Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Belclare:  "Good post Fallenstar.
Heard Kevin on Galway Bay this morning chatting to K Finnegan, by the sounds of it he will try and see another year, but as he said I'll chat to the county board.
In fairness he has put up with some amount of abuse and that alone is disgraceful.
Injuries have really hampered their year, they never got going, but the ridiculous calls from all sides to throw in players is crazy stuff. I've been watching football a long time and I have no problem saying that certain players from Corofin are just not good enough. Last Saturday Bernie had a nightmare start, Silke was destroyed,the penalty miss was the killer blow, Others like Shane Walsh needs to take a long look at himself over the winter, he needs to step up, he should have grabbed that ball off Silke this year and Brannigan last year and stuck it in the net. Johnny Heaney, Ian Burke, Eoghan Kerin, have had a terrible season, again we can blame systems but look at what happened on Saturday when we tried to push on after the first goal, poor defensive play, beaten one on one at the back..Next year with hopefully all injuries cleared up, the club finals in Jan will free up everyone to give it a serious go.."
Good post, we are not at training either.
The management are watching these guys 4 times a week. Club form is only one element. I saw Michael Dara McAuley in a club game last year and he didn't stand out. Completely different game.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 358 - 08/07/2019 12:51:59    2207763

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "If you think 15'000-20'000 fans are waiting on the doorstep for a change of management or playing style before they come back to games then you are very sadly mistaken."
I've seen it happen in '98 after years of poor support. It's possible that it could happen again. There are droves of football supporters out there who are now sitting this one out, whether the rest of us diehards like it or not. Also, galway county board needs some younger sharp minds on board to reach out to underage level at clubs, national and secondary schools to start building support base. Trust me, this day and age if the kids start asking to go and following the team, the parents might just get off the couch and bring them. Grassroots, low budget marketing.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 08/07/2019 13:03:28    2207769

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Good post, we are not at training either.
The management are watching these guys 4 times a week. Club form is only one element. I saw Michael Dara McAuley in a club game last year and he didn't stand out. Completely different game."
But we are hearing word from training. Flair and having a real cut at actually putting up scores is being deliberately curbed and 'recycling' mantra is instilled. Some players baffled by it. Kevin has had more than enough time. Ask those in or close to the setup in Sligo when he was there and see if they say he had any form of attacking plan.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 08/07/2019 13:08:43    2207776

Link

I would go with Kevin again
And a home grown coach in Morris from Corofin

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 08/07/2019 13:28:47    2207802

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I dunno if I agree with you re the Corofin lads not being good enough?
Martin Farragher and Kieran Molloy are both unproven at this level but I think Molloy from what I've seen is good enough.
Martin Farragher I would need to see more of to make a call on - but we must remember that Saturday was his very first start in a Galway Jersey I think at any level.
Both will see Loren game time next year anyway regardless of how far Corofin go in the club.
Liam Silke and Ian Burke have both had very poor seasons but I think there isn't any doubt about either players quality.
And personally I still think Power is our best keeper.
He made a bad mistake on Saturday for the goal but that doesn't make him not good enough.
His kicking is superior to Lavelles.

He hasn't yet had the benefit of a full league campaign to bed in due to Corofins exploits."
Certain Corofin players, there were calls for Jason Leonard, Dylan Wall, Ronan Steede, in my opinion excellent club players but that's all..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 08/07/2019 13:29:11    2207803

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "I dunno if I agree with you re the Corofin lads not being good enough?
Martin Farragher and Kieran Molloy are both unproven at this level but I think Molloy from what I've seen is good enough.
Martin Farragher I would need to see more of to make a call on - but we must remember that Saturday was his very first start in a Galway Jersey I think at any level.
Both will see Loren game time next year anyway regardless of how far Corofin go in the club.
Liam Silke and Ian Burke have both had very poor seasons but I think there isn't any doubt about either players quality.
He made a bad mistake on Saturday for the goal but that doesn't make him not good enough.

