties run way deeper than this. Goalie, full back, wing backs and midfield in serious trouble today. Sideline looking clueless.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 18/10/2020 18:17:14    2298840

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Yup and everyone calling for o donnell to hang up his boots yet our last championship match where we also played mayo o'Donnell was the only one to take the fight to them

Mgmt entirely to blame for this when majority of your players go out to play without the right mindset and look beaten in the first few mins the mgmt are 100% to blame. Not having played a game in months and against Mayo it shouldnt have taken much to motivate these lads.

Feel sorry for Conroy and O Donnell having to play without any help from those around them

Stay safe everyone. We will get through this with or without football"
This is the same mgmt that trained the team to beat Tyrone by 18 points. Lets see what happens next Sunday. It seened to me, and I spoke about it here that several of our county top players were only average in the club championship. Corofin lads seem burned out. The preformance of John Daly was the difference in us winning at least 2 of the 4 games we have won so far. He is a massive loss. Mayo, fair play to them, were super today, and the input of K Mac has made a huge difference. McDaid did well after such a long lay off. Flynn made a difference also. Hopefully the Kellys will be available next weekend.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 18/10/2020 18:30:58    2298844

Link

I was disappointed Galway, having put in good early league performances didn't target a league title. IMO it should have been a priority. Make no mistake, if top teams like Dublin or Kerry get a sniff of ultimate league success, they will go flat out to win it.
I don't know what contract Conroy had with TG4 for u-20 match yesterday, and granted he played well today, but still it displayed a lack of commitment for today's game. Could he have been excused?
Watching the game unfold, Graham Souness' analagy constantly came to mind - "Find the Dope!" only that Galway were being constantly exposed.

Make no mistake, this is a good Mayo team in the making - plenty of speed and power, and no little scoring power. From a S&C perspective, Galway are well off the standard required. However, they can consider themselves lucky they got an early wake-up call.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 18/10/2020 19:08:13    2298858

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "This is the same mgmt that trained the team to beat Tyrone by 18 points. Lets see what happens next Sunday. It seened to me, and I spoke about it here that several of our county top players were only average in the club championship. Corofin lads seem burned out. The preformance of John Daly was the difference in us winning at least 2 of the 4 games we have won so far. He is a massive loss. Mayo, fair play to them, were super today, and the input of K Mac has made a huge difference. McDaid did well after such a long lay off. Flynn made a difference also. Hopefully the Kellys will be available next weekend."
Only sean kelly is on senior panel..paul kelly is still u19..

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 18/10/2020 19:09:20    2298860

Link

Good interview from Joyce after the match

100% honest and no sugarcoating it which you have to respect." Lads who hadnt even broken a sweat at half time". I'd hate to be those lads at training the next night. Even in our worst days when PJs best days were behind him he gave it everything in the maroon and his trophy cabinet was full. No one should deem themselves worthy to put on that jersey under his management and not give it everything ( I'd feel the same about KW too, 2 of our greatest ever)

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 18/10/2020 19:12:17    2298861

Link

Not that it made any difference at this of the game it was well gone from them, but I can't understand why Sean Andy didn't cover the goal for Gleeson when he was out of the goals for the 3rd goal?? Sean Andy just standing there on the far post!! A lot of intelligence needs to be pumped into these lads!!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 18/10/2020 19:35:54    2298872

Link

Galway have some great u20's coming through. And will improve against the Dubs next week. This match just caught out some of our lads, coming after a 7 month lay off.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1927 - 18/10/2020 19:42:25    2298873

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "Only sean kelly is on senior panel..paul kelly is still u19.."
Paul Kelly was called up as well but he won't be free until the U-20's are finished next weekend.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1786 - 18/10/2020 19:46:39    2298879

Link

Replying To Really:  "I was disappointed Galway, having put in good early league performances didn't target a league title. IMO it should have been a priority. Make no mistake, if top teams like Dublin or Kerry get a sniff of ultimate league success, they will go flat out to win it.
I don't know what contract Conroy had with TG4 for u-20 match yesterday, and granted he played well today, but still it displayed a lack of commitment for today's game. Could he have been excused?
Watching the game unfold, Graham Souness' analagy constantly came to mind - "Find the Dope!" only that Galway were being constantly exposed.

Make no mistake, this is a good Mayo team in the making - plenty of speed and power, and no little scoring power. From a S&C perspective, Galway are well off the standard required. However, they can consider themselves lucky they got an early wake-up call."
All these lads have other jobs. If we played on saturday many wouldve been working on Friday some doing physical labour.

None of these lads should be expected to turn down paid work. Ridiculous to question Conroys commitment for taking a job. They have bills to pay like the rest of us

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 18/10/2020 19:50:26    2298882

Link

Time for Power to get a run, you need to be winning your own kickout at this level to have any chance

nohandpass (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 18/10/2020 19:57:37    2298885

Link

Replying To Really:  "I was disappointed Galway, having put in good early league performances didn't target a league title. IMO it should have been a priority. Make no mistake, if top teams like Dublin or Kerry get a sniff of ultimate league success, they will go flat out to win it.

Make no mistake, this is a good Mayo team in the making - plenty of speed and power, and no little scoring power. From a S&C perspective, Galway are well off the standard required. However, they can consider themselves lucky they got an early wake-up call."
Ah you have cracked it. That is why we lost today, our best player on the day was at an U-20 match yesterday working for TG4. He should have been doing a 24hour warm up for today's game instead.
I've heard a lot of poor takes in my time, but that one is right up there!

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 18/10/2020 19:59:16    2298888

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "I wouldn't like to, to be honest. These are young lads and amateurs but the approach of a couple of them doesn't merit getting a jersey."
With all due respect, don't come onto the forum and make a comment like that, either come and and say it or keep it to yourself. There is no pont in half mentioning it

TwoYellowCards (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 18/10/2020 19:59:49    2298889

Link

Replying To Toman:  "IMO it will be difficult for Galway to regroup after this shambles. Agree Shane will make a difference but our difficulties run way deeper than this. Goalie, full back, wing backs and midfield in serious trouble today. Sideline looking clueless."
As pointed out by another poster, the stage of preps for the championship (sort of training being done) etc. needs to be taken into account, so only the lads in the panel know the true context of what happened today. These days are always a risk when two teams operating at different stages meet. I think things will have levelled up by the time Galway meet the Rossies or ourselves.

How many of today's Galway defence would be regarded as first choice?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2193 - 18/10/2020 20:00:00    2298890

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "Only sean kelly is on senior panel..paul kelly is still u19.."
Both are in with seniors

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 18/10/2020 20:04:20    2298894

Link

Personally I think that's a bit harsh on Conroy. He was asked to do commentary on u20 game so what. I would agree a small bit with you if Conroy didn't put in a performance today but he is one of the few individuals in this team who appears to wear the jersey with pride. I would go so far as saying himself and G.O.D showed up a lot of the fancy dans today. I would have huge?? about the fitness of at least 10 of the lads togged today. If this was championship we could easily have shipped at least 3 black cards today. On another note if league gets finished (which I doubt) I can't see championship going ahead. If championship does go ahead I can't see all the wrongs in this Galway performance been fixed in 2 or 3 weeks.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 18/10/2020 20:08:35    2298898

Link

I don't see why Conroy should be accused of displaying a lack of commitment. If players are expected to take a day off work before every match then the demands on county players have truly gotten ridiculous. He was one of the few Galway players who actually demonstrated real commitment out on the pitch where it matters.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 840 - 18/10/2020 20:10:54    2298901

Link