Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Hupgalway:  "(This only my opinion) I understand resting players for the Monaghan game for the semi-final game but, I think it's important we beat monaghan next week & I have a couple of reasons;

1. I would much prefer to be meeting Dublin in a Final than a semi final.
Just for argument sack, imagine if Galway met Dublin in a semi final & beat them, could ye imagine the hipe around the media circles with Galway going into a final playing either a Tyrone, Donegal, or Monaghan?? We would be massive favourites and they would have us "all Ireland champions" before a ball is even thrown in... now that's even more dangerous I think than meeting Dublin in a final...

1a. Galway don't well as favourites first of all... & second I would hate to be beaten by a lesser team than a Dublin in a final... It could be a situation where one of them teams be just waiting in the long grass...

2. Dublin look way more valuable in a final than any other game. Let's call a spade a spade here, Mayo only lost by a point in 16 & 17 only for silly sending offs that Mayo put on themselves that may have been their failings of fallings short... yes they were legitimate sending offs but Mayo had no one to blame only themselves... also there's extra pressure of a four in a row for Dublin now and no connelly or brogan either. We beat Mayo in 16 & 17, Dublin & ourselves were the only two teams to do so. Dublin by a point each time, Dublin were there for the taken by Mayo and if we can take down Mayo why not Dublin??

I think it would suit us a lot better to be meeting either Donegal or Tyrone in the semis than the Dubs! Finally I know Dublin need to beaten to win an all Ireland but for me, I would prefer that situation to be in a final rather than a semi final...

"It's kinda a catch 22 situation really""
We are not Mayo!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 24/07/2018 12:00:56    2125616

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "We are not Mayo!"
I think Galway should and will put out strong team v Monaghan nothing beats winning and as most posters on here agree we need to avoid Dublin as long as we can a lot of people keep saying that the Dubs are very beatable only prob I have with that is no one beats them in championship in almost 4 years , and if we top group and play either Donegal or Tyrone we will have it all on 2 win they descent teams think we need keep our feet on the ground and not get ahead of ourself , but it is great position to be in

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 24/07/2018 12:54:47    2125652

Link

Just a couple of points as a huge amount of comment covered. All valid points in their right but some I naturally disagree with. Own thoughts are absolutely get a result against Monaghan. Winning breeds confidence. Some posters harsh on Heaney and Brannigan. Both cover acres of ground. The issue of Brannigan's finishing while concerning could also be applied to Cooke. Cooke missed two relatively straight forward scores but not a hope in hell would I drop him or the other two. All bring a huge amount to the table and don't underestimate the value and understanding playing in a settled team. Minor clarification it is actually a 7 day turnaround if it is the Dubs in the semis and 8 days if Donegal/Tyrone. As for the Monaghan poster understand why you would post same but many would disagree with you on some of your observations.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1749 - 24/07/2018 13:44:21    2125678

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Just a couple of points as a huge amount of comment covered. All valid points in their right but some I naturally disagree with. Own thoughts are absolutely get a result against Monaghan. Winning breeds confidence. Some posters harsh on Heaney and Brannigan. Both cover acres of ground. The issue of Brannigan's finishing while concerning could also be applied to Cooke. Cooke missed two relatively straight forward scores but not a hope in hell would I drop him or the other two. All bring a huge amount to the table and don't underestimate the value and understanding playing in a settled team. Minor clarification it is actually a 7 day turnaround if it is the Dubs in the semis and 8 days if Donegal/Tyrone. As for the Monaghan poster understand why you would post same but many would disagree with you on some of your observations."
Would it not be a 7 day turnaround for donegal / tyrone and an 8 day turnaround if we face the dubs? the dubs would be on the sunday 12th you would think.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 24/07/2018 14:41:26    2125721

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "Would it not be a 7 day turnaround for donegal / tyrone and an 8 day turnaround if we face the dubs? the dubs would be on the sunday 12th you would think."
I saw somewhere that Dublin irrespective of who they meet will be on the Sat eve and the other semi final on Sun aft. Don/Tyr is on the same time as Dub/Ros so one of these teams (Ros are out I know) will have to be on the following Sat.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1749 - 24/07/2018 15:26:12    2125756

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I have to disagree with you on the notion that Dublin are unbeatable. I certainly agree with you on making sure we beat monaghan and topping the group. Anyone who thinks we should field a weakened side against monaghan are clueless imo. There is no doubt this Dublin team are a fine team but let's face it, they have rode their luck against mayo on a number of occasions. You have only got to think of mayo and the missed frees by cillian o Connor at the death in all ireland finals. There's no doubt in my mind, shane walsh would nailed those chances if peesented with them.