He hasn't yet had the benefit of a full league campaign to bed in due to Corofins exploits."
Burke and silke already proven at intercounty level even if poor on Saturday

Molloy after his point he did nothing but run around the place aimlessly. Again we havent seen a lot of him and I would be really surprised if he isnt good enough. I really think he can make a serious impact to any team

Farragher no player can be written off after one championship start especially where the team in general played poorly. No place for his attitude after he was called ashore. He wasnt playing well so got replaced. Welcome to intercounty

I like lavelle and Power. I do have to give credit to Power for somewhat recovering from his bad start especially as it was immediately followed by a 2nd goal which regardless of him not being at fault would have been another blow to his confidence.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 08/07/2019 13:34:11    2207813

Link

Would need to see more of Farragher to make a fair judgment but looked a bit one paced at that level to me. He's clearly a brilliant club player and knows where the goal is but if everyone is fit Comer will always be our 14 and i don't see the two of them playing together. Maybe an option from the bench as our other forwards lack size. I think Molloy is clearly Intercounty class and Ian Burke is a class act who had a poor year possibly from being on the go with club and county for so long without a proper break. I would disagree on Silke, not saying he is a bad player but i think he still has a lot to prove yet at county level. Never pulled up any trees 2-3 years ago with Galway at wing back, took a break last year and looked fantastic at sigerson level with UCD and with corofin but again this summer with county (in the big two games) didn't pull up any trees v Ros and was very poor the last day. Maybe he is just not a corner back and would be better suited in the half back line but i'd rather see Molloy and McDaid play there and we have other options like Heaney and Kelly too. Cornerback is a serious problem area for us and no clear solution for it.

I don't think there is much between any of galways options at keeper, Power, Ruairi, Maghnus, O'Beoláin. If Maghnus cut out some of the Cake Curran style stuff he might be the best option but Lavelle is probably the guy who gives you 7/10 in every department. Other than the Tyrone league game this year and the connacht final of 2017 in terrible conditions i don't remember too many howlers by him in three years and Walsh has stuck with him 80-90% of the time.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 08/07/2019 13:53:16    2207835

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Good post, we are not at training either.
The management are watching these guys 4 times a week. Club form is only one element. I saw Michael Dara McAuley in a club game last year and he didn't stand out. Completely different game."
Agree with this 100%. I have been at plenty Killanin games lately where the two Sweeneys were absolutely dominant and Johnny Heaney was extremely quiet. I was at a Tuam game last year where Gary O'Donnell was athletically on a different level to anyone on the pitch and ran the game from midfield. At county level it's a different ball game pace fitness and power wise.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 08/07/2019 13:55:42    2207839

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Would need to see more of Farragher to make a fair judgment but looked a bit one paced at that level to me. He's clearly a brilliant club player and knows where the goal is but if everyone is fit Comer will always be our 14 and i don't see the two of them playing together. Maybe an option from the bench as our other forwards lack size. I think Molloy is clearly Intercounty class and Ian Burke is a class act who had a poor year possibly from being on the go with club and county for so long without a proper break. I would disagree on Silke, not saying he is a bad player but i think he still has a lot to prove yet at county level. Never pulled up any trees 2-3 years ago with Galway at wing back, took a break last year and looked fantastic at sigerson level with UCD and with corofin but again this summer with county (in the big two games) didn't pull up any trees v Ros and was very poor the last day. Maybe he is just not a corner back and would be better suited in the half back line but i'd rather see Molloy and McDaid play there and we have other options like Heaney and Kelly too. Cornerback is a serious problem area for us and no clear solution for it.

I don't think there is much between any of galways options at keeper, Power, Ruairi, Maghnus, O'Beoláin. If Maghnus cut out some of the Cake Curran style stuff he might be the best option but Lavelle is probably the guy who gives you 7/10 in every department. Other than the Tyrone league game this year and the connacht final of 2017 in terrible conditions i don't remember too many howlers by him in three years and Walsh has stuck with him 80-90% of the time."
Fair points there. The only thing I would say on Lavelle is that I have seen him have too many very poor days with the kickouts (not just the 2 games you mention above).
I just think Power is more accurate and more consistent with the boot.
Maybe I am cutting Silke too much slack also I dunno.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 723 - 08/07/2019 13:59:23    2207848

