Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Away to Kildare won't be easy at all but I think Galway will win by atleast four.
Thoughts?

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 807 - 15/07/2018 17:58:45    2122216

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Away to Kildare won't be easy at all but I think Galway will win by atleast four.
Thoughts?"
Kildare will be hot favourites in Newbridge, but Galway could spring a surprise.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 15/07/2018 18:29:50    2122242

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Away to Kildare won't be easy at all but I think Galway will win by atleast four.
Thoughts?"
Kildare will be hot favourites in Newbridge, but Galway could spring a surprise.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 15/07/2018 18:29:55    2122243

Link

Galway will be favourites for this. A very tight ground and I expect a great atmosphere. Kildare have built huge momentum and are totally transformed now. They were devastated to lose yesterday so hopefully they might have a bit of a hangover from that. They'll play to their strengths and try and get Flynn on as much ball as possible. Sean Andy will do enough to hold him. They are a big team physically so it will be a big test again. Just think we are ahead of them in the cuteness stakes. If we push up on their kickouts like we did against kerry, then We should win this. Hard to news us having as many wides this time. I'd give Varley his chance now and Gary O donnell. We got turned over on a number of occasions against kerry coming out of defence which we need to eradicate. Other than that, I wouldn't change much. Galway by 5

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 16/07/2018 15:01:16    2122761

Link

Varley is an excellent impact player. I think I would keep him in reserve based on having someone liek him to close out a game.

Daly was poor but he is a good player. Worth another start .....possible? Certainly he is too good to discard because of one bad day out.

Injuries/fatigue will be an important factor. Comer looked slightly off although i'd say it was more to do with sharpness than injury. When he went down the wing in the second half with 2 Kerry lads hanging out of him before he won the free he didn't look too bad physically!

Is Kerin really injured or was he just trying to avoid the red card?

Has Flynn been black carded already this year? I think there is n automatic suspension if you get 3. Any of the statto's/nerds out there like to confirm?

Our midfield sector was excellent against Kerry. Flynn has really matured into a fine player. Cooke along side him gives added power. Conroy's loss will be felt because we now lack options (at least until Duggan returns). If Duggan is not fit will they bring someone like Cian Darcy onto match day panel to give us a big man option off the bench?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 16/07/2018 15:40:56    2122781

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Varley is an excellent impact player. I think I would keep him in reserve based on having someone liek him to close out a game.

Daly was poor but he is a good player. Worth another start .....possible? Certainly he is too good to discard because of one bad day out.

Injuries/fatigue will be an important factor. Comer looked slightly off although i'd say it was more to do with sharpness than injury. When he went down the wing in the second half with 2 Kerry lads hanging out of him before he won the free he didn't look too bad physically!

Has Flynn been black carded already this year? I think there is n automatic suspension if you get 3. Any of the statto's/nerds out there like to confirm?

Our midfield sector was excellent against Kerry. Flynn has really matured into a fine player. Cooke along side him gives added power. Conroy's loss will be felt because we now lack options (at least until Duggan returns). If Duggan is not fit will they bring someone like Cian Darcy onto match day panel to give us a big man option off the bench?"
Not sure if Tom has been black carded already or not.
The rule is 3 black cards and/or double yellows in the same season = a 1 game ban.
I believe that league black cards/ double yellows carry forward too.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 16/07/2018 20:36:33    2122891

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Varley is an excellent impact player. I think I would keep him in reserve based on having someone liek him to close out a game.

Our midfield sector was excellent against Kerry. Flynn has really matured into a fine player. Cooke along side him gives added power. Conroy's loss will be felt because we now lack options (at least until Duggan returns). If Duggan is not fit will they bring someone like Cian Darcy onto match day panel to give us a big man option off the bench?"
I believe D'Arcy and Fiontain O Curraoin are in training with the squad as it is.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 16/07/2018 20:46:40    2122894

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Not sure if Tom has been black carded already or not.
The rule is 3 black cards and/or double yellows in the same season = a 1 game ban.
I believe that league black cards/ double yellows carry forward too."
Eoghan must be near enough now as well

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 377 - 16/07/2018 22:17:47    2122939

Link

I think sean Armstrong could be a good man to be involved next week
we will need a few experienced heads v kildare in newbridge
maybe as an impact sub to come in for last 15 mins
no better man to take a few scores when the heat is on you

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 16/07/2018 22:24:20    2122942

Link

Ye might think I'm daft when I say this, but I'd love to see comer at centre field with Tom Flynn and having a full forward line of Burke, Armstrong, Walsh. And use Varley as an impact sub for army... or the way round, start Varley and use Armstrong as the impact sub...