I'd also disagree with you on your assumption in a previous post that Galway lack real top quality forwards and that Shane Walsh is somewhat hit and miss when it comes to free taking. Nothing could be more further from the truth this year. There is nobody in the game capable of scoring frees from the ground of either foot from either short, long or acute angles from the ground than Shane Walsh. The only players I have ever seen with that ability was Maurice Fitzgerald and the great Matt Connor from offaly. Anyone who maybe too young to have witnessed him should U tube him and you'll quickly understand what I mean. For anyone out there who fancies a flutter, Walsh is at 8/1 for footballer of the year. A near certainty if he keeps playing the way he is at present.

I also believe that a front 6 comprising of Burke, comer, Walsh, Kelly, Daly, varley/Armstrong will win us the all ireland. Each of them are hard men and by a country mile our best 6 forwards. Id have that front 6 ahead of kerry's or dublin's for that matter. We need Duggan back asap as he is the best midfielder we've had since big kevin retired. Its such a pity that daithi burke is not available because they would wipe out any other pairing in the game.

As for the game against kildare, I'm shocked cian o Neill is giving out about the Flynn red card. I was very close to it. Flynn swung around with a closed fist and connected with the top of Sean Andy's head. There was nothing accidental about it. He went to nail him big time. A straight red if I ever seen one.

Daly was really pulling the strings before he got injured which was such a pity. He is a class act. Brought on p Sweeney who played at 11. I thought that decision nearly cost us the game. Sweeney is a good lad with oceans of heart but Armstrong, Varley, McHugh are vastly superior forwards who would have buried each of the 2 goal chances in the first half.

If Sweeney is to come on as a sub, then maybe it should be in the last few minutes of Injury time just to disrupt the opposition kickouts possibly and get a sneaky goal like he did against kerry. He's a strong lad with loads of heart but it's ridiculous to see him being sprung from the bench ahead of Varley and Armstrong.

I think o Donnell was brilliant against kildare when he came on. He should start now ahead of Heaney who has been poor for the championship.

Brannigan covers alot of ground but he has missed numerous scoring chances in the championship and his form has dropped. A stint on the bench against monaghan should help both of them focus the mind. Its very important now that the best 15 are put out on the pitch."
agree with most of this particularly piece on sweeney....at best an impact in the inside forward line

i think we should go all out to beat monaghan and i feel kevin will think the same
with that said i feel heaney and brannigan and fatigued at this point and there may be no harm swapping them out for fresher legs, also i feel army in pearse stadium is a different animal- i would start him

duggan needs game time if fit but i would bring him in rather than start him

would like to see danny given game time if possible as if he is to be used at all he really needs 15 minutes here

on the hypothetical- id much rather play dubs in a final....get ahead and apply the pressure and they may crack!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 24/07/2018 19:37:59    2125864

Link

Its an exciting time for Galway football , many may not agree with playing styles but its great to see Galway back in the forefront of Gaelic Football .

Thelowhighball (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 24/07/2018 21:25:17    2125907

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "We are not Mayo!"
I never said once in my post "we were Mayo" what ya on about!!?

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 24/07/2018 22:21:16    2125928

Link

I know a lot people in different media outlets on about Galway style of play but in my opinion they defend as a team which I would expect from any team sport and they also attack in numbers which what team sport is anout I reckon Galway prob averages between league and champions nship msybe 17 points a game I'm only guessing, so can't see much wrong there ;; someone on here might know correct stats ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 24/07/2018 23:00:38    2125946

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "agree with most of this particularly piece on sweeney....at best an impact in the inside forward line

i think we should go all out to beat monaghan and i feel kevin will think the same
with that said i feel heaney and brannigan and fatigued at this point and there may be no harm swapping them out for fresher legs, also i feel army in pearse stadium is a different animal- i would start him

duggan needs game time if fit but i would bring him in rather than start him

would like to see danny given game time if possible as if he is to be used at all he really needs 15 minutes here

on the hypothetical- id much rather play dubs in a final....get ahead and apply the pressure and they may crack!!"
I'd agree with your post 100%. Army has to start ahead of Brannigan. If not then Varley. O Donnell should start ahead of Heaney or Indeed sweeney on current form. O Donnell is a brilliant footballer who is back to full fitness. It should be a no brainer. Tough call for big Kevin as they are local lads to him but he should do the right thing now.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 25/07/2018 00:56:27    2125979

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I'd agree with your post 100%. Army has to start ahead of Brannigan. If not then Varley. O Donnell should start ahead of Heaney or Indeed sweeney on current form. O Donnell is a brilliant footballer who is back to full fitness. It should be a no brainer. Tough call for big Kevin as they are local lads to him but he should do the right thing now."
Everyone entitled to their own opinion but i would say the majority of Galway people would have Heaney in instead of ODonnell.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 25/07/2018 09:09:20    2125992

