Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To GalwayOptimist:  "Was at the game Sunday and it looked like we only had 24 players togged? Army was in runners and didn't see McHugh take part in the warm up before the game or during it? Padraic Cunningham took part in the warm up. Did the two lads pick up knocks after the team sheet went in on Thursday? Anyone else notice this?"
hopefully Sean Armstrong & Barry McHugh will be back soon??

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 17/07/2018 11:18:02    2123063

Link

Replying To GalwayOptimist:  "Was at the game Sunday and it looked like we only had 24 players togged? Army was in runners and didn't see McHugh take part in the warm up before the game or during it? Padraic Cunningham took part in the warm up. Did the two lads pick up knocks after the team sheet went in on Thursday? Anyone else notice this?"
I assume you can change the submitted 24 after the deadline in the case of injury? Not 100% sure on that.
Army experienced some sort of flare up with his back on Saturday which is why he wasn't togged.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 17/07/2018 11:19:45    2123065

Link

As far as i know you can only change the 26 if it's a goalie injury (Dublin did this with Cluxton for Leinster final). If anyone else gets injured then you're out of luck. Otherwise it would lead to too many "phantom" injuries and players appearing out of nowhere on game day. That's why they changed the rule

GalwayOptimist (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 17/07/2018 12:15:45    2123085

Link

Isnt there a rule that if u played U20 you cant play senior? Thats Darcy out. Fionton will probably be called in to the panel now. I think Varley getting 20 mins off the bench is the best. The Monaghan game is more important than this. If we beat monaghan we have to top the group no matter what happens this weekend.

My team

Lavelle

Kerin
SoC
Kyne

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Cooke
Flynn

Brannigan
Kelly
Daly

Burke
Comer
Walsh

God give 20 mins for Bradshaw
Varley for whoever is having a bit of an off day
Armstrong in also

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 17/07/2018 12:45:46    2123093

Link

Replying To GAL4DaDouble:  "Isnt there a rule that if u played U20 you cant play senior? Thats Darcy out. Fionton will probably be called in to the panel now. I think Varley getting 20 mins off the bench is the best. The Monaghan game is more important than this. If we beat monaghan we have to top the group no matter what happens this weekend.

My team

Lavelle

Kerin
SoC
Kyne

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Cooke
Flynn

Brannigan
Kelly
Daly

Burke
Comer
Walsh

Armstrong in also"
I thought the rule was that if u were in the senior panel u couldn't be in the U20's as well. So if Darcy moved into senior panel he would need to drop out of U20's and as they are already out of that competition it doesn't matter.

I emphasize thought as I am in know way sure of this!!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 17/07/2018 13:46:45    2123129

Link

I would start Varley over Daly based on current form

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1406 - 17/07/2018 13:53:37    2123139

Link

Massive game for Galway.
Win and we are as good as in the semis.
Won't be much in it.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 17/07/2018 14:00:13    2123143

Link

Replying To GAL4DaDouble:  "Isnt there a rule that if u played U20 you cant play senior? Thats Darcy out. Fionton will probably be called in to the panel now. I think Varley getting 20 mins off the bench is the best. The Monaghan game is more important than this. If we beat monaghan we have to top the group no matter what happens this weekend.

My team

Lavelle

Kerin
SoC
Kyne

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Cooke
Flynn

Brannigan
Kelly
Daly

Burke
Comer
Walsh

Armstrong in also"
Except if Kildare win their last two games and we beat Monaghan they would be ahead of us on head to head (if both of us only finish top in 4 points). Won't happen i guess but anything in sport is possible. Also as an aside that goal we conceded was a pity as scoring difference comes into it if three teams finish level. Anyway onwards and upwards. We are in a good place so let's keep rowing behind these guys.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1749 - 17/07/2018 14:18:45    2123150

Link

My team

Lavelle

Kerin
SoC
Kyne

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Cooke
Flynn

Brannigan
Kelly
Daly

Burke
Comer
Walsh

Armstrong in also"
I don't think so. I believe it only works the other way - in that if you play senior championship you can't go back and play u20 subsequently.
I don't believe it works the other way.
I think some of the Kildare u20s were on the bench v Mayo.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 17/07/2018 14:54:25    2123160

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Varley is an excellent impact player. I think I would keep him in reserve based on having someone liek him to close out a game.

Daly was poor but he is a good player. Worth another start .....possible? Certainly he is too good to discard because of one bad day out.

Injuries/fatigue will be an important factor. Comer looked slightly off although i'd say it was more to do with sharpness than injury. When he went down the wing in the second half with 2 Kerry lads hanging out of him before he won the free he didn't look too bad physically!

Is Kerin really injured or was he just trying to avoid the red card?

Has Flynn been black carded already this year? I think there is n automatic suspension if you get 3. Any of the statto's/nerds out there like to confirm?