I really think comer is suited far better out around centre field than in at full forward as I believe the bigger teams like the dubs and the Kerry's keep tighter tabs on comer at full forward... Dublin in the league final for example, comer started well for the first 10-15mins but drifted a bit out of the game, same against Kerry yesterday... Comer has a massive leap which I believe could be serious for centre field... and we have seen him fetching one or two balls at centre field this year, which is phenomenal.

Don't get me wrong I think Duggan is brilliant at centre field, but we're very thin with subs for centre field now and I would like to hold Duggan in reserve just n case, god forbid Flynn got injured...

Definitely think comer is a bigger threat coming from centre field, and receiving back lay offs from burke, or even burke moving out left or right bringing his marker with him and comer ploughing straight through...

Remember the Kerry game last year just before halftime?? comer caught the ball at centre field and hit for the goal like an express train.. it was saved by the goalie alright but burke caught the rebound and kicked it over the bar... the potential is there in my opinion defo.....

My selection against V Kildare;

Lavelle

Kyne
ó ceallaigh
Kerin

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Flynn
Comer

Brannigan
Daly
Kelly

Burke
Armstrong or Varley
Walsh

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 17/07/2018 00:07:10    2122967

Link

Sorry I stand corrected with Duggan, I meant Cooke in reserve! To many red heads on the team has me all confused!!! HaHaha...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 17/07/2018 00:21:30    2122968

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Kildare will be hot favourites in Newbridge, but Galway could spring a surprise."
Kildare hot favourites?? Lads get down to the bookies quick, the eejits are offering 5/2 on the hot favourites. Galway, the outsiders are a miserable 1/2.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 87 - 17/07/2018 04:44:35    2122977

Link

I'd love to see Comer at centre field with Tom Flynn and having a full forward line of Burke, Armstrong, Walsh. And use Varley as an impact sub for army... or the way round, start Varley and use Armstrong as the impact sub...

I really think comer is suited far better out around centre field than in at full forward as I believe the bigger teams like the dubs and the Kerry's keep tighter tabs on comer at full forward... Dublin in the league final for example, comer started well for the first 10-15mins but drifted a bit out of the game, same against Kerry yesterday... Comer has a massive leap which I believe could be serious for centre field... and we have seen him fetching one or two balls at centre field this year, which is phenomenal.

Don't get me wrong I think Cooke is brilliant at centre field, but we're very thin with subs for centre field now and I would like to hold him in reserve just n case, god forbid Flynn got injured...

Definitely think comer is a bigger threat coming from centre field, and receiving back lay offs from burke, or even burke moving out left or right bringing his marker with him and comer ploughing straight through...

Remember the Kerry game last year just before halftime?? comer caught the ball at centre field and hit for the goal like an express train.. it was saved by the goalie alright but burke caught the rebound and kicked it over the bar... the potential is there in my opinion defo.....

Lavelle

Kyne
ó ceallaigh
Kerin

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Flynn
Comer

Brannigan
Daly
Kelly

Burke
Armstrong or Varley
Walsh

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 17/07/2018 08:02:25    2122988

Link

Was at the game Sunday and it looked like we only had 24 players togged? Army was in runners and didn't see McHugh take part in the warm up before the game or during it? Padraic Cunningham took part in the warm up. Did the two lads pick up knocks after the team sheet went in on Thursday? Anyone else notice this?

GalwayOptimist (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 17/07/2018 09:59:23    2123019

Link

First & foremost best wishes to Paul Conroy. Hopefully there isn't too many other injuries. hopefully eoin kerrin is ok, what a player.. good to hear an earlier post say fiontan o'currain is back training. .. hope Damien Comer has no injury, was surprised to see him coming off around 65 minutes (10 minutes before the end)? I obviously have no qualms the last day but I did wonder why sean Armstrong didn't come in, hope he's not injured?? any word on barry McHugh? do we shake it up a bit with 7 days between matches as we've a deep enough panel, e.g. Patrick Sweeney, sean Armstrong, Adrian varley, barry McHugh if available. maybe rest two of the following - brannigan / daly and dare I say comer for the second half. I love Damien comer but hes had a long year with nuig, straight into league, id sooner see him having a savage second half rather than 1st half. looking ahead we want damien peaking in the second half of an all Ireland semi and in a final