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Everyone entitled to their own opinion but i would say the majority of Galway people would have Heaney in instead of ODonnell."
Tough one to call. Heaney hasn't done a whole pile since his goal vs Mayo (maybe we'd be out if he didn't score it). He scored a nice point off the left vs Kildare but missed two and didn't have a huge impact imo. Having said that, bringing O'Donnell, Army and the likes in as subs are great options off the bench. Really sure up the game and it's bringing in players of the same standard, if not better, than the player they are replacing.

goalk111 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 25/07/2018 09:30:27    2125999

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Everyone entitled to their own opinion but i would say the majority of Galway people would have Heaney in instead of ODonnell."
all things being equal i would have heaney in before god and brannigan before army but things arent equal here.... those two guys have played nearly every minute of football since the first division 1 league game (brannigan missed some with njury) and given the amount of work they do in games are inj my opinion wrecked and fatigued- maybe the extra week off will help and this is for kevin and the conmditioning team to decide.
the other factor is army in pearse stadium where imo he improves 50% as a player
in any case they can be brought in as subs on 55 mins to finish strongly

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 25/07/2018 10:11:45    2126007

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I never said once in my post "we were Mayo" what ya on about!!?"
Only rising lads - sorry

I agree with your post completely, I just think this Galway team (unlike Mayo....and in fairness, previous Galway teams...including an earlier version of themselves) don't give a damn about favourites tag, they go out and play their game to the full, they know their game plan and what to do and also know if they don't do it to the best of their ability then there a sub warming up to come in and give it socks.

And on that point, if the ads go out and give it their all, and the side-line make the calls they think are right....and we still lose then I'd be happy to say we were beaten by a better team (like in the league final). Until that time arrives......hon Galway!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 25/07/2018 10:26:09    2126015

Link

I'm hearing our lads are carrying a lot of injuries after Sunday.

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 25/07/2018 11:36:54    2126036

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I'm hearing our lads are carrying a lot of injuries after Sunday."
Wouldn't be surprised, Kildare are a big physical team and were 'putting themselves about' a lot last Sunday.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 25/07/2018 12:45:12    2126061

Link

I'd beg to differ on you on that one. O'Donnell is technically a better footballer than sweeney or Heaney by a country mile. Heaney has been very average to date. O Donnell has more experience at this level and is miles ahead of either of them when it comes to natural talent. He proved that against kildare when the chips were down, kicking a brilliant score when the game was on a knife edge. Cathal sweeney is full of heart but so too is o Donnell. O Donnell has the killer touch and is a vastly superior athlete. O Donnell must start from here on in if we are really serious about winning this.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 26/07/2018 01:12:34    2126303

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I'm hearing our lads are carrying a lot of injuries after Sunday."
Which players?

goalk111 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 26/07/2018 10:20:27    2126318

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I'd beg to differ on you on that one. O'Donnell is technically a better footballer than sweeney or Heaney by a country mile. Heaney has been very average to date. O Donnell has more experience at this level and is miles ahead of either of them when it comes to natural talent. He proved that against kildare when the chips were down, kicking a brilliant score when the game was on a knife edge. Cathal sweeney is full of heart but so too is o Donnell. O Donnell has the killer touch and is a vastly superior athlete. O Donnell must start from here on in if we are really serious about winning this."
Sorry I just can't agree with that. Heaney is a better footballer technically than O'Donnell. For me, O'Donnell is an athlete first and the football comes second. He's probably one of the better all round athletes on the panel, but his skills aren't as strong and decision making is suspect.

Heaney is technically brilliant. He has 3 scores that spring to mind for me this year that O'Donnell could never conjure up. One v Monaghan when he ran from his own full back line and slotted it from 35-40 yards from the wing. The equaliser in Pearse Stadium v Dublin in the dying minutes (the stones it took to have a pop at that one as well). Then the one off his weaker left from the wing against Kildare last week was just class. Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties. O'Donnell has mastered the late run up the right wing, and finishes with the side foot tap or hand pass so I'll credit him for that.

This came across as nearly an attack on O'Donnell. It's definitely not, I'm a fan of his, but I don't think he warrants a start at the moment. It just goes to show the strength of our panel we can bring classy players like him off the bench to see out games. The same goes for Army, Varley etc.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 26/07/2018 13:25:17    2126401

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I'd beg to differ on you on that one. O'Donnell is technically a better footballer than sweeney or Heaney by a country mile. Heaney has been very average to date. O Donnell has more experience at this level and is miles ahead of either of them when it comes to natural talent. He proved that against kildare when the chips were down, kicking a brilliant score when the game was on a knife edge. Cathal sweeney is full of heart but so too is o Donnell. O Donnell has the killer touch and is a vastly superior athlete. O Donnell must start from here on in if we are really serious about winning this."
O Donnell is a talented footballer but saying he is a vastly superior athlete to Sweeny is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if GOD started the next day but I expect the half back line to remain unchanged. It is after all a half back line that got us a connacht title and got us to an AI semi

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 26/07/2018 13:37:30    2126406

Link