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "But we are hearing word from training. Flair and having a real cut at actually putting up scores is being deliberately curbed and 'recycling' mantra is instilled. Some players baffled by it. Kevin has had more than enough time. Ask those in or close to the setup in Sligo when he was there and see if they say he had any form of attacking plan."
Dublin "recycle" the ball an awful lot to and they deliberately work the ball over and over on loops to get a free man roughly 35 yards out within the width of the posts for a high percentage chance of a score. You won't see any dub taking on low percentage shots from the sideline or outside of the boot bananna shots etc. The difference is the dubs do it with far more pace than we do , send more players forward that we do, and frankly their forwards are simply better at picking off the scores than ours are. Recycling possession is a fact of life for all modern teams, we just do it poorly in my view.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 08/07/2019 14:07:45    2207859

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Agree with this 100%. I have been at plenty Killanin games lately where the two Sweeneys were absolutely dominant and Johnny Heaney was extremely quiet. I was at a Tuam game last year where Gary O'Donnell was athletically on a different level to anyone on the pitch and ran the game from midfield. At county level it's a different ball game pace fitness and power wise."
I'd love to see the two Sweeneys back. I love their abruptness. I think cathal bar a quiet game against dublin last year proved his worth time and time again. Defended well and drove at defences . He'd look like his legs were gone and suddenly he was bursting through. I loved watching him play

Patrick was always prepared for a dogfight and was pushing hard for a place last year. On a wet night where Comer wasn't fully fit and indeed in the connacht final I really think his physicality would have added something

Again if you don't agree with me fair enough. All you have to say is you dont think they should be on the panel. They were great servants and apart from lavelle I dont think anyone endured as much undeserved abuse as them.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 08/07/2019 14:37:38    2207884

Link

Hard to fathom any support still behind KW. Another abject Championship exit in his tenure categorised on all levels by management ineptitude. Attempting to direct the narrative towards trolls as opposed to critical failures on the sideline/pitch is juvenile.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 260 - 08/07/2019 14:58:50    2207899

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Hard to fathom any support still behind KW. Another abject Championship exit in his tenure categorised on all levels by management ineptitude. Attempting to direct the narrative towards trolls as opposed to critical failures on the sideline/pitch is juvenile."
I think the trolling and abuse is unacceptable but it doesn't mean I dont think certain critiscm is fair. I've never been so frustrated than at the connacht final when management would not make changes when players weren't performing. Making a substitute in the 75th minute ? Our subs should have been used by he 60th minute considering how the starting team performed. And every player should have had the same desire that kyne , cooke and a few others had v mayo. The blame lies with both management and the players themselves

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 08/07/2019 15:40:02    2207926

Link

What ever happened between KW and O Hara that time in Sligo? Did O'Hara start to see from KW what we're now experiencing in Galway????

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 08/07/2019 16:08:28    2207953

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "What ever happened between KW and O Hara that time in Sligo? Did O'Hara start to see from KW what we're now experiencing in Galway????"
No O Hara was too old and wouldn't retire, Walsh didn't pick and O Hara got the huff went on the Sunday game and slaughtered him..
O hara wouldn't be fit to lace Kevin's boots..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 08/07/2019 16:30:12    2207968

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "For me Kevin Walsh's time is up. The decisions made of late for me seems to be of a management team that they themselves lack belief. Pressure has been applied to this management team from the Galway public and media/social media in relation to both change of personnel and style. The management team seemed to have buckled to this which has ended up being to the detriment of the belief and confidence of the team.

Goalie situation is not acceptable. I don't mind which of them played but it is about the only position where a clear and defined number one is needed. A massive drop in form would obviously mean a change is needed but neither keeper has had a horrendous game. Poor game maybe. But not horrendous. If a goalie feels every time he makes a slight mistake or a few poor kickouts he'll be dropped then forget about it. One of the biggest attributes a goalie needs is confidence. Neither goalie has that currently going by their performances.