Our midfield sector was excellent against Kerry. Flynn has really matured into a fine player. Cooke along side him gives added power. Conroy's loss will be felt because we now lack options (at least until Duggan returns). If Duggan is not fit will they bring someone like Cian Darcy onto match day panel to give us a big man option off the bench?"
Only player for Galway on two black cards is Sean Andy, one more & he on a 1 match ban..

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 17/07/2018 15:26:07    2123176

Link

Replying To goalk111:  "To know who is coming on for who before the game is ridiculous. Army for Varley or vice versa? What if the one that starts (possibly neither) has a stormer, are you still going to take them off? One thing KW is good at on the line is he'll make decisions based on the way the game is going on that day, you can't decide who replaces who before the game even starts."
No it's not ridiculous , I didn't think army has a full 70mins n him... so that's my point... obviously not are u going to take either off if they're having a stormer...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 17/07/2018 15:30:56    2123181

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Except if Kildare win their last two games and we beat Monaghan they would be ahead of us on head to head (if both of us only finish top in 4 points). Won't happen i guess but anything in sport is possible. Also as an aside that goal we conceded was a pity as scoring difference comes into it if three teams finish level. Anyway onwards and upwards. We are in a good place so let's keep rowing behind these guys."
It kills me, but unfortunately, I'll be in Spain for the next while - so will miss the next few matches. It will take everything to get over the line v Kildare, so our supporters need to get up to Newbridge and bring noise. This team is capable of going all the way - and to do so, get rid of another "monkey" - 84 years since we beat Dublin in championship. Let's go #LaDecima

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 17/07/2018 17:30:25    2123237

Link

Barry McHugh didn't train at all last week with an injury and the same source had Comer doubtful to start on Sunday with a shoulder problem, maybe explains his subdued performance

TomDubh (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 17/07/2018 19:12:03    2123265

Link

Replying To TomDubh:  "Barry McHugh didn't train at all last week with an injury and the same source had Comer doubtful to start on Sunday with a shoulder problem, maybe explains his subdued performance"
Comer hurt his shoulder in the Connacht final alright definitely and has been struggling with it a bit since.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 17/07/2018 22:56:11    2123342

Link

If Galway are winning well towards the end of the game next Sunday Sean Andy should try and get a black card, he would miss the meaningless round 3 game and wipe the slate clean.

Mfs (Mayo) - Posts: 223 - 17/07/2018 23:26:26    2123352

Link

Paddypower has the Galway double at 14/1. What a steal haha

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 18/07/2018 02:22:52    2123358

Link

Replying To Mfs:  "If Galway are winning well towards the end of the game next Sunday Sean Andy should try and get a black card, he would miss the meaningless round 3 game and wipe the slate clean."
I like your strategic thinking but it is likely we will have something to play for in round 3 as even if both us and Monaghan win on Sunday the placings will be decided in Salthill. Mind you the way Tyrone are playing them are Dublin will equally be difficult if both emerge for whoever comes out of our group.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1749 - 18/07/2018 09:11:56    2123381

Link

Varleys impact on Sunday coming off the bench was superb. I would think he would need to be on the field longer to make more of an impression that he can start the game and be as effective but it is no harm to his confidence or the Galway squad that he can make that sort of impact as a sub.

We are really blessed the depth of talent in this forward line right now.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 297 - 18/07/2018 10:53:13    2123419

Link

Duggan hoped to be back in 3 weeks! Might be back for the semi final maybe if we get there?

Gaaenthusiast (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 18/07/2018 12:10:19    2123450

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Ye might think I'm daft when I say this, but I'd love to see comer at centre field with Tom Flynn and having a full forward line of Burke, Armstrong, Walsh. And use Varley as an impact sub for army... or the way round, start Varley and use Armstrong as the impact sub...

I really think comer is suited far better out around centre field than in at full forward as I believe the bigger teams like the dubs and the Kerry's keep tighter tabs on comer at full forward... Dublin in the league final for example, comer started well for the first 10-15mins but drifted a bit out of the game, same against Kerry yesterday... Comer has a massive leap which I believe could be serious for centre field... and we have seen him fetching one or two balls at centre field this year, which is phenomenal.

Don't get me wrong I think Duggan is brilliant at centre field, but we're very thin with subs for centre field now and I would like to hold Duggan in reserve just n case, god forbid Flynn got injured...

Definitely think comer is a bigger threat coming from centre field, and receiving back lay offs from burke, or even burke moving out left or right bringing his marker with him and comer ploughing straight through...

Remember the Kerry game last year just before halftime?? comer caught the ball at centre field and hit for the goal like an express train.. it was saved by the goalie alright but burke caught the rebound and kicked it over the bar... the potential is there in my opinion defo.....

My selection against V Kildare;

Lavelle

Kyne
ó ceallaigh
Kerin

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Flynn
Comer

Brannigan
Daly
Kelly

Burke
Armstrong or Varley
Walsh"
Comer far too big and bulky for midfield he wouldn't have the lungs to carry all that muscle mass around the middle for 70 minutes!

Gaaenthusiast (Galway) - Posts: 7 - 18/07/2018 12:12:06    2123453

Link