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 17/07/2018 10:09:11    2123025

Link

This will be tough but with the new system and our forwards I'm hoping we can do it.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 183 - 17/07/2018 10:18:49    2123028

Link

Replying To GalwayOptimist:  "Was at the game Sunday and it looked like we only had 24 players togged? Army was in runners and didn't see McHugh take part in the warm up before the game or during it? Padraic Cunningham took part in the warm up. Did the two lads pick up knocks after the team sheet went in on Thursday? Anyone else notice this?"
mchugh wasnt togged and fiontan was there in his civvies too but will likely be added to panel now with conroy and duggan out....
cants see an exhausted kildare standing upt o us- they have gone to the well too many times already this year and hopefully monaghan in same boat for last round

i would keep cpmer inside as they wont have the physicality to deal with him
start varley and try get game time for army daly and cummins as well as god playing the bradshaw role

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 17/07/2018 10:33:24    2123039

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "First & foremost best wishes to Paul Conroy. Hopefully there isn't too many other injuries. hopefully eoin kerrin is ok, what a player.. good to hear an earlier post say fiontan o'currain is back training. .. hope Damien Comer has no injury, was surprised to see him coming off around 65 minutes (10 minutes before the end)? I obviously have no qualms the last day but I did wonder why sean Armstrong didn't come in, hope he's not injured?? any word on barry McHugh? do we shake it up a bit with 7 days between matches as we've a deep enough panel, e.g. Patrick Sweeney, sean Armstrong, Adrian varley, barry McHugh if available. maybe rest two of the following - brannigan / daly and dare I say comer for the second half. I love Damien comer but hes had a long year with nuig, straight into league, id sooner see him having a savage second half rather than 1st half. looking ahead we want damien peaking in the second half of an all Ireland semi and in a final"
IMO we should start our first choice 15. The thing is, further improvement is needed, and the scope is there. These players are still learning as a team, and trying to get the best out of each other. Michael Daly was unlucky with a few attempts at points - so he needs more game time. I must say Cooke's reading of play as a middleman is a joy to watch, and his foot passing - decisive and accurate. We're lucky to have quality midfield reserves, as these guys are vital when the push is needed for final 10-15 minutes. I would like to see Cein Darcy get game time the next day - possibly last 10 minutes. Our defence is turning into a Hell's Kitchen - reminiscent of Lyons and Harnan of Meath #gingerwarriors.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 17/07/2018 10:49:50    2123048

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I'd love to see Comer at centre field with Tom Flynn and having a full forward line of Burke, Armstrong, Walsh. And use Varley as an impact sub for army... or the way round, start Varley and use Armstrong as the impact sub...

Don't get me wrong I think Cooke is brilliant at centre field, but we're very thin with subs for centre field now and I would like to hold him in reserve just n case, god forbid Flynn got injured...

Lavelle

Kyne
ó ceallaigh
Kerin

Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney

Flynn
Comer

Brannigan
Daly
Kelly

Burke
Armstrong or Varley
Walsh"
To know who is coming on for who before the game is ridiculous. Army for Varley or vice versa? What if the one that starts (possibly neither) has a stormer, are you still going to take them off? One thing KW is good at on the line is he'll make decisions based on the way the game is going on that day, you can't decide who replaces who before the game even starts.

goalk111 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 17/07/2018 10:54:51    2123053

Link

isn't it great that we have so many options now
one that would work is varley at full forward
im sure many will renember his brilliant displays at full forward
He was so good at showing for and winning ball.
When we won the u21 all Ireland in limerick v cork in 2013
You had ian burke beside him in the corner picking off the points that day
Then you had comer blasting forward from midfield
And the magic of shane walsh all over the field
Tom Flynn was midfield too, liam silke in the backs
great to see so many of them at senior now
interesting to see that we beat Kildare that year in the semi final
when in all fairness they were all over us but couldn't score
despite all their possession and dominance they had
I felt they were still players there that huge potential at senior
sure enough theres 7or 8 of that Kildare u21 team playing on sunday

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 17/07/2018 10:56:30    2123054