Galway Forum

Galway Schools Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To moc.dna:  "It's not the main thing, inter county makes up less than 2% of the total membership of the Association. It seems everything now has to be geared towards inter county. The first thing the GAA should be promoting is participation & inclusivity, not everyone is going to be an inter county player. Inclusivity means that everyone can participate & when they can't you lose these people as members, players, supporters, sponsors, coaches, volunteers, fundraisers & so on. Anyways it's too late now as people no longer care or commit to GAA as they don't feel part of it & most especially at post primary school where support structures are abysmal."
That's a completely different argument in fairness and not one I disagree with.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1787 - 18/02/2020 22:54:04    2268386

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "It's not the main thing, inter county makes up less than 2% of the total membership of the Association. It seems everything now has to be geared towards inter county. The first thing the GAA should be promoting is participation & inclusivity, not everyone is going to be an inter county player. Inclusivity means that everyone can participate & when they can't you lose these people as members, players, supporters, sponsors, coaches, volunteers, fundraisers & so on. Anyways it's too late now as people no longer care or commit to GAA as they don't feel part of it & most especially at post primary school where support structures are abysmal."
Agree good Post but this needs to be addressed at schools also. I know for definitive Jarlaths school are in too high of divisions. They have the numbers but not the personal to coach and train. What happens then is they start off with great numbers training at start of year. Then when competitive games come they leave their best 15 (that probably should read what they think is best 15) on the field trying to win which they usually dont. Then lads who have been training all along and don't get game time walk. Point been if they had cop to drop down a division they could start what they think is best 15. Then they might start winning and in doing so blend in the lads who normally walk away. Its called as u rightly say promoting participation.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 19/02/2020 07:56:08    2268396

Link

We have to be realistic nowadays. School sport at all codes is a long way behind the club and county in terms of importance. The weather is abysmal, cold and wet and pitches are usually never in good condition. Lads like playing as they get to play with lads from other clubs and get out of school for the day. Whether they win or lose is usually isnt important to them. Also we have such a vast array of post primary schools that parents/pupils are not going there for sport anymore but to be educated and to go to a school that is convenient for them to get home/catch a bus home not to play sport.A bit unfair on the teachers in St Jarlaths as they have very high profile GAA teachers in the school who give up their time voluntarily.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 19/02/2020 14:02:01    2268441

Link

Replying To philip3:  "We have to be realistic nowadays. School sport at all codes is a long way behind the club and county in terms of importance. The weather is abysmal, cold and wet and pitches are usually never in good condition. Lads like playing as they get to play with lads from other clubs and get out of school for the day. Whether they win or lose is usually isnt important to them. Also we have such a vast array of post primary schools that parents/pupils are not going there for sport anymore but to be educated and to go to a school that is convenient for them to get home/catch a bus home not to play sport.A bit unfair on the teachers in St Jarlaths as they have very high profile GAA teachers in the school who give up their time voluntarily."
If I'm honest I saw those so called high profile coaches. Some of them bringing players around town sprinting after school and then going back for training session. Also to say school football lads don't care whether they win or loose is untrue. Anyway ur statement contradict itself ie if they play championship and get bet they're out.. this stops ur initial sentence of saying all they want is time off going to matches.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 19/02/2020 16:14:31    2268467

Link

Replying To Toman:  "If I'm honest I saw those so called high profile coaches. Some of them bringing players around town sprinting after school and then going back for training session. Also to say school football lads don't care whether they win or loose is untrue. Anyway ur statement contradict itself ie if they play championship and get bet they're out.. this stops ur initial sentence of saying all they want is time off going to matches."
I get the impression your young lad did'nt make the Jarlaths team. Lads develop at different rates so dont be taking it out on the teachers who volunteer their time. remember they could be sipping coffee in the canteen rather than bringing the lads to matches etc.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 22/02/2020 10:51:05    2268942

Link

Replying To philip3:  "I get the impression your young lad did'nt make the Jarlaths team. Lads develop at different rates so dont be taking it out on the teachers who volunteer their time. remember they could be sipping coffee in the canteen rather than bringing the lads to matches etc."
I get the impression ur either a teacher or friends of someone in Jarlaths. And no I dont have a son in Jarlaths, I have a nephew who I told was washing his time and to concentrate on club and country u17. As regards sipping coffee, they have plenty of time for that now.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 22/02/2020 16:04:13    2269022

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "an added difficulty to galway school teams progression is the centre of excellence in mayo
extra travel for the majority of galway schools and then to be faced with mayo refs (saving on ref expenses) leads to often biased situation. on occasion the ref could even be from the club of the school team that are playing.... really fighting the odds up there and when finals are reached the greater accessibility to mayo schools means greater support can travel..."
Ridiculous comment. Thankfully the Jarlath's domination of all schools in Connacht is over.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10352 - 22/02/2020 16:59:59    2269030

Link

The whole debate abour senior schools football and intercounty minor is not relevant anymore
The age group for senior schools is u 18/19 is more likely these lads are involved at u20 county level
and in a lot of cases due to the leaving cert lads dont even play at u20 forthat year either
The inter county minor is now u17 so in fact its the junior school grade that were looking at
And its clear galway schools are very prominent now at this grade
Schools like Claregalway the Bish doing well

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 23/02/2020 10:46:34    2269216

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "The whole debate abour senior schools football and intercounty minor is not relevant anymore
The age group for senior schools is u 18/19 is more likely these lads are involved at u20 county level
and in a lot of cases due to the leaving cert lads dont even play at u20 forthat year either
The inter county minor is now u17 so in fact its the junior school grade that were looking at
And its clear galway schools are very prominent now at this grade
Schools like Claregalway the Bish doing well"
Yeah Claregalway College are in the junior A final next week.
They beat the Bish in the semi final who in turn narrowly beat Jarlaths in the quarter final.
All of these were close games and in fact Jarlaths has earlier beaten Claregalway in the league final so all 3 Galway schools are strong at junior level this year anyway.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 23/02/2020 11:44:47    2269233