Sean Andy number two big issue. He's being playing poorly. Don't think many will argue with that. Anywhere you look people were calling for him to be dropped. Declan Kyne and Sean Kelly were rumoured to be replacing him all week. And so it came to pass. Issue? First chance Kevin Walsh got he put Sean Andy on. Now Kerin wasn't exactly covering himself in glory out there but I don't think he's been taken off much before. And he gets booked early plenty often enough too! For me this means Kevin Walsh never wanted to drop Sean Andy in the first place. Pressure was applied to him and he bowed to it. Reminds of the All Ireland Hurling final when Cunningham dropped Collins but again first chance he got he brought him on and replaced Harte. Most would know the issues this caused.

if Sean Kelly can only last a half then he should never of started. His biggest asset is his engine and he seemed to be running on dirty diesel. McDaid battled hard but again seemed to be struggling to go the pace of the game.

O' Laoi should never of been dropped. Nearly any of the other forwards should of went before him. His performances for club and county have been excellent this year.

I wouldn't have started Farragher. But I'm sure people would say hindsight is a great thing.

No idea when we needed goals in the last two games Cummins has seen zero game time.

Molloy should have started.

Silke should of been taken off.

The list goes on.

But then again.

Hindsight is the foresight of a gobsh**e.

So lastly if Kevin Walsh does go who would I like?

Rochford. For a number of reasons. He has a connection to Corofin. This will help not hinder. If a Corofin player doesn't start I don't think there will be the uproar there is now and people will accept he is simply picking the best player for the job. For me he started the Corofin revolution and Kevin O Brien and those in the background have continued the excellent work. He has made some "out of the box" moves which I think shows he's willing to adapt to the situation at hand rather than being rigid to one game plan. I think he is the best fit. Hard to know could we get him. The way things ended with Mayo might be the little bit of carrot needed to get him into Maroon.

Finally get to Tuam Wednesday. Some great talent. Mattie Tierney looks a superstar in the making. PJ and Co have a defined ethos on how they want the game played. Not saying it would stack up at senior level but its always nice to see underage games as they are usually played with a bit more freedom.

FBD 2020 will be here before we know it."
Would one of Rochford's out of the box moves be dropping David Clarke on the eve of an All Ireland final ?

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1014 - 08/07/2019 16:47:49    2207988

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Good post Fallenstar.
Heard Kevin on Galway Bay this morning chatting to K Finnegan, by the sounds of it he will try and see another year, but as he said I'll chat to the county board.
In fairness he has put up with some amount of abuse and that alone is disgraceful.
Injuries have really hampered their year, they never got going, but the ridiculous calls from all sides to throw in players is crazy stuff. I've been watching football a long time and I have no problem saying that certain players from Corofin are just not good enough. Last Saturday Bernie had a nightmare start, Silke was destroyed,the penalty miss was the killer blow, Others like Shane Walsh needs to take a long look at himself over the winter, he needs to step up, he should have grabbed that ball off Silke this year and Brannigan last year and stuck it in the net. Johnny Heaney, Ian Burke, Eoghan Kerin, have had a terrible season, again we can blame systems but look at what happened on Saturday when we tried to push on after the first goal, poor defensive play, beaten one on one at the back..Next year with hopefully all injuries cleared up, the club finals in Jan will free up everyone to give it a serious go.."
Shane Walsh missed a penalty v Mayo in the Connacht final a few years back, he missed one for his club in a County final - He is not a penalty taker.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 08/07/2019 17:26:13    2208013

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Would one of Rochford's out of the box moves be dropping David Clarke on the eve of an All Ireland final ?"
Ya. Didn't work. AOS to full back to mark Donaghy. Who destroyed Galway. Worked. Can't be a hero all the time. But he's willing to think outside the norm to help his team achieve its best.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 507 - 08/07/2019 17:29:34    2208015

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Ya. Didn't work. AOS to full back to mark Donaghy. Who destroyed Galway. Worked. Can't be a hero all the time. But he's willing to think outside the norm to help his team achieve its best."
aos to full back did not work, certainly the first day...

rochford has had chances with excellent teams and he found a way to lose...he could come in as part of a team but not as manager

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 08/07/2019 17:35:17    2208021

Link

AOS on Donaghy worked brilliantly the second day. The first day it was a bit of a disaster to be fair.

The goalie thing was mental but you would hope he would never make that mistake again and if he made all his mistakes on Mayo's watch and comes to Galway a more rounded wiser coach all the better. He also to be fair to him couldn't possibly have foreseen just how bad a mistake Hennelly would make.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 08/07/2019 17:41:27    2208022

Link