Link

No need to worry too much about schools football for too much longer methinks. The forward thinking geniuses in the GAA have a motion before congress next Saturday that all schools competitions finish in January. Connacht finals in December - the mind boggles when students are doing Christmas tests etc. They obviously want to kill off schools competitions completely. They should be careful what they wish for. I hope this motion does not pass. Imagine the thousands of ordinary footballers in schools all over the country whose only chance to play at any kind of a competitve level is at school being deprived of the chance to play. Colm O Rourke who has been training schools teams for the last 40 years rails against this motion in today's Sindo. He is 100% correct in his assessmnet of this and the shabby treatment of the U20 competitions. How will the Glaway delegates vote?

getaresult (Galway) - Posts: 9 - 23/02/2020 11:53:46    2269234

Link

Replying To getaresult:  "No need to worry too much about schools football for too much longer methinks. The forward thinking geniuses in the GAA have a motion before congress next Saturday that all schools competitions finish in January. Connacht finals in December - the mind boggles when students are doing Christmas tests etc. They obviously want to kill off schools competitions completely. They should be careful what they wish for. I hope this motion does not pass. Imagine the thousands of ordinary footballers in schools all over the country whose only chance to play at any kind of a competitve level is at school being deprived of the chance to play. Colm O Rourke who has been training schools teams for the last 40 years rails against this motion in today's Sindo. He is 100% correct in his assessmnet of this and the shabby treatment of the U20 competitions. How will the Glaway delegates vote?"
What are the gaa doing to our competitions
Who is driving this within the gaa
The mantra for this was concern for burn out of young players
We had a brilliant u21 grade that was a huge sucess for decades
and it was vital in the development of young players
They got rid of it and now we have a u20 grade that is a pale shadow of u21
The u20 is a disgrace where young lads are now asked to play 2 or 3 games in a week
The way its being run is shocking no respect for the players or the u20 grade
So much for concern on burn out of young players
i still feel that 21 is the right age for lads to play their last underage before senior
Now we have an u17 grade to replace u18 again wrong
You now have kids at 15 or 16 playing inter county minor wrong again
The difference between an 18 yr old and 15 or 16 is huge
And now there messing with the sigerson format
You knpw the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it
Well what we can see clearly now is the gaa have suceeded in doing
They have caused more burnt out and abuse of players in their messing with the competitions

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 23/02/2020 13:08:41    2269260

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "What are the gaa doing to our competitions
The u20 is a disgrace where young lads are now asked to play 2 or 3 games in a week
i still feel that 21 is the right age for lads to play their last underage before senior
They have caused more burnt out and abuse of players in their messing with the competitions"
The only game in town is senior inter county.
That's where the money is.
That's the driver, everything else is of secondary importance.
That's the reality.
The claim that Croke park or the GPA claims they care is guff.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 157 - 23/02/2020 13:32:52    2269268

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "What are the gaa doing to our competitions
They have caused more burnt out and abuse of players in their messing with the competitions"
Definitely the u21 and minor should have been left alone. Two fantastic competitions that have given years of enjoyment. Cant understand why they were changed but I do agree the same passion doesn't appear to be present since it changed.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 23/02/2020 20:36:53    2269445

Link

I see Claregalway college win the junior A c'ship today
Jarlaths won the A league only about 2 months back while the Bish were decent also so not all doom and gloom hopefully the schools football in Galway.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 28/02/2020 18:43:32    2270733

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I see Claregalway college win the junior A c'ship today
Jarlaths won the A league only about 2 months back while the Bish were decent also so not all doom and gloom hopefully the schools football in Galway."
Yes and its a more relevant guide to inter county minor
With the players around the u16/17 age group
The senior schools is u18/19 lot of those players overage for minor county
A lot people missing that important fact

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 29/02/2020 10:45:39    2270807

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Ridiculous comment. Thankfully the Jarlath's domination of all schools in Connacht is over."
I think the great Jarlaths teams of the past made the other teams better.
I remember training every morning at 9am during the christmas holidays because we knew it was something they couldn't do because they had boarders.
In those days, beating Jarlaths in a Connaught Final was something special.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 03/03/2020 08:11:50    2271844

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I see Claregalway college win the junior A c'ship today
Jarlaths won the A league only about 2 months back while the Bish were decent also so not all doom and gloom hopefully the schools football in Galway."
ST Josephs the Bish have reached the Connacht senior b football final too

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 05/03/2020 18:26:40    2272390

Link

Yes, something good reemerging in galway schools football. Fair play to Claregalway - Juvenile A and Junior A Connacht titles. Good work at the Bish too.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 299 - 06/03/2020 07:02:00    2272430

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "I think the great Jarlaths teams of the past made the other teams better.
I remember training every morning at 9am during the christmas holidays because we knew it was something they couldn't do because they had boarders.
In those days, beating Jarlaths in a Connaught Final was something special."
I'm an ex St.Colmans (Claremorris) man and Jarlaths used to always beat us....of course them having 1/2 players from our area raised the tension but overall they were great occasions which huge crowds and great atmosphere to play in.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10352 - 06/03/2020 09:42:05    2272442

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I'm an ex St.Colmans (Claremorris) man and Jarlaths used to always beat us....of course them having 1/2 players from our area raised the tension but overall they were great occasions which huge crowds and great atmosphere to play in."
Half. A bit of an exaggeration.

not2bad (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 07/03/2020 11:53:26    2272578

Link